• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The person who initially pulls Garalon gets it. You pass it on by getting within five yards or so of another player.

Considering all the movement going on during the fight between all players, this must be a pain to do when someone who have no idea what to do gets too close.

It depends what people actually *want* when they're asking for this, because I think that giving people what I suspect they're actually asking for - the ability to just spamfarm dungeons to hit exalted before too long - would effectively replace daily rep anyway. If there's a mechanic with a cap and one without, people will always favour the mechanic without.

They capped guild rep just fine at Cata's beginning. No reason you can't implement a weekly cap on dungeon farmed rep.

There's also a challenge from Blizzard's standpoint in that the dailies are now structured around evolving stories, which would be difficult to represent in an environment where people aren't bothering to run them.

It's not as trivial as you make out unless Blizzard are willing to throw out the goals they aimed for when originally designing this grind, and I think that'd be a big step back.

To be honest I stopped caring about lore when they started dumping it in places other than WoW to sell books. Also there are better ways to do lore than glacial levels of rep progress.

Considering all the movement going on during the fight between all players, this must be a pain to do when someone who have no idea what to do gets too close.

Hence the "it takes just one mouthbreather to wipe a raid". You just can't put a mechanic like that (that affects the entire raid if done improperly) in LFR.

Trickster

The problem with Garalon LFR is that one absolute fucking mouthbreather can easily wipe the raid.

I can see that being a problem. But imo, the solution would be pretty simple. Change garalon so that if someone goes into the big purple circle, they just get insta-gibbed. Keep the raid dmg as is, but also kill the idiot that can't handle not walking into the big purple circle. That way even the most obtuse people ought to learn they are doing it incorrectly, but the raid won't suffer for it as long as it's only a handful of people fucking it up.

I mean, it's extremely fucking simple to not walk into. I spent around 4½ hours on the boss before killing him with my guild, with me having to tank him, often standing very very close to the circle while trying to dmg the front leg that was in walking over the pools. And not once did I walk into the circle.

Actually, now that I think about it. Blizzard should change all the lfr bosses to have something like this. Instead of having every avoidable mechanic/ability of all the bosses be something you can ignore in lfr. Change it so that at least the very big avoidable mechanics will just kill the idiot dumb enough to trigger them.

Abilities like jasper chains on stone guard, wildfire in the middle of the raid on feng, or annihilation and flanking orders on spirit kings. If you fuck up on super easy shit like this, you should die, you deserve to.

While I one shot garalon in lfr this week as main tank. It was hilarious to see around 10 fucking people running right on top of me after I charged in and got the debuff, the person the got it then proceeded to run full fucking speed in a loose ring around the boss, meaning the pools got placed very far apart. Managed to get it back pretty easily though, and after that it was easy cruising, though with 10+ random crushes not triggered by debuff swapping.

mclem

I give up trying to do Galaron on LFR until they nerf him, and Heart of Fear for that matter, i can never find a group that haven't killed the first 2 bosses.

By the way, can anyone explain how this Pheromones thing works? How do you get it? How do you give it to someone else? Seems like its one of the things that hurts the most on the boss, on top of the purple ring. If I can't trust PUG on doing it, maybe I should.

Pheromones: Applied to the first player who hits the boss. Makes you drop mini void zones (which don't disappear over the entirety of the fight), and you gain a stacking debuff that deals damage across the raid.

You transfer it to another player simply by moving sufficiently close to them.

The bit that my PuG struggled to understand: The tanks DO NOT TANK in the conventional manner. The person with Pheromones is the person who has aggro; the person with Pheromones is responsible for controlling the boss.

Given that one key mechanic is ensuring that the boss is pointing at the tanks all the time, one major pheromones screw-up is the person with the debuff not being aware of the fact and running in inconvenient directions, causing the boss to spin faster than the tanks can compensate for.

LFR, however, has a huge loophole to make Pheromones much easier: The tanks can have it. They're the players who (you'd hope!) would be experienced at controlling and moving a boss, and them having it makes the boss more managable.

As such, if the LFR group is using this simplified tactic (which I would recommend - but the tanks need to be aware that they're planning to use it!)
IF you are not a tank, and get Pheromones, run them to the tank ASAP.
If you are not a tank, STAY AWAY FROM THE TANKS; avoid accidentally taking Pheromones off them.

If you are a tank, with Pheromones, move slowly around the room (I moved directly back to the stairs then went around the walls). Move as minimally as possible; only move *just* beyond each void zone as they spawn. You need to also coordinate with your cotank to periodically swap pheromones and drop the stacks of the debuff... while still staying within sufficient range of the cleave attack.

This is *not* a viable tactic in normal (as I was asking earlier!), but is a very useful get-out clause in LFR - but people need to fully understand what the threat mechanics are in the fight, otherwise everything's going to go to shit in no time at all.

mclem

Abilities like jasper chains on stone guard, wildfire in the middle of the raid on feng, or annihilation and flanking orders on spirit kings. If you fuck up on super easy shit like this, you should die, you deserve to.

To play devil's advocate: How do you programatically determine who's responsible for the fuckup with Jasper Chains?

mclem

They capped guild rep just fine at Cata's beginning. No reason you can't implement a weekly cap on dungeon farmed rep.
My point was that I suspect the people who want dungeon rep are really asking for a source of rep they can grind to Exalted in a couple of days, not just an abject dislike of a couple of trivial dailies.

johnsmith

remember me
Got a new outfit piecing together different sets, but I think they look pretty good together.
wvhax.png

Trickster

To play devil's advocate: How do you programatically determine who's responsible for the fuckup with Jasper Chains?

You just kill both. I mean it would be even harder to fuck up on, since it just needs either of the two players to move to the other player.

And if neither of the two players can figure out how to do that before they die from the dmg of the jasper chains, or within the 10 or 15 seconds it takes to break the chain, they deserve to die.

Ofc if they break it when the jasper guardian is petrifying, don't kill them, since that'd be doing it correctly. Hell, give them a 50% buff to dmg and healing. Add some incentive to play like they have a brain.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh baby, camped Galleon for about 30 minutes while I played Halo 4 and he spawned. After 9 kills (and 8 coins used) he finally gave me a ring. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh baby, camped Galleon for about 30 minutes while I played Halo 4 and he spawned. After 9 kills (and 8 coins used) he finally gave me a ring. :D
lol casual

Einchy

There was that one time I was running back and didn't get credit, though, so it's probably ten rather than nine.

-1 CASUAL

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I will never be that hardcore
and that good looking
:(

Neki

Any fire mages around? I just wanna know what good combust tick is, usually I average around 10-15k, not sure if that's optimal or not.

So I just activated the 10-day MoP trial. Will it automatically bill me for a sub when the 10 days is over? Do I need to "cancel" the "subscription"?

Tarazet

Disc priests are just stupidly OP at low levels once they get Atonement. In BRD at 53, I was doing as much DPS as the Monk DPS (~450) while also healing as much as a normal healer (~500 HPS). Why would they make it this overpowered when leveling up, given that the spec is barely passable at endgame AND requires an encyclopedic knowledge of every fight's damage timeline? I'd like to run in Holy, but I know it will slow down all of my runs by quite a lot, and it's crap for solo questing too.

Yay! I logged in with my alts placed strategically around the world. Grabbed the Irradiated Roach in New Tinkertown, the Scorpling at the Dark Portal and then found that it was raining in Jaguero Isle so I could get the Baby Ape. Went up to Twilight Highlands to grab a Highlands Turkey that I somehow missed, and then to Arathi Highlands to camp the Tiny Twister for a little while. Ding, Eastern Kingdoms Safari done! Then finally ported to Shattrath and went north to find the rare flayer pet, and Outlands Safari done too.

I'm aiming for 400 achievement points and the Jade Tentacle before I consider my pet battling done.

Westlo

Not liking the 1 Bonus per day for dungeons and shit... 7 a week was way better..

Disc priests are just stupidly OP at low levels once they get Atonement. In BRD at 53, I was doing as much DPS as the Monk DPS (~450) while also healing as much as a normal healer (~500 HPS). Why would they make it this overpowered when leveling up, given that the spec is barely passable at endgame AND requires an encyclopedic knowledge of every fight's damage timeline? I'd like to run in Holy, but I know it will slow down all of my runs by quite a lot, and it's crap for solo questing too.

A lot of shit is unbalanced for low levels, since they're giving all the specs these "spec defining" skills which you get at level 10. Holy Paladins was lolz as soon as you hit 10, this was how I did 10 levels of RAF on my same pc, set my second account to follow and just run around spamming holy shock on any mobs I saw, 1 shot 90% of things. I remember not focusing on that RAF team for like 3 days and when I went back to it.. was nerfed :(

Yoshichan

This will be the first time I'm buying a pet from the Blizzard store :3 I'm excited

Enosh

I wonder, what's the point of the consolation prize on bosses being in a box/bag in the first place? why not just say "you won gold" like the bonus roll does

because the thing gets my hopes up every time "zomg purple letter" "aw fuck just this shit"
is it just to troll people like that :(

Einchy

I wonder, what's the point of the consolation prize on bosses being in a box/bag in the first place? why not just say "you won gold" like the bonus roll does

because the thing gets my hopes up every time "zomg purple letter" "aw fuck just this shit"

I heard that those things were supposed to be like the Call to Arms bags so you could get mats and shit from them. No idea if that's true but it'd make sense.

Berordn

I heard that those things were supposed to be like the Call to Arms bags so you could get mats and shit from them. No idea if that's true but it'd make sense.

Based on the recent Q&A it sounds like they want to make them and the elder tokens more like that, just so it doesn't feel like a monumental waste of time like it is currently.

Enosh

nah, I think they said that making them work like that is "on the table" but atm you only get gold
edit: beaten

Doosi

Banned
I didn't play WoW since 4.0 raiding.. and honestly MoP for the most part in my opinion has eclipsed Cata as the best expansion to date. Pandaria is the first expansion I can remember where it's like "ok, I've hit level cap... holy crap there's too much to do!" Not all of it will last forever, don't get me wrong. And you CAN get burned out feeling compelled to do all of it. However:

Pet Battles
Dailies
Dungeons/Scenarios
PvP
LFR (granted you need to do at least one of the last 3 above to do LFR)
achievements (these aren't new to MoP, but at this point in the game, achievement hunting I feel is a valid play style of end-game WoW)

not to mention a lot of "new" end game content is about to open up with classic raid content losing the "raid group" requirement. will basically give 90s something interesting to do (solo old 40 man content) as not all of it will be able to easily be walked through by 90s coming new into the content (i.e. mechanics can still kill you in plenty of places)

I agree with all assessments on MoP. It is not the most revolutionary WoW expansion, but it is by far the best. The former means it won't win many new players, but the latter means anyone looking to scratch that itch to return will likely be immensely satisfied with what they see.

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but Cataclysm was so boring. It was my least favourite xpac.

Yoshichan

This one? I'm going to snag it too. When they make the revenue 100% donation to a cause like the Japanese earthquake or this recent hurricane it's a win win to buy one.
I think so, yes :) I'm gifting it away btw!

Einchy

Sure are a lot of realms down for "rolling restarts" dangit!

Was hoping to get a little bit done before work.

GODAMMIT, BLIZZ

I wait 2 hours for a reset the other day and it never comes then they do a random one on Saturday.

Looks like Galleon spawned but Ally got it, though, so I guess I didn't miss out on a kill.

Good news is we now pretty much have the first two bosses of MV on farm now, the bad news is the third boss is giving us a ton of trouble still. Our DPS is low enough that we will never make berserk and people keep missing totems. Plus side is it is a boss I get to DPS on since we only need two healers so I can sit there not stressing and mashing buttons.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I might have to buy the firecat. My power didn't come back until yesterday, so I know Sandy is a filthy whore bitch.

Berordn

Good news is we now pretty much have the first two bosses of MV on farm now, the bad news is the third boss is giving us a ton of trouble still. Our DPS is low enough that we will never make berserk and people keep missing totems. Plus side is it is a boss I get to DPS on since we only need two healers so I can sit there not stressing and mashing buttons.

You have your best DPS going inside to get the buff, and coming out ASAP after, right? It helps immensely, as long as someone's still handling adds in there.

You have your best DPS going inside to get the buff, and coming out ASAP after, right? It helps immensely, as long as someone's still handling adds in there.

Yeah we do, I think it is mainly a gear problem for why we are behind on DPS. Saturday is not our normal raid day either, it was mainly a test to see if we could try running two days, so we needed to sub in three extra DPS. I am curious to see how we do tomorrow when we have our normal group.

Einchy

Well, they just nerfed cleaving classes on Garalon. It's going to be super fun not being able to repeat a kill next week.

Ultratech

Did some LFR this morning, won a cloak, and somehow got top DPS (or close; I think Skada might've been off) on Gara'jal.

Yay! I logged in with my alts placed strategically around the world. Grabbed the Irradiated Roach in New Tinkertown, the Scorpling at the Dark Portal and then found that it was raining in Jaguero Isle so I could get the Baby Ape. Went up to Twilight Highlands to grab a Highlands Turkey that I somehow missed, and then to Arathi Highlands to camp the Tiny Twister for a little while. Ding, Eastern Kingdoms Safari done! Then finally ported to Shattrath and went north to find the rare flayer pet, and Outlands Safari done too.

I'm aiming for 400 achievement points and the Jade Tentacle before I consider my pet battling done.

Been trying to find a Scourged Whelpling, but haven't had much luck. Those damn things don't spawn (along with Cobalt Ore nodes...UGH).

But I'm finally at a point where I can go around getting everything now with some high-level pets.

Would you rather win nothing? Or it could be that it's set up so they can add stuff to the bag later...

Could be just a way of saying, "Hey, you won something at least!"

But I can understand where you're coming from, since it is disappointing for it to pop up, since it does mean you didn't win an item. :(

Enosh

Would you rather win nothing? Or it could be that it's set up so they can add stuff to the bag later...

Could be just a way of saying, "Hey, you won something at least!"

But I can understand where you're coming from, since it is disappointing for it to pop up, since it does mean you didn't win an item. :(
no I mean why it shows up in a bag with purple letters that give you hope that you won an item until you read the text or notice the icon ^^
the bonus roll thingy just does a "won gold" "28g" no false hope

Berordn

Yeah we do, I think it is mainly a gear problem for why we are behind on DPS. Saturday is not our normal raid day either, it was mainly a test to see if we could try running two days, so we needed to sub in three extra DPS. I am curious to see how we do tomorrow when we have our normal group.

He's honestly a much easier fight than Stone Guard and Feng, as long as you have the DPS to get through frenzy quickly. If you have enough DPS to get the first two down, you can most certainly down Gara'jal.

Trickster

Guess US finally got a world first on an end boss. Surprised they didn't get it on WotE as well, considering how short that race also was.

Ultratech

Well, finally did Garalon for the 1st time in LFR...

Now I see why everyone was bitching about it. Took us about 4-5 attempts before we managed to pull it off perfectly. Conversely, I ended up kiting along with a Rogue.

But yeah, it doesn't take much to screw it up for everyone.

US gets a world first; Kungen gets banned. #yoloswagKappa

Ahahahahaha!

Yoshichan

Am I dreaming? I just got a Galleon kill... without camping. /5 Galleon just said "he's up and no one is here". No one believed him obviously, but I flew over there to find out just for the hell of it and lo and behold; he really was up.

Unbelievable.

So I just hit 60 on my Rogue (Mage is 62, Priest is 60.)

I totally get that Feral Druid pic now. It really is John Fucking Madden out there. Trying to PvP as Subtlety is so fucking complicated with so many buttons you can hit. Combat is simpler, but not ideal for PvP. Dungeons are easier, but still suck without Fan of Knives and/or Redirect, as you're pretty fucking useless without those (Blade Flurry is kinda shitty). Bosses still don't live long enough for full rotations to really take effect either.

Haven't been able to try Assassination since I don't have a good second dagger to use.

Overall it may be the most complex class to learn with the dichotomy between stealth and non-stealth skills.

Basically, I'm giving props to the good PvP rogues out there. PvE - it's about the same as anything else since you won't be stealthed too often over the course of a 10 minute fight and while the priorities are more difficult than some other classes due to the amount of debuffs you have to keep up, it's not horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom