• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Given as they already have a total maximum in place, seems like it'd be easier just to allow unlimited valor gains each week, and significantly slow gains after the first 1000 points.

I like this.

So you earn 1000 somewhat quickly, then cut your gains by 50% after the cap?

The problem I have with this system is the 1000 point/week valor cap. At 15 slots, 16 if you dual wield/offhand, to fully upgrade everything would take between 22.5 and 24 weeks. In other words - 6 months (or just shy of it) capping Valor every single week. There would be at least one new tier out before you'd finish. In the current state, it's designed to keep you chained to the game, since you'd never be able to have the absolute best gear in a reasonable time frame.

So hopefully some adjustments go out in either the cost of upgrading, or with the valor cap to fix it, since it's horribly abusive as is. (Maybe fine for the one year spans of no new content before an expansion though, lol)

People already have a reason to play the game forever: Sigils of Power/Wisdom and Sha-Touched weapons.

This is just another ladder to climb. A completely optional one, at all levels of gear. It's a means by which you fill gaps in your gear that poor luck with boss drops has created.

Robin64

What if they didn't let you upgrade whatever the current tier is?

So you're running the second tier of MoP in 5.2 or whatever, but you're just not getting your pieces. You've got way too much VP though, so you can upgrade some gear you do have, making you a little better than when you started the tier.

Once you get your gear from that tier, you don't have to worry about upgrading it because you can't.

Would that appease the hardcore raiders in here?

Sophia

I like this.

So you earn 1000 somewhat quickly, then cut your gains by 50% after the cap?

I was thinking closer to 75%, but yeah. The hardcore are going to complain if they can't progress, so just making sure they can't progress too fast is the ideal solution.

Tarazet

People already have a reason to play the game forever: Sigils of Power/Wisdom and Sha-Touched weapons.

This is just another ladder to climb. A completely optional one, at all levels of gear. It's a means by which you fill gaps in your gear that poor luck with boss drops has created.

And it's one that I'm not even going to use until I'm done spending Valor on actual gear. You can't buy enough upgrades to make 476 gear better than the VP 489 pieces, which is what I was waiting to see. Now I know I can safely spend Valor on armor and forget about upgrading the 476 LFR stuff. The 483 LFR tier pieces, though, I can see upgrading those once they're out in the wild since the tier bonuses might make them superior pieces.

I was thinking closer to 75%, but yeah. The hardcore are going to complain if they can't progress, so just making sure they can't progress too fast is the ideal solution.

The problem with open-ended valor gain + valor upgrades means that valor points becomes Yet Another Upgrade Tax. Just like enchants, gems and reforging, you must now invest Valor Points into every upgrade because it's possible. And because something is now possible, it will be assumed when Blizzard creates more cutting-edge content for the crazies. It's power creep in the purest sense of the word.

Keeping some kind of cap (doesn't have to stay 1000/week, 3000/total) puts a lid on that insanity.

Sophia

The problem with open-ended valor gain + valor upgrades means that valor points becomes Yet Another Upgrade Tax. Just like enchants, gems and reforging, you must now invest Valor Points into every upgrade because it's possible. And because something is now possible, it will be assumed when Blizzard creates more cutting-edge content for the crazies. It's power creep in the purest sense of the word.

Keeping some kind of cap (doesn't have to stay 1000/week, 3000/total) puts a lid on that insanity.

The hardcore are going to be doing it anyhow, and the casual probably don't even hit the valor cap every week. I really don't see the issue, it's just moving the time commitment to whenever the user feels like.

Putting a cap on it doesn't remove the so called "power creep." It just makes it take longer.

Trickster

What if they didn't let you upgrade whatever the current tier is?

So you're running the second tier of MoP in 5.2 or whatever, but you're just not getting your pieces. You've got way too much VP though, so you can upgrade some gear you do have, making you a little better than when you started the tier.

Once you get your gear from that tier, you don't have to worry about upgrading it because you can't.

Would that appease the hardcore raiders in here?

That would be something I would be fine with actually. My main issue with the current upgrade feature is the fact that there will never be a week where I don't have to farm.

Entropia

No One Remembers
They should remove any sort of weekly or daily cap and simply cap how much you can have. I'd rather plow through and hit my total cap in 2 days than have to slowly cap over a week. ;<

Bizazedo

All good points....

I know why the cap is there, it's definitely not the end of the world.....

I dunno, my next statement is completely subjective and of course prone to vicious ridicule, but I detest any seemingly arbitrary barrier to progression.

Like, killing a boss in an instance? He's dead, won't be back for a week, that "feels" fine.

Killing a boss again in LFR and not getting anything because I already killed him? More annoying, but I knew that going in. The message that shows what you WOULD HAVE gotten if you were loot eligible is a hilarious kick in the balls, but it made me laugh.

Having quest rewards reduced / changed or reducing the prize of completing a dungeon or a raid because of an arbitrary cap? Again, I know why it's there, but it's so...

Inelegant.

Sophia

Hard barriers to progression annoy me far more than soft ones. There are just times when I want to get it all done at once and not worried about it.

The hardcore are going to be doing it anyhow, and the casual probably don't even hit the valor cap every week. I really don't see the issue, it's just moving the time commitment to whenever the user feels like.

Putting a cap on it doesn't remove the so called "power creep." It just makes it take longer.

The real issue is that it will divide guilds that do it from guilds that do not do it, as well as divide content designed for either side of that divide.

Guild that doesn't grind out valor every week = too weak for new content tuned around guilds that do.
Guild that does grind out valor every week = new content not tuned around such behavior is trivialized.

This is crappy for both sides of the wall. The cap means that the content doesn't have to be tuned around such behavior, because nobody will be able to trivialize it and nobody will have to do it to overcome the content.

Sophia

The real issue is that it will divide guilds that do it from guilds that do not do it, as well as divide content designed for either side of that divide.

Guild that doesn't grind out valor every week = too weak for new content tuned around guilds that do.
Guild that does grind out valor every week = new content not tuned around such behavior is trivialized.

This is crappy for both sides of the wall. The cap means that the content doesn't have to be tuned around such behavior, because nobody will be able to trivialize it and nobody will have to do it to overcome the content.

I think you're overestimating the effects of these upgrades via Valor. Also, the setup you described is how it already is anyhow. You can say "nobody will be able to trivialize it" but the hardcore already do and they're going to continue to do so regardless of the limitations in place.

I think you're overestimating the effects of these upgrades via Valor.

Top-100 guilds live and die by their 1%, 15 seconds past-enrage kills. Without them they whine about Dragon Soul for most of a year. Marginal upgrades on 10/25 players is where those kills live, so yes they become mandatory.

Sophia

Top-100 guilds live and die by their 1%, 15 seconds past-enrage kills. Without them they whine about Dragon Soul for most of a year. Marginal upgrades on 10/25 players is where those kills live, so yes they become mandatory.

Top 100 guilds are not terribly relevant and a small faction of the player base. They're not even who the game caters to anyhow. Let them whine.

Dragon Soul had far greater problems than them progressing through it too fast.

On a related note, methinks if we must keep the cap, 2500 VP sounds like a reasonable number. Cutting the time down from six months to roughly one and a half.

Neki

As much as I'd like to have more Valor, I'm going to have to agree, not capping valor will just cause extremely hardcore guilds to constantly be grinding valor to out-gear current content, giving them a huge advantage.

Entropia

No One Remembers
As much as I'd like to have more Valor, I'm going to have to agree, not capping valor will just cause extremely hardcore guilds to constantly be grinding valor to out-gear current content, giving them a huge advantage.

Yeah, and? That's how it always has been and always will be.

Man, I just wanna say... fuck the rare spawns with a "chance" to drop a rare pet. Fucking Nalash. If I happen to find and kill the fucker, I should be able to have the damn pet like Jadefang. 1 in 10 chance can suck my Tauren teet.

Sophia

Interesting strings in the new PTR chat. Looks like they're separating Instance chat from Party chat or something of the such.

Artanisix

Valor caps are cool with me. I just want Blizzard to fix Marksman spec since that has always been my favorite and in MoP it is heavy amounts of liquid ass.

Neki

Valor caps are cool with me. I just want Blizzard to fix Marksman spec since that has always been my favorite and in MoP it is heavy amounts of liquid ass.

you haven't sacrificed characters to the sim craft gods like the real freakinchair has

Artanisix

you haven't sacrificed characters to the sim craft gods like the real freakinchair has

I stick with my class through THE GOOD AND THE BAD

They're fucking nerfing WW monk self healing? Why? It was already shit to begin with!

Don't know what they're doing to WW monks but chi wave is ridiculously good for self healing in PVE.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, that was no fun :(

>Yoshi goes to pub
>Drinks 0 alcohol
>Goes home and plays WoW

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The only thing I can do is sexually harass Entropia.

oboy my favorite thing ever :3

I can be serious. ~RAWR~

If it starts coming together, I'm a goblin resto Shaman with the entire Dreadful set.

:)

I wouldnt mind setting it up , pretty tired of sitting on the sidelines. I was a gladiator rogue s3 and gladiator priest s4. Arena burned my team , we quit. Sold my account on markee dragon thinking I was done playing for good.

Made another account... my original friends quit for good. Never found competent PvPers ever again.

Forever duelist.

Anyway , I'd like to start PvPing again... maybe under the GAF name? hmmm?

Enosh

anyone know, are the big wigs timers any better for HoF because the DBM ones are rather shit, mostly regarding the second boss and the unseen strike timer

first boss down (10 man) yay
dropped plate pants which got DE because I already had tier ones and no one else uses plate -.-

If a friend from another server invites you to a group, and you are the same level you will go to their level. If you are higher level than them, they will be on your server. Still though, you will be able to interact with each other.

This way you will be able to quest with each other, queue for dungeons and all that fun stuff. You will not be able to trade items though.

so if he had an item he wanted to give me, we can't do that? DAMN.

No gold, nothing? What about enchants?

Draxal

brawler's guild invitations being done by members or through the bmah .... sounds like an incredibly stupid implementation, just maked it instanced/phased gawsh.

Trickster

brawler's guild invitations being done by members or through the bmah .... sounds like an incredibly stupid implementation, just maked it instanced/phased gawsh.

Definitely sounds like something that goes agains't their "let everyone see all the content" philosophy.

Sophia

*facepalm*

Talk about killing a feature dead in the water before it's even launched.

Definitely sounds like something that goes agains't their "let everyone see all the content" philosophy.

I've always been a firm believer that their "philosophy" is bullshit. They've never stuck to such a philosophy in the past, what reason do they have to stay consistent now?

Yoshichan

Wait, what? By "members" and Black Market? What does this even mean?

Sophia

Wait, what? By "members" and Black Market? What does this even mean?

It means the richest people on the server will pay out of the ass to buy the invitation off the Black Market, then turn around and sell invites to other people for a high price. The Rich get Richer and the poor get... well no immediate access to the feature.

This is also a fantastic example of Blizzard once again trying to reinvent the wheel.

Yoshichan

Yeah but I mean, how much could they POSSIBLY go for?

Sophia

Well, it won't be for a small amount, that's for sure. I'm expecting some absurd cost.

On an unrelated note:

Ffcqd.png

Wooootlies~!

Dresden

Dumb idea for the Brawler's Guild. Hopefully there are enough complaints to correct this.

Otherwise I guess I can look forward to trade getting spammed with 'brawler invite for sale pst 50k.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom