• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Yes. I pretty much intentionally went on a insult-spree yesterday; during the Galleon camp, in my BGs (this comes naturally anyway) and during LFR. I'm expecting one very soon. And thank fuck for that.

If it was all just insults, the worst you'd get is probably a 72 hour ban. And that's in the most extreme case. You have to do a HELL of a lot more to get anything worse. >_>;

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If it was all just insults, the worst you'd get is probably a 72 hour ban. You have to do a HELL of a lot more to get anything worse. >_>;
You would know about that, mm?! Big meany Sophia! :_:

Sophia

You would know about that, mm?! Big meany Sophia! :_:

Worst I've ever gotten was a warning once back in BC. However I have a real life individual who is far more crude than anyone on WoWGAF, and he never got more than a 72 hour ban despite repeated offenses.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Worst I've ever gotten was a warning once back in BC. However I have a real life individual who is far more crude than anyone on GAF, and he never got more than a 72 hour ban despite repeated offenses.
:( I guess Blizzard likes their costumers. Do you get warnings or is it ban immediately?

edit: N/m, not fully awake yet :3

See, even bans are rng in WoW.

Funny story. In the past 48 hours I've been hitting up the official forums and MMO champion forums calling daily-justifiers out for the worthless wastes of carbon that they are.

The only reaction I've gotten is a 5pt infraction from MMOC for reporting some throwaway comment making smartass as a completely fucking worthless poster.

Tarazet

Ilv 476 on my Feral Druid. I feel like it has finally clicked... the vagaries of the spec were really killing me at first but I've come around to it, and my raid awareness is improving as well as I get better at playing. But I still haven't set foot in a normal mode raid.

Pulling around 52k on LFR bosses with a 463 polearm (damn you Spirit Kings!).

Tarazet

Welcome to the life of Savage Roar, Tarazet. :p

Savage Roar is fine. If that was the only complexity to the spec, it would just be a Ret Paladin with stealth. It's juggling Savage Roar, Rip, and Ferocious Bite that gets crazy, plus finding the right moment to use Tiger's Roar for the energy refund. From what I've read, it plays exactly like a Subtlety Rogue, except that Ferocious Bite can use an extra 25 energy to double its damage, and the Druid has to weave in a heal for Dream of Cenarius procs at just the right time. But the Druid also doesn't have some of the Rogue's neat toys like Redirect, Vanish, or Premeditation.

That last raid taught me how powerful Soul of the Forest is.. it returned almost as much energy to me as Tiger's Roar. 20 Energy for a 5-point finisher is no small potatoes.

Yoshichan

As a resto druid who's just now getting into casual BGs, what should I be gemming/enchanting my gear with? Are the resilience enchants (if so, good idea or not?). Should I gem with resilience/stam?

Is a (example) 458 PvP chest better than a 489 PvE chest?

Sophia

I haven't really got into Resto PvP yet for Pandaria (my set's not gemmed) but I'd think you would want Resilience/Intellect (Willful) or Resillience/PvP Power (Wild) gems based upon socket bonus. The idea being to be able to survive if you get focused down, HoTs powerful enough to buffer you during CC, and heals powerful enough if someone ELSE gets focused down.

As for the chest, it'd depend on the secondary stats, gem sockets, and how big the intellect difference is. A 489 PvE chest with sockets, Crit, and Mastery would win out but one with haste and/or no gem sockets maybe not.

That last raid taught me how powerful Soul of the Forest is.. it returned almost as much energy to me as Tiger's Roar. 20 Energy for a 5-point finisher is no small potatoes.

Yeah with all the low secondary values, Soul of the Forest is godlike for Ferals.

Yoshichan

I haven't really got into Resto PvP yet for Pandaria (my set's not gemmed) but I'd think you would want Resilience/Intellect (Willful) or Resillience/PvP Power (Wild) gems based upon socket bonus. The idea being to be able to survive if you get focused down, HoTs powerful enough to buffer you during CC, and heals powerful enough if someone ELSE gets focused down.

As for the chest, it'd depend on the secondary stats, gem sockets, and how big the intellect difference is. A 489 PvE chest with sockets, Crit, and Mastery would win out but one with haste and/or no gem sockets maybe not.
Shit, this is turning out more complicated than I want it to be (but I'm enjoying it! A little variation from the regular crap I do on WoW). Well then, let the Theorycrafting begin~

Sophia

Shit, this is turning out more complicated than I want it to be (but I'm enjoying it! A little variation from the regular crap I do on WoW). Well then, let the Theorycrafting begin~

I haven't really considered the value of Stamina in it all. But in all the casual BGs I've done, the moment they realize you're a healer or you pop Incarnation, you're going to be their target and they're gonna go all Terminator on you and not stop until you're dead. Good thing most casual BG are awful about CC usage. >_>;

As a resto druid who's just now getting into casual BGs, what should I be gemming/enchanting my gear with? Are the resilience enchants (if so, good idea or not?). Should I gem with resilience/stam?

Is a (example) 458 PvP chest better than a 489 PvE chest?

PVP gear has pvp power and resil, so yeah you'll get wrecked faster wearing PVE no matter what ivl it is.

Its definitely noticeable this xpac

Sophia

I think he's talking one individual PvE piece tho, not really an entire set. Obviously you'd want a mostly full set of PvP gear.

edit: Sophia, I mentioned one individual piece, but I was also wondering about whole sets as well! I got my answers though :3

Ahh, yeah. In that case you definitely want a mostly-whole set. You'd only really use PvE gear when it's perfectly itemized (Gem sockets, Crit, Mastery) and better item level PvP gear isn't available. Or whenever a trinket from PvE proves to be OP for PvE like the Agility one from DS was. XD

Yoshichan

Thanks guys!

edit: Sophia, I mentioned one individual piece, but I was also wondering about whole sets as well! I got my answers though :3

Sarcasm

So I totally toned down on dailies. I don't even plant things anymore. Might not seem like it but this is my routine:

• Golden Lotus (2K away from E)
  • Halfhill: I do the gift one and the one that gives cooking award (I am exhalted with Tillers)
  • August
  • Anglers

Now should I start the other, which I think is 2??

• Klaxxi
  • Shado-pan

I also want to get that fire bird mount from firelands dailies and I also haven't started the cooking stuff in halfhill..so many things to do and I don't honestly know what I am looking for in this post..maybe recommendations?

mclem

Ilv 476 on my Feral Druid. I feel like it has finally clicked... the vagaries of the spec were really killing me at first but I've come around to it, and my raid awareness is improving as well as I get better at playing. But I still haven't set foot in a normal mode raid.
What the hell? Have you just been really, really lucky in LFR? I've done LFR each time it's up, Sha each week (no Galleon because HAH.), *plus* normal mode raids and I'm only on... maybe 468?

Also: Yay, Terrible Turnip IS MINE! On the other hand, Elegon is *brutal*. On our very best go we just about got back onto the platform after the pillar phase but were swamped with adds.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I got my Darkmoon Serpent Deck ready and waiting for Darkmoon to begin. That caster trinket looks soooo godlike.

Okay. hit 90. Ran a few heroics. What do I do now?

I found trying to figure out how to get flying completely disjointed any progression I was having and sucked me COMPLETELY out of the game. I got to that hub, and got lost. There's too much.

What should I start with? I'm a DK, btw.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I found trying to figure out how to get flying completely disjointed any progression I was having and sucked me COMPLETELY out of the game. I got to that hub, and got lost. There's too much.

You do dailies, farm, and heroics.

Sarcasm

Dailies! Main ones you can do right now is Golden Lotus and Klaxxi. Golden Lotus needs to be revered to open two more main reps (August Cestrial and Shado-Pan). Than the fun reps are Tillers, Anglers and Cloud Serpents. Than you got heroics.

Also add me on realid Sarcasm#1161.

Sophia

Depending on your professions, Tillers is a good idea to do as well. Nothing like coming to a farm with six golden lotuses herbs on it. ;D

Ultratech

Woo, got my DK some major upgrades yesterday. Downed Sha of Anger and got Tier pants and got the Epic boots for turning in the Claw quest.

Then later on, I got the Horseman's Helm finally, so that was cool. Still a bit gimped on gear though...(probably need to grab some Ghost Iron and get some stuff made).

So.. these areas are instanced? Or are there Scenarios here too?

From what I've gathered, it's a faction-specific scenario.
(Or basically, there's 2 versions of it based on your faction.)

Dailies! Main ones you can do right now is Golden Lotus and Klaxxi. Golden Lotus needs to be revered to open two more main reps (August Cestrial and Shado-Pan).

Than the fun reps are Tillers, Anglers and Cloud Serpents. Than you got heroics.

Yup. If you do all Dread Wastes quests, that should put you at Honored with Klaxxi. (If you're a BS, they have lots of plans/recipes for you at Honored!)

And of course, you have to do Golden Lotus to unlock the other factions.

Farm is pretty useful for cooking and getting profession mats later on.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Elegon is easily the hardest fight in the instance. Not looking forward to heroic version at all!

We only did about 5 or so pulls on Will but we were able to get it down to 51 percent. Just from that, it really did seem away easier than Elegon.

Dailies! Main ones you can do right now is Golden Lotus and Klaxxi. Golden Lotus needs to be revered to open two more main reps (August Cestrial and Shado-Pan). Than the fun reps are Tillers, Anglers and Cloud Serpents. Than you got heroics.

Also add me on realid Sarcasm#1161.

So start Golden Lotus and Klaxxi?

I've only done like 2 full areas and got to 90. Should I explore any other areas or leave that to alts?

Also, somebody mentioned it before, but where should I be questing with the hopes I can get sky shards? I can't remember. I REALLY want Alani.

*edit* I'll add you. Anybody else fee free to add me. RoninChaos#1747

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You get Skyshards from doing the Golden Lotus dailies. All the mobs you kill along the way have a chance to drop one, you also get a box in the last quest that has a chance of dropping a shard.

[edit]

Speaking of dailies.

18,550/21,000 with the August Celestials

Two more days and I'm completely done with dailies until 5.1.

Ultratech

So start Golden Lotus and Klaxxi?

I've only done like 2 full areas and got to 90. Should I explore any other areas or leave that to alts?

Also, somebody mentioned it before, but where should I be questing with the hopes I can get sky shards? I can't remember. I REALLY want Alani.

If you plan on doing Klaxxi, you'll have to do pretty much all of Dread Wastes to unlock the various Paragons and their dailies.

Both factions also give 489 gear at Exalted, so that's pretty nice.

Skyshards drop in the Vale, so if you do Golden Lotus dailies, you might get one, though they're very rare. Even then, you have to be Exalted with The August Celestials to even use the mount. (On top of Cloud Serpent riding.)

You get Skyshards from doing the Golden Lotus dailies. All the mobs you kill along the way have a chance to drop one, you also get a box in the last quest that has a chance of dropping a shard.

[edit]

Speaking of dailies.

18,550/21,000 with the August Celestials

Two more days and I'm completely done with dailies until 5.1.

Golden lotus it is then.

I guess me feeling completely disjointed is the exception? It felt like 3000 things got thrown at me at once when I hit 90, just trying to figure out where the fuck I could learn flying.

What the hell? Have you just been really, really lucky in LFR? I've done LFR each time it's up, Sha each week (no Galleon because HAH.), *plus* normal mode raids and I'm only on... maybe 468?
Valor Point gear is an excellent filler to boosting your iLVL. I just hit 477 last night, through a combination of Heroic, LFR, Normal Raid, craftables, and VP gear.

mclem

Valor Point gear is an excellent filler to boosting your iLVL. I just hit 477 last night, through a combination of Heroic, LFR, Normal Raid, craftables, and VP gear.

It's true that I could probably pick up one or two pieces with my stockpiled VP (must remember to shop before the raid tonight!), but I don't think that'd account for an 8-iLvl difference.

Yoshichan

Tarazet

Also: Yay, Terrible Turnip IS MINE! On the other hand, Elegon is *brutal*. On our very best go we just about got back onto the platform after the pillar phase but were swamped with adds.

Gear is like this:

4 LFR epics: helm, shoulders, trinket, ring
2 crafted LW epics: chest, gloves
2 Valor epics: legs, bracers
1 piece from rep: Golden Lotus exalted, neckpiece
1 epic from the Sha quest: boots
1 PvP epic from Sha: belt
1 470 ring from Hallow's End
Everything else: heroic drops (cloak, main hand, trinket)

My only amazing "luck" was that I had pieces drop from LFR that I hadn't already filled with epics. The rest of it was just hard work and good planning. The only exception to that was getting two helms at the same time from LFR - pretty much the only piece I had to gem differently for tanking and feral sets.

It's true that I could probably pick up one or two pieces with my stockpiled VP (must remember to shop before the raid tonight!), but I don't think that'd account for an 8-iLvl difference.
I'm certainly not attributing it exclusively to his/her iLVL increase. It's a part of the bigger picture and it helps, nonetheless. An issue I do not want to see with my raiders is them waiting for gear to drop. They need to be proactive with their gear acquisition. This means spending valor, crafting, and acquiring Darkmoon Faire items.

Yoshichan

Shit. How many hours/minutes exactly until maintenance? I suck with time zones.

idlewild_

It's fairly simple to get around 475/6 with no gear from lfr/normal mode/sha drops/galleon drops:

463 helm
489 GL neck
489 vp shoulders
489 vp cloak
476 crafted chest
463 bracers
476 crafted gloves
463 waist
463 legs
476 boots from sha quest
489 klaxxi ring
489 vp ring
470 brewfest trinket
476 darkmoon trinket
463 weapon

there are also 489 vp items for most of the remaining slots, but i don't think you would have enough vp by now to buy something for all of them, so just listed ones that would keep you under 5-6k vp spent.

Irnbru

What an amazingly fun fight that first fight in heart of fear is! We got him in our last attempt, only 7 of us left. I was healing my ass of, using every single god damn cool down in our arsenal. It was one of the most exhilarating wins I've had in this game in a while. When we first started we thought there was no way we could heal through his insane AoE damage, and then we did it, like 10-12 times. Then in the last phase of the fight, he changed through phases almost instantly, its like, OH GOD HERE COMES MORE, MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE. can't wait for the next boss in there. Also, paladin healing is stupid fun, and yes, my face was like in my avatar most of the fight.

mclem

Gear is like this:

4 LFR epics: helm, shoulders, trinket, ring
I've had just one drop. Which was a waist after I'd already bought one for VP.
Edit: Oh, forgot bracers. Two. And I actually use the bracers!
2 crafted LW epics: chest, gloves
Crafted both my BS ones.
2 Valor epics: legs, bracers
Purchased one item (Waist); can probably grab two more.
1 piece from rep: Golden Lotus exalted, neckpiece
Slot covered elsewhere (see later)
1 epic from the Sha quest: boots
Got
1 PvP epic from Sha: belt
None have dropped for me. Besides, I'm thinking more in terms of effectively usable items, not just things to pad my iLvl.
1 470 ring from Hallow's End
I'm a tank; there isn't one there for me.

Everything else: heroic drops (cloak, main hand, trinket)
I suspect one factor is my Ghost Iron Dragonling dragging the iLvl down a bit while actually being very effective. Haven't had any luck with getting tank shoulders, either; those are 450. It doesn't help that the brewfest trinkets aren't particularly good, either. Tank shoulders will be grabbed tonight, though, for VP. Hopefully that'll leave me with enough VP for a second purchase, but we'll see.

In my case, you can add in two normal-mode drops; a tank neck from the first boss, and a helm from Feng which is strictly speaking DPS, but I was the only plate user present and it was still a significant upgrade from the 440-ish quest item I was using prior to that so I've pressed it into service for tanking.

I'm just on 470, actually, so I guess I was a couple of iLvls out when I was complaining - but it's still a not-insignificant disparity, and while it's not exclusively from poor luck with drops, a factor is. I suspect I can gain three or four from VP spending, though.

there are also 489 vp items for most of the remaining slots, but i don't think you would have enough vp by now to buy something for all of them, so just listed ones that would keep you under 5-6k vp spent.
It's only been possible to earn 5k VP *total* so far, and I'm not the sort to burn to 90 as rapidly as possible. I suspect I've earned perhaps 3.3k total?

I'm not actually unhappy with my lot, as it were; apologies if it came off like that. I was just surprised at how easily he got to 476, when I was struggling to get that high and there are others in the guild who are significantly lower than that.

I'm in my 'why am I playing this game when it's actually pretty boring' mood again. Time for a break, Just bought Amnesia, perfect for Halloween night.

Yoshichan

I'm in my 'why am I playing this game when it's actually pretty boring' mood again. Time for a break, Just bought Amnesia, perfect for Halloween night.
Take breaks like these, they're really effective - trust me.

Tarazet

None have dropped for me. Besides, I'm thinking more in terms of effectively usable items, not just things to pad my iLvl.

Nothing wrong with PvP gear if you have no better option, it has all the stats of PvE stuff with PvP stats added on. I figure the 483 PvP piece is equivalent to the 483-level LFR piece without the tier bonus.

I'm a tank; there isn't one there for me.

There is a tank helm that can drop from the bag, but your DPS helm is probably OK.

I suspect one factor is my Ghost Iron Dragonling dragging the iLvl down a bit while actually being very effective. Haven't had any luck with getting tank shoulders, either; those are 450. It doesn't help that the brewfest trinkets aren't particularly good, either.

The Ghost Iron Dragonling is nice, and I didn't stop using it until I had an LFR Agi trinket plus a heroic Agi trinket. I could keep one of the Brewfest trinkets in my bag for ilevel, but it isn't actually necessary any longer.

In my case, you can add in two normal-mode drops; a tank neck from the first boss, and a helm from Feng which is strictly speaking DPS, but I was the only plate user present and it was still a significant upgrade from the 440-ish quest item I was using prior to that so I've pressed it into service for tanking.

I'm just on 470, actually, so I guess I was a couple of iLvls out when I was complaining - but it's still a not-insignificant disparity, and while it's not exclusively from poor luck with drops, a factor is. I suspect I can gain three or four from VP spending, though.

Even more important than the ilevel is making sure you're getting the best stats per piece, especially as a tank. Everyone should prioritize the main pieces of armor with the most stats on them: helm, chest, shoulders, legs, followed by gloves and boots, then belt/bracers. I could have padded my ilevel even more by getting the cheap cloak and ring, but I opted for the most effective upgrades rather than the biggest number.

It's only been possible to earn 5k VP *total* so far, and I'm not the sort to burn to 90 as rapidly as possible

I'm not actually unhappy with my lot, as it were; apologies if it came off like that. I was just surprised at how easily he got to 476, when I was struggling to get that high and there are others in the guild who are significantly lower than that.

You're not very far away from me at all. I think anyone who plays as much as I do will be pretty close, if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom