• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thank you Reddit.
zsZ8GP7.jpg

Needs more Skitty.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rösti;88594070 said:
Possible leak (another from MapleEve at MMO-Champion, who also posted some cryptic details from a Chinese localization staff member). Regarding the timeline in Warlords of Draenor:

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ne-new-raid-from-5-5-World-Event-to-Patch-6-5

Doesn't seem too farfetched.

Seems more legitimate than the others. Looks interesting.

That...sounds terrible. We fight Garrosh and Deathwing again? Another Saurfang boss? Garrosh is the last boss of an expansion again?

Why not move forward with a BL attack on Azeroth...instead of going back in time. Time Travellers as a faction is worse than space goats.

Yeah some of it sounds like bullshit too though

Rösti;88594070 said:
Possible leak (another from MapleEve at MMO-Champion, who also posted some cryptic details from a Chinese localization staff member). Regarding the timeline in Warlords of Draenor:

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ne-new-raid-from-5-5-World-Event-to-Patch-6-5

Doesn't seem too farfetched.

That...sounds terrible. We fight Garrosh and Deathwing again? Another Saurfang boss? Garrosh is the last boss of an expansion again?

Why not move forward with a BL attack on Azeroth...instead of going back in time. Time Travellers as a faction is worse than space goats.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm cool with the idea that Garrosh is involved in the initial setup for the xpac, like he escapes and flees through the dark portal or something, but having him be heavily involved just seems like such a mistake that no one wants. The whole point of the Pandaria story arc culminating in SoO was so that the story could progress beyond him, so we better actually be moving on to new loredudes.

Lanigan

Neo Member

While I understand that they don't want to shell out every possible lore world/bad guy, seems they're saving too much content for future expansions.

Really hope it's not time travel/recycled content.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The only thing that give this "leak" some sort of credibility is because of all the visions of time that we see in the Siege of Orgrimmar with the Timeless Isle quests. Why would Blizzard show all of this if the next expansion is focused around the Burning Legion like most people think? I'm not saying any of this leak bullshit will actually happen though, the guys who made it could have just build all of this crap after seeing these visions.

I'm mostly curious about the vision where most
faction leaders are dead, put on spikes in Stormwind.
Will that actually happen? I kinda doubt it, unless its another "What if..." future like that 5 man released near the end of Cataclysm.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm mostly curious about the vision where most
faction leaders are dead, put on spikes in Stormwind.
Will that actually happen? I kinda doubt it, unless its another "What if..." future like that 5 man released near the end of Cataclysm.

I'm pretty sure that was a just a "this is what happens if we don't stop Garrosh" vision, reinforcing the importance of our victory in SoO.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm pretty sure that was a just a "this is what happens if we don't stop Garrosh" vision, reinforcing the importance of our victory in SoO.

That make sense, but, (I'm not there yet) isn't there also another vision showing a bronze drake dying near the Caverns of Time? That one is a bit more mysterious.

It's also the setting for the last phase of Garrosh on heroic, but yeah, it's just a vision of a possible future.

--

Pretty good loot week! So even though I told myself I was finished doing LFR, I thought I'd get a few pieces to round things out with. You know how it is >_>

DK finally gets a weapon from SoO, first wing I queued for. Hey I have 3pc? Why not try for 4. Siegecrafter drops shoulders, woo, gtfo. My trinkets are old/5.2. Let's get new ones. Thok drops his, and now I just need the one from Galakras, a quick kill and leave every week. I'll take it.

Lock got a helm from Ordos, cool. Trinkets are also old/5.2, need one from Immersus and Dark Shaman (ughhhh). Get the Dark Shaman one =D, so also don't mind repeating just an Immersus kill each week.

Hunter was looking good, have a weapon and trinkets from finishing up the legendary quests. Rest of the gear I'll replace from Ordos eventually. Have a ToT ring though, Ordos doesn't drop those *sadface*. Well, I need to get SoO3 and 4 done once each just to finish Wrathion's quest, whyyyyy not, I'll queue for SoO3. Got the ring from Malkorok, and incidentally also replaced a 510 T15 chest with one from Spoils (and we one shot all the bosses, take that Monday LFRs!).

TLDR: 7 new shiny loots for 3 characters from only a couple wing's worth of bosses, woo.

Anoregon

I hope any return to Outland makes good use of Rexxar. It's a shame he never showed up in Pandaria, seeing as he was bros with Chen during the horde frozen throne campaign.

Bizazedo

It would be the height of stupidity for the end boss of the next expansion to be Garrosh. To pile on and have Deathwing in there as well compounds it.

There's no way they're that stupid.

That being said, I could see the next expansion (or maybe the one afterwards) involving a redemption for Garrosh due to what the monks have taught him.

idlewild_

Like "lore issues" have ever stopped Blizzard before.

Yeah, but there are a few that are really impossible to ignore here, a few posts from that thread provided some of the big ones better than I could:

1. The Stormreaver Clan wasn't formed until after Gul'dan came to Azeroth.

2. Gul'dan was a shaman until he made contact with the Burning Legion and began practicing Fel Magic/became a warlock.

3. Deathwing didn't flee to Outland until between the First and Second Wars. (After Dark Portal was opened)

4. Without the Legion's influence, Medivh would never have learned of the orcs. Without the cooperation of Medivh/Sargeras on the Azeroth side, the Dark Portal would not have been built. Without the Dark Portal, the orcs couldn't invade the Eastern Kingdoms.

Edit: How many people did we bring with us to the alternate timeline too? They listed the Wildhammer clan as being there. Thrall was an infant after the second war, so I guess we brought him along too. The last raid involved invading EK, so I guess the Dark Portal was opened at some point during the expansion? Where is the Burning Legion in all of this? It just doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, but there are a few that are really impossible to ignore here, a few posts from that thread provided some of the big ones better than I could:

Edit: How many people did we bring with us to the alternate timeline too? They listed the Wildhammer clan as being there. Thrall was an infant after the second war, so I guess we brought him along too. The last raid involved invading EK, so I guess the Dark Portal was opened at some point during the expansion? Where is the Burning Legion in all of this? It just doesn't make much sense.

I definitely think it's fake, but that's because there are probably very few people who know the entire plan for the next expansion by patch. And those people (people like Metzen, etc) probably aren't going to spill the beans.

I'm just not sure "lore" is something that could really stop Blizzard and Metzen from doing something they want to do.

Tamanon

Banned
Blizz did a really smart thing in partnering with Bibi to ensure his silence on the big reveals. Plus it gives them an avenue to throw out smokescreens.

pantsmith

The pieces are all there for a time travel expansion.

1) The Timeless Isle was just introduced, alongside a new faction who has previously held little to no significance to the story (The Timewalkers). Apparently they're also adding a "Timewalker" feature to the game for players to use content at the intended levels, which does not seem like a coincidence.

2) Wrathion, desperate to concoct an even greater scheme after the Siege of Orgrimmar didn't go his way, is hanging out on the Timeless Isle and has probably noticed the implications of time travel by now. I have no doubt that a naive young black dragon desperate to do what he considers Azeroth's best interest would even consider something as stupid as changing the timeline.

3) Garrosh Hellscream, as a character, has fallen as low as a character can go, and has no chance at redeeming his or his father's name... aside from traveling back in time and living it up there instead. It's either that or prison. I'm sure he's already been driven crazy from the humiliation hes faced.

4) Thematically, Garrosh meeting his father and trying to undo any kind of responsibility for his/their actions is exactly why time travel is best avoided, and would conclude his narrative arc in a really interesting way. This would also create a really interesting parallel where Wrathion can go back in time and bond with the father he never had, before he was crazy and leaving Wrathion a huge mess to clean up.

And I'm sure just about everyone has someone they want to see again (Baine+Cairne, Thrall+Durotan, Varian+Lothar, Jaina+Khadgar, etc). Its a rather convenient way to bring characters back without actually bringing them back.

5) Following up an expansion about the dangers and destruction of war with an expansion about why we need it? Its kind of genius, and uniting the factions to make sure they create the tension that drove them apart to begin with would flesh out the mythos and philosophy of the series in a weirdly cool kind of way.

For further reinforcement, Nozdormu's stance on policing time at the moment is that he couldn't care less, and his influence doesn't extend past Azeroth (even if he still had all his powers, which he doesn't). Mages have already started working time travel out on their own, and an expansion where the implications of lawless time travel come to a head would be a good way to work it out of the plot and never (ever) bring it up again. Which I'd like a whole lot.

Also, prediction: Medivh is timeless and has been hanging out between time because hes cool/crazy like that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The big problems I have with your post - Having an expansion where the story has no real progression as we merely return things to the status quo is going to feel like little more than a filler arc, and is going to do nothing to stem the bleeding sub count. Either that or we purposefully "ret-con" the story with our characters, which is little better. I don't see how a time travel expansion could follow any path but those two. It also continues the story focus on the horde, which has been a major complaint over the length of this expansion given Cata's focus on Green Jesus and this one with Garrosh being the big bad. It also results in having Garrosh as a villain for a second expansion in a row, which makes things feel stale and overdone.

Which is basically why I will probably unsub if these rumors are true.

Edit: To be fair it would be great as a quick single-tier patch. As an entire expansion? Fuck. That.

Anoregon

Yeah, a Hellscream-centric expansion in which nothing new actually happens is certainly not what a lot of people want for the game. Gotta keep it moving forward. What's going on in Outland and other remnants of Draenor now has far more potential.

The big problems I have with your post - Having an expansion where the story has no real progression as we merely return things to the status quo is going to feel like little more than a filler arc, and is going to do nothing to stem the bleeding sub count. Either that or we purposefully "ret-con" the story with our characters, which is little better. I don't see how a time travel expansion could follow any path but those two. It also continues the story focus on the horde, which has been a major complaint over the length of this expansion given Cata's focus on Green Jesus and this one with Garrosh being the big bad. It also results in having Garrosh as a villain for a second expansion in a row, which makes things feel stale and overdone.

I don't think that an expansion that does little to advance the story would inherently increase (or fail to stop) the sub losses. Something like another Orc-themed expansion, though, yeah, I could see that.

But bringing back a lot of characters that people like is - I think, at least - a pretty solid plan to bring back players. If done the right way.

What are the chances of the next expansion that's announced at blizzcon coming out early springish/late winterish?

I'm already suuuuuuper bored of 5.4, and with all the Titan devs back in WoW it shouldn't take thaaat long.

Tamanon

Banned
What are the chances of the next expansion that's announced at blizzcon coming out early springish/late winterish?

I'm already suuuuuuper bored of 5.4, and with all the Titan devs back in WoW it shouldn't take thaaat long.

I'd say probably early summer for the expansion personally.

And it'll definitely involve the Burning Legion, minimal amount of this time travel nonsense people keep making up.

idlewild_

Unlikely, they do 3+ months of beta which would put the release date around that time if they did a short beta and started it immediately after blizzcon. Realistically they might be able to squeeze it in by late spring/early summer.

pantsmith

Edit: To be fair it would be great as a quick single-tier patch. As an entire expansion? Fuck. That.

Yeah, it totally would be a filler arc. No denying that at all. It would be Blizzard scrambling to drag the story out because they only have two expansions of actual plot left.

The key here will be new models and classic raids, which is basically all they have left to keep people around.

Our Garrosh has been "defeated" in a way that can't be undone, and going back in time is the ultimate form of idealized escapism. I'm not sure he'd be the antagonist so much as he'd be the catalyst for a much bigger problem, especially because his father isn't going to just pass off leadership to some orc claiming to be his son (though I'm sure he'll listen to him).

Keep in mind I loathe time travel. I wanted a South Seas expansion. But the pieces are all there, and it would make too much sense for them to make a really fanservice-ccentric expansion where all the classic characters come back. We're not just talking orcs here, but just about any interesting character from previous Warcraft games.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yeah, it totally would be a filler arc. No denying that at all. It would be Blizzard scrambling to drag the story out because they only have two expansions of actual plot left.

The key here will be new models and classic raids, which is basically all they have left to keep people around.

Which simply isn't enough. Blizzard can't afford to be lax right now.

Our Garrosh has been "defeated" in a way that can't be undone, and going back in time is the ultimate form of idealized escapism. I'm not sure he'd be the antagonist so much as he'd be the catalyst for a much bigger problem, especially because his father isn't going to just pass off leadership to some orc claiming to be his son (though I'm sure he'll listen to him).

Still results in an Orc(s?) being center stage for the third time in a row, which is not something I think they can afford to do story-wise. People like me are sick and tired of it, and I am not alone in that view.

Keep in mind I loathe time travel. I wanted a South Seas expansion. But the pieces are all there, and it would make too much sense for them to make a really fanservice-ccentric expansion where all the classic characters come back. We're not just talking orcs here, but just about any interesting character from previous Warcraft games.

I agree that the pieces are all there, which is why I'm so worried that this is true. And you're right on the nose about it being fan-service centric, which is why I've commented I think this would be WoW's jumping the shark moment. It would be blizzard's pathetic and contrived effort to get people to come back to the game by going "See, see, all these characters you loved from back when we actually knew how to write? They're all back!!!" and I have no interest in that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
New Expansion:

World of Warcraft: The Med'an Expansion

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Mo'arg leak was clearly fake because this is the real picture.

tumblr_mvq06nlXAY1s34k10o1_1280.jpg

One could only hope.

World of Warcraft: recycled Expansion

You've experienced recycled raids but now the whole thing is recycled since you didn't like us remaking everything for cataclysm so well just reuse the same exact stuff this time.

I am going to be very disappointed if that Chinese leak is true :(

I have to move to India in December anyway, might as well cancel if we are doing a time travel centric expansion.

If I remember correctly, Metzen has said that he would love to do more raids where we go fight historical battles again. I can totally see this happening, as I believe the Warcraft movie will be set in a similar time period.

Boogdud

If I remember correctly, Metzen has said that he would love to do more raids where we go fight historical battles again. I can totally see this happening, as I believe the Warcraft movie will be set in a similar time period.

In all likelihood it'll basically be a tie-in for the movie. Which I still can't get over, isn't an animated movie...

Dicer

Banned
Ever since the last micro patch my latency has been awful, and now logins are down all together...annoying.

OT: There is no way in hell that Chinese leak is real, they want to regain users not push more of them away.

Anoregon

Found a rare mob with an awesome model while questing

Yeah, the cataclysm crocolisk model is very cool. I'd like to see raptor's get a similar treatment. They don't look bad by any means but they could certainly look a bit cooler.

Ultratech

Yeah, the cataclysm crocolisk model is very cool. I'd like to see raptor's get a similar treatment. They don't look bad by any means but they could certainly look a bit cooler.

Yup, I'd love to see an improved raptor model.

They sorta updated them for TBC with new models for ones in Outland, but they only come in a few colors.

I'd love to get one of the new bat models, but they went and made the ones in SoO untameable. :(

Rokam

Hoping we get a peak at 5.5/6.0 (whatever they're labeling it) at Blizzcon, also want to buy tons of new battle pet reveals, perhaps the rest of the BC raid pets, give me tiny Brutallus.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bears and gorillas need a new model as well.

Unless there's one and I missed it. Let's face it, MOST THINGS need a new model.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they were to do something like that, I would think you'd be fighting with Grom and Thrall against Mannoroth. Kind of like you did with Maiev and Akama for Illidan. Grom's Chaos Orc stuff was pretty basic during WC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom