• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey a few questions

Just getting back into this from not playing in ages

1. How different to other things is the monk playstyle? It feels like just a slightly different rogue. I guess it's cool that it can tank?

2. Are Warlocks still good and if I'm not playing seriously can I level as one through dungeons and stuff? IMPORTANTLY ARE THEY FUN. I thought they seemed fun back in the days they launched those explosion seeds and dotting everything that moved

3. Why is my FPS not bad logging into old characters in the middle of org (40fps with literally everything on ultra) and 10fps in panda land? I changed my settings down quite a bit and still got shit FPS in the panda start zone and just have no idea why. Tried it on the 64 bit and the normal client too

Corsick

If I were upgrade to the MoP expansion, would I get a free month included?

Edit: Nevermind, I read too fast when googling and it is for new accounts and battlechests only it appears. I was a bit confused before re reading.

I guess it would be best to sub for a month and not just buy the expansion then if I just want to see if it's worth coming back.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Zangarmarsh has replaced Charred Vale as my least favorite zone now that Charred Vale isn't full of mobs ganking me anymore

Zangarmarsh is SO slow and SO poorly paced out with its quest givers

vocab

Hey a few questions

Just getting back into this from not playing in ages

1. How different to other things is the monk playstyle? It feels like just a slightly different rogue. I guess it's cool that it can tank?

2. Are Warlocks still good and if I'm not playing seriously can I level as one through dungeons and stuff? IMPORTANTLY ARE THEY FUN. I thought they seemed fun back in the days they launched those explosion seeds and dotting everything that moved

3. Why is my FPS not bad logging into old characters in the middle of org (40fps with literally everything on ultra) and 10fps in panda land? I changed my settings down quite a bit and still got shit FPS in the panda start zone and just have no idea why. Tried it on the 64 bit and the normal client too

1. monks need to manage chi and energy. They play similar to rogues in how you dont want to get energy capped, but monks rotation is much easier imo. You can tank but it's much harder compared to Windwalker.

2. warlocks are broken as hell, and they re hauled them to make them fun. You can seriously pick any spec and just hit buttons and watch shit melt. Affliction does have the explosive seeds but I think its reworked or used different now. It's the spec I have zero exp with. If I played a lock it would be demo because destro is clunky to me.

3. Depends on the area. 10 fps is abnormally low outside a raid. Might be a driver issue.

Anyway, mistweavers definitely need some love next expansion. The overhealing in correlation with Renewing Mist is a major issue. Even at 100k + HPS. I just got my cloak today, and i'm overhealing with my redistributed overhealing. It's a fucking joke how much effort and work you gotta put into playing one at an efficient level compared to disc. Stupid powerful brain dead absorbs = skill.

Khezu

I think Zangarmarsh has replaced Charred Vale as my least favorite zone now that Charred Vale isn't full of mobs ganking me anymore

Man I loved doing Charred Vale.

I miss pre cata leveling from 1-60.

The music was ridiculously soothing though. I remember fishing to get my scroll case for tracking there and I probably had to fight off dozing about 3-4 times an hour.

I didn't find the quest pace to be all that plodding compared to hellfire peninsula. Lots of big quest hubs, some irritating group quests, mobs you were supposed to know to kill because they dropped quest-starting items. It was a common pattern throughout TBC questing zones.

Khezu

Hellfire Pen is probably the worst zone in all of WoW, I hate that place.

Ugly as sin, awkwardly constructed, bad quests, annoying mobs.

Flying at 60 made it slightly better I guess.

Shahadan

Hellfire Pen is probably the worst zone in all of WoW, I hate that place.

Ugly as sin, awkwardly constructed, bad quests, annoying mobs.

Flying at 60 made it slightly better I guess.

Shadowmoon Valley also says Hi. I generally hate ugly colors and one texture plastered all over the whole zone. Glad those things are gone. At least it had interesting lore quests.

SMV had some of the best group quests if you were lucky to get a group for them. Zuluhed, the Demon Hunters, the Netherwing unlock, the siege at that crystal. I really miss difficult group quests. In pandaria all we had was the group parts of the legendary quest and the summoned elites on Isle of Thunder. Bleah.

Shahadan

I was wondering yesterday if we'll see a return of those group quests in WoD. They seem serious about the "playing together is better" thing, unless they were only talking about dungeons and raids.
Their choice to make Heroic Scenarios only available to groups is probably there to gently prepare us for that. Getting groups for quests is often complicated though, so I won't hold my breath, but a few here and there would be cool. Just remove the group requirement once the last patch hits or a bit after and that's it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was wondering yesterday if we'll see a return of those group quests in WoD. They seem serious about the "playing together is better" thing, unless they were only talking about dungeons and raids.
Their choice to make Heroic Scenarios only available to groups is probably there to gently prepare us for that. Getting groups for quests is often complicated though, so I won't hold my breath, but a few here and there would be cool. Just remove the group requirement once the last patch hits or a bit after and that's it.

I think the 'if you tag it you get credit' mobs of Timeless are replacing group quests

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've never had a problem with leveling in WoW. It's a little tedious, but I usually enjoy it.

But oh my god do Outlands and Vash'jir take the wind out of my sails. It's just miserable. Absolutely miserable compared to Northrend or Pandaria or even the redone old world.

iirate

Funnily enough, Zangarmarsh is probably my favorite TBC zone. Some good nostalgia from the old Charred Vale, too.

Shahadan

I think the 'if you tag it you get credit' mobs of Timeless are replacing group quests

Probably, I just hope they'll do a bit of both. It's different fun, but it's probably easier for them to do as you said.

Btw currently (finally) leveling up a chaman. Was thinking about ditching my Disc Priest for WoD...9 years experiencing new content as a disc is starting to get on my nerves :lol:
With the removal of Hit I hope chams will get something allowing them to keep their spirit gear. I love healing, and leveling as Elemental is goddamn easy and efficient.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Hurgh, 20 wipes on Blackfuse tonight. It's so demoralizing. I love the guild I'm in, they are great people, but they just can't seem to get down the ground voidzone mechanics. I was regularly the last person alive, with the least damage taken which makes it very frustrating. The best we got them to was 30%.

Any tips? We've been killing the crawler mines and Electro Magnets when they come up. People seem to just be dying to the add's damage pulses, even though the tanks are putting it in the sawblades.

Rokam

I love the change to heirlooms and enchants. Got all heirlooms, fully enchanted... and earth shock kills everything due to Elemental Force enchant. 45% crit. Pew pew.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I respecd fury and am basically using shitty green weapons. I tried to go to Timeless, but I can't kill anything past the baby mobs. Should I just quest to get better items, try to LFG normal mode dungeons or what?

Shahadan

I guess you can try dungeons, but if I were you I'd just hit once a few rare mobs while people are beating them up and collect your coins and maybe stuff. Then open some chests from the nice Hozen ali baba. Oh and the random chests everywhere on the Isle too. I did that for my hunter, took a little over one hour to fill all slots (well except weapon of course)

I wish we could trade timeless items, I have enough warrior 496 parts to gear three alts.

Hurgh, 20 wipes on Blackfuse tonight. It's so demoralizing. I love the guild I'm in, they are great people, but they just can't seem to get down the ground voidzone mechanics. I was regularly the last person alive, with the least damage taken which makes it very frustrating. The best we got them to was 30%.

Any tips? We've been killing the crawler mines and Electro Magnets when they come up. People seem to just be dying to the add's damage pulses, even though the tanks are putting it in the sawblades.

Normal or HC?
Casters just have to stack in the middle: when one is targeted by the sawblade he has just to move behind the casters group. When one is targeted by the fire he just have to kite it in a parallel way to the assembly line behind the group. Melee + active tank + boss near the the pipe throught which you get into the assembly line. We never kill electromagnet, we only kill the Bombs or the Missile turret if there are not bombs. Just use a raid cd when the add starts to cast Overloads and be sure to nuke him after the Death from above when it is incapacitated Be sure that no one is hit by the death from above (15yd from add when he goes up to sky and come down). Tanking it in fire is better then in sawblades. Not an easy fight but it is less difficult then Thok.

mclem

There's two possibilities here; My gut says it's the latter.

* People are dying to add's damage pulses because they're taking too long to die - *there are too many pulses*.

It helped us a lot when we stopped tank-swapping on stacks of the debuff and instead swapped tanks on the moment the add appeared. Doing that ensured there were nice big stacks of Vengeance on the add tank which made a massive difference to when the add died. I can usually get mine down just after the death from above, and I'm not particularly good at damage output (I know there's tanks who can kill it before that)

* People are dying to add's damage pulses because *something else* gets them low then the pulses finish them off.

The biggest killer for us was actually the same mechanic as used in Protectors of the Endless... which was a big killer for us back then, too. The 'concentric circles of void zones' attack - lightning on PotE, and drills in Blackfuse. The trick we found, that I always reiterate to my guild when they're having difficulty with it: Stand on the outside of a circle, wait for it to hit, then move *into* the circle. That said, there's a lot of other mechanics to be aware of, so people do sometimes lose focus on that one and get caught out by it.

Hadn't played in a while. Got my Shaman up to 90. Timeless Isle is cool, I'm on a really busy server so whenever Huolon is up there are 30 people there, when Vezuvius is up there are like 50 people going at it, it's fun. Never did LFR before (or any raids for that matter), so going through LFR up until where I am now (thanks to a Burden of Eternity, I can now enter SoO) was alot of fun. Excited to go into SoO. So much to do right now. Legendary Cloak quest, getting my professions up (they're all sitting below 100), getting Loremaster, doing pet battles. I have a feeling I won't be bored before WoD :)

Ultratech

The biggest killer for us was actually the same mechanic as used in Protectors of the Endless... which was a big killer for us back then, too. The 'concentric circles of void zones' attack - lightning on PotE, and drills in Blackfuse. The trick we found, that I always reiterate to my guild when they're having difficulty with it: Stand on the outside of a circle, wait for it to hit, then move *into* the circle. That said, there's a lot of other mechanics to be aware of, so people do sometimes lose focus on that one and get caught out by it.

Yup, the drills kinda threw me for a loop the first time I dealt with them.

But that's the trick I've used to avoid the damage from them.

Group quests were fun, I always enjoyed that elite troll place in the hinterlands.

Oh yeah, I remember that place. Jintha'Alor?

Spent like a few hours one day trying to get a group together for that so I could complete those quests there and get the Mallet of Zul'Farrak. (Which I still have in my Bank!)

Place was basically a outside dungeon of sorts.

Shahadan

Ghostcrawler:

We really want to get to a cadence where we can release expansions more quickly. Once a year I think would be a good rate. I think the best thing we can do for new players is to keep coming out with regular content updates.

Like clockwork :lol:
Do they even remember they say that every year?

Mothman91

Did the first 3 wings in SoO last night except the first one from the 3rd wing. Some very interesting fights, definitely Thok. While some others are very bland...(Nazgrim(?)). How's the down rate on the last wing? Do people even do it or they don't bother with it? Either I do that or start gearing my Paladin with a friend and raid with him.

Kraftwerk

WOOOOOOOT!

Semi-related:

I was about to build a gaming rig to play wow more smoothly in the next week or so, and I just got an e-mail that I won an Alienware PC from a giveaway I entered a while ago. Its worth $2000 I believe.

OMG!! So happy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
WOOOOOOOT!

Semi-relate :

I was about to build a gaming rig to play wow more smoothly in the next week or so, and Ij ust got an e-mail that I won an Alienware PC from a giveaway I enter a while ago. Its worth $2000 I believe.

OMG!! So happy.

awesome yo!

Loxley

What MMORPG comes 2nd to WoW and would probably take over if WoW were to die?

At this point I get the impression that as far population spread goes, it's pretty much WoW and then everything else (with the exception of those F2P Korean MMO's that have 20 million active players or some absurd number).

I don't think there's a clear-cut 2nd place MMO anymore simply because they've all gone F2P. If WoW were to drop off the face of the earth tomorrow, I don't get the impression at all that there's one game everyone would flock to. It would be pretty evenly spread about between the likes of GW2, Tera, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO, etc.

zeemumu

At this point I get the impression that as far population spread goes, it's pretty much WoW and the everything else.

I don't think there's a clear-cut 2nd place MMO anymore simply because they've all gone F2P. If WoW were to drop off the face of the earth tomorrow, I don't get the impression at all that there's one game everyone would flock to. It would be pretty evenly spread about between the likes of GW2, Tera, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO, etc.

There would be a power vacuum if WoW were to fall, then?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really want to take advantage of the recruit a friend bonuses, but I have no friends who want to play this game who aren't already playing it.

I started Siege of Orgrimmar last night on my Priest. Really cool raid so far. The shamans bugged on us twice, though. They just... vanished. Once right after they first appeared and once exactly halfway through the fight. Then they appeared again right away. So we actually took down 150% of their health, haha.

notworksafe

Goddamn leveling is fast now. Almost 89 and just got to the Wilds. When I hit 90 should I head right to Timeless Isle or keep questing for the sweet golds?

Or both? :eek:

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Use fire, unless your tanks are REALLY geared.
When someone gets targeted by fire, have him move to the add being tanked.

Salamando

Here's how my guild does it...

At the start, the first three sawblades are clumped together as tight as possible. That triangle is where the add is tanked, always. Whenever the add does it's "Death from above" thing, range DPS switches to it for the extra bit of DPS. That combination is usually enough to kill it.

Since we rely on Sawblades for much of the add DPS, we always kill Electromagnets, even over Mines.

RPGCrazied

So I'm lfring on my newly level 90 hunter, thanks to the timeless isle. I forget, but what is the easiest way to get elder charms? I guess the thunder isle is it?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Awww yeah, Sky Golems finally under 30k on my main server. I am now a jet fighter pilot.

Tamanon

Banned
So I'm lfring on my newly level 90 hunter, thanks to the timeless isle. I forget, but what is the easiest way to get elder charms? I guess the thunder isle is it?

Yup, go get a treasure scenario key from one of the golden chests nobody uses any more, will fill you up in one go.

RPGCrazied

Yup, go get a treasure scenario key from one of the golden chests nobody uses any more, will fill you up in one go.

I couldn't find one, and I was all over it yesterday. :( Also saw a red direhorn, tired to tame it but forgot you needed a stupid training book.

Ultratech

I couldn't find one, and I was all over it yesterday. :( Also saw a red direhorn, tired to tame it but forgot you needed a stupid training book.

Kill one of the Rares on the Isle of Thunder.

They tend to drop Keys at a pretty good rate.
(Of course, that's only good for your first Key; after you get one for the week, the chances of another one popping up are pretty slim.)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There would be a power vacuum if WoW were to fall, then?

You would see the market crash entirely before you see a true replacement. If wow fell most I'd the players would probably quit the genre entirely.

All of the other mmos are sort of just distractions for wow until an expansion comes out and then everyone goes back to it, quits in a couple months and the. Resumes playing the secondary mmos.

The reason why they want to do a yearly expansion is to capitalize on that aspect. Obviously not everyone "goes back to wow" but its obvious what the pattern is at this point.

McNei1y

Dammit. Nostalgia goes a long way... I just listened to an album that I haven't heard in 5 years and all of a sudden it brought back wow memories. I listened to this album (it's a mix cd) almost all of BC/early WOTLK.... I'm re-subbing soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom