• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

Group of like 5 alliance was farming bloody coins, so after they killed me once I kept running to them and /danced while they couldn't get anymore coins from me.

Speaking as one of the people who like to farm people for bloody coins, I can say I thank you for doing that. Makes it so I don't have to chase you for yet another + Honor Kill.

I.e., they probably enjoyed it.

And this is why I don't see why LFR can't receive titles and or mount chances in LFR. Sometimes I feel we have to deal with way more than an organized raid does.

Yeah, that would actually make LFR worse, not better.

Also, this is just the first week LFR blues. It'll get easier as people learn it.

Separately, so, Galakras. I am in the tower group so I can't see specifically how they're mucking up, but the ground group is having an issue keeping the NPC's alive. Any suggestions from the guys who raid more on how to deal with the ground groups and the best transition to Galakras as he lands (we can get him to land).

Only took 3 pulls on it, doesn't seem horrendous, but just curious for any tips.

ALSO...I am seeing a real divide between the hardcore people who came into SoO with Heroic gear and those casual guilds who barely finished ToT Normal in terms of progression. Norushen and Pride are butchering some of the casual guilds. Can't wait to see them on Galakras.

Tacitus_

Separately, so, Galakras. I am in the tower group so I can't see specifically how they're mucking up, but the ground group is having an issue keeping the NPC's alive. Any suggestions from the guys who raid more on how to deal with the ground groups and the best transition to Galakras as he lands (we can get him to land).

Only took 3 pulls on it, doesn't seem horrendous, but just curious for any tips.

Stun / grip them away from the NPCs. There's one type of enemy that will charge an NPC and start grinding away at their health extremely rapidly. Can't remember the name (could've been bonecrusher or bonegrinder or something like that), but the key is stopping them from continuing after they fire off their charge.

We usually transition when there's few enemies on the ground or if the next spawn is coming in soon. Can't really say how to to weight the options since our RL does that.

mclem

ALSO...I am seeing a real divide between the hardcore people who came into SoO with Heroic gear and those casual guilds who barely finished ToT Normal in terms of progression. Norushen and Pride are butchering some of the casual guilds. Can't wait to see them on Galakras.

We're that sort of guild! Had about five weeks of Lei Shen kills in the end. Norushen was tough - didn't get him last week - but never felt out of reach (although, as I hinted before, for the placement in the instance perhaps a slightly longer enrage would help).

Maybe I'm just naive, but I haven't seen Pride as being *that* difficult as yet. Granted, we've not had a kill, but we've had a very low-% wipe after only spending about thirty minutes on it.

One of the things I have observed of Pride which may be a difference - and the same applies to Fallen Protectors - is that both fights basically have me (as RL) giving out reminders and warnings constantly. Heck, I practically play them like an RTS in my head, particularly when I'm asking my cotank to move in advance ready to release from a prison quickly! Possibly Pride is dangerous if you don't have those constant prompts.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's highly unlikely anything cool will happen. Ashenvale has really low ceiling so you will most likely get rebounded as soon as you leave Hyjal :(

Yeah, that ^ =(

I even tried Hyjal to Azshara yesterday and got bounced basically straight down and splatted still in Hyjal -_- That was pre-levitate though, and I have to test if you'll level back out as long as you hit your apex before being bounced down, basically grind against the ceiling like I did the mountain in that last gif and then zoom forward again.

There's some other places worth trying for cross continent madness too. You can activate the item while you're mounted in the air, so I plan to take my priest friend up in a rocket, drop out, have them levitate me mid-fall, then meteor away. Might be able to hit Uldum from Felwood, or maybe from Winterspring going through Azshara and the east side of Kalimdor... so many places to try! Definitely going for EK round two as well, starting mounted and higher up. Should be fine as long as I stick to the east side and avoid Dun Morogh.

Most fun I've had in WoW in months =P

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, that ^ =(

I even tried Hyjal to Azshara yesterday and got bounced basically straight down and splatted still in Hyjal -_- That was pre-levitate though, and I have to test if you'll level back out as long as you hit your apex before being bounced down, basically grind against the ceiling like I did the mountain in that last gif and then zoom forward again.

There's some other places worth trying for cross continent madness too. You can activate the item while you're mounted in the air, so I plan to take my priest friend up in a rocket, drop out, have them levitate me mid-fall, then meteor away. Might be able to hit Uldum from Felwood, or maybe from Winterspring going through Azshara and the east side of Kalimdor... so many places to try! Definitely going for EK round two as well, starting mounted and higher up. Should be fine as long as I stick to the east side and avoid Dun Morogh.

Too bad it only have 50 charges or something like that. Just like every other fun items that last only 5 mins with a 2 hours cooldown. Why does Blizzard hate fun?

Fjordson

Well the Battlegrounds part of the legendary quest was surprisingly easy. Won both within an hour.

Now back to grinding bosses for Secrets. Ugh. I pray this only takes a few weeks. I have awful luck with sigils.

Diodiablo

Banned
We're that sort of guild! Had about five weeks of Lei Shen kills in the end. Norushen was tough - didn't get him last week - but never felt out of reach (although, as I hinted before, for the placement in the instance perhaps a slightly longer enrage would help).

Maybe I'm just naive, but I haven't seen Pride as being *that* difficult as yet. Granted, we've not had a kill, but we've had a very low-% wipe after only spending about thirty minutes on it.

One of the things I have observed of Pride which may be a difference - and the same applies to Fallen Protectors - is that both fights basically have me (as RL) giving out reminders and warnings constantly. Heck, I practically play them like an RTS in my head, particularly when I'm asking my cotank to move in advance ready to release from a prison quickly! Possibly Pride is dangerous if you don't have those constant prompts.
Pride is extremely boring as long as mechanics go, it always repeats its abilities in a cycle, but the need of vocal prompts (and curses) is absolute, else players will start getting sleepy and develop tunnel vision. Yesterday I did not call the first add and there were just me and another dps on it.

Bizazedo

Stun / grip them away from the NPCs. There's one type of enemy that will charge an NPC and start grinding away at their health extremely rapidly. Can't remember the name (could've been bonecrusher or bonegrinder or something like that), but the key is stopping them from continuing after they fire off their charge.

We usually transition when there's few enemies on the ground or if the next spawn is coming in soon. Can't really say how to to weight the options since our RL does that.

Bonecrusher. Yeah, our DK was doing a great job on the grips. Amusingly enough it seemed to be the shaman healing the adds that caused them the most trouble. And maybe not prioritizing stuns, etc....that and it was the end of the night and the DK started dying somehow.... :(.

All sorts of issues. We only raid two nights a week, however, so we expect to down him Sunday....well, we still have to make sure we stand appropriately for the flames, but still.

The earlier bosses were figured out quickly and we two shot Pride (tank miscommunication..me :(). Once we got it down, though, neither tank even got to 25 Pride before it all got wiped away for the last 30 50% or so (forget when he wipes it).

Although, amusingly, we got cocky with a few million HP left, someone didn't expect the final huge wave of adds, and the druid tank had to finish him off with everyone dead. Tense.

The earlier bosses were figured out quickly and we two shot Pride (tank miscommunication..me :(). Once we got it down, though, neither tank even got to 25 Pride before it all got wiped away for the last 30 50% or so (forget when he wipes it).

I honestly didn't like the Pride fight from a tank point of view. Sooo....boring....

Although, amusingly, we got cocky with a few million HP left, someone didn't expect the final huge wave of adds, and the druid tank had to finish him off with everyone dead. Tense.

I do agree with you, though. It's not that the fights are hard, thus far, it's just that they require reminders and communication for the early fights. Lots of timers going off and preparation.

I really like them overall thus far, though, except for maybe Pride. It just takes too long.

mclem

Yeah, that ^ =(

What restrictions does it have? I assume something along the lines of only usable in regions you can fly?

I'm curious if you could use it to get "He Shoots, He Scores" without the usual knockback method.

Bizazedo

What restrictions does it have? I assume something along the lines of only usable in regions you can fly?

I'm curious if you could use it to get "He Shoots, He Scores" without the usual knockback method.

It can't be used indoors. Like even in the Vale, it becomes unable to be used inside the Shrine. As soon as you step outside it lights up again. So, yes, it's probably just tied to if you can use an aerial mount as it was also disabled in Battlegrounds.

The 2 minute long goblin glider is amazing to use with it. As someone who still needs mounts from Malygos and the Blue Proto Drake, my next test is to see how far I can make it from Howling Fjord to Borean Tundra.

Unless Sax wants to test :).

Yeah, like Biz says, no indoors, no BGs, no raids. Probably only where flying is toggled on, like this fun little item =) http://www.wowhead.com/item=94154/

It can't be used indoors. Like even in the Vale, it becomes unable to be used inside the Shrine. As soon as you step outside it lights up again. So, yes, it's probably just tied to if you can use an aerial mount as it was also disabled in Battlegrounds.

The 2 minute long goblin glider is amazing to use with it. As someone who still needs mounts from Malygos and the Blue Proto Drake, my next test is to see how far I can make it from Howling Fjord to Borean Tundra.

Unless Sax wants to test :).

Hah, man the glider is 2 minutes? I need to drop inscription for engineering -_-, too lazy to level my engi rogue. I bet that's long enough for Fjord to Tundra, at the speed this moves :D

That goblin glider is a godsend for Timeless Isle and exploration shenanigans in general. Engineering was definately the way to go.

How are you guys finding the whole Flex Raid system to be working out? Unfortunately most of my characters are only geared enough to be just starting it rather than doing dedicated raids with a guild. Is it proving to be useful or are you even bothering with it?

Tacitus_

Bonecrusher. Yeah, our DK was doing a great job on the grips. Amusingly enough it seemed to be the shaman healing the adds that caused them the most trouble. And maybe not prioritizing stuns, etc....that and it was the end of the night and the DK started dying somehow.... :(.

All sorts of issues. We only raid two nights a week, however, so we expect to down him Sunday....well, we still have to make sure we stand appropriately for the flames, but still.

Yeah, the shamans are dangerous. We tend to cleave off the shamans while targeting totems / banners quickly when they drop and stunning the bonecrushers when they charge since they have so much HP.
Though we are pretty much overgeared for progression there since we killed most of ToT on heroic, so I'm not sure if that way is possible while you're in progression mode.

That goblin glider is a godsend for Timeless Isle and exploration shenanigans in general. Engineering was definately the way to go.

How are you guys finding the whole Flex Raid system to be working out? Unfortunately most of my characters are only geared enough to be just starting it rather than doing dedicated raids with a guild. Is it proving to be useful or are you even bothering with it?

I'm doing it on my main since they are small upgrades - and tier pieces + trinkets are always nice. Though after I've gotten those, it's dropping to casual/alt fridays for me.

mclem

Are there any tricks to grouping the adds nicely? I've only seen the fight in Flex thus far, but there were usually some who liked to sit out of range and cast. Obviously one solution is to use ranged interrupts, but is there anything nicer?

cdyhybrid

I do Flex with some friends (so at least some of the people in the raid are competent) and we fill the rest with oQueue. Most oQueue groups have ilvl requirements so that helps keep out the LFR-tier players.

Are there any tricks to grouping the adds nicely? I've only seen the fight in Flex thus far, but there were usually some who liked to sit out of range and cast. Obviously one solution is to use ranged interrupts, but is there anything nicer?

Can you Gorefiend's Grasp them?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I do Flex with some friends (so at least some of the people in the raid are competent) and we fill the rest with oQueue. Most oQueue groups have ilvl requirements so that helps keep out the LFR-tier players.

Can you Gorefiend's Grasp them?

You wouldn't happen to be US Horde by any chance? I still need a regular flex group.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've had literally 0 luck with oq/openraid for SoO. I either sign up too late to get in or sign up early enough but the raid never takes off.

Garryk

I'm leveling up my DK right now and I am about halfway through 87. This is ridiculously easier than playing my Rogue. I'm in VotFW and I'm thrashing swarms of virmen at once where I would be vanishing/running away on my rogue. I assume it will be the same when I get around to my 85 Pally as he crushed his way through the Cata content.

Anoregon

I'm leveling up my DK right now and I am about halfway through 87. This is ridiculously easier than playing my Rogue. I'm in VotFW and I'm thrashing swarms of virmen at once where I would be vanishing/running away on my rogue. I assume it will be the same when I get around to my 85 Pally as he crushed his way through the Cata content.

Solo as blood is stupid. Your damage output is still great and you are always at full hp.

Tacitus_

Assuming you mean Galakras, Mass Grip works nicely. Otherwise, tank them atop the archers since they're the only one who won't move at all.

I've had literally 0 luck with oq/openraid for SoO. I either sign up too late to get in or sign up early enough but the raid never takes off.

Haha, I went on a Flex SoO from the openraid chat channel :D

Anoregon

I'm signed up for a wing 1 flex tonight. Less than 20 people signed up, but its all DPS except for 2 heals and a tank so no guarantee I'll get in.

Anoregon

I'm sure it's a stupid complaint, but I really wish they had removed the gating on MSV, HoF, Terrace, and ToT LFR when 5.4 dropped.

Meh, having to do each wing once isn't the end of the world, and you might at least end up with something worth a transmog.

Ryan_

Buh, the urge to play is rising again. This is becoming some kind of yearly tradition...
I know it will never be as fun as Vanilla, and yet I'm still contemplating to subscribe again.
(Not as fun because my friends all quit playing and since there is no dedicated Gaf guild...)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meh, having to do each wing once isn't the end of the world, and you might at least end up with something worth a transmog.

I don't think you have to do it to get to each actual raid instance though. At least, I didn't have to do HOF and MSV to go to TOT on my warlock. Fuck am I bad at Warlock though.

I'm assuming demo lock and fire mage are lighting up the charts on RaidBots by abusing the shit out of Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen?

Buh, the urge to play is rising again. This is becoming some kind of yearly tradition...
I know it will never be as fun as Vanilla, and yet I'm still contemplating to subscribe again.
(Not as fun because my friends all quit playing and since there is no dedicated Gaf guild...)

Yeah, same here. I'm having a decent amount of fun so far just messing around, MoP has is definitely a beautiful expansion. I suppose I'll have a find a decent group to play with or I'll likely just hang it up again in a couple months. Really wish transfers and faction changes were a bit less expensive.

Tacitus_

I don't think you have to do it to get to each actual raid instance though. At least, I didn't have to do HOF and MSV to go to TOT on my warlock. Fuck am I bad at Warlock though.

I'm assuming demo lock and fire mage are lighting up the charts on RaidBots by abusing the shit out of Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen?

You have to do HoF to do ToES, but that's the only outlier.

Ryan_

Yeah, same here. I'm having a decent amount of fun so far just messing around, MoP has is definitely a beautiful expansion. I suppose I'll have a find a decent group to play with or I'll likely just hang it up again in a couple months. Really wish transfers and faction changes were a bit less expensive.

I know what you mean :)

I've had so many great experiences and memories and Vanilla will always remain my best game time. So it's probably normal that a part of me wants to relive that feeling. But it's just not the same. I tried every expansion and been on and off again once every so often without feeling the same feeling and cursing myself for wasting money again haha.
There's just nothing else that comes close at the moment. Diablo 3 was in that regard a huge dissapointment. So yeah. I'll just wait or cave in and subscribe again.

I'm signed up for a wing 1 flex tonight. Less than 20 people signed up, but its all DPS except for 2 heals and a tank so no guarantee I'll get in.

I'm wondering if I even need to bother with openraid or whatever. I'm concerned that it's gonna be a bunch of jerks yelling into the microphone, and I'm not really okay with that even when people are bad.

I want to do flex with my guild, but they have it scheduled when I'm at work. -_-

zulfate

Hey i just resubbed again! And played a pandaren on area 52 because i thought that is where the gaf guild was 2 years ago. Seems like we dont have one anymore.

So far i am having a blast but for someone who never had heirlooms going from 1-90 can seem a bit steep but fuck it im having fun with it......for now. My cousin plays and he is all about pvp but i hate it so much, he is constantly telling how to play now but i am just like-fuck you im gonna play like i want! Im digging the new talent system but it also sucks to not having a point on every level anymore.

ZenaxPure

I'm wondering if I even need to bother with openraid or whatever. I'm concerned that it's gonna be a bunch of jerks yelling into the microphone, and I'm not really okay with that even when people are bad.

I want to do flex with my guild, but they have it scheduled when I'm at work. -_-

I've been in a few different groups for flex so far from open raid and it's not so bad (and this is coming from someone who generally hates grouping with random people for anything that requires even a tiny bit of coordination). Groups are just really random, the first flex I did people used vent (and they were all cool) but the latest vent was optional.... and even though it cleared everything but Nazgrim it ended on a sour note because the raid leader was a crazy man.

Either way, so far it hasn't been that bad of an experience for me.

Tacitus_

I've had nothing but good experiences with openraid. Go for it!

Anoregon

the raid i signed up for got pushed to sunday. pffffft

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I got the urge again, started a new character on Thrall. I hope Thrall is a good server, it seems popular enough. Honestly though, what made me get the urge was Hearthstone. I can't get into that beta and all the Warcraft stuff is making me want to play a Blizzard game and the only Blizzard game besides Hearthstone that my computer can take at the moment is WoW (besides the the original Blizzard classic games, of course).

I wish there was a dedicated GAF Guild. :/

I wouldn't mind joining a guild, but I definitely don't like joining guilds that randomly send me invites. As soon as I created my character, I got a random invite with no pm at all. It's just risky joining a guild that may turn out to be bad so I think I'm going to go mainly solo on this character since WoW is now a very friendly solo game.

Ultratech

Attempted the 1st wing of SoO LFR.

Not doing that crap again anytime soon...

I got stuck doing the last two bosses, so we wiped once on Norushen and wiped on Sha of Pride.

Ended up beating Sha after 95% of the raid died, and then I was the only survivor out of whoever was left (I saw one person left who then died) and the fact that Overcome doesn't act as Mind Control in LFR helps.

But yeah, I was kinda surprised at how those fights got nerfed a bit from Flex.
The Orb stuff in the Norushen fight is random, and on Sha, there's no Tank switching.

Whooter

I wouldn't mind joining a guild, but I definitely don't like joining guilds that randomly send me invites. As soon as I created my character, I got a random invite with no pm at all. It's just risky joining a guild that may turn out to be bad so I think I'm going to go mainly solo on this character since WoW is now a very friendly solo game.

I'll take any random invite from a level 25 guild (as long as the name isn't terrible/offensive.) Make use of the all the exp buffs and whatnot, and if they turn out to suck, dump them when you're at max level.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'll take any random invite from a level 25 guild (as long as the name isn't terrible/offensive.) Make use of the all the exp buffs and whatnot, and if they turn out to suck, dump them when you're at max level.

I might take you up on that advice. I don't want to feel rushed to level, even though that is my inevitable goal. I just enjoy going at my own pace. I was just afraid a guild may be a hindrance to that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So after levelling a Ret, DK, Rogue, Feral and Warrior; I decided it's about time to try a ranged. Warlock or Hunter? I don't care about DPS or PvP rankings as those are constantly changing, just want a class that has a fun rotation and some variety. The idea of collecting Hunter pets seems cool, but everyone I talk to says Warlocks are amazingly fun and diverse since their MoP makeover.

ZenaxPure

So after levelling a Ret, DK, Rogue, Feral and Warrior; I decided it's about time to try a ranged. Warlock or Hunter? I don't care about DPS or PvP rankings as those are constantly changing, just want a class that has a fun rotation and some variety. The idea of collecting Hunter pets seems cool, but everyone I talk to says Warlocks are amazingly fun and diverse since their MoP makeover.

My personal opinion: Hunters have too much god damn button bloat in their core rotations. A lot of their skills are just buttons you hit that do damage, they don't synergize with their other skills or anything like that. If you don't mind that, or, enjoy pushing a lot of different buttons Hunter would be a good fit for you. Warlock on the other hand I find pretty fun, all of the specs are fine (as far as enjoyment goes), but, I don't play affliction too much because it feels too similar to shadow priest (which I already have). Destro is probably my favorite just because I like how the abilities play off each other (conflag for faster incinerates, pooling embers for chaos bolts when you are powered up from a buff or trinkets).

That said though, ele shaman is still my favorite ranged dps. Their core abilities play off each other in fun ways and lava burst is a really satisfying ability.

sqwarlock

I love my hunter, but they really don't have a "fun" rotation. It's pretty easy, and low-stress though. Warlocks are definitely a better pick if you're looking for in-class variety between specs and fun though.

Going from leveling my Blood DK to my elemental shaman was so painful. >_<

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I broke Warcraft. I have 7 Secrets of the Empire this week, and still haven't hit up flex SOO for the second wing and/or the last 5 bosses of TOT. Cautiously optimistic next reset will be the last time I have to do the first two wings of ToT (which are the ones I hate the most anyways.)

I think I broke Warcraft. I have 7 Secrets of the Empire this week, and still haven't hit up flex SOO for the second wing and/or the last 5 bosses of TOT. Cautiously optimistic next reset will be the last time I have to do the first two wings of ToT (which are the ones I hate the most anyways.)

The RNG gods... they can be kind too. Got 3 in SoO, none in ToT1 so I strapped myself in for another shitty ride. Then 3 more from ToT2 and 3, and I entered ToT4 at 17/20 and got one from all three bosses, phew. I was less happy and more "DAMN STRAIGHT" after only getting 1 last week =P

Bizazedo

2 weeks of SoO normal, flex & lfr, even used all my coins and I got nothing.

The one raid I missed, two items dropped that would've been for me.

I've used 6 coins (3 this week and 3 last week) and gotten nothing....makes me wonder if they broke the bad luck streak change.

RPGCrazied

Man, my frost DK walks all over my rogue's dps. I just soloed serpentine cavern, except lady vash, she is a pain. My rogue couldn't even get passed the first boss, lol.

I might try black temple now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom