• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
icBBiWOoshrUG.png

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

wat

Hey guys. HOw does this cross realm stuff work if I want to group with a friend who's on a different server? SOme people I knew from my old server are coming back to the game, but I'm not on that server anymore. Is it really as simple as grouping and the rest takes care of itself? Can they give me items, etc? Can I give them things? We can quest, do dungeons, etc?

Is there a place where I can read about this shit? lol

false. Its BiS for frost dks this entire tier including heroics. passive 1000 str, and 3000 proc strength is stupid.

What trinket is this and how do I get it?

I think I'm finally going to get into pet battles because I want more pets. Any suggestions for starting out?

Gonna do archaelogy too. Getting bored with Dailies. I did find two onyx eggs in a row though. I was shocked by that. I need to find a map of the best spawn places like I did with the netherwing.

Touch

Someone got that realm first today on my server as well. Pretty cool.

I don't understand the item level boost thing.

Fosh

Neo Member
I was talking to my partner about this. He was telling me that in Classic, weapons had no effect on cat/bear attack power. So they were amazing at lower levels, but absolute garbage at endgame. And trying to DPS as a caster was even more hopeless. So as a result, all Druids could do in any kind of reliable capacity at endgame was heal, so if they wanted to raid, they wore Spirit cloth. Otherwise, most Druid gear had all stats on it and they relied on shapeshifting to slowly grind the mobs down until they outlived them, which was fine for leveling, but wasn't of much use to a group.

Best caster DPS now is Mage. Best [Melee] DPS is DK. Tank is getting buff but atm its just good not best. Best Healing is subjective. Pally/Shaman best PVP healer tho.

Druid is top tier herb farming.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I was talking to my partner about this. He was telling me that in Classic, weapons had no effect on cat/bear attack power. So they were amazing at lower levels, but absolute garbage at endgame. And trying to DPS as a caster was even more hopeless. So as a result, all Druids could do in any kind of reliable capacity at endgame was heal, so if they wanted to raid, they wore Spirit cloth. Otherwise, most Druid gear had all stats on it and they relied on shapeshifting to slowly grind the mobs down until they outlived them, which was fine for leveling, but wasn't of much use to a group.

Yup. Boomkins didn't actually exist until midway through Vanilla and they were affectionately known as OOMkins because they lacked any of the existing mana restore mechanics they have now.

For Feral DPS, the way their weapon damage worked was completely different than the weapon damage. In Naxx they introduced "Feral Attack Power" as a stat so that feral druids could actually do more damage based on the weapon that they were using.

Hybrids were pretty much shit back then. If you could heal, you were healing. Priests, Druids, Shamans and Paladins were all healers. Your 40 man raid would have maybe 1-2 hybrids actually DPSing instead of healing.

Sophia

You joined 40 man raids in classic as a Druid to cast Healing Touch on people, give your Innverate to the priest, battle res people who died, and teabag people who died in bear form. If you weren't willing to do this, you probably didn't raid.

Robin64

I don't understand the item level boost thing.

Every item over ilvl 375 has an "Upgrade Level". Most epics seem to show 0/2 by default. For 750 VP, you can change that to 1/2 which increases its ilvl by 4. Another 750 VP and it's 2/2 with an increases of 8 ilvls. Pretty cool.

Entropia

No One Remembers
You joined 40 man raids in classic as a Druid to cast Rank 4 Healing Touch on people, give your Innverate to the priest, battle res people who died, and teabag people who died in bear form. If you weren't willing to do this, you probably didn't raid.

Fixed. ;)

Enosh

You joined 40 man raids in classic as a Druid to cast Healing Touch on people, give your Innverate to the priest, battle res people who died, and teabag people who died in bear form. If you weren't willing to do this, you probably didn't raid.
I remember when the BC patch rolled around, our guild disbanded because all the former healers now wanted to play dps because they made shadow priest etc actually good so we had no healers to do shit with anymore ^^

Entropia

No One Remembers
Oh yes, how could I forget that after having three ranks of Healing Touch on my bar for so long in BC!? ;_;

Downranking healing still worked better than the healing triage we have now, despite how sloppy it was. >_>;

HP9ZF.jpg

Shaman UI for Vanilla/BC!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so the new Honor/JP/Conquest/VP upgrade thingy is absolutely brilliant. I'm honestly impressed. I've previously complained about this before (surprise!) but now that Blizzard took action, I feel relieved! Also the fact that VP takes two steps to upgrade 8 ilvl (and also only takes half of the full VP-price each time) is REALLY good since VP is clearly the hardest resource to acquire!

GOOD JOB BLIZZARD!

Trickster

Okay so the new Honor/JP/Conquest/VP upgrade thingy is absolutely brilliant. I'm honestly impressed. I've previously complained about this before (surprise!) but now that Blizzard took action, I feel relieved! Also the fact that VP takes two steps to upgrade 8 ilvl (and also only takes half of the full VP-price each time) is REALLY good since VP is clearly the hardest resource to acquire!

GOOD JOB BLIZZARD!

This is sarcasm right? Just need to make sure

mclem

GOOD JOB BLIZZARD!

What sort of item budget does 4 iLvls work out as? It'll be interesting to price up the value of an upgrade of an existing item versus purchasing a new upgraded item (if, for that matter, 'new upgraded items' even exist)

Further thoughts:

Does this work on PvP gear?

Does this work on low-level gear?

All their scaling stuff does make me very excited to find out if they're going to go through with extending the concept to downgrading players to a level appropriate for low-level raids. They've talked about it a bit, with their main worry being trying to figure out how to offer fair *rewards* for such things.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not gonna lie, even my sarcasm detector went off when I read your post. =P
Because I'm so inconsistent with what I like/dislike, right? I see how it is :(

I'll be able to give my reasoning to why I think this idea is genius later on (when I'm done with dailies + dinner) :3

Trickster

No, why the heck would that be sarcasm?

Because it read like sarcasm. Also because in my mind, this new features means we will NEVER have to stop farming dailys and shit for valor point.

Upgrading blue items for justice points I'm fine with. But fuck having to never stop farming valor points. It's boring as shit.

mclem

Because it read like sarcasm. Also because in my mind, this new features means we will NEVER have to stop farming dailys and shit for valor point.

Well, it looks like their intent is to add huge new daily hubs for each major patch; I suspect the intent is that you'll be broadly done with the base dailies by the time 5.1 comes out and so your entire focus would instead be on the Krasarang Offensive side of things... and I'm sure we'll get to a point where you can get to the cap without *too* much hassle by just raiding.

I mean, I was already of a mindset to keep the dailies going in order to keep the inflow of bonus-roll coins coming but now there's an additional reason to do so.

Trickster

Then view it differently. If you have spare VP, you can upgrade an item.

It's not about how I want to view it, it's about how it will actually work in praksis. If you want to raid and get your character able to do their job as well as possible. You're gonna have to never stop farming valor points now. Same reason why you have to have specific proffessions based on your class and role.

I've already been forced to spend hours upon hours farming horribly dailys just to get access to the valor gear, now I have to keep doing that forever just so I can upgrade them as well?

Sure it might not be an issue if you're in a guild where people just don't care. But I've tried playing with people that have that mindset before, and it sucks. Because they play the game sloppily as hell. those are the kind of people that are late for raids, don't use flask, can't move out of easily avoided shit, etc.

Hey guys. HOw does this cross realm stuff work if I want to group with a friend who's on a different server? SOme people I knew from my old server are coming back to the game, but I'm not on that server anymore. Is it really as simple as grouping and the rest takes care of itself? Can they give me items, etc? Can I give them things? We can quest, do dungeons, etc?

Is there a place where I can read about this shit? lol

Anybody? :(

Fosh

Neo Member

Upgrading blue items for justice points I'm fine with. But fuck having to never stop farming valor points. It's boring as shit.

At least you always get valor points for heroics now instead of once a day. If I put together a group I have way more fun farming heroics than doing dailies.

Doesn't seem so bad and it might decrease heroic queue times for DPS (20 min avg on my server)

Entropia

No One Remembers

If a friend from another server invites you to a group, and you are the same level you will go to their level. If you are higher level than them, they will be on your server. Still though, you will be able to interact with each other.

This way you will be able to quest with each other, queue for dungeons and all that fun stuff. You will not be able to trade items though.

Trickster

I think you can do all those things, except trade items, gold etc. But you can paly together in the zones, dungeons and raids.

At least you always get valor points for heroics now instead of once a day. If I put together a group I have way more fun farming heroics than doing dailies.

Doesn't seem so bad and it might decrease heroic queue times for DPS (20 min avg on my server)

Well they changed it so you could do the 7 dungeons for valor points in a single day, rather than one a day the entire week, before MoP came out. And at that time you got the full amount of valor point per dungeon. The way it is now, you 're just wasting you're time if you're going for valor points and do more than 1 a day since any sub sequent dungeons only yield half. MoP is just chokfull of really shitty design choices imo. I'm surprised to many people seem to just accept it, or even enjoy it.

Fosh

Neo Member

As long as you have their Battle.net ID you can group with them and it will transfer everyone to the group leader's realm. You can quest together and queue for dungeons but you cannot enter the same raid :(

Edit: You can do LFR but not an actual raid.

The problem I have with this system is the 1000 point/week valor cap. At 15 slots, 16 if you dual wield/offhand, to fully upgrade everything would take between 22.5 and 24 weeks. In other words - 6 months (or just shy of it) capping Valor every single week. There would be at least one new tier out before you'd finish. In the current state, it's designed to keep you chained to the game, since you'd never be able to have the absolute best gear in a reasonable time frame.

So hopefully some adjustments go out in either the cost of upgrading, or with the valor cap to fix it, since it's horribly abusive as is. (Maybe fine for the one year spans of no new content before an expansion though, lol)

Bizazedo

The problem I have with this system is the 1000 point/week valor cap. At 15 slots, 16 if you dual wield/offhand, to fully upgrade everything would take between 22.5 and 24 weeks. In other words - 6 months (or just shy of it) capping Valor every single week. There would be at least one new tier out before you'd finish. In the current state, it's designed to keep you chained to the game, since you'd never be able to have the absolute best gear in a reasonable time frame.

So hopefully some adjustments go out in either the cost of upgrading, or with the valor cap to fix it, since it's horribly abusive as is. (Maybe fine for the one year spans of no new content before an expansion though, lol)

Falcon beat me to it. If you're a hardcore raider obsessively trying to max their VP out, capping Valor is trivial. So, it's not a situation of "oh man I can never stop running dailies!". That's simply not true and is ignoring the simple math behind it.

It's more like you will never, ever, be "done" upgrading.

Hyperbole, it'll actually just take a long time, but you get the idea. 1000 VP a week is low given current prices.

scoobs

upgrade system is neat. Since i already bought the VP gear I need I actually have something to spend my VP on. Unfortunately there's still nothing to spend my honor points on since I'm full conquest gear almost already...

Sophia

Given as they already have a total maximum in place, seems like it'd be easier just to allow unlimited valor gains each week, and significantly slow gains after the first 1000 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom