• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

Wee, Norushen down. Went surprisingly fast down after we were forced to two heal as our 3rd healer is on a trip to Japan.

3/14 HC! Next week, Sha of Pride!

ZenaxPure

Endless mode for proving grounds should give you a pretty good idea if their dps is shit or not, the ilvl scaling being the reason why. Every 10 waves is exactly the same except each wave the mobs gain 1% extra hp. It requires you to actually understand your rotation and proper use of cooldowns to make it up to wave 30 for the title. Honestly I'd say anyone that can make it past wave 20ish probably has a pretty good understanding of how to play their class.

Bronze/Silver/Gold are all pushovers for DPS though and are best ignored for seeing if someone is shit or not.

Ultratech

My realm sucks for AH prices. The sky golem, last I checked was going for 350k and 560k.

My realm sucks for AH in general.

Though they had pretty decent prices on some mounts a while back I missed out on.

Hadn't seen any Sky Golems yet though.

Tempted to just to make one of my guys learn Engineering and learn all that crap, since I don't have an Engineer yet.

On another note, I got a Hearthstone Beta invite!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
2 now

DA and Primo, so no guranteed drop
I got my 11th from Dark Animus and went straight to Lei Shen. Which I now have to do again.

Yeah, I just started that step. 1 for 5 so far this week. Not a great start.
On the plus side you cannot get less than two since Sha of Pride and Lei Shen are both guaranteed, but I got 4 every week.

I got somewhat lucky with my last runestone. Needed 1 more and just had the last wing of ToT left. It dropped off of Iron Qon, and I was able to go turn in the quest and get the last part while the group was clearing trash to Twins.

Fjordson

I got my 11th from Dark Animus and went straight to Lei Shen. Which I now have to do again.

On the plus side you cannot get less than two since Sha of Pride and Lei Shen are both guaranteed, but I got 4 every week.
Yeah, I messed up and killed Sha in Flex before I turned in my quest to get to the Runestone step. Guessing I can't go back and rekill him for a stone on like LFR or something.

mclem

It scales, something like that shouldnt be a measurement of dps capabilities.

Actually, that's exactly the reason why I'm interested; I think too many of our DPS are showing up as adequate because they're overgeared, but their fundamental rotations/attentiveness/adaptability are flawed, and if that was fixed, it could be great.

Mind you, I'm not sure I can be *that* critical in endless mode, given I *really* struggled to get tank gold.

Actually, that's exactly the reason why I'm interested; I think too many of our DPS are showing up as adequate because they're overgeared, but their fundamental rotations/attentiveness/adaptability are flawed, and if that was fixed, it could be great.

Mind you, I'm not sure I can be *that* critical in endless mode, given I *really* struggled to get tank gold.

Getting gold in the dps one is easy. If the tank one is anything like the healing one, then you have it much harder than dps.

inter

Sigh, I just resubbed and rerolled horde side on the server all my alliance toons are on and the AH is completely empty. Cheapest bags are 60+g/ea which sucks when I have no gold. :(

RPGCrazied

I guess my hunter will be my next 90, 81 at the moment. Any cool transmog bows that you guys can think of, that is easy to solo? I'm fine with I have to be 90, just want a heads up.

Fjordson

I guess my hunter will be my next 90, 81 at the moment. Any cool transmog bows that you guys can think of, that is easy to solo? I'm fine with I have to be 90, just want a heads up.
Go for a gun :p http://www.wowhead.com/item=28581/wolfslayer-sniper-rifle

Using that on my hunter at the moment. Think it's my favourite transmog weapon I've ever had.

When I used a bow, I kinda liked this one. Easy to get the honor required for it - http://www.wowhead.com/item=34529

vocab

So, here's a curious question:

I see lots of people saying that DPS proving grounds are easy. As such, is it *not* safe to assume that someone with Gold in PG can meet the DPS requirements of normal raiding?

I fear our DPSers aren't really pulling their weight, but I'm struggling in that I don't have a clear benchmark to validate that.

logs. You could simcraft some dps to see if they are even close to that number in some fights. Not the best benchmark, but it's something.

What kind of content are you doing/current progression? are people reforged properly for their class? Fully enchanted/gemmed? Everyone have food/flasks?

Last question would be do you hit enrage timers fairly often?

Jag

I'm sick of the horrible pvp in this game, I don't like raiding. Wtf can I do in this game ?I don't want to quit after 8 years =\

Take a break.

Seriously.

I've been playing the game for 8 years too, but I've taken long breaks, most recently about 6-7 months. Came back and burned through most of the new patch content I missed and I'll probably be ready for another break until the next Beta comes out.

Nothing wrong with taking a break. It's not quitting if you come back!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I messed up and killed Sha in Flex before I turned in my quest to get to the Runestone step. Guessing I can't go back and rekill him for a stone on like LFR or something.
It won't work. Someone asked a CM they and they confirmed it won't work. One chance per week at any item for the legendary quest.

mclem

logs. You could simcraft some dps to see if they are even close to that number in some fights. Not the best benchmark, but it's something.

What kind of content are you doing/current progression? are people reforged properly for their class? Fully enchanted/gemmed? Everyone have food/flasks?
10-man Normals. People *should* be reforged properly, enchanted, gemmed, flasked and fed; guild is perfectly willing to supply everything there (bar the reforges, naturally!)

Last question would be do you hit enrage timers fairly often?

Usually for the first goes on fights, yes. That changes over time, but some fights (Durumu was a good example) never really got comfortable. In this tier we wiped to Norushen's enrage a *lot*, and had quite a few wipes to Sha's soft enrage post-30%. We're now at a brick wall on Galakras, which isn't exactly a good fight to benchmark for DPS, but I'm thinking we could probably be more comfortable with various sets of adds; nevertheless, the problem there is actually more getting a grip on P2 than DPS

Fact is, I think our DPS is actually acceptable - but I think it's acceptable because people are well-geared, not because they're playing their characters well. We occasionally have worse-geared characters with us when we Flex, and they can often compete well with our guildies, which is worrying me.

It may simply be a cloak thing, of course. There's still a good few who haven't got theirs Legendary yet. One of our already-good hunters only got it yesterday, so I'm hoping Galakras with him in the team will be a better experience.

Angry Grimace

Do I need to hit exalted before I can move onto Runestones?

Exalted is very easy to get though. Stand in the Courtyard on IOT and chain pull those Mogu animator guys with a Guild Flag up. You can even get OQ groups that do nothing but kill these dudes.

Started off great this week with 4 secrets. Just need 3 more pieces and I have all of tot left. Gonna be pissed if I don't get to the next part this week.

Jrmint

Any of you guys have much experience with the open raid website? Have you had good results?

I've just started using it, but one problem seems to be healers not signing up for events.

Fjordson

Communication is also a skill many people in WoW could improve. So many wipes I've had in pugs could have been averted by someone simply speaking up and asking for clarification on a simple mechanic. But nobody talks and people die to really basic shit.

Though I should say this isn't as much of a problem in Mists. Especially with flex pugs on my server. The raid leader almost always has a Ventrilo or Mumble server for the raid and people have generally been good at asking questions if they don't understand something. Still get the occasional mute who "doesn't like vent" and inevitably stands in fire, but overall it's better than it used to be.

mclem

Communication is also a skill many people in WoW could improve. So many wipes I've had in pugs could have been averted by someone simply speaking up and asking for clarification on a simple mechanic. But nobody talks and people die to really basic shit.

When I started raid leading, I was well aware of the importance of communication - too much so, in that I very quickly fell into a trap that's pretty much the exact opposite - a tendency to use too many words. Communication is important, but even more useful - and difficult to perfect - is the skill to convey the most essential information quickly and succinctly.

On a similar note, I can think of a couple of raiders who I sometimes have to shut down quickly when he starts talking about why he died while we're still fighting. There's a... I'm hesitant to use the word selfishness, because that implies more malice than I'm wanting to say; I'll use 'unawareness'. An unawareness that in a 10-man raid, they are not and cannot be the central focus of what's going on; the fact that there's nine people doing their stuff who are trying to focus on a central role and can't afford to divert brain attention trying to parse someone who isn't giving them pertinent information.

ZenaxPure

Hah, I suppose so. But insofar as using it to grade your DPS, if they're not failing movement stuff, the Proving Grounds aren't that useful.

Like I mentioned before, endless is a different story for dps. It's pretty perfect for seeing if someone can actually do their rotation since the waves are on a rotation (10 repeating) and each wave the mobs gain 1% more hp. Wave 10 is literally a patchwerk-style encounter where you have to kill a non-moving target before the timer runs out. On Wave 20 it has 20% more HP, 30% on 30 etc.

Anyone should be able to do wave 10, if dps can't make it past wave 20 I would be worried about them. If they can do wave 30 they should be fine.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What is the best way to use Elixir of Ancient Knowledge? I heard they nerfed the spot in Deepholm, but running Stone Core over and over seemed like a pretty good way.

Fjordson

On one of the last Brawler's Guild fights (maybe the last?) Ahoo'ru. That mount is almost mine!

Need to watch some videos on him before I try that again :lol got warped into the arena and died in like 10 seconds to a bunch of floating orbs.

TheYanger

What is the best way to use Elixir of Ancient Knowledge? I heard they nerfed the spot in Deepholm, but running Stone Core over and over seemed like a pretty good way.

Deepholm still works ok. idk what 'spot' you mean, but I loaded the initial...8? quests up, popped a potion, and did 82-85 in 55 minutes the other day.

On one of the last Brawler's Guild fights (maybe the last?) Ahoo'ru. That mount is almost mine!

Need to watch some videos on him before I try that again :lol got warped into the arena and died in like 10 seconds to a bunch of floating orbs.

That's the last of the regular ranked fights. And it's utterly terrible. I spent so much on repairs. But I love the mount. Easily one of the more rare mounts I have since most the rest are rare purely from being lucky drops and not skill based.

ampere

If I'm leveling an enhancement shammy, should I get a second BoA fist weapon - http://www.wowhead.com/item=92948 - or should I use the Mass of McGowan BoA mace?

I guess the fist weapons will be a bit better since hit rating > other stats to cap, and you almost never have much hit rating while leveling.

I'm falling for Heartstone... I bought a $2.99 pack x_X
I'm enjoying it too. It's neat to have a Warcraft universe card game that's a video game. I'm over buying physical trading cards, but I still enjoy card game mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom