• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
2 weeks until Blizzcon! I really wish the new expansion info would leak early. Did it for MoP? I can't remember. Seems like it was a few days before Blizzcon. At least the title came out.

They are pretty good at keeping this underwraps.

The only thing that leaked was the name through people looking at trademarks, but everyone dismissed it because everyone said that Pandaria was a joke thing, and some Blizz interview (Chitlon, I think) said it wasn't for a "main product" or whatever.

We haven't even had any official trademarks or anything.

Boogdud

Yeah, true. Love the trailers. Though in my opinion MoP was/is the weakest expansion. I hope we go back to BC/wrath type zones and tone.

I'm just so damn tired of pandas and the whole theme. Most expansions have had a theme, yes, but the whole panda thing is driven so hard over the head in mop it's ridiculous. Just not seeing every-single-npc being a panda (with a name I won't remember 3 seconds after talking to him/her) will be a nice change.

Mop didn't feel like I was in the warcraft universe anymore. It felt like I was in a cheap novelty gift shop.

Let's get back to wow shall we? We spent an entire expansion on a race that was basically a couple hired grunts in a warcraft expansion.

Edit: I know I sound like a hater with this, I shouldn't flu-post...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I didn't mind the pandas that much, but it will be nice change to go into an expansion with a more serious tone. To get out of that constant asian theme. And that super happy inn music is getting on my nerves lol.

zulfate

I'm just so damn tired of pandas and the whole theme. Most expansions have had a theme, yes, but the whole panda thing is driven so hard over the head in mop it's ridiculous. Just not seeing every-single-npc being a panda (with a name I won't remember 3 seconds after talking to him/her) will be a nice change.

Mop didn't feel like I was in the warcraft universe anymore. It felt like I was in a cheap novelty gift shop.

Let's get back to wow shall we? We spent an entire expansion on a race that was basically a couple hired grunts in a warcraft expansion.

Edit: I know I sound like a hater with this, I shouldn't flu-post...

Seems like blizz is running ojt of ideas and really who can blame them, there is a lot of work that goes into mmo the lore was bound to take a hit. I agree we need a back to wow universe feel. Give me a dark brooding expansion.

Fjordson

I like the Pandaria content creatively. I think it all looks great and some of the MoP races and enemies have been really interesting.

But I wouldn't mind a darker theme next go 'round either. It's part of why I loved Wrath so much. I thought Northrend was a really well-made and cohesive continent and I loved the bitter-cold atmosphere.

strafer

World of Warcraft: Rise Of The Legion

BELIEVE!

Imagine the cinematic.

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Tacitus_

What are you guys on about? MoP has awesome lore. Probably the best lore bits in all of the Warcraft games -- and no, WC3 isn't that game. Damn thing introduced purple elves, bipedal cow indians, orcs were originally a peaceful society (that had names like Skullsplinter and Spinebreaker, sounds damn peaceful, right?). BC had awful lore as well and that's maybe my favourite expansion, with it's space goats with dimension traveling space crystals and other less minor issues.

mclem

I didn't mind the pandas that much, but it will be nice change to go into an expansion with a more serious tone. To get out of that constant asian theme. And that super happy inn music is getting on my nerves lol.

I keep thinking the inn music is going to segue into Urban Spaceman.

I have a similar issue with Sting's Desert Rose and the M*A*S*H theme (Suicide Is Painless)

Bisnic

What are you guys on about? MoP has awesome lore. Probably the best lore bits in all of the Warcraft games -- and no, WC3 isn't that game. Damn thing introduced purple elves, bipedal cow indians, orcs were originally a peaceful society (that had names like Skullsplinter and Spinebreaker, sounds damn peaceful, right?). BC had awful lore as well and that's maybe my favourite expansion, with it's space goats with dimension traveling space crystals and other less minor issues.

The best lore in MoP is stuff concerning the Alliance, the Horde and Wrathion, especially in the patches following the release of the game. I didn't really care about that panda's farm problem with his giant carrots, or that weird guy who needs "luckydos", or that panda who wants to meditate with me or mogus and mantids in general. 5.0 lore was uninteresting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The moment I got the legendary I stopped caring. I guess that's the problem with not being in a regular raid guild.

Boogdud

The best lore in MoP is stuff concerning the Alliance, the Horde and Wrathion, especially in the patches following the release of the game. I didn't really care about that panda's farm problem with his giant carrots, or that weird guy who needs "luckydos", or that panda who wants to meditate with me or mogus and mantids in general. 5.0 lore was uninteresting.

Agreed.

Also, I wasn't talking so much about lore, but the setting and the race in general.

All of pandaria felt to me like side quests. Like the entire continent and quests should have been an optional side-quest area of a real expansion. The whole island could sink into the sea and azeroth wouldn't notice. But that's just me.

mclem

Well, I might be in a minority, but I thought Pandaria's lore was great. I think possibly the bit that people take issue with is that its lore existed in a bubble, mostly independent from the established story arcs - but I think that's unfair. For one thing, part of the story is related to the influence the Horde and Alliance *has* on Pandaria, and the other part is the story of Pandaria itself, which was revealed slowly and carefully through questing and was actually reasonably intelligent; somewhat smarter than "We'll go kill Illidan... because he's there, largely."

Lorewalker Cho was a great character, quests/events he was involved in had great lore and story telling. Kun Lai was my favorite zone when it comes to the storyline, questing and lore.

I think MoP was fine lore wise, but it wasn't a dark expansion which I feel like a lot of people like.

The klaxxi stuff was the best part of MoP. The thunder king was average at best.

Every non-grindy part of the legendary cloak questline is the best lore stuff they put into MoP.

Klaxxi Awakener chain comes second.
"I'm awake! BLUAEUGRAUUEERGUHHHH"

The defense of Stoneplow comes 3rd.

The Thunder King stuff was a little overplayed, but I didn't mind the Zandalari bits. The way it plays out you almost end up feeling sorry for them.

Boogdud

So is there any realistic way for a non-raider (I just do lfr and I'm not in a raiding guild) to compete the legendary quest? I just started back up right before 5.4 and missed basically all of panderia's initial raids, etc. I'm at "fear itself" and I notice a lot of the quests require completing raids that nobody does in lfr anymore. Should I just write it off at this point?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So is there any realistic way for a non-raider (I just do lfr and I'm not in a raiding guild) to compete the legendary quest? I just started back up right before 5.4 and missed basically all of panderia's initial raids, etc. I'm at "fear itself" and I notice a lot of the quests require completing raids that nobody does in lfr anymore. Should I just write it off at this point?

People do all of the raids in LFR all of the time. You can do it without any problem.

You are at the point of the quest where you need to kill the Sha of Fear and the you will have to do three weeks of VP capping (which is boring). After that, you can get every item in SOO AND TOT. The only thing you will have problems doing is getting the Empowered Spear part that requires fighting Nalak. I suggest you install OQueue to do that, there are a lot of Nalak raids on there, but unless you're on a big server, nobody will be doing it normally.

Tamanon

Banned

Well, the only two quests that require old raids is the Sha of Fear kill and I think a Throne of Thunder kill. Just hop in the ToES LFR queue and wait, it'll pop eventually. Beyond that, the rest of the stuff you can get from Siege.

Cipherr

Is this actually true though? Have you queued? Or did you just assume noone ran those, because I'm still running the very first raids in LFR for my alts that never did the questline currently. I'm still able to get groups for those runs, and ther are lightning quick because theres always a few overgeared people in them for some reason.

Fjordson

Yeah, the raid stuff shouldn't be too much of a hassle with LFR. I can still get into that first Mogu'shan raid in less than 30 minutes.

Bisnic

People do all of the raids in LFR all of the time. You can do it without any problem.

You are at the point of the quest where you need to kill the Sha of Fear and the you will have to do three weeks of VP capping (which is boring). After that, you can get every item in SOO AND TOT. The only thing you will have problems doing is getting the Empowered Spear part that requires fighting Nalak. I suggest you install OQueue to do that, there are a lot of Nalak raids on there, but unless you're on a big server, nobody will be doing it normally.

Actually, you don't even need to kill Nalak, no? I remember my two 90s just throwing the quest item on Nalak and running away from him, letting the spawning add slowly die, or something like that.

Actually, you don't even need to kill Nalak, no? I remember my two 90s just throwing the quest item on Nalak and running away from him, letting the spawning add slowly die, or something like that.

It's hard to outlast the constant 50k damage hits if you're alone. With three (including heals) I barely survived this tactic.

Bisnic

It's hard to outlast the constant 50k damage hits if you're alone. With three (including heals) I barely survived this tactic.

Weird, i don't remember having this much trouble soloing this. I suppose my mage mirror images + invisiblity and my paladin heals + divine shield were enough, just a matter of having the right class i guess.

Salamando

Weird, i don't remember having this much trouble soloing this. I suppose my mage mirror images + invisiblity and my paladin heals + divine shield were enough, just a matter of having the right class i guess.

The key is to have something that can despawn Nalak (Wowhead people recommend the Salyin Battle Banner) and to be able to run away from the add pretty quickly. For my priest, this meant throwing spear -> Spectral Guise to despawn him -> Body and Soul to run away.

Fjordson

Yeah, I just disengaged after I threw it and then feign deathed so Nalak wasn't on me. Easily outran the add and finished it.

Granted this was early last month, dunno if those sorts of things will still work.

Bizazedo

Klaxxi are awesome and more than a few people didn't want to kill Kovok when we got to the Paragons.

I'm going to use that as an excuse for why it took us a few hours to down them in Normal, and not the fact that it's not very forgiving of tank mistakes at two separate points.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Klaxxi are awesome and more than a few people didn't want to kill Kovok when we got to the Paragons.

Hah, that was literally like the first thing I said when I got to that fight for the first time. "Aww man I knew kovok when he was a baby!"

Tacitus_

I've soloed it on a warrior (which was a huge pain in the ass) and a warlock (far more reasonable). Just gotta kite the boss to the guards near the summoning stone and load up on self heal / mitigation.

mclem

We downed Nazgrim in two pulls tonight (much better than last week), and got Malkorok down too! Three wipes into spoils, we didn't realize that it takes more crates than Flex to fill the meter. It almost seems like it needs to be every box in the room?
I didn't get that impression from my attempts, although I will admit I didn't finish the room. Still, I believe that when I did my usual route that gets ~=44 energy, I had 44 energy at the end of it. I'll double-check next time I'm in there.

Got a 'kill' today, and confirmed it - the numbers are exactly the same as flex. My usual initial run along the back wall of the room came up with the same 45 energy we got in Flex.

Slayerx

ZNYIPxt.jpg

Wooo.

Fjordson

Cloak day today. Excited to finish this.

Also, I had no idea you could coin flex bosses multiple times per week. Work is going to have me pretty busy this week, so if I can't get into a normal SoO run I'm definitely going to coin Sha in flex twice for his cooldown reduction trinket. I want that damn thing, it dominates the best in slot list for hunters right now. Like the top 5-6 slots are all occupied by that trinket from the various raid difficulties (heroic warforged, heroic, warforged, normal and then flex).

Boogdud

Is this actually true though? Have you queued? Or did you just assume noone ran those, because I'm still running the very first raids in LFR for my alts that never did the questline currently. I'm still able to get groups for those runs, and ther are lightning quick because theres always a few overgeared people in them for some reason.

I tried a couple nights in a row and the queue was an hour and eventually went to "--" so I just stopped trying. Maybe I'll try this weekend. Sounds like I was looking at old information about the quest.

It's pretty confusing coming in when there are like 3 phases to this massive thing and I haven't done any of them (because I wasn't around). Half the time I thought I was doing the cloak, then the quest is referring to a gem then a weapon. I found a decent guide on wowhead finally.

Tacitus_

I tried a couple nights in a row and the queue was an hour and eventually went to "--" so I just stopped trying. Maybe I'll try this weekend. Sounds like I was looking at old information about the quest.

It's pretty confusing coming in when there are like 3 phases to this massive thing and I haven't done any of them (because I wasn't around). Half the time I thought I was doing the cloak, then the quest is referring to a gem then a weapon. I found a decent guide on wowhead finally.

The day lockouts reset (tue for US, wed for EU) or the day before it usually have the fastest queues as people are rushing to do them or going at the last minute. You should try queuing then.

Angry Grimace

You can't feasibly do that without trickery. Its less of a pain to just queue for Nalak in OQueue.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Got some bracers from Ordos! Finally he drops something! But then I had no drops at all in flex 1&2 D: What a streak! Hope my coin roll on Immersius drops that trinket tomorrow in our raid.

Tomboy

Neo Member
Is anyone else who uses Dominos having problems with it since the patch? I updated to the newest version of the addon, but I keep getting the following error:

dominoserrormessage.png

It happened when I hit 'k' to open the professions window. If I click disable, it loads the default UI; if I click ignore, I lose my action bars entirely.

ETA: Seems like the problem is the spellbook. I don't have any problems with other buttons, but that one makes that error message pop up.

Bisnic

Got some bracers from Ordos! Finally he drops something! But then I had no drops at all in flex 1&2 D: What a streak! Hope my coin roll on Immersius drops that trinket tomorrow in our raid.

Speaking of Ordos, is it just my server, or is there barely any groups in the general chat looking for people? I always see "LFM Celestials", but Ordos? Very rarely. I know not everyone can fight him because you need the legendary cloak on your account, but still...i remember it being easier to find a group in the first weeks of 5.4, and that was when less people could fight him!

Fjordson

Is anyone else who uses Dominos having problems with it since the patch? I updated to the newest version of the addon, but I keep getting the following error:

dominoserrormessage.png

It happened when I hit 'k' to open the professions window. If I click disable, it loads the default UI; if I click ignore, I lose my action bars entirely.
Exact same thing is happening to me, except the addon in question is Skada. Had to just disable it, it was popping up constantly whenever I looked at the map.

Also, this person in my flex group like 10 minutes ago said they were having the same problem with some other UI mod. Guess the patch broke a bunch of addons.

Boogdud

Exact same thing is happening to me, except the addon in question is Skada. Had to just disable it, it was popping up constantly whenever I looked at the map.

Also, this person in my flex group like 10 minutes ago said they were having the same problem with some other UI mod. Guess the patch broke a bunch of addons.

Same thing with the Razer Naga addon.

Fjordson

Fuck me. Can't beat Yu'lon's challenge. I want this goddamn cloak =[

edit: got it. Flasked up, 300 agility food, pre-potted, and then just zerged the shit out of him.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Fuck me. Can't beat Yu'lon's challenge. I want this goddamn cloak =[

edit: got it. Flasked up, 300 agility food, pre-potted, and then just zerged the shit out of him.

Uh, yu'lon is the caster dps challenge. Melee dps are meant to do Tiger.

Fjordson

Got my cloak =D love the proc effect, love the DPS increase. And I'm up to 550 item lvl now.

In sadder news, Sha once again refused to drop the trinket on flex even with a bonus roll. Gonna run that shit again and coin it a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom