• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the look of Shadowmoon. Can't wait to see the zone for myself. Netherstorm is probably my favorite zone in the entire game, so I wish we would get to see that again, but I assume it would look nothing like it does now.

Excited to check out the garrison. Farming in MoP quickly got boring, but the concept has potential. Aside from that, new models is a welcome change. Hardly very important as the two human characters I have both run with helmets that cover their face, and my draenei sounds like it is at the bottom of their to-do-list.

The thing I am most excited for is probably flexible normal and heroic raiding. While it would serve anyone, it really is perfect for raid groups like mine. Because people have jobs, families and other real life activities, we've had to fill our 10 man group with almost 20 people. It worked great when we were gearing up in flex (almost all of us started playing again in 5.4), it's not optimal for normal raiding. This addition fixes two problems. First no one will be forced to sit out. Secondly, we can recruit more so we won't be left with 8-9 on certain raid nights, without worrying about having too many people having to sit out on raids. Super hyped for this. It's addition to LFR is nice too, but in my experience 9/10 times you are waiting in LFR, it's for a tank. So unless they will scale away tank swapping abilities, it's not a big deal. If it lets you get in LFR without waiting for all 25 to sign, and I just misunderstood, then it's a much bigger deal.

the trailer showed me basically nothing about what the game is like.

It's another World of Warcraft expansion.. Don't you know what the game is like by now? Did you have anything specific in mind?

profit

And they've said this expansion's lore is going to spill into the next expansion and lead right into it. I don't think it's out of the question that we get back to present day and actually do move the overall story forward towards the end of WoD.

Yeah that's my personal reasoning when I think Wrathion is just doing everything to amass a huge united army to go on a full out assault to the burning legion in one of the next expansions.
When they said they have expansions lined up, I'm really getting the feeling their promise of faster expansions is finally being fulfilled.

Rokam

The world will be a little more like Timeless Isle, with things like a caravan of Iron Horde being stranded in the snow that you can kill to take the treasure they were hauling. This isn't a quest, just one of the events in the new and more dynamic world.

Good.

Skab

Draenor Story
Garrosh is creating the Iron Horde, but he only sets things in motion, he isn't the main bad guy. He is trying to open a portal to the current time to come back for his revenge.
Draenor is a very savage world, so you can become a savage yourself or work with your own faction to avoid doing so.
The Draenei will react to the savage world, looking at important points in their history.
The Frostwolf Clan is still in the early stages, not working together very well yet.
The team went through many iterations to figure out how the Warlords would be brought back. Garrosh was originally going to go back to Outland and resurrect the Warlords, but that concept didn't work out well.
This isn't a time travel expansion, time travel is just a tool to explain the ongoing story. It isn't being used to massively change the current timeline. The past is fine!
Shattrath was a giant coastal city.
This setting allows for the creation of some really over the top villains. "What if the baddest badasses in Warcraft history got together"
Is Thrall's father a hero? Is he a villain?
Thrall has some work to do in bringing Garrosh to justice.
The Draenei haven't had a lot of story in previous expansions, but this one gives the team a chance to look at who they were before the Draenei we know today.
The world will be a little more like Timeless Isle, with things like a caravan of Iron Horde being stranded in the snow that you can kill to take the treasure they were hauling. This isn't a quest, just one of the events in the new and more dynamic world.

Good. Good.

Tacitus_

It absolutely does need a new class. The point of expansions is to add stuff that makes you want to play the whole game, not just hit up the 10 levels and bounce your account.

Everything we've heard screams "low content." Only 6 dungeons + 2 rehash dungeons, scenarios (which have been 100% re-used assets so far), no new class, no new race. You can see the writing on the wall for why they added in "skip to 90." Its because there's no incentive to re-roll at all; they're just letting you get past it to incentivize buying the expansion. But I don't think that strategy is a good one long term; its just going to lead to people saying "well what do I do now" that much faster.

Yes. I'm not sure I agree that balancing the 11 they have now has been as much of a chore as people claim. That's what open test realms and hotfixes are for.

Wah wah wah,.

Rerolling is for casuals.

Loxley

Preview of the new male Forsaken model from the WoW art panel:

2pep.jpg

yn4f.jpg

Tacitus_

I've never met anyone that never rerolled other than people who didn't play for very long.

Now, I tried out a DK, but both my 'main' characters were created during vanilla. My current main is my first character ever, my UD warlock.

If your main interest in an expansion is a new race, you just might be a casual.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now, I tried out a DK, but both my 'main' characters were created during vanilla. My current main is my first character ever, my UD warlock.

If your main interest in an expansion is a new race, you just might be a casual.

I really hope for your sake that's not supposed to be an insult.

In other news, the new models are nice looking, I'm just a little concerned that we're seeing them all naked. Thrall's model is pretty nice too, but he also has custom armor that's only for his model. I sure as hell hope the human model update means they'll fix Jaina Proudmoore to stop looking like she had 10 rounds of plastic surgery and clown makeup.

Tacitus_

I really hope for your sake that's not supposed to be an insult.

In other news, the new models are nice looking, I'm just a little concerned that we're seeing them all naked. Thrall's model is pretty nice too, but he also has custom armor that's only for his model. I sure as hell hope the human model update means they'll fix Jaina Proudmoore to stop looking like she had 10 rounds of plastic surgery and clown makeup.

Not an insult, just a statement. If you're more interested about a new race than what the end game will bring, you're a casual. Not that there's anything wrong with being one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not an insult, just a statement. If you're more interested about a new race than what the end game will bring, you're a casual. Not that there's anything wrong with being one.

For one, its not a statement that means anything, and second, the point I'm making is, somewhat ironically, the opposite of that. Not having a new race or class is something that I fear will make people to quit faster, which dilutes the player population for end-game stuff. Most players I know exist somewhere between hardcore and super casual and almost all of them leveled Monks, Pandas or Worgen in their spare time between raids and other end-game content. Alts are part of the game now; they don't exist in some special space for casual players only. I think your apparent belief that hardcore players don't care about alts at all is way off base.

Tacitus_

For one, its not a statement that means anything, and second, the point I'm making is, somewhat ironically, the opposite of that. Not having a new race or class is something that I fear will make people to quit faster, which dilutes the player population for end-game stuff. Most players I know exist somewhere between hardcore and super casual and almost all of them leveled Monks, Pandas or Worgen in their spare time between raids and other end-game content. Alts are part of the game now; they don't exist in some special space for casual players only. I think your apparent belief that hardcore players don't care about alts at all is way off base.

Yeah, I can see that. But I'm focused on end game so I don't really care about that. The new models will be just fiiiiiine for me.

Loxley

I asked this in the blizzcon thread, but are there any big NA gaf guilds? Been looking for a good one for a bit now :)

None that I know of, we're all pretty scattered. Anytime GAF tries to make a guild it generally lasts for a couple months and then fizzles :(

This makes no sense to me:

How is this time travel going to work with the story?
We aren't going back in time, the Dark Portal is turning red, bad guys are coming through. We look at the Orc Clans as they were, but things are happening now. The end of this expansion will launch the next one.

Will we have two of characters due to the time travel?
No, this isn't a time travel or paradox story, it is about going to Draenor.

Then...

Is there a chance of looking at alternative realities based on what we change by going back in time?
Yes, it will give us that opportunity. It affects our current timeline, but does not affect the past.

So...we are going back in time or not going back in time? I am completely confused on what's going on with the expansion.

Alex

What happened to PvP stuff? It sounds like theyre taking the pointless mega-grind off? I havent been keeping up for quite some time, so I dont know whats brand new or not.

Loxley

This makes no sense to me:

Then...

So...we are going back in time or not going back in time? I am completely confused on what's going on with the expansion.

Blizzard is sort of playing with semantics. I think they're avoiding using the words "time travel" because it has certain implications which they're going to avoid.

Yes, you're going through a portal to the past. However, you're not doing so to stop Garrosh from changing history or anything (so in that sense, "time travel" isn't important) instead you're trying to stop him from bringing the Iron Horde back through the portal to modern-day Azeroth.

I've never met anyone that never rerolled other than people who didn't play for very long.

I've played my lock as my main since vanilla came out. Quit raiding in Cata, but I've always considered him my main despite having other max level alts to play around with each expansion. Unless you just mean not reroll = never level alts? I dunno, I know lots of people that have mained one toon for a long long time, just seems like a weird statement to me.

mclem

I think it boils down to a notion that 'no-one ever stated the Dark Portal was constrained to within our universe'.

That is, Garrosh's meddling has meant that there is now *another* instance of Draenor in existence, and this one is hooked up to the red portal : It is Draenor *from* a distinct time, but it is Draenor *as* a distinct place.

I suspect this is cheesier than they'll loreify it, but think of it as "We don't go back in time, Draenor comes forwards". Everything related to this Draenor is handled as if it is here *now* and connected to Azeroth through the red portal.

...pure guesswork, but that seems to just about fit with all the language they're using to describe it.

I've played my lock as my main since vanilla came out. Quit raiding in Cata, but I've always considered him my main despite having other max level alts to play around with each expansion. Unless you just mean not reroll = never level alts? I dunno, I know lots of people that have mained one toon for a long long time, just seems like a weird statement to me.
I guess this covers me. I'm a player with over a year of /played, I'm a Paladin, I've been a paladin since Vanilla, and I've never really played alts. My highest character outside my main is a hunter in his mid-thirties who I haven't touched - except to act as a storage facility - in several years. Put it this way: Here he is. Look at his level. Look at his gloves.

idlewild_

Yeah, I made my hunter back in 2004 and it's been my main this entire time. I have made plenty of alts of other classes, but I always level/gear my hunter up first.

Level 100 talents are being posted here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...evel-100-Talents-(Updating-as-I-get-more-info)

Some of them sound pretty awesome.

Angry Grimace

I don't think there are many players that have 0 alts and never play with other characters, whether they max them or not. Whether you max them out or raid/main them isn't really relevant to the point. Its alternative content that keeps people subbed for a lot longer and makes use of the existing content in the game rather than requiring lots of new content.

Talent stuff:

Those rogue talents look like they need some work. The combo-point generator one is going to be way overpowered.

I guess this covers me. I'm a player with over a year of /played, I'm a Paladin, I've been a paladin since Vanilla, and I've never really played alts. My highest character outside my main is a hunter in his mid-thirties who I haven't touched - except to act as a storage facility - in several years. Put it this way: Here he is. Look at his level. Look at his gloves.

I'm not saying players like you don't exist, but I think its a pretty big minority of players.

mclem

Yeah, I made my hunter back in 2004 and it's been my main this entire time. I have made plenty of alts of other classes, but I always level/gear my hunter up first.

Level 100 talents are being posted here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...evel-100-Talents-(Updating-as-I-get-more-info)

From the paladin tank standpoint: Divine Conviction doesn't strike me as much fun. Seal of Faith is probably not worth using over Seal of Insight, but The Light Within looks rather nice indeed (and *possibly* OP). I do like the way The Light Within is a callback to the classic judgement-effect-based-on-seal-type system.

That said, I do like the Warrior's L100 of a more offensive defensive (uh...) stance. It'd be nice if we had an option as a paladin tank to go for something more offensive. Maybe we'll reach a point where Seal of Insight is not the only *real* choice for a tank seal.

I'm not saying players like you don't exist, but I think its a pretty big minority of players.

I think it's rather a small minority, myself :)

Yeah, I agree. I rationalise it as "I'm not good enough yet on my main to justify spending time on another". Which I usually say to people who have many alts but underperform on their mains to irritate them :)

Angry Grimace

From the paladin tank standpoint: Divine Conviction doesn't strike me as much fun. Seal of Faith is probably not worth using over Seal of Insight, but The Light Within looks rather nice indeed (and *possibly* OP). I do like the way The Light Within is a callback to the classic judgement-effect-based-on-seal-type system.

That said, I do like the Warrior's L100 of a more offensive defensive (uh...) stance. It'd be nice if we had an option as a paladin tank to go for something more offensive. Maybe we'll reach a point where Seal of Insight is not the only *real* choice for a tank seal.

I think it's rather a small minority, myself :)

Yeah, I agree. I rationalise it as "I'm not good enough yet on my main to justify spending time on another". Which I usually say to people who have many alts but underperform on their mains to irritate them :)

Quiet you!

Jag

Blizzard is sort of playing with semantics. I think they're avoiding using the words "time travel" because it has certain implications which they're going to avoid.

Yes, you're going through a portal to the past. However, you're not doing so to stop Garrosh from changing history or anything (so in that sense, "time travel" isn't important) instead you're trying to stop him from bringing the Iron Horde back through the portal to modern-day Azeroth.

I thought we were going through the Portal now, just to a world that wasn't corrupted or hadn't assploded.

Speaking of which, Blasted Lands won't be blasted?

Tacitus_

I thought we were going through the Portal now, just to a world that wasn't corrupted or hadn't assploded.

Speaking of which, Blasted Lands won't be blasted?

I believe Blasted Lands will stay blasted. We're going to an alternate Draenor in the past. Azeroth shouldn't change.

TheContact

I have 11 alliance 90s on KT and I'm looking to start on Horde, I have some horde 80-90s scattered through servers but I'm looking to join Wow Horde GAF. What server is everyone on and what's the guild name? I've been playing since vanilla

Cipherr

fofLbzR.png

Is that what I think it is? Clearcasting procs for Resto lasting 5 seconds instead of one cast? Isnt that 1 second longer than the crazy awesome Meta gem I have in my Priests Helm?

Oh my lord.....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A new ... defensive stance? Didn't expect that.

Warlocks continue to be favored class since Vanilla. Always get the flashier talents.

Angry Grimace

I have 11 alliance 90s on KT and I'm looking to start on Horde, I have some horde 80-90s scattered through servers but I'm looking to join Wow Horde GAF. What server is everyone on and what's the guild name? I've been playing since vanilla

There isn't one.

Some of these talents are making it very clear that CC is dead for all eternity - there's a bunch of uncontrollable AoE in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom