• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

So regarding WoD. I think it might be the best expansion since Wrath of the Lich King.

Can't wait to meet all dem Orc dudes.

Especially Gul'dan, he was the reason I rolled a Warlock in the first place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm excited for more wolf mounts. My Orc DK looks silly on a horse.

Speaking of which, going through the DK quest chain again and seeing the 'instant 90' feature of WoD made me realize just how silly the DK setup is. You spend all this time learning this character, meeting these antagonists who would go from ally to enemy. It sets you up for a revenge tale that you need to fuck this Lich King guy up for betraying you(even though I think that could have been told better.) and then it just says 'Ehhh... Go do pointless quests in Outlands with characters you'll never encounter again and forget about all these former allies for 10 levels.' I guess people would have complained, but they really should have jumped Death Knights straight to 70. And if people were worried about 'newbs' or whatever abusing that then just make the DK quest chain start at 55 but go all the way through to 70. Building up the idea that you belong to this army, having more stuff with Arthas in your head, displaying what your vile intent was to be that way the betrayal feels more impactful.

Also, I really miss class specific quests. I guess some are still in, but a lot of it was destroyed to 'streamline' the game more. While there's a lot of content that I completely understand them doing that, because who wants to run that crap again. But there was something special about going to Dire Maul to get your Dreadsteed. Climbing the mountains in Durotar to get your fire totem. Made it more exciting. Or killing Anzu for your flight form. While I completely agree with them fixing it so you don't have to get a new spell every 2 levels and the general progression of that is a lot better, they really should have added some new class quests. Like, how the hell was the Grimoire of Supremacy NOT an epic quest? Or some quest explaining your origin or why you followed Arthas to get the flying DK mount instead of 'eh you just buy it'

strafer

I'm excited for more wolf mounts. My Orc DK looks silly on a horse.

Speaking of which, going through the DK quest chain again and seeing the 'instant 90' feature of WoD made me realize just how silly the DK setup is. You spend all this time learning this character, meeting these antagonists who would go from ally to enemy. It sets you up for a revenge tale that you need to fuck this Lich King guy up for betraying you(even though I think that could have been told better.) and then it just says 'Ehhh... Go do pointless quests in Outlands with characters you'll never encounter again and forget about all these former allies for 10 levels.' I guess people would have complained, but they really should have jumped Death Knights straight to 70. And if people were worried about 'newbs' or whatever abusing that then just make the DK quest chain start at 55 but go all the way through to 70. Building up the idea that you belong to this army, having more stuff with Arthas in your head, displaying what your vile intent was to be that way the betrayal feels more impactful.

Also, I really miss class specific quests. I guess some are still in, but a lot of it was destroyed to 'streamline' the game more. While there's a lot of content that I completely understand them doing that, because who wants to run that crap again. But there was something special about going to Dire Maul to get your Dreadsteed. Climbing the mountains in Durotar to get your fire totem. Made it more exciting. Or killing Anzu for your flight form. While I completely agree with them fixing it so you don't have to get a new spell every 2 levels and the general progression of that is a lot better, they really should have added some new class quests. Like, how the hell was the Grimoire of Supremacy NOT an epic quest? Or some quest explaining your origin or why you followed Arthas to get the flying DK mount instead of 'eh you just buy it'

dat Shaman Water Totem quest

Tacitus_

dat Shaman Water Totem quest

KYTVQu8.gif

Most of the class quests sucked ass. Though I think the blame lies on them being done during leveling and having to do more content hopping than max level quests. The water form quests for horde druids was awful... and the demon quests for warlocks. I remember trekking down to Wetlands to get one of my demons. Too bad Arathi Highlands had mobs that were skull level to me during this little trek. Joy joy joy.

JCizzle

WOOOOOOOT!

Semi-related:

I was about to build a gaming rig to play wow more smoothly in the next week or so, and I just got an e-mail that I won an Alienware PC from a giveaway I entered a while ago. Its worth $2000 I believe.

OMG!! So happy.

Holy shit, congrats!!!

Ultratech

The only class quest I regret not doing.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=7631/

:(

I regret doing this quest:
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=8153

It was terrible and you had to do it to get a really good trinket at the time for a Hunter.
Drop rate on those things was absolutely awful.

Feral druid is the least fun I've had leveling, ever. It's worse than when I leveled my shaman to 80 as enhance.

Agreed. I had a Guardian Druid with a Feral off-spec.

Every time I went Feral, I never could get into it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I found all druid trees TERRIBLE in the early going pre-WOTLK

Feral? Oh great, I just wrath spam til 10 then I get BEAR form which is slow as fuck damage
Balance? Wrath spam and constantly healing myself until Boomkin unlocks. That said? I freaking loved my Boomkin. Tempted to make that my WoD 90

ampere

My server needs to get merged soon, I want to level a new alt with heirlooms, but I already have 11 characters on my main realm

There would be a power vacuum if WoW were to fall, then?

I think a lot of players would just switch to different genres, games like Dota 2, LoL, and the new Hearthstone, etc

InSpectre

Oh and I can't believe the amount of QQ on MMOC regarding the no flying on Draenor.

Fucking silly.

I for one am glad for no flying. I always thought it took too much away from the game more than it added. I guess Blizz sees it that way too. I love, love flying though. It's a double-edged sword I guess.

efeman

Banned
I played MoP for a month. And I'll probably do the same thing to WoD just to see how the game evolves.

All I want is for them to bring stance dancing back to warriors. That set players apart, and I was damn good at it when I still played. It was so fun too! And made the class more challenging to play.

notworksafe

I played MoP for a month. And I'll probably do the same thing to WoD just to see how the game evolves.

All I want is for them to bring stance dancing back to warriors. That set players apart, and I was damn good at it when I still played. It was so fun too! And made the class more challenging to play.

That's why it will never return

Warriors Joe are just... Weird. My warrior was my first character and he languished at 80 for a long long time. It just wasn't fun. They're a lot better now but they feel more complicated in fury than fun like in vanilla. I main tanked in vanilla. Did some raiding in bc, and that was about it. I really dislike that fury is built entirely around colossus smash. It feels just as gimmicky as the stance dance.

Rokam

I'm still unclear as to why people don't want flying at max level. I could see why on a balanced pvp server, but that's about it. All it does is increase the time it takes to do shit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm still unclear as to why people don't want flying at max level. I could see why on a balanced pvp server, but that's about it. All it does is increase the time it takes to do shit.

Not really. Blizzard has to artificially make the world seem bigger so that flying mounts are more convenient.

At best, all you do is avoid mobs. :\

strafer

Back to Kara? :O

Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup

You might have noticed the addition of a new phase, "Karazhan Restoration" in the latest PTR build. It is unclear what that phase will be used for, but the regular version of Karazhan has seen some cleanup in 5.4.2. Most of the spiderwebs, skeletons, and overturned chairs have been removed. All other signs of abandonment and age remain untouched.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ue-Tweets-Setup-of-the-Month-Blizzcon-Cosplay

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Heh, found the recipe for Savory Deviate Delight while I was farming for dem booty shorts for my bank alt. Wonder if it's still worth anything

CassSept

Oooh, interesting. Is it possible they made a mistake and uploaded new phased Kara as old Kara?

Regardless, as tiresome as Karazhan was (I SO SO SO hated it) it was a great raid with some interesting bosses, great music and AMAZING design.

Edit: Ouch, I'm either overinterpreting it or this doesn't sound too good. From the tweets
"That's odd. Feels like we are farther along for WoD than we were for MoP."

"Feels" doesn't instill much confidence. By now they should 100% know they're farther ahead, this thing should launch at latest in half a year.

RPGCrazied

Woot, didn't think I could solo those guys on a fresh 90, but I did. Took like an hour though. Now I just need red armor for the full effect.

dq9r.jpg

Fjordson

Woot, didn't think I could solo those guys on a fresh 90, but I did. Took like an hour though. Now I just need red armor for the full effect.

dq9r.jpg
Grats man! The direhorns look bad ass, tamed a blue one myself.

I just wish they were a little more useful. Their special ability is kinda lame.

efeman

Banned
That's why it will never return

You're right :(

Warriors Joe are just... Weird. My warrior was my first character and he languished at 80 for a long long time. It just wasn't fun. They're a lot better now but they feel more complicated in fury than fun like in vanilla. I main tanked in vanilla. Did some raiding in bc, and that was about it. I really dislike that fury is built entirely around colossus smash. It feels just as gimmicky as the stance dance.

I think I'm missing something there, seems contradictory.

I tanked a bunch throughout my warrior's lifetime. Vanilla and BC sucked for that, sure; but when they switched to the damage tanking model, man did it suddenly become super fun. I remember I had enough raiding gear at the end of BC that when WLK came around, I was tearing through the 5mans as I leveled, just gathering up a big pack and AoEing.. as a warrior!

I think stance dancing was really an important part of the class though, at least for PvP (since PvE is mindless anyway). It gave us something unique, rather than mindlessness. Having to make decisions on whether you could drop your rage to swap and intercept, if you needed to hold off to make sure you could pop a reflect, etc. Now even having a cooldown on stance swaps, a single hotbar across all three, made it seem to me, in the short time I played after those changes, that the class was a lot less... dynamic? Maybe not the best word, maybe just that it was much more shallow.

Dawg

Leveling my orc warrior is a lot of fun. Running around Victory Rushing mob after mob, using mortal strike every now and then.

feelsgoodman

Corsick

How important is it to play on a server in your own timezone now with the raid finder and such? It seems there's so much there to keep things populated at all times that playing on one a couple hours ahead of you might not be an issue? Just curious since I've been away from the game for so long.

Kenai

How important is it to play on a server in your own timezone now with the raid finder and such? It seems there's so much there to keep things populated at all times that playing on one a couple hours ahead of you might not be an issue? Just curious since I've been away from the game for so long.

Raid Finder opens slower than the normal mode and stuff if you are interested in higher than Raid Finder, and if you aren't on a super busy server it might be empty when you play if you want to group up for stuff.

Corsick

Raid Finder opens slower than the normal mode and stuff if you are interested in higher than Raid Finder, and if you aren't on a super busy server it might be empty when you play if you want to group up for stuff.

What do you mean by "slower than normal mode." I'm incredibly out of the loop, stopped playing midway through TBC. Thanks for the response.

I brought my arms warrior out of retirement today, realm and faction transferred him and spent about four hours getting his item level up to 530 (from below 400). I really can't get my head around the arms rotation though. It's the first time I've ever had trouble grasping the basics of a rotation on any class or spec.

Kraftwerk

I brought my arms warrior out of retirement today, realm and faction transferred him and spent about four hours getting his item level up to 530 (from below 400). I really can't get my head around the arms rotation though. It's the first time I've ever had trouble grasping the basics of a rotation on any class or spec.

It involves the fine art of proc dancing.

;p dunno if it is still like that, I used to play arms in wotlk and cata.

Shahadan

Ugh I hate Cataclysm zones. Questing is a bore, especially if you have done it with a few alts already. You can't skip shit, it's always the same journey over and over again.

Uldum is the only thing I love.

If you think about it there is a cycle of bad expansions. Unfortunately WoD falls in the bad position of the cycle ;(

zulfate

i just finished watching some of blizzcons WOW panels and i think people aren't realizing how much of a change this is going to be.

Ugh I hate Cataclysm zones. Questing is a bore, especially if you have done it with a few alts already. You can't skip shit, it's always the same journey over and over again.

If you think about it there is a cycle of bad expansions. Unfortunately WoD falls in the bad position of the cycle ;(

a cycle of bad expansions? Cataclysm and what else?

Shahadan

a cycle of bad expansions? Cataclysm and what else?

BC. Nostalgia aside, it was an ugly, tedious, and grindy mess. Draenei and Blood Elves were handled poorly, storylines in general were underwhelming, gated heroics took forever to get access to, dungeons and raids were overcrowded messes of trash mobs, and some had a very confusing layout. Zones sucked.
If released today it would be laughed at.
That said I agree even vanilla has aged poorly but that content is mostly gone.

You've played WoD already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom