• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

I really need to stop leveling characters. I may have a problem.

I was actually thinking about this today. I am getting bored of my warrior. Have had it since BC. Raided until middle of Cataclysm and just came back. Hit 90 last week, did two raid today, just not feeling the class anymore. Burnt out from melee.

I feel like levelling a character and getting used to it until the next xpac, and then going from there. Just don't know what class. Only thing I know is that I would like a caster. Have always played melee is most games.

Hmmmm....

Garryk

Ok, I'm 30% through level 88 on my alt and I just finished up Valley of the Four Winds. Should I go to Kun Lai next or skip to an even higher level zone?

Jag

Do the intro to Kun-Lai (through the Stairs) where you have to build Westwind Rest. You'll use that flight point a bit and it's an easy bunch of XP. After that, you can do more Kun-Lai (you get a nice 24 slot pack from a quest) or head into Townlong and then in Dread Wastes at 89. Between Dread Wastes and a few 5mans, you'll hit 90 fast.

Touch

I was actually thinking about this today. I am getting bored of my warrior. Have had it since BC. Raided until middle of Cataclysm and just came back. Hit 90 last week, did two raid today, just not feeling the class anymore. Burnt out from melee.

I feel like levelling a character and getting used to it until the next xpac, and then going from there. Just don't know what class. Only thing I know is that I would like a caster. Have always played melee is most games.

Hmmmm....
I have four 90s, an 87, and an 80 with about twenty characters ranged from 50 to 70 across multiple servers. My rogue (main) is really the only one that has seem to stick with me. So I just keep going back. I think I just level out of boredom. Plus I'm not very good at doing anything else. I would like to really learn to tank but every group I get in on my Blood DK or War (lvl80) I just get shamed for not being up to par I suppose. Which puts me down and I just go back to my rogueypoo.

I do play my Boomy and Warlock quite often though. They are fun for awhile, but they are really far behind in gear and doesn't make it fun being at the bottom. though I guess that's where you have to start.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"We like the extra rarity that comes from requiring multiple Burdens to get perfectly-itemized 535 gear. The gear is very good, so we don't want it to be too easy to get a hold of the best possible pieces."

Get fucked, Blizz. 1/2 of the items are straight up useless.

Draxal

"We like the extra rarity that comes from requiring multiple Burdens to get perfectly-itemized 535 gear. The gear is very good, so we don't want it to be too easy to get a hold of the best possible pieces."

Blizz has been on a 2 step forward, 1 stumble backward for no fucking apparent reason at all pattern this expansion.

Is the undermine journal still a good place to pricecheck epics or has that been gamed to shit? Can make 2 502 lightning steel weapons at this point and I wonder if I should just gift them to guildies or if they'll make me more than 20k gold total.

Prefectly itemized 535 gear from burdens... Good one guys!

It just feels like they were too cheap to do a new 5 man like usual to allow gear catch up, so they gave us a grinderiffic island instead.

Having sat out most of the expansion I still have a ton of other things to do, but I feel a bit sorry for folks that actually have nothing more compelling to do then run around that island...

Cipherr

Gonna have to call a "Whaaaaa" on this one. The burdens can be farmed with little effort from open taggable mobs. The entire island force feeds you free 480+ epics, and LFR is already being gutted so you can sleep walk yourself to several other 500+ ilvl tier pieces, trinkets and more.

Cry harder that you didn't get perfect rolls on your burdens in the first damn 3 weeks the isle has been open....seriously. The shit is easy mode enough as is. I don't find anything about it unreasonable. My rolls have been shit too, but its not a big deal. Its really not, and I vastly prefer this to chain running some dumbass 5 man and getting my stuff ninjaed or never seeing it drop. Im not keen on the non spirit item rolls for my priest, but at least I can use them until I get a better roll.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I really hope that when the next expansion is announced at Blizzcon, that they're shooting for something like a may release.

Playing on an RP server, this whole Rebellion plotline has gone on way too long and become toxic to the point of seemingly slowly killing off a lot of the rp/playerbase hordeside. I know it doesn't affect 95% of WoW's playerbase, but I'm already getting tired of it, what its doing to my server's community.

And for the sake of said community I hope they never have another in-faction villain ever again.

kirblar

The Burden gear isn't supposed to be optimal. If it was, it'd be a terrible design decision.

Wtf. First time doing SoO LFR on my priest. First boss we BARELY kill (hit enrage, but blobs apparently don't get the bonus damage he does). Second boss, at the same time, Rook is at his 33% stage, He is at his 66% stage, and Sun is at like 90% health. I think it's going to be a fail run so I leave. I log back on later, and apparently they killed him that attempt and I got a 528 off hand in the mail. I queue again and join a group with first two bosses dead which I think is great. Run goes meh but we get through it. I think I can queue for the next part, but nope. Apparently I still have to kill the second boss. So I got loot from the 2nd boss even though I haven't killed him. ^_~

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

It just feels like they were too cheap to do a new 5 man like usual to allow gear catch up, so they gave us a grinderiffic island instead.

Having sat out most of the expansion I still have a ton of other things to do, but I feel a bit sorry for folks that actually have nothing more compelling to do then run around that island...

lolololol

Those are planned far, far ahead in advance. Usually in development or near done by the time the expansion comes out. They can't just make them in a few months.

They can't predict they will need to use them as a catch up mechanic, that's never been the intent with any added 5 mans either, if it was they wouldn't be so intricately tied into the Raid they are released with, they'd just be something wacky like Stormstout. They're meant to supplement the raid material, this time they did it with Scenarios.

strafer

New mount incoming. Again.

NewHippoMount.jpg

Diodiablo

Banned
Skeleton-wise, is the Grand Griphon that you get from the Karasang Ally faction. I love that model and the skin is nice, my old Hyppos are a bit too skinny for my worgen.

CassSept

So grinding out 7 5-man bosses over and over again to no end would be better? No no no I don't get you people.

I've just finished Flex wing 3 and it went surprisingly smooth. Probably because of raid leader requiring 540 ilvl gear :D oQueue is the best addon ever and a life-saver, I'm on a robust server but even then oQueue allows me to find pug whenever I want. That was a weird group though. We wiped twice on the unwipable Spoils (interesting encounter btw) and then oneshot Thok. Oh well. So far it's a great raid, need to see the final boss but it's easily Top 5, probably Top 3 material.

Nighte

The problem with Galakras is that there is no indication of who pulled so one ass can ruin the fight and you can't even kick him because it's impossible to know who. All my wipes on LFR Galakras were because we either a) didn't have a second tank present b) second tank wasn't zoned in. Idiots get tunnel vision and since adds on the ground hit like wussies the wipe can take forever.

Btw,

UnHWRXG.jpg

:D

I love reading Neogaf, so maybe I should start posting instead of spying :p

Wonder if I have been a little bit lucky with my Thoridal drops. 5 kills of Kiljaeden and 3 drops? :p

Congrats anyway :)

Bizazedo

I really hope that when the next expansion is announced at Blizzcon, that they're shooting for something like a may release.

Playing on an RP server, this whole Rebellion plotline has gone on way too long and become toxic to the point of seemingly slowly killing off a lot of the rp/playerbase hordeside. I know it doesn't affect 95% of WoW's playerbase, but I'm already getting tired of it, what its doing to my server's community.

And for the sake of said community I hope they never have another in-faction villain ever again.

Can you explain why it's toxic? I've actually liked it, myself. The only thing I feel was lacking was being unable to side with Garrosh.

Boogdud

Gonna have to call a "Whaaaaa" on this one. The burdens can be farmed with little effort from open taggable mobs. The entire island force feeds you free 480+ epics, and LFR is already being gutted so you can sleep walk yourself to several other 500+ ilvl tier pieces, trinkets and more.

Do you really believe this?

That's like saying the reigns of Al'ar are easily farmed. Sure it's easy to have a chance at them, but you sure as hell aren't going to get them anytime soon, or even reasonably soon. Add in the chance to make absolutely shit gear with them and it just compounds the issue.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

That's like saying the reigns of Al'ar are easily farmed. Sure it's easy to have a chance at them, but you sure as hell aren't going to get them anytime soon, or even reasonably soon. Add in the chance to make absolutely shit gear with them and it just compounds the issue.

Yeah, i've killed lots of monsters on Timeless Isle on my two 90s, and the only Burdens i've gotten were from the one-time only Blazing Chest not so far from Ordos.

ZenaxPure

I think I'd care more if they weren't showering you with epics anyway. You can get a full set of 496 gear (minus a second trinket and weapon) in like 1 hour on the island which gets you into LFR where you can get gear almost on par with timeless gear ilvl wise. Whining about burdens is some fucking first world problem shit.

Bizazedo

What "issue". 535 from Burdens are supposed to be a bonus / surprise, not your primary gearing up mechanic.

They already hurt LFR with Flex, if Burdens were easy to get and the gear easy to create, LFR would be worse than it is now.

Tacitus_

Yeah, i've killed lots of monsters on Timeless Isle on my two 90s, and the only Burdens i've gotten were from the one-time only Blazing Chest not so far from Ordos.

Personal anecdote bullshit: I've gotten three off mobs. Not that I really needed any on my main. I spent them trying to roll a ring without hit on it and the RNG was not with me on those rolls.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Can you explain why it's toxic? I've actually liked it, myself. The only thing I feel was lacking was being unable to side with Garrosh.

Plenty of players RP-wise have sided with Garrosh "In character" on my server. Hell I'm in a rebellion guild thats had quite a few face offs against our servers premiere loyalist guild.

But just like any other regular server, places like Orgrimmar are the hubs of everything including RP. But think about it from a lore perspective. Could a troll toon be "in character" and rp-ing in Orgrimmar? No that would be lore-breaking. As well as anyone who would be a rebel "in character"? Lore-breaking. Hell basically anyone who isn't an Orc or Goblin wouldn't be allowed to be in Orgrimmar right now.

The rebellion plotline colors everything. A lot of rp on rp-servers is done in guilds to have specific themes that their guild is centered around. But the rebellion regardless will effect you. It dominates the horde's plotline to the point of smothering it. You can't really ignore the civil war without well.... lore-breaking. Meanwhile on the alliance you have all manner of different guilds with all kinds of different ideas and creativity and its great, because they're not tied down to such an oppressive storyline the way the Horde is.

I love the civil war conceptually, like I said its just a bit smothering from an rp perspective given how long it has (and will given Blizzard's likely glacial pace in releasing 5.5) gone on.

Kraftwerk

Plenty of players RP-wise have sided with Garrosh "In character" on my server. Hell I'm in a rebellion guild thats had quite a few face offs against our servers premiere loyalist guild.

But just like any other regular server, places like Orgrimmar are the hubs of everything including RP. But think about it from a lore perspective. Could a troll toon be "in character" and rp-ing in Orgrimmar? No that would be lore-breaking. As well as anyone who would be a rebel "in character"? Lore-breaking. Hell basically anyone who isn't an Orc or Goblin wouldn't be allowed to be in Orgrimmar right now.

The rebellion plotline colors everything. A lot of rp on rp-servers is done in guilds to have specific themes that their guild is centered around. But the rebellion regardless will effect you. It dominates the horde's plotline to the point of smothering it. You can't really ignore the civil war without well.... lore-breaking. Meanwhile on the alliance you have all manner of different guilds with all kinds of different ideas and creativity and its great, because they're not tied down to such an oppressive storyline the way the Horde is.

I love the civil war conceptually, like I said its just a bit smothering from an rp perspective given how long it has (and will given Blizzard's likely glacial pace in releasing 5.5) gone on.

Did not know that WoW had such a strict RP community. Might transfer to one now :D

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Did not know that WoW had such a strict RP community. Might transfer to one now :D

Outside of the current issues horde-side, they're pretty great places. I'd recommend Wyrmrest Accord or Moon Guard personally. Both great servers. MG is decently larger (and has all the positives and negatives that go with that) but WrA feels pretty tight-knit despite being a high-population server.

I'd personally recommend WrA, but I'm a bit biased :D

Tacitus_

Eh, technically you're undercover in terms of lore right up until you go to the raid. If I venture to Org right now on my warlock, the guards all tell me that they're keeping their eyes on me, while the one who's holding up the trainers will say that we're about to get killed (funnily enough, they like my DK because he's an orc)
Now, because this is an MMO, you won't see the effects of you killing Garrosh until they patch that in so you get some timeline weirdness where you've both taken down Garrosh and not.

Jrmint

Gonna resub for the first time in 3 months today. What are the first things I should check out from the new patch? Also are the first couple wings of the new LFR pretty easy?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Burden gear isn't supposed to be optimal. If it was, it'd be a terrible design decision.

Except Burdens are hard to get and 1/2 of the items are underbudget such that they're arguably worse than 522s off the SPA vendor. I don't care if they have Mastery and Haste on them as opposed to hit and crit or whatever, they just should have the correct amount of stats for the ilvl - the problem is that sometimes you use them and they literally aren't an upgrade at all. I wouldn't care at all if they made them even rarer or more expensive so long as you didn't have to gamble whether it would be any kind of upgrade.

I guess I just don't think its fun to get a super rare item that turns out to be useless. In fact, its the opposite of fun, it pisses people off.

Jag

Gonna resub for the first time in 3 months today. What are the first things I should check out from the new patch? Also are the first couple wings of the new LFR pretty easy?

You'll get a quest in your log for the Timeless Isle. Check that out and upgrade your gear if you need too. It's fun hunting for Rares for a little while, but just ride around or get a mod like Rare Coordinator. Don't rely on chat messages since rares die as soon as they are mentioned in chat.

Only first two wings up and the first one is kind of easy in LFR, but the wait times are longer now with Flex.

Angry Grimace

I think I'd care more if they weren't showering you with epics anyway. You can get a full set of 496 gear (minus a second trinket and weapon) in like 1 hour on the island which gets you into LFR where you can get gear almost on par with timeless gear ilvl wise. Whining about burdens is some fucking first world problem shit.

By that logic, what isn't fucking first world problem shit? Literally your last post in the thread was whining how LFR has too many bad players despite the fact that virtually every LFR eventually succeeds regardless of the skill of the players and despite the fact you can sign up for Flex for better gear with better players, faster.

Pretending people are asking for an escalator to Everest is disingenuous, at best. Its annoying because its not fun to farm up a .5% drop and have it produce downgrades.

Boogdud

What "issue". 535 from Burdens are supposed to be a bonus / surprise, not your primary gearing up mechanic.

They already hurt LFR with Flex, if Burdens were easy to get and the gear easy to create, LFR would be worse than it is now.

The "issue" was that people were poo-poo'ing timeless isle as being "ez mode gearing to 535" compared to the old fashioned way of grinding an H-dungeon. It's not. You're just playing a different slot machine with much worse odds, without having to be in a group.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a scroll of resurrection I could bum?

Bizazedo

The "issue" was that people were poo-poo'ing timeless isle as being "ez mode gearing to 535" compared to the old fashioned way of grinding an H-dungeon. It's not. You're just playing a different slot machine with much worse odds, without having to be in a group.

It's not easy mode in that respect, you're correct. I think the main point was that it shouldn't be any easier, though.

Honestly, while I agree with the fact that they're not (and shouldn't be) a good way to get to 535, Grimace brings up an excellent point. The psychology of the shitty items they can produce is dumb and Blizzard shouldn't have done it.

They should have reduced the droprate further, but had guaranteed items you could make them into.

Tacitus_

It's not easy mode in that respect, you're correct. I think the main point was that it shouldn't be any easier, though.

Honestly, while I agree with the fact that they're not (and shouldn't be) a good way to get to 535, Grimace brings up an excellent point. The psychology of the shitty items they can produce is dumb and Blizzard shouldn't have done it.

They should have reduced the droprate further, but had guaranteed items you could make them into.

Or have the Burden be usable on the already rolled item.

But this is a silly fight. The main use for the Isle gear is to get to raids, LFR or not. And they do this with both good and shitty stats.

Boogdud

Yup totally agreed. I wonder why they didn't just add a rep grind to the island with vendors for gear instead. The whole thing really de-values the idea of an epic drop more than anything else up to now, which is saying something.

I think the whole thing was a conspiracy to kill LFR. Add in badly budgeted gear, barely scraping the minimum requirement almost instantly, then allow brand new people into LFR in the latest raid. Insert hilarity. Also, introduce flex at the exact same time. ;)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As much as I think dailies are repetitive and annoying sometimes... i much prefer doing them than killing thousands of monsters for reputation. Especially when everyone is killing them and you have to fight to hit them first. That golden dragon seems so so far away. :(

They should have just go back to something similar to 5.1. That way of doing dailies and unlocking quests that move the story forward as you get more rep was nice.

As much as I think dailies are repetitive and annoying sometimes... i much prefer doing them than killing thousands of monsters for reputation. Especially when everyone is killing them and you have to fight to hit them first. That golden dragon seems so so far away. :(

Inefficiency is a big problem with the Emperor's rep gain. Even in a group of 5 it takes ages to kill them without competition and you still have to avoid more dangerous mobs (really, who the fuck wants to even touch a High Priest?) and can get griefed to high heaven by people training you Everquest style. At their highest concentration it's still far too dangerous to get rep on the elites near Ordos.

Angry Grimace

Things I did not know: Sha of Pride is guaranteed to drop a Titan Runestone.

Tacitus_

Inefficiency is a big problem with the Emperor's rep gain. Even in a group of 5 it takes ages to kill them without competition and you still have to avoid more dangerous mobs (really, who the fuck wants to even touch a High Priest?) and can get griefed to high heaven by people training you Everquest style. At their highest concentration it's still far too dangerous to get rep on the elites near Ordos.

YMMV, I farm the elites in Sanctuary without a problem if the others places are full of players.

ampere

I was under the impression for a while that the single stat items had more of the primary stat to compensate, but yesterday I just used a bunch of tokens on a fresh 90 and I was totally wrong.
It's the same primary stat and then 900 on the single stat piece and 600 and 600 on the 2 stat piece. No words, just lol.

YMMV, I farm the elites in Sanctuary without a problem if the others places are full of players.

Aren't you a lock? I'm a tad jelly, pet's having 90% reduced AoE damage makes lock/hunters OP on the Isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom