• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Warlords of Draenor was trademarked in the US now. Pretty positive that is the title of the next expansion. Now wether or not the rumors of time travel are true, at least we know the title.

Though could they be doing this to throw us off? Is trademarking a title expensive to do?

I'm sure it's not prohibitively expensive for a multi-billion dollar company, but the idea that they would go through the effort to file for and recieve a fake trademark in multiple countries JUST to keep us nerds on the internet guessing for another week is more than a little farfetched.

Boogdud

Warlords of Draenor was trademarked in the US now. Pretty positive that is the title of the next expansion. Now wether or not the rumors of time travel are true, at least we know the title.

Though could they be doing this to throw us off? Is trademarking a title expensive to do?

It could be a pack of cards for Hearthstone or an expac for the card game for all we know...

Boogdud

An expansion for a game that isn't even out as opposed to one that is and is going to have an expansion announced Friday?

I'm just saying, we don't know what it is. It could be anything. Now, in all likelihood it's the expansion. At the same time, it could be a board game too. I'm just thinking of all the capcom/square/other lameness that has gone in the past with all the hypes. ;)

Into

*IF* some variation of the timeline centric expansion is true. Then what that tells me is that Blizzard wants to go back to "Warcraft", in terms of what the general gaming populace knows of it, aka ex WoW players, people who dabbled in the RTS games etc. Which is pretty much Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne + Classic WoW + BC + WotLK. Most people are not familiar with the War2 story and characters, and most people are not familiar with any story bits in Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria.

In terms of lore, this kind of story would not really advance the overarching plot of WoW as of today MoP edition, but the idea is to just bring the look and feel of the world back to what most people are familiar with.

From a marketing perspective, the ability to tell people that "Warcraft is back!" and then show a bunch of classic Warcraft imagery and characters is probably too temping for a company that has been bleeding subs for years now. Its either that or introduce a new continent/zone, where some great evil has awoken etc.

If the choice is nostalgia pandering and revisiting Draenor with characters we know off and races and villians we are familiar with vs. doing another MoP, this time with...pick any race you want, Murlocks, Naga, whatever that is neutral race and their continent/zone is under attack by this great evil. Then i know which one i prefer, but i understand the people who wanted the story to go forward instead of looking backwards. But if they have no great ideas or concepts for where to take the story next, then its perhaps best to go backwards to the tried and true. Its not just a coincidence that Heartstone features the original 9 WoW classes, its what most people familiar with the franchise identify with most.

TLDR: If this is true, then they want current WoW to "look" like the type of WoW most people are familiar with, if that means Back to the Futuring the game, then so be it.

Fjordson

Another week of first wing flex, another double dose of gold from Sha. This asshole just does not want to give me his trinket. Hoping for some better luck in normal mode.

RPGCrazied

What could the new profession be? Any guesses?

If we get a new class I hope its something other than Demon Hunter or Crusader. WoW does not need to take from Diablo III like it did with Monk.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

If we get a new class I hope its something other than Demon Hunter or Crusader. WoW does not need to take from Diablo III like it did with Monk.

WoW didn't "take" the monk from D3. Aside from the D3 monk and WoW monk have entirely different lore justifications, abilities, and combat aesthetics, the unarmed fighter archetype has existed in video games, especially fantasy games, forever.

As for profession, I'm not really expecting to see a new one, but who knows.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

But.... Demon Hunters actually exist in the Warcraft lore, and have been there since far before Diablo 3.

Tacitus_

Wot. Crusader is basically a renamed paladin (D2 paladin to be precise) and Demon Hunters have been in WC since WC3 and they work entirely differently compared to D3. In WC the Demon Hunters tap into demons for power and dual wield melee weapons + utilize (demonic) spells in combat.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think I'm okay with the time travel thing as long as they keep the original Outland intact. It was sad to see vanilla wow disapear

Anoregon

I think I'm okay with the time travel thing as long as they keep the original Outland intact. It was sad to see vanilla wow disapear

The revamp of vanilla zones was one of the best things that ever happened to the game. I recently tried playing on a private BC server. Leveling was fucking abysmal.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The revamp of vanilla zones was one of the best things that ever happened to the game. I recently tried playing on a private BC server. Leveling was fucking abysmal.

I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm saying its sad to lose the content instead of having both persevere in some form.

Fjordson

I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm saying its sad to lose the content instead of having both persevere in some form.
I get what you mean.

The new zones work better as a leveling experience no doubt, but creatively I sort of prefer some of the older versions of zones. Like how they looked and felt.

Perfect scenario for Outland to me would be a revamp of it mechanically and of the questlines, while also retaining most of its look and atmosphere.

traveler

Not Wario
Time travel is pretty much always a bad idea for storytelling so I still want it to be the Dark Below. And a Hearthstone xpac wouldn't be that strange- Magic gets expansions every 3 months and Hearthstone will need something similar if it wants to be really successful. Furthermore, the (fake?) Dark Below trademarks had closer timing to when we would have expected to see the WoW xpac trademarked, the Dark Below story implications make more sense, and Boub working with Blizz to not leak this time but lending his voice to a title seems like a red herring.

/wishful thinking

Whatever the case, the story doesn't really matter; what they have planned for the game is what will bring me back or leave me cold.

Fjordson

Ohhh yes, finally got the Swift Zulian Panther mount from heroic ZG. Woo! It's been like three solid months of running this shit everyday.

Not like the flashiest mount by any means, but I really dig it.

Anoregon

No way do we lose current Outland. Old Draenor will be an entirely different thing.

I doubt we'd "lose" current outland, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some updates. It doesn't need anything as drastic as the vanilla-cataclysm Azeroth change, but a bit of freshening up and maybe getting rid of plate with agi wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't take nearly the time and effort as the azeroth overhaul.

YES! All done with The Eye of Eternity for eternity

3gdnJr4.png

GvOjlzZ.png

kirblar

I doubt we'd "lose" current outland, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some updates. It doesn't need anything as drastic as the vanilla-cataclysm Azeroth change, but a bit of freshening up and maybe getting rid of plate with agi wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't take nearly the time and effort as the azeroth overhaul.
Oh, of course. I wonder if they'll be trying to retro-fit the Mists quest reward architecture as much as they can.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In Mists, the quests only reward you with items for your current class/spec... no more cloth rewards for your paladin.

That's only partially true. You don't get the option of unusable rewards anymore, but they don't limit your choice to your spec.

There isn't any reason for Blizzard to alter the system because almost nobody sticks through that content long enough for it to matter.

Bisnic

That's only partially true. You don't get the option of unusable rewards anymore, but they don't limit your choice to your spec.

There isn't any reason for Blizzard to alter the system because almost nobody sticks through that content long enough for it to matter.

It does limit for your spec sometimes... i had to respec my druid to my healing spec a couple of times when the only reward was a DPS item worse than what I was using.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It was green quest rewards were generally spec-specific, where anything that rewarded blue or purple gave you a choice.

They took that out. I leveled a paladin recently and I was given an option on all greens throughout Pandaria.

Bisnic

They probably changed it with 5.4, with 5.3 Jade Forest and Krasarang Wilds were giving me specific rewards to my current spec, but later zones like Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes didn't...

Bisnic

58 mins queue as healer for Gates of Retribution LFR wing?

Edit : Oh wait, its 18 mins now.
Edit2 : Nevermind, 32.

This thing is as trustworthy as Windows when it comes to waiting time.

Magnus

Returning to the game for the first time in two months. Holy shit @5.4 - lots to catch up on.

Have Proving Grounds opened up? I can't seem to tell or find out where to go.

Is the basic gist right now: Timeless Isle + SoO raiding + yay new profession stuff for select profs?

Magnus

Jesus Christ --- Gold Proving Grounds are kicking my ass. Wave 2 and 3....what a huge difficulty spike. Lol, I'm terrible + out of practice.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I would be riding that train so hard if it wasn't for the time travel expansion rumors. They've entirely killed my hype/my desire to play until we find out whether they're true or not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, I remember when I first heard about Burning Crusade and that the Draenei would be playable, and I was so hyped because Akama was one of my favorite characters in the WC3 campaign with Illidan. Then we got weird barrel chested things and space Kardashians

I want proper Broken Draenei models implemented.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Man, I remember when I first heard about Burning Crusade and that the Draenei would be playable, and I was so hyped because Akama was one of my favorite characters in the WC3 campaign with Illidan. Then we got weird barrel chested things and space Kardashians

Seriously. Akama and the Eredar look so badass, the draenai... not so much. I really wish they'd just make an expac and introduce sub races--i.e. different types of trolls, orc (mag'hars), broken draenai, etc...

Fjordson

Totally agreed. Especially the bolded :lol wish they hadn't done that. Seems like a small thing, but it just makes the male Draenei models look sort of odd.

YES! All done with The Eye of Eternity for eternity

http://i.imgur.com/3gdnJr4.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GvOjlzZ.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Big congrats. That's the very last of the solo-able dungeon/raid mounts I have left after getting the Alysrazor mount last week. I'm letting my subscription lapse as I've barely played the past couple months but I'll continue working on Malygos whenever I get back to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom