• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whooter

I seem to recall (back in the day) playing in AV in the morning, having to quit to go to work, and coming home in the evening and having the same battle still raging...

Madness.

Dot50Cal

Banned
FFFFFFFFFFCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

green shot screen capture

God, so demoralizing! We have about 48 wipes on this guy, it seems like if ANYTHING (death, dc, lag spike) happens in this fight, its basically over. The timer seems really too tight. If everything goes well, its 0~4% health left.

AV in it's current form is such a relic of vanilla WoW, it's kind of funny. You can still collect armor scraps and turn in various other crap that drops off dead players to call in reinforcements, upgrade the guards that protect graveyards, etc. Heck you can still do the quests that require you get the banners from the caves and everything.

It's really surprising that AV has gone eight years essentially untouched, it's this weird window into the past. Man, on the rare occasions way back when Lokholar and Ivus + all 40 players from each faction would duke it out on the Field of Strife, talk about some epic shit.

07o0.jpg

It's trade-off though, sure AV's weren't as underwhelming as they are today - but fuck me they lasted way too long.

Games are still somewhat like that at lower levels although I haven't done them in about 2 years.

cdyhybrid

Think I'm giving up on playing alts. Just too much work to try and catch up on the legendary quest. I'll just wait until the expansion, I'm happy with just playing my Monk. Plus I have DotA2 to tide me over.

ZenaxPure

Think I'm giving up on playing alts. Just too much work to try and catch up on the legendary quest. I'll just wait until the expansion, I'm happy with just playing my Monk. Plus I have DotA2 to tide me over.

I've never bothered with the legendary quest chain on any of my alts, that is a lot of work. I'd love to do the solo scenarios with them and get the cape, but, I am pretty content just casually doing LFR with them. I think the furthest any of my alts made it was like... my priest being on the valor quest. But that just came naturally over time.

Tacitus_

-Unerring Vision of Lei Shen now has a 40% reduced chance to activate its effect for Warlocks.

Haha. I suppose that's a way of making sure it's not BiS for demo locks for this tier too.

mclem

Not overjoyed about the nerf to Eternal Flame self-healing; it's a bit too potent at full-blast (100k every <2 seconds!), but fairly weedy at lower levels.

Sha down, Galakras is, well, messy thus far. We've reached him once but didn't really judge the add status. I'm worried about DPS; it goes pretty much okay up until we have to send a tower group off, then the downstairs group struggles to keep up with the quantity of adds.

Wondering if it's worth putting our absolute best DPS downstairs. Not sure there's all that much need for the tower groups to be *fast*. Well, assuming it's normal to rejoin the downstairs fight when they're about 25% of the way through the second downstairs miniboss.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I did the legendary quests on 2 characters at the same time. Now, both of them have the cape, but never again will I do something like this if they do the same thing with the next expansion. Those 20 Secrets and 12 Runestones quests were just too much to do twice.

TimeKillr

FFFFFFFFFFCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

green shot screen capture

God, so demoralizing! We have about 48 wipes on this guy, it seems like if ANYTHING (death, dc, lag spike) happens in this fight, its basically over. The timer seems really too tight. If everything goes well, its 0~4% health left.

Heh, we had a wipe last week where he was at 23k HP left.

23k. That's a SINGLE HIT from ANYBODY. It was very demoralizing. :)

In other news, damn those hotfixes for yesterday. Wow. Big numbers, that I would think are more.. normal on PTR stuff.

Stuff like
Rip damage has been increased by 20%.
Chimera Shot damage has been increased by 50%
Ice Lance damage has been increased by 20%.
Brewmasters now deal 10% less damage with all attacks.
Flametongue Weapon Flametongue Attack effect now deals 50% more damage
Windfury Weapon Windfury Attack effect now deals 50% more damage
Wild Imps' Fel Firebolt now deals 30% less damage
Immolate damage has been increased by 30%.
Bloodthirst damage has been increased by 20%.
Raging Blow damage has been increased by 20%

These are big changes across the board. Anything 20%+ on an ability is a huge change.

The Brewmaster 10% less damage on *EVERYTHING* is a well-needed change. Even though I'm typically really not for huge across the board nerfs, but every time I've seen a Brewmaster in raids, their DPS, without even really trying, was pretty much always equal to what the best DPSers were doing. That alone is ridiculous.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I decided to do proving ground last night and got DPS gold after a few tries. I am clearly the best ever.

Dawg

At this point, I'm surprised Blizzard still knows rogues exist.

Afaik, we're the least played class... and it's been like this for quite a while. I'm usually the only rogue in an entire raid.

At this point, I'm surprised Blizzard still knows rogues exist.

Afaik, we're the least played class... and it's been like this for quite a while. I'm usually the only rogue in an entire raid.

Yea, I have been a Rogue throughout my wow life. Sucks to see a nerf to Assasin.

witness

So I randomly checked my battle.net account and saw I had a 10 day trial of Pandaria so I took advantage and downloaded the game again. Pandaria is such a beautiful continent, just amazing art. I am enjoying the story and quest progression as I'm playing through it on my DK. I played a bit of my Ret pally but I feel completely underwhelming in comparison with similar gear.

Also went through the first 5 man and it was short and sweet. I'll see how close to 90 I can get him only playing evenings after work, but I am really enjoying it so far.

scoobs

I used to play rogue, but i realized after a year or two that there were much more fun classes to play with way more interesting abilities and rotations ... i recommend u do the same.

bcl0328

So I randomly checked my battle.net account and saw I had a 10 day trial of Pandaria so I took advantage and downloaded the game again. Pandaria is such a beautiful continent, just amazing art. I am enjoying the story and quest progression as I'm playing through it on my DK. I played a bit of my Ret pally but I feel completely underwhelming in comparison with similar gear.

Also went through the first 5 man and it was short and sweet. I'll see how close to 90 I can get him only playing evenings after work, but I am really enjoying it so far.

i got a Join the Siege of Orgrimmar with 7 Days of FREE Game Time promo that expires tomorrow. i'm not sure if that includes access to pandaria though. guess i will try it and see.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm really liking my "overgeared" (526 average item lvl with the legendary cloak) ret paladin. Elites on Timeless Isle dies fast(those turtles and frogs can barely hit me) and i just like the feel of hitting stuff with my holy spells. It must be ridiculous when you're really overgeared in heroic raiding gear.
Plus, with Inquisition lasting a minute now, i don't have to reapply that thing all the fucking time.

Tacitus_

I'm really liking my "overgeared" (526 average item lvl with the legendary cloak) ret paladin. Elites on Timeless Isle dies fast(those turtles and frogs can barely hit me) and i just like the feel of hitting stuff with my holy spells. It must be ridiculous when you're really overgeared in heroic raiding gear.
Plus, with Inquisition lasting a minute now, i don't have to reapply that thing all the fucking time.

Go hit up the elites in Ordos Sanctuare if you start feeling uppity :p

Bizazedo

Sha down, Galakras is, well, messy thus far. We've reached him once but didn't really judge the add status. I'm worried about DPS; it goes pretty much okay up until we have to send a tower group off, then the downstairs group struggles to keep up with the quantity of adds.

Wondering if it's worth putting our absolute best DPS downstairs. Not sure there's all that much need for the tower groups to be *fast*. Well, assuming it's normal to rejoin the downstairs fight when they're about 25% of the way through the second downstairs miniboss.

Make sure your downstairs group is fighting in the flamestrike Aethas summons. It helps do damage to all of the adds.

Also, once the mini-boss in the tower is dead, the healer and the tank can leave immediately and come down to help. The remaining 3 should easily be able to deal with the remaining archers.

Had a fun end to the night last night. Was about to go to bed when I heard Huolon was up. I had been hanging out near the Celestials and I was aware he dies so fast, even at 1 am, but I don't have the mount......

Triggered Cinderfall's comet. I was too close to Huolon's spawn point to land directly, but triggered the Goblin Glider at an appropriate point in the arc.

I start glide in, amusingly looking at the fact that I was still a ball of fire inside the Glider, but figured I wouldn't go the route of Icarus and kept going. Huolon wasn't dying that fast....and then suddenly he was. Obviously, more people were arriving.

I was circling Huolon, but I realized there was no way I'd land before he died. I gauged the distance between myself and the ground and my position to Huolon, figured I'd Charge in mid-air or Heroic Leap to take zero falling damage and hit Huolon.

Or so I thought. When I cancelled the Goblin Glider, it looks like the effects of the comet are still in effect!. Instead of a normal free-fall as is normal, I went down like the appropriate meteor I still was and hit with a thud, taking 80% falling damage instead of heroic leaping or charging to safety.

Luckily, I still landed a Heroic Throw and a Charge / Mortal Strike to ensure I got the tag, but that was frightening (no mount).

So a lesson to my fellow meteors. You do not lose the "meteor" aspect just because you use the glider!

Go hit up the elites in Ordos Sanctuare if you start feeling uppity :p

With all three Timeless Isle buffs, food, a good Shrine 60 minute buff, and the Crystal of Insanity, even those elites die to my ilvl 524 Arms alt-spec like nothing.

Assuming I dodge Cracked Blow, anyways (and this is ignoring the big ass melee unfriendly fire elementals and high priests).

Dawg

I used to play rogue, but i realized after a year or two that there were much more fun classes to play with way more interesting abilities and rotations ... i recommend u do the same.

Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me this. Thing is, I love my rogue. I love playing as a stealth character and I've always done decent dps with it, despite blizzard fucking up the class.

I'm just so used to the rotation, abilities and the overall class. I've played a couple of other classes in my years, but I kept going back to my rogue.

Tacitus_

With all three Timeless Isle buffs, food, a good Shrine 60 minute buff, and the Crystal of Insanity, even those elites die to my ilvl 524 Arms alt-spec like nothing.

Assuming I dodge Cracked Blow, anyways (and this is ignoring the big ass melee unfriendly fire elementals and high priests).

Oh yes, they're very much farmable. You just need to stay somewhat on your toes there.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I don't know. Not too worried about this nerf. Yeah a 5% dps drop is pretty big, but we'll likely still end up being the top melee dps. It just won't be as significant of a difference between us and whoever follows behind us.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how Rogue gets nerfed despite the charts clearly showing Demo Locks and Fire Mages blowing the chart up every well above Rogues
KuGsj.gif

(yes I saw they nerfed the Imps by a ton and tore the UVLS thing down).

My only concern is that this is going to make Combat the better spec and I hate Combat.

I don't know. Not too worried about this nerf. Yeah a 5% dps drop is pretty big, but we'll likely still end up being the top melee dps. It just won't be as significant of a difference between us and whoever follows behind us.

We were pretty much killing everyone other than classes that are broken due to specific exploits (Demo Lock Doom ticks on EVLS proc). 5% isn't actually 5% either since its lowering the damage on a passive buff that increases damage by 25%, so I think its actually slightly less than 5%, and flat damage modifiers don't' take into account that crit and haste increase our resources and damage independent of how much damage they do (since critical strike rating produces more combo points + T16 T2 procs and haste increases poison procs).

Rogue is probably the most fun melee dps class in the game. Survivability, high burst and sustained dps and a useful raid cooldown? Yespls.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rogue is probably the most fun melee dps class in the game. Survivability, high burst and sustained dps and a useful raid cooldown? Yespls.

I go back and forth on Rogue, but I think there's a perception they're poorly designed that I think is actually wrong. Combo points on the player vs. the enemy pretty much never matters in practical matters with the exception of FOK spam on AoE pulls.

Assassination Rogue is actually the easiest class to play in my opinion in terms of purely doing DPS because you have a fairly significant amount of time to plan out what you're going to do, which gives you time to maneuver around to avoid stuff.

JCizzle

I go back and forth on Rogue, but I think there's a perception they're poorly designed that I think is actually wrong. Combo points on the player vs. the enemy pretty much never matters in practical matters with the exception of FOK spam on AoE pulls.

Assassination Rogue is actually the easiest class to play in my opinion in terms of purely doing DPS because you have a fairly significant amount of time to plan out what you're going to do, which gives you time to maneuver around to avoid stuff.

They're just very boring visually IMO, Blizz has a really good opportunity to add some flair going into the next expansion. Don't see why rogues can't do things like go in and out of stealth more often (even if it's just a stealth visual effect to prevent PVP imbalances). As of right now they almost look and play like leather warriors in pve once you perform your opener.

Angry Grimace

They're just very boring visually IMO, Blizz has a really good opportunity to add some flair going into the next expansion. Don't see why rogues can't do things like go in and out of stealth more often (even if it's just a stealth visual effect to prevent PVP imbalances). As of right now they almost look and play like leather warriors in pve once you perform your opener.

Subtlety does do that with Shadow Dance.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really hope I don't get totally RNG fucked this week, I am looking forward to being more than half done with Runestones.

Anoregon

The LFR's never "end", just like heroic dungeon queuing never ends.

Boogdud

Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me this. Thing is, I love my rogue. I love playing as a stealth character and I've always done decent dps with it, despite blizzard fucking up the class.

I'm just so used to the rotation, abilities and the overall class. I've played a couple of other classes in my years, but I kept going back to my rogue.

I'm in the exact same position. Been rogue since day 1, (had a priest and a pally too) did both progression raiding and warlord pvp grinds on it, quit the game after cata launched and just started playing again a couple weeks ago. It feels like I never left lol.

I've tried playing my hunter and shadowpriest but everything else to me feels so clunky compared to my rogue.

Pvp on the other hand is definitely not the same as the old days. The days of ganking and assassinating stragglers is pretty much over. It takes a minimum of a couple minutes to kill anything anymore. Which kinda sucks.

My only concern is that this is going to make Combat the better spec and I hate Combat.

Amen

JCizzle

Subtlety does do that with Shadow Dance.

Right, but all it does is activate the openers, which is only part of what the move should entail. Unless I've totally blanked on it, there is literally no visual representation at all to go along with pushing the button. A graphic like hunters camouflage would have been pretty cool to associate with that move.

Angry Grimace

Right, but all it does is activate the openers, which is only part of what the move should entail. Unless I've totally blanked on it, there is literally no visual representation at all to go along with pushing the button. A graphic like hunters camouflage would have been pretty cool to associate with that move.

I wouldn't know, I've literally never specced Sub even once.

Boogdud

I seem to recall (back in the day) playing in AV in the morning, having to quit to go to work, and coming home in the evening and having the same battle still raging...

Madness.

We had one on our server in the first couple weeks of AV that went over 35 hours long. Horde won literally 10 minutes before the server restarted.

I had several AV games where I ended up with 150+ killing blows and those weren't even the 24hour ones just the average hour/hour and a half. Good times, if not a bit excessive time-wise, even I can admit.

Don't see why rogues can't do things like go in and out of stealth more often (even if it's just a stealth visual effect to prevent PVP imbalances).

You can go in and out of stealth in pvp all the time if you know what you're doing.
In a PvE encounter I find myself using Vanish 3 times minimum.

I get what you're saying, we don't turn into levitating ascended elementals like Shaman or Illidan clones like demo warlocks but lots of effects at melee range are extremely distracting. I don't really want more than what the legendary cloak and meta gem procs already provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom