• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am wigging out slightly, I have to admit, trying to figure out just how to handle the loot distribution in the next expansion. If they go through with the choice between personal loot or standard RL-chosen distribution, it's going to require a bit of consideration. Better to go with guaranteed drops or play the odds per-person?

If it is a guild group, or at least mostly people you know, standard loot is probably best depending on what the personal loot chance is. If it's 15%, like it was in every tier other than SoO, you will end up with more loot with traditional (15% x 10 people = 1.5 pieces of loot, where standard loot in a 10 man is 2 pieces)

But if it's 20-25% like SoO is reported to be, it becomes a bit muddier.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Got back in since a month or so, with a group of friends.
That's our first shot at MoP after we stopped playing during cata's first raid.

All i can say is: Throughly fuck legendary cloaks.
Just got back? Hey, let's have you wait TWO TO THREE MONTHS for a piece of gear that's basically required to do hard modes!...

Raiding 2/7, casually, for now. Up to 12/14 normal in a month's worth.. not too shabby, but lack of gear really hurts. There's people still wearing 496 timeless for where lfr\flex\normal refused to yield anything...

Ultratech

Reading the gearing changes recently, they're really trying to simplify gearing characters up aren't they?

As far as Hit/Expertise going away, I don't mind that.

But with the addition of stuff like Cleaving, Avoidance, etc, that'll make things a bit interesting.
(I now see why the trinkets were so interesting in SoO now; they were obviously testing them out for WoD.)

Anywho, managed to tame Ban'thalos today and I've been playing around with Hearthstone.
I see why people really enjoy playing it now. It's really fun.

Blackage

Whooo boy, gonna be running Siege of Orgrimmar for a while. :)

"Another MoP patch would delay WoD, so Patch 5.5 isn't going to happen. The entire team is working on WoD right now, so any more MoP content would slow down development."

Cipherr

So since gear stats will change based on spec, doesn't that mean everyone will be rolling on the same loot among shared armor classes? Or did I miss how they're going to solve this.

I think personal loot is coming to instance runs and heroics. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it an option for all raids outside of LFR also. Let people choose which loot system to use before each boss pull.

I prefer the personal loot by a MILE. God its so good....

CassSept

I'm so conflicted about this expansion. There is a couple of interesting ideas, some good art here and there, the released music sounds amazing but there is a lot that's downright uninteresting.

I'm rather disappointed that Wrathion will be missing for the expansion. Eh. Wonder who will help Garrosh escape then.

Fjordson

"Another MoP patch would delay WoD, so Patch 5.5 isn't going to happen. The entire team is working on WoD right now, so any more MoP content would slow down development."
Damn. I like 5.4, but I doubt I'll be playing it right up to WoD.

Oh well, can just let my sub lapse for a few months at the end. And hopefully this just means WoD will be out in the summer.

Mothman91

I wanted to pop in here after reading this on mmo champ:
There will be few or no daily quests at level 100!
There will be more max level content than ever before.

qb4Bish.gif%5B

one question though about :

People really liked the Patch 5.1 daily quest story line, as well as the Timeless Isle reward system. These will be combined to create big zones with long progressive story lines that are more free form.

are they talking about the daily questline for warsong offensive? That one was fine, as long as they fucking avoid the dailies it started out with...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Yeah, this bit of info makes it extra surprising that they didn't announce another annual pass promotion to curb pre-xpac sub loss. By essentially announcing that what we have now is all we get until WoD launches, there's very little incentive for people to stay subbed once they are done with SoO. I mean shit, the only reason I can think of to keep doing it is for the heirlooms of garrosh.

Yeah Warsong offensive/Operation Shieldwall.

Those gave you 4 a day then a little story arc every 3-6k rep or so?

I don't believe you had to do the actual dailies. The storyline quests were simply three or four days apart so they'd pop up even without doing the dailies each day.

No, they were rep based. If you do them on a second character with the 2x rep boost you can sometimes do multiple story quests in one day.

Strange, guess that's the case after looking it up. I probably didn't notice since I actually like doing dailies and had no problem doing them. I believe someone in my guild told me the story stuff rolled out every few days so I just went with that and was obviously working on the dailies at the same time.

Tacitus_

Remember when they first introduced dailies in BC and everyone was all like "wow this is awesome, I have actually stuff to do at max now"?
pandaria did have too many dailies at the start, no doubt about that but still, this backlash is quite funny

CassSept

Well I never went past 5.1 so I don't know how the timeless isle was.

All I remember was doing 20+ dailies a day which was fucking tiring.

They went overboard at 5.0, that's a fact and I agree. They went waaaay too far, but it doesn't mean they have to get rid of dailies altogether. It's a fine system if done with some restraint and 5.1 Domination/Shieldwall was great.

Timeless Isle was a decent idea and I'm not gonna preemptively say lvl 100 content is gonna suck, but I fear what's gonna come. It's a fine and novel idea, but in the longer run it's more frustrating and boring than dailies ever were.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, yay! Instead of quickly doing dailys we will be camping for hours for random spawns, win/win!

I have a bad feeling they're really going to push scenarios as content. Not sure if other players find them as mindless as I do.

Rokam

I have a bad feeling they're really going to push scenarios as content. Not sure if other players find them as mindless as I do.

As a dirty casual... I avoid them. If I could queue and do it by myself, I'd do them more. As it stands right now they're even duller than heroics are at this time.

mclem

If it is a guild group, or at least mostly people you know, standard loot is probably best depending on what the personal loot chance is. If it's 15%, like it was in every tier other than SoO, you will end up with more loot with traditional (15% x 10 people = 1.5 pieces of loot, where standard loot in a 10 man is 2 pieces)

But if it's 20-25% like SoO is reported to be, it becomes a bit muddier.

And there's a corollary onto this, of course, which is: Is it worth changing situationally? If most of us are geared from a given boss, and there's one person who needs one item, does going with standard loot give more effective chances for that item to drop than personal loot does?

So much to think about! Warforged still being in mixes that up still further, of course. I wonder if bonus rolls will still exist.

Jag

I notice they didn't mention rep either. They've added rep faction with every content patch in MoP. Timeless Isle Shaohao being the worst rep grind since Vanilla (I know, they say it's "optional"). Hopefully that isn't the direction they are going with rep.

CassSept

I notice they didn't mention rep either. They've added rep faction with every content patch in MoP. Timeless Isle Shaohao being the worst rep grind since Vanilla (I know, they say it's "optional"). Hopefully that isn't the direction they are going with rep.

In new quest log you can see a rep bar with the zone you're in, but I don't think they said much about that

Magnus

Awesome idea what's been floating around in some of the other threads:

What if your alts could be your garrison followers? :eek:

I fucking love the idea of a player's army of characters working together and supporting each other - I've kind of always imagined my crew of characters as being members of the same squad sometimes, but it would be so awesome to finally see them in the same virtual space together!

Also, god damn. New login screen music is dope (if repetitive). Aside from the classic original, I think Pandaria's is actually my favourite so far. It's fucking beautiful.

idlewild_

pandaria did have too many dailies at the start, no doubt about that but still, this backlash is quite funny

Yeah, the biggest problem I had was the time commitment required to get it all done. The rep gains were tuned way too low, there were too many factions to do at the same time, and some of the quests were nightmares to complete on high population servers (finding the guy in the cage for the golden lotus quests took forever even at 8am on Stormrage.)

If they had significantly increased the rep gains for each faction but only allowed you to do one or two of the factions on a given day, then I think it would have been alright. It still would have taken the same number of days to get everything to exalted and you wouldn't need to plop down more than as much time everyday in order to get everything done.

This is especially painful at the start of the expansion when you are also trying to spam dungeons to gear up (compounded by the fact that JP/VP gains were atrocious and the JP gear was bad,) max out your professions, farm up consumables, do quests to see the story, etc. Not sure if they fixed this later in the expansion since I quit after a month or so of this, but the start of this expansion was definitely the least alt-friendly since TBC, maybe even Vanilla.

tbh, I have the same apathy towards dungeons as I do towards scenarios. I will do them once for the story and then only ever step in them again if I need the gear/VP/achievement or to run a friend's character through. I don't think I have ever repeated a dungeon just for fun since they feel just as mindless/boring as scenarios.

Anoregon

\

So much to think about! Warforged still being in mixes that up still further, of course. I wonder if bonus rolls will still exist.

I'm pretty sure they said bonus rolls are going to stay.

idlewild_

I'm pretty sure they said bonus rolls are going to stay.

Yeah, they did. We know that warforged and tertiary stats don't count against the stat budget and are randomed onto gear. They also mentioned that sockets don't have bonuses and don't count against the stat budget, so I wonder if sockets will be randomed onto gear as well. That would make getting a true BIS set almost impossible and provide incentive to farm and use the bonus rolls even late in the patch cycle since you could have a chance at rolling a warforged/socketed item with a good tertiary stat.

No more patches until WoD. Wow, this could get very old fast if we have to wait a long time with just SoO.

5.4 came out exactly 2 months ago, so if people are starting to get tired of it now it's going to be a pretty rough wait for the expansion :p

I really, really hope they're aiming for the April timeframe to get it out.

Bet on May/June, I think. Diablo 3 RoS will be coming out probably in March/April and I doubt they release both at the same time.

Release dates of Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online may also change the schedule.

mclem

That does mildly worry me: I was okay with grinding rep through dailies; I find that much more interesting than simply grinding rep through killing. That might be okay for DPS, but it's not all that much fun for tanks.

mileS

Well I never went past 5.1 so I don't know how the timeless isle was.

All I remember was doing 20+ dailies a day which was fucking tiring.

Dailies in MoP got to an insane point. Don't think anyone can argue that. But in typical Blizzard fashion its one extreme to the complete opposite.

Jrmint

I agree completely removing dailies would be a mistake. I also used it as a major way to make gold in the expansion. The one nice thing is there will be much less enchants and gems to buy, so you won't have to spend so much the moment you get new gear.

Anoregon

I just saw the screenshot from the blizzcon floor of "Vindictor Akama" in legit draenei mode. THEM BROKEN DONE GOT FIXED

Or well, they never got broke, because it was demon felhorde business that broke them in the first place.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I just saw the screenshot from the blizzcon floor of "Vindictor Akama" in legit draenei mode. THEM BROKEN DONE GOT FIXED

Or well, they never got broke, because it was demon felhorde business that broke them in the first place.

Indeed. During one of the first quests you do for Velen you have to run around and help out some dudes, Akama is one of them.

Dawg

Remember when they first introduced dailies in BC and everyone was all like "wow this is awesome, I have actually stuff to do at max now"?

I'll take dailies any day over Cataclysm's end game.

I agree the game has an extreme amount of them, but at least you have something to do. There's nothing worse than endgame where you can only do raids and dungeons. That shit gets boring fast.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll take dailies any day over Cataclysm's end game.

I agree the game has an extreme amount of them, but at least you have something to do. There's nothing worse than endgame where you can only do raids and dungeons. That shit gets boring fast.

But... Cataclysm also had dailies for endgame.

Fjordson

I kinda like dailies. Though I'm probably in the minority in that I'm mostly worthless when it comes to making money. Never worked the AH or done much with professions, so a handful of dailies each day is a nice way to cover repairs and flasks and whatnot. I also like all the rewards like mounts and tabards (or that fishing raft from the Anglers).

That being said, MoP certainly felt a bit too reliant on them.

Dawg

But... Cataclysm also had daiiles for endgame.

It did?

Well... ehm...

It shows I didn't play that expansion that much. It's still the worst xpac though!

I kinda like dailies. Though I'm probably in the minority in that I'm mostly worthless when it comes to making money. Never worked the AH or done much with professions, so a handful of dailies each day is a nice way to cover repairs and flasks and whatnot. I also like all the rewards like mounts and tabards (or that fishing raft from the Anglers).

That being said, MoP certainly felt a bit too reliant on them.

I feel you, bro. I've been playing since Vanilla and I only have one lvl 90 character, my rogue. His professions are JC and Engineering. I know people with millions of gold. I got like 30K and the only reason I have that much is because I found a ring in Cataclysm when I reached lvl 85 and I sold it for 25000 gold.

Mothman91

No more patches until WoD. Wow, this could get very old fast if we have to wait a long time with just SoO.

I always had the idea that once you knew the that the last patch was out for an expansion, everything went slow. Lots of people stopped subbing and they would wait until the next expansion, but that's just me.

Also, what's mythic raiding? reading on mmo champ that people are not liking the idea of 20m mythic raiding.

I always had the idea that once you knew the that the last patch was out for an expansion, everything went slow. Lots of people stopped subbing and they would wait until the next expansion, but that's just me.

Also, what's mythic raiding? reading on mmo champ that people are not liking the idea of 20m mythic raiding.

Mythic difficulty is meant to replace heroic 25 man raiding as the cutting edge of PvE content.

People hate it because it destroys guilds that have so far been at that edge of content with a meticulously groomed roster of 10 or 25 people as it is.

Mothman91

Mythic difficulty is meant to replace heroic 25 man raiding as the cutting edge of PvE content.

People hate it because it destroys guilds that have so far been at that edge of content with a meticulously groomed roster of 10 or 25 people as it is.

So they are removing 25m heroic mode? How about 10m heroic, that also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom