• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A european friend of mine got a US account for that reason. Most of her online friends were in the US.

Also.... oh dear, after adding Yoshi I find myself flying near Galleon's spawn now instead of in a random direction............ Ah whatever I have a butterfly now.
Mwhahahaha, succumb to my addiction!

Trickster

You're stuck playing with players from there. There's no global play, no way to add anyone on the US servers, no way to play cross-realms, etc... It was promised years ago but never delivered upon.

Is this a "I wanna play with fellow gaffers" - issue? Because I really doubt the average US players is better/nicer to play with, than the average EU player.

mclem

VICTORY! I've finally managed to sit out of a raid and still have that raid progress without me; I was able to do some basic maintenance and help the people still not geared with 5-mans, and the raid was able to down Spirit Kings.

I assume the logical progression is "Finish Mogu'shan Vaults, then go to Heart of Fear; don't touch Heroics for now"? And, for that matter, is finishing MV in normal required to enter HoF-normal, or is finishing it in LFR sufficient?

Sophia

I don't see why finishing Mogu'shan Vaults would be required for Heart of Fear. Having better gear would certainly help.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like how Arena went from The Shit in TBC to the sad state it's in now. Shit pvp balancing and hypercompetitive assholes killed it for most of the population.

It was always bad, it's just early on it was new and nostalgia.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/blizzard-arenas-were-a-mistake/
We didn't engineer the game and classes and balance around it, we just added it on, so it continues to be very difficult to balance. Is WoW a PvE cooperative game, or a competitive PvP game? There's constant pressure on the class balance team, there's pressure on the game itself, and a lot of times players who don't PvP don't understand why their classes are changing. I don't think we ever foresaw how much tuning and tweaking we'd have to do to balance it in that direction.

Arenas are a fun little thing to distract the CoD faux-competitive crowd. RBGs are pretty good as far as I know, but I've never done any of them seriously either. I'm surprised they didn't remove Arenas altogether with RBGs, they're slowly making the shift over to separate the PVP/PVE aspects of the game though, they aren't really tweaking stuff for PVP as much anymore it seems unless something is glaring like the blood dk nerf thats coming.

You cant balance a rock-paper-scissors dynamic game when it's just rock and paper.

Sophia

They should really just separate the PvP game from the PvE game in the same way others have done it. Or introduce full-fledge across the board scaling for PvP and keep World PvP objective. Or... really do anything. Anything is better than what we have now. :\

C.Dark.DN

Banned
They should really just separate the PvP game from the PvE game in the same way others have done it. Or introduce full-fledge across the board scaling for PvP and keep World PvP objective. Or... really do anything. Anything is better than what we have now. :\
PVE and PVP is played differently anyway. The chance of me getting to use a complete DPS rotation is rare(or at least the perfect rotation where everything is aligned correctly because the boss is standing still for a good minute). There's a lot of utility spells in between. I see no reason at all for base damage to be the same in both.

Oh wait, I retired.

Rokam

Hozen Peace Pipe get! Now if either tomorrow or thursday's AC dailies are at Temple of the White Tiger and the bonus quest is up, where you have to light the brazier, I'll hit exalted with both AC & Shado-Pan on Thursday. Hooray! Of course I still have to do Shado-Pan every day as I want the title, but the only achievements I have left is the questing with the certain companions and getting Gold in Shado-Pan Monastery achievement :(.

K.Sabot

IMO Resilience and other PvP stats ruined it for me. Vanilla PvP was really fast paced and dangerous where most classes could 2-3 shot you. Fights last way too long now imo.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
IMO Resilience and other PvP stats ruined it for me. Vanilla PvP was really fast paced and dangerous where most classes could 2-3 shot you. Fights last way too long now imo.

Yeah, vanilla was fun. The mage T2 8 peice proc was a chance to insta cast your next spell. I remember getting lucky with that and killing some people in 3 seconds. :p

Sophia

On one hand, I prefer fights lasting longer. On the other hand, I hate how PvP basically boils down to burst damage now. Nobody can take my Resto Druid down unless I'm focus-fired CC'd bursted upon, and I've had Arena Matches that have lasted forever because of a lack of burst.

Meh.

Entropia

No One Remembers
On one hand, I prefer fights lasting longer. On the other hand, I hate how PvP basically boils down to burst damage now. Nobody can take my Resto Druid down unless I'm focus-fired CC'd bursted upon, and I've had Arena Matches that have lasted forever because of a lack of burst.

Meh.

My problem with arena is that it typically relies solely on CC/Silence/Stuns/etc. If your group comp can more effectively do that along side the appropriate burst to kill someone while the other person(s) are CC'd then you win. It's very frustrating.

It was always bad, it's just early on it was new and nostalgia.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/blizzard-arenas-were-a-mistake/

Arenas are a fun little thing to distract the CoD faux-competitive crowd. RBGs are pretty good as far as I know, but I've never done any of them seriously either. I'm surprised they didn't remove Arenas altogether with RBGs, they're slowly making the shift over to separate the PVP/PVE aspects of the game though, they aren't really tweaking stuff for PVP as much anymore it seems unless something is glaring like the blood dk nerf thats coming.

You cant balance a rock-paper-scissors dynamic game when it's just rock and paper.

That's another thing too; class composition. I mean, how many seasons did MRP dominate? I remember the first couple of years I went to Blizzcon - the first year showed the 2v2 finals literally all I saw was Paladin/Warlock vs. Paladin/Warlock. The next year was 3s, which was either Rogue/Mage/Priest or Druid/Warlock/Warrior. PvP isn't exciting when, as Laughtrey said, you're balancing just Rock and Paper. Let's not mention that of all the possible classes and specs, that only certain specs were viable. Destro Locks? Nope - SL/SL only.

Ultratech

Kaaaay! Annnd done. I took the time to ninja yours as well, Yoshichan. =P

Sophia#1244 if anyone wants to add me.

I wonder if we could all get together and set up something using Battletags one of these days, like a raid or something.

I don't know, just a thought.

120 rep to klaxxi exalted, 0 shards

/slit wrist

Shards are such a ripoff. Takes forever to get 20 and then they give crap rep.

So according to the login info the servers are not supposed to be restarted until 10AM PST, but I have been having login server issues for the last hour. Is anyone else seeing this or am I just having bad luck? I also tried using my hotel internet and my WiFi hotspot to rule out connection issues.

Ha ha. No.

Unless if by 'most classes' you mean Warriors and Rogues then yes, most classes could burst you down in in 2 GCDs in Vanilla. Past that you were burning most/all of your cooldowns just to survive in 1v1 world pvp or you ran like hell if you were outnumbered by any countable ratio. Nowadays about every class has a 'do not die for 6 seconds' cooldown that lets you get within range of help.

Even as a rogue, I don't miss it.

I was able to login about 30 minutes ago first try.

Thanks for the info. I am seeing the same problem with the Remote Armory and the login prompt not even appearing on the battle.net webpage (in any browser) so I am going to assume this is not just my system or anything I can control at this point.

Edit: Other people are complaining on Twitter now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Ha ha. No.

Unless if by 'most classes' you mean Warriors and Rogues then yes, most classes could burst you down in in 2 GCDs in Vanilla. Past that you were burning most/all of your cooldowns just to survive in 1v1 world pvp or you ran like hell if you were outnumbered by any countable ratio. Nowadays about every class has a 'do not die for 6 seconds' cooldown that lets you get within range of help.

Even as a rogue, I don't miss it.

POM+ZHC+Pyro, so good.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm pretty stoked for that book. Stackpole is one of my favorite Star Wars authors.

/nerdgasm

Speaking of Authors, anyone else notice how Christie Golden completely blows Richard Knaak out of the water?

Holy shit trying to keep track of what was going on in Stormrage was a mess. He really likes to get like 5 or 6 dry runs of something about to happen in his book before he finally fucking ends it. Wolfheart wasn't much better, in the middle of Varian and Garrosh dueling for some reason a guard came up and attacked Varian, added absolutely nothing to it.

RPGCrazied

Hilarious. I had the plate boots from sha of anger, just now I used a bonus roll on galleon and I got even more boots. Thankfully they are better, but still found that funny.

Garryk

Speaking of Authors, anyone else notice how Christie Golden completely blows Richard Knaak out of the water?

Holy shit trying to keep track of what was going on in Stormrage was a mess. He really likes to get like 5 or 6 dry runs of something about to happen in his book before he finally fucking ends it. Wolfheart wasn't much better, in the middle of Varian and Garrosh dueling for some reason a guard came up and attacked Varian, added absolutely nothing to it.
Christie Golden writes good characters, but she has some habits that annoy me. She needs to learn to use pronouns and general descriptions. I don't know how may times I read a sentence containing "orcs, trolls, Forsaken, blood elfs, goblins, and tauren" or some variation thereof. Just say "races of the Horde." You're not getting paid by the word.

In "The Shattering" she used the name of the ship (Mannoroth's Bones!) in the first chapter at least 100 times. I actually want to go load it up on my Kindle and use the word parser to get the exact count.

But I agree that she is leaps and bounds better than Knaak.

Enosh

Shards are such a ripoff. Takes forever to get 20 and then they give crap rep.
yeah but if you are 120 rep away they are a very big carrot in front of your face :p

went and farmed them didn't take that long, about 2h which is like half of what i expected, it helps if you can pull 8+ mobs at the same time ^^
480ilvl now, yay

Yeah, and how much gear do you need to raid? I've sold a single piece of crafted epic PvE leather for 10k. To get into LFR you either have heroic+ gear in every slot, or you pay for better to get you in the door.

About a day of heroic runs. If you're hybrid, it's easier because you pick up any gear to raise your ilvl. I got raid ready a couple days, another couple of days to get to ilvl 470+.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woooo! Still no Galleon spawn :D

Reset soon, that means it's been approximately 168 hours since he last spawned :3

Yoshichan

That's like... 7 days man ;)
It is 7 days :) He hasn't spawned since maintenance. That's apparently a world record. Only on Mal'Ganis, baby!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
irsduoAMZOZLv.png

Late restart is late.

Also, Exalted with Shado-Pan. :D

Yoshichan

Aaaaand restart inc :3!

PatzCU

I used to pretty much exclusively PvP in WoW until the end of Cata at which point I threw my hands up in the air and said "fuck it". The balancing was shit and simply involved rotating through FotM classes so everyone could have their shot at a Gladiator-viable class. RBGS definitely helped out a bit but at such highly competitive levels, it still boiled down to a few classes necessary for 2700+ ratings.

Coming back to WoW for Pandaria, I'm finding the game MUCH more enjoyable as a PvE only affair. It's nice to not get pissed off at the game anymore. I've turned to Dota for all my PvP needs, at least that is driven by PvP-centric balance.

Yoshichan

Reset time!

Also, if Goon Squad gets the tag they won't share it (with the other 400 people). Fucking assholes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Galleon has made me not hate being on my medium pop server. I've killed him every single week so far and twice a couple of times.

I'd probably not have a single kill if I were on Mal'Ganis or Illidan.

Yoshichan

HE'S UPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're crashing the fucking servers, nothing is working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom