• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerx

rb8m.jpg

4egs.jpg

ibdCdbQu9pdenr.gif

Wow, the whole thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1388532-Photoshop-the-Warlords! is amazing.

Ultratech

I guarantee you the only heroics I've ever CC'ed in were BC.

I still have nightmares of Heroic Shattered Halls.

*Lays down Freezing Trap*
<Trap Resisted>
"FUUUUCK!"
*Runs around trying not to die.*

Speaking of, last week during one of my SoO runs, I trapped some of the Mantid trash before the Paragons, and people were kinda surprised they could be CC'd
(or more like they never tried to; most people just engage all of them).

RPGCrazied

I wonder when WoD beta will start. Just hit 90 on my hunter, so I have 4 now. Kinda of tired of MoP zones. Yet I have an 87 warlock, 85 mage and 85 monk to work on. Then I have yet even more alts lol. I'm kinda glad no new race/class this expansion. Don't really want to go through all that yet again.

I wonder when WoD beta will start.

For Mists the beta started in March, which was only the 1-10 Pandaren starting zone and stuff like the new talents. PTR opened up in July. Then it was released September.

So, they're hoping for early Summer release and if it's at all like the Mists beta, it might last for 6 months. Although wasn't that beta more open early on then previous ones? I'd say it could be in January or February next year if we're lucky

http://i.imgur.com/TNwU4h8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I want it, I need it. If it doesn't get a swarm attack, I'd be sad.

Mothman91

Damn, thought SoO LFR was 490, it's 496 =/

Looks like I'll just go through Thunderlord Raid and hopefully get some gear there. Can anyone tell me where I can get the tokens for extra rolls for that raid?

Salamando

Damn, thought SoO LFR was 490, it's 496 =/

Looks like I'll just go through Thunderlord Raid and hopefully get some gear there. Can anyone tell me where I can get the tokens for extra rolls for that raid?

You want Mogu Runes of Fate. A Vendor on the timeless isle near the Emperor sells them for 1000 timeless coins.

Acidote

I remember when my friend farmed for the Netherwing mount back in BC. He said it took him 30 days and around 2 hour a day doing each quest. He then had to drop around 1k gold to get the mount. It all seemed like so much back then. I got around 7 days farmed and completed and then I stopped. I finally got back to farming it right when Cata came out. Took me another week but logged some serious hours since I just looked for eggs all day since I didn't want to do the quests the next day.

Anyways, it brought back some serious memories. I felt like I was back in BC all of a sudden.

I miss world pvp in the netherwing caves trying to loot those eggs. It wasn't even close in Mists with the eggs being in a flying area.

Of course, a good group could steamroll WLK heroics even from the start.

I got my bronze drake soon after I dinged 80 with a premade group decked in greens and a blue here and there. And I also got the Sartharion 25 first kill of the server on a pug (ally on a horde sided server), shit was easy back then.

Shahadan

I resubbed earlier this week and went into the bottomless pits that are pet hunting/training and leveling a chaman with enchant/engineering. Welp.
I'm already dead.

Timeless Isle is awesome though. I hope WoD is heavily based on something like that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Timeless Isle is awesome though. I hope WoD is heavily based on something like that.

They have stated that as their intention, at least. Very few dailies, more Timeless Isle-style stuff. Although I wouldn't expect anywhere near the same level of loot acquisition as timeless isle, as that is specifically a late expansion catch-up mechanic.

mclem

They have stated that as their intention, at least. Very few dailies, more Timeless Isle-style stuff. Although I wouldn't expect anywhere near the same level of loot acquisition as timeless isle, as that is specifically a late expansion catch-up mechanic.

One thing that bothers me is that TI mechanics are *heavily* weighted towards DPS; quests are often a bit more open because the goal is generally more nuanced than 'kill this mob' (even if it's "kill multiple mobs", at least tanks can approach that in a tanky way by pulling a lot at once). I do hope they're not going to design it with the expectation that players will only attempt this content as DPS.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
One thing that bothers me is that TI mechanics are *heavily* weighted towards DPS; quests are often a bit more open because the goal is generally more nuanced than 'kill this mob' (even if it's "kill multiple mobs", at least tanks can approach that in a tanky way by pulling a lot at once). I do hope they're not going to design it with the expectation that players will only attempt this content as DPS.

How is that different from how it's always been? Solo/quest stuff has always been a DPS game, tanks being good at it is a relatively recent development. Healer specs are always going to be the worst at doing damage to stuff, and doing damage to stuff is how like 99% of solo content functions.

mclem

How is that different from how it's always been? Solo/quest stuff has always been a DPS game, tanks being good at it is a relatively recent development. Healer specs are always going to be the worst at doing damage to stuff, and doing damage to stuff is how like 99% of solo content functions.
Tanks being good at DPS is a relatively recent development. Tanks being able to approach quest content in a different way to DPS due to being tanks has been the case since I started tanking properly in TBC at least.

That said, a nice solution for healers would be good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tanks being good at DPS is a relatively recent development. Tanks being able to approach quest content in a different way to DPS due to being tanks has been the case since I started tanking properly in TBC at least.

That said, a nice solution for healers would be good.

There's an easy solution for healers : switch to DPS or tank. I really doubt that with dual specs, not a single healer has a DPS or tank spec that they can use for quests/dailies/farming/soloing raids. Their job is to heal, if they could do decent DPS on top of that, everybody would be doing content in their healer spec.

Anoregon

There's an easy solution for healers : switch to DPS or tank. I really doubt that with dual specs, not a single healer has a DPS or tank spec that they can use for quests/dailies/farming/soloing raids. Their job is to heal, if they could do decent DPS on top of that, everybody would be doing content in their healer spec.

Yeah, that's part of why gearing across healer/caster dps specs is essentially identical, with spirit converting to hit for all applicable classes. The intent is that you just swap over to a dps spec when doing dps-focused content, which is what solo/quest stuff is.

So, as someone who is pretty new to this, what are the good professions for my first char (a level 33 Draenei Enhancement Shaman)?

Go for complementary professions where you're not starved for materials. Herbalism/Alchemy or Skinning/Leathercrafting are good combos for your first character. The only rough spots will be the cataclysm materials since you don't spend much time from 80-85 in cata zones anymore.

mclem

Yeah, that's part of why gearing across healer/caster dps specs is essentially identical, with spirit converting to hit for all applicable classes. The intent is that you just swap over to a dps spec when doing dps-focused content, which is what solo/quest stuff is.

The problem then is that you have to learn a radically different skillset. Heck, I don't think I'm a good enough *tank* yet, without having to insert a new skillset into my range :)

I should emphasise: I don't really see this as a problem with a clear solution, I'm more simply highlighting that it *is* a problem. The rigid nature of quests does actually, I'd argue, make it easier for tanks and healers to complete them on a regular basis than the TI content does.

Anoregon

The problem then is that you have to learn a radically different skillset. Heck, I don't think I'm a good enough *tank* yet, without having to insert a new skillset into my range :)

I should emphasise: I don't really see this as a problem with a clear solution, I'm more simply highlighting that it *is* a problem.

Just do what the far right tab of the spellbook tells you. It's solo questing, not heroic raiding. You'll be fine.

TimeKillr

So we started doing Thok last night... If it wasn't for our Rogue, we would've killed it - we had an attempt where duing the 2nd P2 he ran the wrong way. Thok was at 12% during that phase too, so we would've been good during the fire P1. :(

Otherwise it's not an especially hard boss fight, but we're solo tanking it (a Warrior is doing the tanking). My only concern is I'm wondering if he should regem to full stamina to ensure he has enough HP to deal with the longer P1 and make healing less difficult? His HP isn't low, but it's nowhere near mine (I'm at almost 1.1mil when I'm tanking, he's more around 800k, but he has better mitigation against the shit there).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think the perception is that its DPS oriented because the TI mobs have a lot of health for open world mobs.

My priest is disc/holy, although Disc ain't that bad at solo-content.

Bisnic

Come on now, if i can play a ret paladin, a frost mage, an arm warrior, an enhancement shaman, a beastmaster hunter and a feral druid and do quest stuff with them easily, it shouldn't too much to ask for someone to learn the basics of how to play the DPS spec of their main. It's not rocket sciene to play a DPS spec for doing quests. You don't need to follow a perfect rotation of spells or read some strategy on a website if its simply for questing, farming or soloing old content. Just put your DPS spells on your action bar, read their description a little and press whatever is not on cooldown and you'll do a good enough job.

Jag

Go for complementary professions where you're not starved for materials. Herbalism/Alchemy or Skinning/Leathercrafting are good combos for your first character. The only rough spots will be the cataclysm materials since you don't spend much time from 80-85 in cata zones anymore.

Those are good for Shammy or you could just choose 2 gathering professions (herb and mining really). The upside is bonus XP from gathering and gold from selling materials. I've lost track how many times I've dinged levels by picking a flower.

You can always go back and level a crafting profession using the mats you collected. Your not going to make any money selling the crafted materials, but you will make some selling the mats.

vocab

If you have problem doing solo content as a blood dk or brewmaster.....you need to learn how to play your class. Also, if you are complaining its slow, get a dps spec. You'll die much quicker though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you have problem doing solo content as a blood dk or brewmaster.....you need to learn how to play your class. Also, if you are complaining its slow, get a dps spec. You'll die much quicker though.

Doing TI as Brewmaster takes a lot longer unless you pull a fuckload of mobs, which is frequently hard if there's anyone around.

Mothman91

So how bad is SoO in lfr? I got the appropriate ilvl and got into a group. Man oh man, so much dick wagging and people complaining. Tank just pulled the first boss without giving no fucks about doing a ready check and some people were still walking back after dieing. After a wipe, I just left hopefully to find a better group tonight.

Can I play timeless isle with a friend from another server? He's thinking of coming back to the game but he's on a different server than me.

Anoregon

Can I play timeless isle with a friend from another server? He's thinking of coming back to the game but he's on a different server than me.

Yeah, if you invite him to your group he will essentially be ported to your server (or vice versa)

Magnus

The fucking soundtrack to this game is some kind of incredible behemoth. The greatest soundtrack to any game in existence as far as I'm concerned, if you build the collaborative efforts of the last 9 years into one package. So varied, so incredible, so resonant and so catchy. I find myself humming everything from Pandaria even in the months when I'm off the game.

It's just nuts....do we have a thread dedicated to the WoW scores over the years?

And are there ways of officially/legally obtaining the full soundtrack to the game (that is, everything from each expansion release - not just what they put on the LE soundtrack discs - as well as all the stuff added via patches between expansions)?

The number of tracks must number in the....several hundreds? Like, maybe even 300+?

I'm in love with it.

MoP's OST on full playback right now - man, the second half of August Celestials....

Rokam

So how bad is SoO in lfr? I got the appropriate ilvl and got into a group. Man oh man, so much dick wagging and people complaining. Tank just pulled the first boss without giving no fucks about doing a ready check and some people were still walking back after dieing. After a wipe, I just left hopefully to find a better group tonight.

It really varies, Tuesday is when you'll typically find the best groups, early afternoon in particular.

McNei1y

The fucking soundtrack to this game is some kind of incredible behemoth. The greatest soundtrack to any game in existence as far as I'm concerned, if you build the collaborative efforts of the last 9 years into one package. So varied, so incredible, so resonant and so catchy. I find myself humming everything from Pandaria even in the months when I'm off the game.

It's just nuts....do we have a thread dedicated to the WoW scores over the years?

And are there ways of officially/legally obtaining the full soundtrack to the game (that is, everything from each expansion release - not just what they put on the LE soundtrack discs - as well as all the stuff added via patches between expansions)?

The number of tracks must number in the....several hundreds? Like, maybe even 300+?

I'm in love with it.

MoP's OST on full playback right now - man, the second half of August Celestials....

I feel bad. I had the music muted for most of MoP because I was in ventrilo and listening to Pandora most of the time. I missed a lot of the zones music.

Some of my favorite songs over the years are The Barrens (now Org), Howling Fjords music, and the LBRS/WC/vanilla dungeon music.

Jag

I feel bad. I had the music muted for most of MoP because I was in ventrilo and listening to Pandora most of the time. I missed a lot of the zones music.

Yeah, I've played this game since release and I probably don't know any of the music. Usually play with it down or muted.

Bisnic

You guys are missing so much, you have no idea. Recently, i really like the music on the Timeless Isle. Especially the first one that always play when i log or teleport there.

You guys are missing so much, you have no idea. Recently, i really like the music on the Timeless Isle. Especially the first one that always play when i log or teleport there.

I turn all the sounds down out of necessity because people have the worst mic settings when I join vent and I get sick of manually turning up the volume on new people during oqueue runs.

Fjordson

Some of my favorite songs over the years are The Barrens (now Org), Howling Fjords music, and the LBRS/WC/vanilla dungeon music.
Yeah, I play the game muted as well so I can listen to music or podcasts. And Mumble/Vent if I'm raiding.

But for the first month or so of every expansion I play with the sound on, like when I'm leveling. And I have all of the iTunes releases for WoW. Lots of great music over the years in WoW for sure.

I think Vanilla still has a lot of my favourite songs. The original Ironforge and Stormwind tracks, Elwynn, Duskwood. Lots of good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom