• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Yeah, really hoping to see updated character models and I hope we get new races as well. Just cosmetic stuff, but I always like new races. Helps the game world seem more diverse with all the different types running around (mostly after the initial surge when everyone is rolling the new race or changing to it during the first few weeks).

Slayerx

I am more excited about the npc aspect of new wow models, not the players. Unless of course they don't bother updating all npcs since this is Blizzard we are talking about......sigh.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I'm sure they will, they did with almost all the Goblins out there (theres the odd ones out like the zep "peddler" who had some funky getup on).

Really excited to see what they show. Hoping it'll blow my socks off. Hyped up because MMO Champ owner finally going to Blizzcon and saying they are very excited, and the fact the dev team was increased in size by huge amounts after Titan was restructured.

On a crappy note, we wiped to Thok for 2 hours D:
Best attempt we got him to 14%, this was with 1 tank, 3 healers. I think if we had one of the healers go DPS we'd have enough to down him JUST after he enters the fire phase. Anyone out there able to suggest an order? I see poison being recommended first, our guild didn't try that yet, poison was always 2nd followed up by fire.

Tacitus_

I am more excited about the npc aspect of new wow models, not the players. Unless of course they don't bother updating all npcs since this is Blizzard we are talking about......sigh.

If they're using the regular player model, they will get updated. Pretty much every goblin got updated like noted above and the god awful "high elf" models got upgraded to blood elf models in BC.
On a crappy note, we wiped to Thok for 2 hours D:
Best attempt we got him to 14%, this was with 1 tank, 3 healers. I think if we had one of the healers go DPS we'd have enough to down him JUST after he enters the fire phase. Anyone out there able to suggest an order? I see poison being recommended first, our guild didn't try that yet, poison was always 2nd followed up by fire.

Fire is by far the shittiest phase. We run two tanks, two healers (well we did try three last time and it was hilarious, got like 40+ stacks of the buff on him). Poison -> Water -> Fire. Keep ranged on boss during kite phase and use melee to kill the jailers (modify as needed if you don't have enough melee damage). Try to keep the stack going as high as possible with raid cooldowns (healing tide, aura mastery etc).

Acidote

Keep ranged on boss during kite phase and use melee to kill the jailers (modify as needed if you don't have enough melee damage). Try to keep the stack going as high as possible with raid cooldowns (healing tide, aura mastery etc).

This is good advice here against Thok. In my raid we usually had a full ranged group but me, so I dealt with the guardians (with a druid tranquilizing his enrage) while everyone else was on the boss or running away from him. Some helped with a dot here and there. Now that I think of it those fuckers were putting a huge responsibility on my shoulders while they had an easy fight.

Tacitus_

Forsaken Priests and Forsaken Warriors exist though. The lore is that Forsaken Priests can channel the light, its just horribly painful, hence the Priests.

The problem with the "Channel the Light" thing is that Priests channel the Light the same as Paladins do; its not a distinct force.

Most forsaken priests are in the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow, but you're right, they can also channel the Light, painfully.

mclem

Just thinking along these lines - do we already have potential new models for most vanilla races in the form of NPCs?

Alliance:
Human: Varian. (Jaina? Anduin?)
Dwarf: Does Moira have a new model?
Gnome: Can't think of one, unless Mekkatorque got a revamp when Gnomeregan was retaken?
Elf: Human form of Alexstrasza

Horde:
Orc: Garrosh
Troll: As above
Tauren: Dunno. Does Baine have an improved model?
Undead: Don't know of one (Sylvanas is more elf-type)

Jaykay

Lol, I'm to poor to go. Who is going to veg on GAF an watch the stream like me?

Woot, you get Murkalot now! Badass.

quh5.jpg

t6l1.jpg

When doing my PVP pet battle for the weekly last night, there were a bunch of people using Murkalot already. I'm guessing he's going to be popular.

mclem

This is good advice here against Thok. In my raid we usually had a full ranged group but me, so I dealt with the guardians (with a druid tranquilizing his enrage) while everyone else was on the boss or running away from him. Some helped with a dot here and there. Now that I think of it those fuckers were putting a huge responsibility on my shoulders while they had an easy fight.

We have two big problems on Thok, and I'm curious if anyone has good solutions:

1) Runner getting too far away from healers and not able to make it back in time to be healed. Particularly dangerous if the same runner gets targetted twice.
2) Immediately after the fixate phase, Thok's kinda tricky to position, since the direction he's coming from is uncontrolled. We generally prefer to have him facing the prisons, but for the first prisons, if he's coming from down the corridor that leads to an awkward setup where he's alongside the prison

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I wonder what the next xpac's iconic flying mount(s) will be. BC had netherdrakes, Wrath had Protos and frostbrood, Cata had stone drakes and wind drakes, and Mists had chinadragons.

It obviously depends on the the setting of the xpac. If it actually is time travel stuff, I;m sure we will find cool new flying beasties on Draenor that were wiped out by the time it became outland. If it isn't time travel and we are exploring more planets or broken chunks floating in the twisting nether, then blizzard pretty much has free reign to come up with all kinds of alien creatures that we can ultimately subjugate and force into mounthood.

Acidote

We have two big problems on Thok, and I'm curious if anyone has good solutions:

1) Runner getting too far away from healers and not able to make it back in time to be healed. Particularly dangerous if the same runner gets targetted twice.
2) Immediately after the fixate phase, Thok's kinda tricky to position, since the direction he's coming from is uncontrolled. We generally prefer to have him facing the prisons, but for the first prisons, if he's coming from down the corridor that leads to an awkward setup where he's alongside the prison

1) Thok has that behaviour were he usually takes his next target picking the player farthest from him. Tell the person running from Thok to get away but not too far so it won't double target him. Have your lock (if you have one) place a portal from the first cell besides were Thok will be tanked to the entrance of the hall to help the first target get away a little bit easier.

2) I've tanked it too a couple of times. I position myself at the left of the first cell with Thok facing the entrance of the hall. With the second one it's the same but with me on the right side of the cell so Thok is again facing the entrance. On the third one I start doing the same as in the first one (left side of the cell) but with Thok facing the opposite direction, and then I start moving him a little bit so there's clean space for the melees to hit the boss.

Sons of bitches, I just noticed that when I tanked it with my alter there were two melees killing the guardians. I'll have to talk to them tonight >.<

I wonder what the next xpac's iconic flying mount(s) will be. BC had netherdrakes, Wrath had Protos and frostbrood, Cata had stone drakes and wind drakes, and Mists had chinadragons.

It obviously depends on the the setting of the xpac. If it actually is time travel stuff, I;m sure we will find cool new flying beasties on Draenor that were wiped out by the time it became outland. If it isn't time travel and we are exploring more planets or broken chunks floating in the twisting nether, then blizzard pretty much has free reign to come up with all kinds of alien creatures that we can ultimately subjugate and force into mounthood.

Nothing like the nether drakes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Don't forget Nether Rays. :p I hope we get something else than alien dragons this time.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man you guys hatin on my space sharks, shameful.

Acidote

Hating? I have the Invincible and only use it with my low level alters. Everyone else goes on a Netherdrake or Experiment pink drake.

Anoregon

Hating? I have the Invincible and only use it with my low level alters. Everyone else goes on a Netherdrake or Experiment pink drake.

ah my bad, I took your "nothing like netherdrakes" to mean that you hope they are nothing like them because you don't like them.

mclem

1) Thok has that behaviour were he usually takes his next target picking the player farthest from him. Tell the person running from Thok to get away but not too far so it won't double target him. Have your lock (if you have one) place a portal from the first cell besides were Thok will be tanked to the entrance of the hall to help the first target get away a little bit easier.

I'm not convinced by this. I think it's a random person in range but not in melee. You can exploit this to some extent at the start of the fixate phase because at that moment, everyone's in melee, so when you *do* have someone break away, that person will be targetted by default. After that, though, it seems kinda inconsistent.

I do wish he would go for tanks on occasion. There's always one of us at a loose end at that point.

2) I've tanked it too a couple of times. I position myself at the left of the first cell with Thok facing the entrance of the hall. With the second one it's the same but with me on the right side of the cell so Thok is again facing the entrance. On the third one I start doing the same as in the first one (left side of the cell) but with Thok facing the opposite direction, and then I start moving him a little bit so there's clean space for the melees to hit the boss.

It's not the positioning that's the problem, as such, it's getting into that position when you can't easily control the direction Thok's coming from and - once the normal phase has begun - you really don't want to turn him.

RPGCrazied

1 more day... ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Will the trailer be in the opening ceremony for the WoW expansion, or is that going to show in a WoW panel?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
1 more day... ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Will the trailer be in the opening ceremony for the WoW expansion, or is that going to show in a WoW panel?

Should be in the opening ceremony if I'm not mistaken. Since that is free for anyone to watch and they want to get as many people hyped up as possible.

Pretty high chance it will be. they already have the work done. God I can't wait for the new models. I really hope we get to see something (anything) at Blizzcon.

I actually don't think they will. While the models look good, the animation skeletons for the zandalari trolls are actually just the Nelf skeletons. And animations will be updated as much as the models are. That and they've talked about trying to still make it look like your character as much as possible while updating, and I think that is a bit of drastic change (face wise anyways) from the regular female trolls.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just thinking along these lines - do we already have potential new models for most vanilla races in the form of NPCs?

Alliance:
Gnome: Can't think of one, unless Mekkatorque got a revamp when Gnomeregan was retaken?

Horde:

Moira and Baine are still using old dwarf and tauren models. Same with Mekkatorque.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Requirement for next expansion. Li Li companion at all times. Her mocking of quests was the only thing able to get me through some of the more repetitive quest lines.

Alliance:

Horde:
Vol'Jin as well. Which is what makes me feel inferior as a troll warrior every time I see him.

Slayerx

Alliance:

Horde:
I think only Garrosh is the real new model the rest are just better textures on existing skeleton with existing animations, the only exception to this rule was Thrall in Cataclysm since he had al new animations as well.

Anoregon

I think only Garrosh is the real new model the rest are just better textures on existing skeleton with existing animations, the only exception to this rule was Thrall in Cataclysm since he had al new animations as well.

Yeah, other than his head/body proportion being a bit wonky, I can totally see him being at least the prototype for new orcs model. Pretty much the same as the old one, just better and more advanced.

Tacitus_

Alex Afrasiabi (Furor) - He started out as a Quest Designer, then Lead Quest Designer up until WoTLK, then Lead World Designer in Cataclysm, then he disappeared after Tigole announced he was moving to another project (Titan), but he is apparently now back as Creative Director for the next expansion!

Kekekekekekeke

Hit 90 on my BE paladin. Don't really plan to do much with him, especially not grind out another cloak, but it's nice to have a max level on the other faction for lore/quests.

Got a bunch of Timeless gear, and I'm happy with that mostly. No great way to get a weapon though.. ehh.. bought a 522 Shado Pan neck to get me to 495. Upgraded a blue with JP to get to 496. Now too bad all the 2Hers in SoO are from the end bosses, ughhhh. Oh well, w/e, I queue for SoO1. Get in as dps within 4 minutes =O. At Sha of Pride, no determination =O. We one shot it and I get the sword. Use a bonus roll for funsies, get another sword. SURE WHY NOT. Thank you wonderful Blizz RNG gods for this great reward of "finishing" my paladin almost instantly after all the toil and suffering of cloaking my other 3 characters <3

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On the topic of female models, why is it that all the male models in WoW(excluding BEs, Goblins, and Pandaren ) look so ridiculously exaggerated compared to their female counterparts? It's like the video game comic book character design is applied to the men but not the women. Like the discrepancy between troll and orcs male and female look like they're from completely different races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom