• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

Hmm, per Matticus on Twitter, there's a Desktop app for PTR 6.0 on the demo machines. Wonder if we're much closer to an Alpha/Beta than first thought.

They always have a hands on demo at Blizzcon though. I'm assuming it's just a build for random people to experience.

Rokam

Q: Will you be making any changes to what Stats are available?

One of our goals for Warlords of Draenor is to make the act of finding and collecting loot even more exciting for players. With that in mind, we’re adding some fun new stats to gear, such as Movement Speed and Cleave, which gives you a chance to do extra damage or healing to additional nearby targets. In addition, we’ll be retiring a few stats that players don’t find very enjoyable to manage, such as Hit and Expertise. We’re also making improvements to armor itemization that will make it easier to share armor pieces across classes. We’ll have more details to share as development continues.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Blizzard has finally lost me. No new class, no new race, updates to models that have no real game impact; moreover, the trailer showed me basically nothing about what the game is like.

mclem

One thing buried in the FAQ which will make a massive difference to me: Flexible normals!

Intrigued that they're dropping hit and expertise, too. Movement speed and cleave as on-gear stats sounds interesting, but I need to know more.

Peachpies

I think Blizzard has finally lost me. No new class, no new race, updates to models that have no real game impact; moreover, the trailer showed me basically nothing about what the game is like.
WoW really doesn't need another class right now. I think new models for the old races would have more of an impact for most players then a new race and the teams that would make a new race are a lot of the same people who would be working on new models/animations. Also it is abit silly to expect everything to be given away at the announcement.

Fjordson

Are all the baddies in the new WoD walllpaper from the first three Warcraft games? I know I should know this, but it's been a long time since I played any of those =[

warlords-of-draenor-1280x1024.jpg

Can anyone name the dudes in this if they are returning villains?

Kenai

Now to decide on which class I will give the gift of 90 to.

Those are all famous Orc clan leaders. The warlock-y guy on the far left is Gul'dan. Grommash is holding the big axe in the middle (Gorehowl?), The wolf guy next to him is Durotan (Thra''lls daddy). Not sure on the others.

Skab

Are all the baddies in the new WoD walllpaper from the first three Warcraft games? I know I should know this, but it's been a long time since I played any of those =[

From left to right: Kargath, Blackhand, Kilrogg, Durotan, Grom, Ner'zhul, and Gul'dan.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Considering Blizzard probably have expansions planned for another 10 years, do you seriously expect every one of them to have a new class or race? At one point, they're going to run out of options, or are going to make balancing them all a nightmare.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WoW really doesn't need another class right now. I think new models for the old races would have more of an impact for most players then a new race and the teams that would make a new race are a lot of the same people who would be working on new models/animations. Also it is abit silly to expect everything to be given away at the announcement.

It absolutely does need a new class. The point of expansions is to add stuff that makes you want to play the whole game, not just hit up the 10 levels and bounce your account.

Everything we've heard screams "low content." Only 6 dungeons + 2 rehash dungeons, scenarios (which have been 100% re-used assets so far), no new class, no new race. You can see the writing on the wall for why they added in "skip to 90." Its because there's no incentive to re-roll at all; they're just letting you get past it to incentivize buying the expansion. But I don't think that strategy is a good one long term; its just going to lead to people saying "well what do I do now" that much faster.

Considering Blizzard probably have expansions planned for another 10 years, do you seriously expect every one of them to have a new class or race? At one point, they're going to run out of options, or are going to make balancing them all a nightmare.

Yes. I'm not sure I agree that balancing the 11 they have now has been as much of a chore as people claim. That's what open test realms and hotfixes are for.

Loxley

Is it a bummer that there's no new Race, Class, or Profession? Sure. That said, I don't think it's realistic to expect them to add one of those for every expansion, I mean, we're already at the point where they're really stretching to add new playable races. A new class would probably be more likely at this point, but I'm assuming they have a good reason for not including one this time around.

Of what is coming in this expansion, I think it looks really promising.

Also, thank fuck for the stat-squish.

Angry Grimace

Is it a bummer that there's no new Race, Class, or Profession? Sure. That said, I don't think it's realistic to expect them to add one of those for every expansion, I mean, we're already at the point where they're really stretching to add new playable races. A new class would probably be more likely at this point, but I'm assuming they have a good reason for not including one this time around.

Of what is coming in this expansion, I think it looks really promising.

Also, thank fuck for the stat-squish.

The reason I tend not to agree is that people keep acting like Blizzard puts expansions out on the time schedule they aspire to, as opposed to the time schedule they actually keep. 2 years is a long time.

And seriously, the new models are nice, but they certainly don't look like the product of 5 years of work on them.

Loxley

Garrisons are basically WoW's equivalent of player housing - Tom Chilton.

They're not instanced, they take advantage of phasing to exist in the world.

Angry Grimace

At the very least they could have just given Alliance Blood Elf models as High Elves and Dark Iron Dwarves that don't recognize Moira as their leader to the Horde so you'd have more options on your current faction. It wouldn't even require any work.

Kenai

Expansion that doesn't move the story forward. It's really hard to move a story forward in an expansion revolving around the past and setting it right.

Move the story in relation to what? I'm not trying to be smarmy but I just don't understand. There's no Warcraft 4 or anything for WoW to mirror anymore since they "wrapped up" Arthas and stuff. People have mentioned MoP is filler too but both factions have changed a ton from Cataclysm storywise (hello Thermamore, hello entirely new race with lore we've never seen prior, hello new Warchief ect).

I'm not saying there won't be rehashing and stuff but I want to understand what the complaint is (assuming it is one).

Jag

The story is that someone is trying to change history and the world as we know it. That's a pretty big deal. Nozdormu is not a happy camper (or is he?).

Rokam

Move the story in relation to what? I'm not trying to be smarmy but I just don't understand. There's no Warcraft 4 or anything for WoW to mirror anymore since they "wrapped up" Arthas and stuff. People have mentioned MoP is filler too but both factions have changed a ton from Cataclysm storywise (hello Thermamore, hello entirely new race with lore we've never seen prior, hello new Warchief ect).

I'm not saying there won't be rehashing and stuff but I want to understand what the complaint is (assuming it is one).

MoP wasn't filler people that think it is didn't play the game. Major character progression and propelled the story towards the inevitable confrontation with the Legion, with Horde and Alliance making peace, and Wrathion's foreshadowing.

With this expansion we go back in time or to a different timeline to fix what Garrosh has caused. If it's a different timeline then shouldn't we be prepping our forces for the Burning Legion instead of wasting those resources somewhere else, and if it's fixing the past then nothing changes besides some character development... maybe depending on which lore characters travel with us.

It's also a step backward for them, with MoP they said they loved creating new story, new characters and not having to rely on past threads. Seems a step backwards. But to each his own, I'll try the expansion because MoP was so fantastic.

idlewild_

Flex scaling will be used for Normal and Heroic difficulty.
Raid Finder will scale if you lose people and are waiting for the group to fill.
Mythic is a new difficulty harder than heroic with a 20 player fixed size.

Wow, well, that's one way to fix the debate on 10v25.

Kenai

MoP wasn't filler people that think it is didn't play the game. Major character progression and propelled the story towards the inevitable confrontation with the Legion, with Horde and Alliance making peace, and Wrathion's foreshadowing.

With this expansion we go back in time or to a different timeline to fix what Garrosh has caused. If it's a different timeline then shouldn't we be prepping our forces for the Burning Legion, and it's fixing the past then nothing changes besides some character development... maybe depending on which lore characters travel with us.

Oh so you're worried it will be like fixing what we already know is happening/happened instead of doing something new? I could see that being a justified complaint (as much of a fan of both Orcs and Draenei as I am).

That being said, this particular part of the WoW timeline (pre-blood-drinking Orcs/Draenei massacre) is not only a pretty damn huge deal in how it set the stage for Orcs originally coming to Azeroth, but is also a part that we have never really gotten to see in detail (especially considering what draenei were at the time the original lore was written before the current Draenei retcon thing). That alone makes it pretty exciting for me since this is seriously fleshing out both races in their own right, as well as making Garrosh maybe not as one dimensional as many (me included) originally thought.

Also, I am interested to see what the Legion will do if they miss out on a significant amount of their Draenor shock troops if Garrosh successfully prevents the blood-pact from taking place.

Rokam

Oh so you're worried it will be like fixing what we already know is happening/happened instead of doing something new? I could see that being a justified complaint (as much of a fan of both Orcs and Draenei as I am).

This is what most people are bugged by, however if we're going back to do some shit like we did with Well of Eternity. Such as bring heroes that "died" to our time then I'd be more open to the idea.

Edit: Nevermind guess there is a Lore panel later, it's just not called that.

Can't wait to see new racials (hit/expertise racials need replaced) and new talents.

profit

I really doubt this will focus on making sure everything that has happened will still happen.
I see it more as preventing the war between Horde and Alliance, forcing the legion to make a move and we have a united Horde/Alliance army at the end.
Sure that sucks for people that see WoW as H vs A; but if Blizzard wants to head to a full on confrontation with the legion, we need a united army.

Fjordson

I really doubt this will focus on making sure everything that has happened will still happen.
I see it more as preventing the war between Horde and Alliance, forcing the legion to make a move and we have a united Horde/Alliance army at the end.
Sure that sucks for people that see WoW as H vs A; but if Blizzard wants to head to a full on confrontation with the legion, we need a united army.
And they've said this expansion's lore is going to spill into the next expansion and lead right into it. I don't think it's out of the question that we get back to present day and actually do move the overall story forward towards the end of WoD.

Rokam

As you begin building up your Garrison, we expect that you’ll interact with it quite a bit. However, over time, it’s expected that your interaction will become more casual. At lower levels, your missions are on shorter time cycles (minutes, hours or days); once your followers have reached high levels, it’s likely that you’ll send some of them off on longer raid missions for a week at a time. We want garrisons to be important, but our goal is a system that’s easy to enjoy without being extremely intensive.

This is good, having to go back to the farm every day was kind of a pain. Seems they're adding more and more ways to gear up, wonder if they have anything like the timeless isle for release or are holding off for interim patches.

Kenai

This is good, having to go back to the farm every day was kind of a pain. Seems they're adding more and more ways to gear up, wonder if they have anything like the timeless isle for release or are holding off for interim patches.

Well, they did say they wanted to do Timeless Isle-type progression in the future and I think a lot of people liked it.

I enjoy the Timeless Isle for the most part (outside of some questionable loot RNG and the god-awful Emperor rep grind) so I don't think I would mind.

Rokam

I enjoy it quite a bit too, good place to afk at while doing other things and occasionally tab back in to get a kill. But I worry because they said they enjoyed the way the 5.1 daily hub worked... and then we never saw it again.

Lore panel starting.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The warlords timeline is separate from our timeline when garish went back. They are merging the points between them to our present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom