• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logged into WoW for the first time since Cata hit final beta. Must have been 3-4 years.

I don't recognize the game anymore. Or I do. But the graphics. Jesus. The floor textures in goldshire:O the character models. They have less detail in them than a unit from Starcraft 2. At the same time, Panderean looks great.
If the other races are brought up to Panderean it will be fantastic.

But the graphics. The animations. ohh man, it's aged. I remember thinking that this cartoony art style would never feel old, hehe. 2004 is a long time ago!

CassSept

No flying is certainly... interesting

It's a fantasy game.

I know I know, I was half-joking and half being really really amazed at how much more stupid they can get with lorelol.

Say we are in Azeroth A. Draenor A is currently Outland. What Blizzard is saying (if I understand everything) is that Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor B before the First War (which I believe is 30 years prior to the current wow events?). He then stays there for that entire time. He then comes through the dark portal after the MoP events I believe. So if I'm getting this right, Garrosh was in Draenor B another 30 (or whatever amount) of years and is coming to Azeroth A's present... which is the events after MoP. I don't think current Outland is stuck at all since it already exists in Azeroth/Draenor A's timeline.

No that's not right. Time/space is actually folded, that is the Dark Portal will connect present Azeroth A to Draenor B 30 years ago. One of the main points is that we're meeting Warlords of Draenor, 30 years later half of them would be dead and Grom would be older than "Saurfang the Elder".

Boo at no flying in Draenor of all places. Back when I first hit 70, I just flew all over the place. Because I could. On a shitty 60% increase mount.
And then after some weeks of farming monsters and nodes... epic flying. Weeeee

http://i.imgur.com/x5IuDrB.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if these beautiful skyboxes will return, after all these are parts of Twisting Nether and we are going there before Draenor was ripped apart :(

Well, at least we're sitll going back to Nagrand! Hope there is more to do at high level there, the most beautiful zone in-game ended up being the most neglected one at level cap (only 2 or so dailies, both added late in expansion cycle).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Logged into WoW for the first time since Cata hit final beta. Must have been 3-4 years.

I don't recognize the game anymore. Or I do. But the graphics. Jesus. The floor textures in goldshire:O the character models. They have less detail in them than a unit from Starcraft 2. At the same time, Panderean looks great.
If the other races are brought up to Panderean it will be fantastic.

But the graphics. The animations. ohh man, it's aged. I remember thinking that this cartoony art style would never feel old, hehe. 2004 is a long time ago!

I bought the item from Timeless Isle that transform you into a pandaren, and the animation looks so much better than on my female draenei. Almost makes me want to change race... too bad there is no such thing as a pandaren paladin.

Oh well, hopefully the draenei model update will be out before 2015. Or maybe i'll just switch her to a human or dwarf, since the new models will obviously be out before draeneis.

McNei1y

No that's not right. Time/space is actually folded, that is the Dark Portal will connect present Azeroth A to Draenor B 30 years ago. One of the main points is that we're meeting Warlords of Draenor, 30 years later half of them would be dead and Grom would be older than "Saurfang the Elder".

You're probably right but I just took it that way because Blizzard said during the panels that Garrosh is "old enough to be Thrall's dad" now. So I took that as Garrosh taking multiple years to finally gather the Iron Horde together. I mean, he's not instantly going back in time and immediately gathering the Iron Horde. They don't even exist yet.

I don't know. Whatever.

idlewild_

Forgive my ignorant question, but could an enchanter enlighten me on how much it would cost to level the enchanting profession from 0-600? I've been told just under 8K, which seems worth it compared to leather working. I also hate not having an enchanter when running heroic dungeons. Thanks!

As with all of these questions, it entirely depends on your server, faction population, patience, and time you are willing to invest. If you want to buy everything off of the AH in one go, then 8k is probably a bit low and unless you are on a fairly populated server there just aren't going to be enough materials up at any given time and there is a decent chance someone will catch on and start relisting at higher prices (particularly for TBC/Wrath enchanting mats.)

I believe I spent around 15k to power-level enchanting and maybe 20-25k on leatherworking - this is combining the cost of 1-525 in Cata and 525-600 in MoP. However, I did do 1-525 on a medium-low pop server and 525-600 in a very high pop server, also both parts were done in the space of 1-2 hours so I was basically paying w/e the sellers wanted to charge instead of hunting for deals.

Things you can do to speed up this process and lessen the gold hit:
1. Run lower level dungeons and DE everything
2. Collect cloth from these dungeons and have a tailor alt craft stuff to DE
3. Look for weapons/armor on AH that are selling for less than the mats they DE into
4. Keep track of items you can convert between and always buy the cheaper one (e.g. lesser to greater essence, abyss crystals vs infinte dust/greater cosmic essence - I used to make a lot of money shattering these and selling the dust/essence for 5-10x what the crystal cost.)

Enchanting is nice to have in dungeons, but you are only really saving on BoP items that no-one needs and you win the DE roll on - you can always keep BoE items in your bag and ask someone to DE them later for cheap. With the changes in WoD, the gold income from enchanting looks like it will drop a good amount. You can make decent money with almost any profession, so consider whether you are ever really going to be able to make up the cost you put in versus sticking with your current profession. I'm not saying you shouldn't switch or your reasons for switching are bad, but I know some people have a hard time making gold in game and if you are one of them then you should think twice whether the investment is worth it. Obviously if you have some gold to blow, all of these things are irrelevant.

Tacitus_

Oh wow, that long? I was thinking of renewing my sub in January and that's on the list of things to collect before WoD comes around. I think I was about half way done with the first part (collecting items for the legendary gem,) when my sub lapsed.

Probably not that long unless they ship WoD before spring, but it will take several months to complete it. I'd say 2-3 months is a reasonable estimate now that they buffed the drop chances and made it so the first two wings in SoO can drop the items as well.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You guys think I should work on my Worgen druid, or my Draenei monk? Want to try and start putting some effort, again.

Draenei monk, because I have literally never seen one.

Jag

Oh wow, that long? I was thinking of renewing my sub in January and that's on the list of things to collect before WoD comes around. I think I was about half way done with the first part (collecting items for the legendary gem,) when my sub lapsed.

Running endless LFRs for the 20 drops made me quit again. It just became mind numbingly boring after awhile and accelerated burnout.

Of course I quit less than a month ago and already have the itch to come back again!

Yeah Firelands, it's probably even easier for Blood DK. I did it as a ret pally in LFR gear.

An 85 raid is easy? I haven't tried to go back and do any cata stuff. I guess the iLVL jump really is astounding.

<--- did no cata raiding except dragon soul.

Question for you warlocks out there. Since I got some cloth drops from TImeless Isle I now finally want to drag my lock from 80-90 and go after the green fire quest. Cause that shit is awesome. What iLvL should I be shooting for to be able to get it? I figured I could get to 90 and farm some drops and hopefully get a few burdens so I could update his gear once I get there. I wish Burden's weren't soul bound.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
An 85 raid is easy? I haven't tried to go back and do any cata stuff. I guess the iLVL jump really is astounding.

Question for you warlocks out there. Since I got some cloth drops from TImeless Isle I now finally want to drag my lock from 80-90 and go after the green fire quest. Cause that shit is awesome. What iLvL should I be shooting for to be able to get it? I figured I could get to 90 and farm some drops and hopefully get a few burdens so I could update his gear once I get there. I wish Burden's weren't soul bound.

I did it with pretty crappy gear at the time, I think I barely had any 502 loot. But also, when I did it you could use demonic gateway every 15 seconds to clear aggro and you can't now, so I dunno.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
As with all of these questions, it entirely depends on your server, faction population, patience, and time you are willing to invest. If you want to buy everything off of the AH in one go, then 8k is probably a bit low and unless you are on a fairly populated server there just aren't going to be enough materials up at any given time and there is a decent chance someone will catch on and start relisting at higher prices (particularly for TBC/Wrath enchanting mats.)

I believe I spent around 15k to power-level enchanting and maybe 20-25k on leatherworking - this is combining the cost of 1-525 in Cata and 525-600 in MoP. However, I did do 1-525 on a medium-low pop server and 525-600 in a very high pop server, also both parts were done in the space of 1-2 hours so I was basically paying w/e the sellers wanted to charge instead of hunting for deals.

Things you can do to speed up this process and lessen the gold hit:
1. Run lower level dungeons and DE everything
2. Collect cloth from these dungeons and have a tailor alt craft stuff to DE
3. Look for weapons/armor on AH that are selling for less than the mats they DE into
4. Keep track of items you can convert between and always buy the cheaper one (e.g. lesser to greater essence, abyss crystals vs infinte dust/greater cosmic essence - I used to make a lot of money shattering these and selling the dust/essence for 5-10x what the crystal cost.)

Enchanting is nice to have in dungeons, but you are only really saving on BoP items that no-one needs and you win the DE roll on - you can always keep BoE items in your bag and ask someone to DE them later for cheap. With the changes in WoD, the gold income from enchanting looks like it will drop a good amount. You can make decent money with almost any profession, so consider whether you are ever really going to be able to make up the cost you put in versus sticking with your current profession. I'm not saying you shouldn't switch or your reasons for switching are bad, but I know some people have a hard time making gold in game and if you are one of them then you should think twice whether the investment is worth it. Obviously if you have some gold to blow, all of these things are irrelevant.

That's the exact answer I was looking for. Luckily I don't have a problem with gold, it seems pretty easy to come across just doing dungeons, scenarios and raids. Thanks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are those the best pre-raid gear? It's better than the justice point gear right?

To the extent you can use JP to get Krarasang Faction gear, that is better than what you an get on TI, but the rest of the JP gear is lower ilvl than Timeless Isle stuff.

Anoregon

Blizz shat the bed with JP pretty bad with mists. It was completely worthless for the majority of the xpac for anything other than heirlooms, which is probably a big reason why 5-man heroics felt so unimportant and forgettable compared to previous xpacs.

I did it in the 470s, but with flask and food buffs. Didn't use a gateway either, but you can spam the pit lord's breath onto yourself to clear debuffs. With Timeless Isle gear+ I imagine it would be cake.

Jag

Did anyone see this on MMO champ from the next PTR build?

Phase #2801 - Karazhan Restoration

Lots of speculation what this could be. Could be part of the pre-xp content or it could just be a flashback.

Bisnic

Blizz shat the bed with JP pretty bad with mists. It was completely worthless for the majority of the xpac for anything other than heirlooms, which is probably a big reason why 5-man heroics felt so unimportant and forgettable compared to previous xpacs.

The only reason i do heroics is because its a very easy 80 VP. One heroic per day + that daily Emperor rep that gives 50 VP + 50 Epoch Stone for 200VP and one or two LFRs for 90 VP and i quickly reach the weekly cap.

I hate how fucking easy LFD heroics are now. :( Not that I want something as hard as BC or early Cata, but man... give us a little challenge at least, make the bosses dangerous or something.

The only reason i do heroics is because its a very easy 80 VP. One heroic per day + that daily Emperor rep that gives 50 VP + 50 Epoch Stone for 200VP and one or two LFRs for 90 VP and i quickly reach the weekly cap.

I hate how fucking easy LFD heroics are now. :( Not that I want something as hard as BC or early Cata, but man... give us a little challenge at least, make the bosses dangerous or something.

Would be nice to have a reason to use CC outside of raid trash again. I can't remember the last time I saw sap, polymorph, etc wear off on a mob.

Anoregon

Wrath heroics were pretty much perfect. Not as hard as BC, but not faceroll easy until fairly late in the xpac when everyone totally outgeared them.

Bashiok said:
The second thing is we really like when flying feels like a reward and something you've earned for each new expansion or area. It's such a powerful ability and we look back at BC (at least for epic riding) or Wrath and those were really big keystone achievements for us as players (mainly because they had some pretty huge gold costs on them...). Regardless of the unlock method though it was one of the bigger moments when you unlocked flying, took to the skies, and were able to see the world from an entirely different vantage because for most of us it wasn't easily attainable. Our plan has been to recapture some of that but make it a bit cooler, and while we don't have specifics just yet, it'll be something more involved than just paying gold; something that further emphasizes how powerful flight is. Unlocking it won't just be level 100 on the day 6.1 comes out with some gold, but something you'll be working toward over the course of the initial expansion release, and 6.1 will introduce the final steps to complete it. Think of something like a mini Legendary cloak quest. It's such a enormous power to be able to fly we really want it to be more of a key moment when you unlock it, and something that feels like an accomplishment more than just shelling out some gold like we've had in the past.

I like the sound of that =D

Bisnic

Would be nice to have a reason to use CC outside of raid trash again. I can't remember the last time I saw sap, polymorph, etc wear off on a mob.

It's funny how we went from Cata, where almost every pulls asked for some kind of CC, to MoP where its basically "fuck it, let's AOE everything to death".

But...since expansions have been going like that since BC:

BC : CC required
WOTLK : No CC required
Cata : CC required
MoP : No CC required

One can only assume that WoD will bring CC back into heroics(and scenarios)... maybe.

Anoregon

People definitely misremember wrath heroics early on. There was definitely CC going on in at least some of them, and wipes weren't terribly rare, especially in Ahn'Kahet and Gun'Drak. Halls of Lightning had some serious trash pulls as well.

Draxal

People definitely misremember wrath heroics early on. There was definitely CC going on in at least some of them, and wipes weren't terribly rare, especially in Ahn'Kahet and Gun'Drak. Halls of Lightning had some serious trash pulls as well.

Yeah, the problem with Wrath was how easy Naxx was. HoL's final boss was tough on an under geared group as well.

Anoregon

Yeah, the problem with Wrath was how easy Naxx was. HoL's final boss was tough on an under geared group as well.

Yeah Loken was a fucking bastard, especially when he would keep refusing to drop that axe.

Mothman91

Characters only, so each character can loot the chests. Only BoP item is Burdens.

Wooo, thank you sir. I have not gotten any luck with my Priest, I think I've gotten more pieces for other armor specs than mine. Hopefully I'll get some cloth gear on my Paladin.

Bisnic

I don't really remember CCing in those instances. Sure the bosses and some of the trash were a little tough and we had to be careful with our pulls, but CC?? I don't remember that.

Draxal

I don't really remember CCing in those instances. Sure the bosses and some of the trash were a little tough and we had to be careful with our pulls, but CC?? I don't remember that.

I remember ccing shadowflingers in Anubarak. This is also before every class was given interrupts as well. Also remember ccing some guys in HOR during the gauntlet part in undergeared groups.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Farming Netherwing rep. I miss BC.

I love how each expansion has altered the mood and feel of things enough for them each to feel like a separate game. Vanilla/BC/Wrath/MoP all feel so distinct from one another. Cata does too, but to a lesser extent... I guess because we were back in EK/Kalimdor.

McNei1y

Farming Netherwing rep. I miss BC.

I love how each expansion has altered the mood and feel of things enough for them each to feel like a separate game. Vanilla/BC/Wrath/MoP all feel so distinct from one another. Cata does too, but to a lesser extent... I guess because we were back in EK/Kalimdor.

I remember when my friend farmed for the Netherwing mount back in BC. He said it took him 30 days and around 2 hour a day doing each quest. He then had to drop around 1k gold to get the mount. It all seemed like so much back then. I got around 7 days farmed and completed and then I stopped. I finally got back to farming it right when Cata came out. Took me another week but logged some serious hours since I just looked for eggs all day since I didn't want to do the quests the next day.

Anyways, it brought back some serious memories. I felt like I was back in BC all of a sudden.

Anoregon

I guarantee you the only heroics I've ever CC'ed in were BC.

I definitely remember there being CC on the pulls before Loken, the big packs of mixed iron vrykul and dwarf. The cultist packs by the last couple bosses of Ahn Kahet as well.

CassSept

Can't say much about Cata heroics as I quit shortly after hitting 85 (I was so bored with the game back then), though I do remember the few attempts I did at them got nasty pretty quickly.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves and not overblow Wrath heroics as they were laughably easy. Even the fabled HoL, it was the first heroic I entered as a fresh 80 and I don't remember it being much hard. I had Loken achievement within 10 days of Wrath's release, with a decent group they were easily doable and with few epics they were steamrollable. OTOH, some of the TBC heroics were hellish even with a group of seasoned raiders. Damn you Shattered Halls, I hate Blizz for bringing Kargath back :mad:

So, when do we get to go to the emerald dream and fight that last Old God?

There should be at least one more than the last one, no? C'thun, Yogg, Y'shaarj, we still have N'zoth and at the very least we have 5 Old Gods so that leaves us still with one unnamed one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wrath heroics were pretty much perfect. Not as hard as BC, but not faceroll easy until fairly late in the xpac when everyone totally outgeared them.

The thing that worked about them was that there were enough dungeons to make half of them easy and half of them hard. I'm not really sure why they don't just have 8 dungeons and some kind of progression path from the first to the last, e.g. you get marginally better gear from the harder ones. Of course, a good group could steamroll WLK heroics even from the start.

It's funny how we went from Cata, where almost every pulls asked for some kind of CC, to MoP where its basically "fuck it, let's AOE everything to death".

But...since expansions have been going like that since BC:

BC : CC required
Cata : CC required
MoP : No CC required

One can only assume that WoD will bring CC back into heroics(and scenarios)... maybe.

I don't see a chance of that happening - they're introducing a lot more incidental AOE from the talents I saw at Blizzcon.

CassSept

I don't see a chance of that happening - they're introducing a lot more incidental AOE from the talents I saw at Blizzcon.

Hell, +cleave is even a stat now :D

With MoP endgame it seemed they are killing CC for good (lot of AoE/add fights, legendary back proc, that cleave trinket) and I guess it's a one-way road now. Some of old fights would not even work now (remember no-cleaves-for-gods-sake fights/phases?), or even trashes (even without cleaves half the melee always died on sisters before Shahraz).

Long story short: CC is as good as dead in PVE, especially in heroics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom