• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krogan

2. How's LFR? Or more so how it works? I left right before they implemented it, and it seems a bit interesting. I usually just get play time now really late, and I never found a raid to get into at like midnight. Is it easy to get into a raid during late nights??

LFR is a mixed bag, the way the loot works is everyone gets their own hidden roll for loot and what you get is useful to your role (tank/healer/dps) as well as spec. You can use a currency (that you get from doing dailies and only 3 a week with a max of 10) to roll again. It is possible to get items you already have and if you don't get gear they give you gold. LFR is much easier than a normal raid and gear that drops is not as good. Imagine what a random pug of 25 players is and you have a good idea of LFR.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Managed to get a weapon from Ambershaper last night which is a huge upgrade considering i was using a 450 weapon since before I even hit 90 lol

Bizazedo

Only upgrades out of all LFR are the HOF for me are the mace, and tier pieces :(, just been running dps now in LFR lol

Same issue with me, except not even that many pieces. Tier Chest and weapon off Amber Shaper are the only upgrades possible for my tank spec.

Which is awesome as Amber Shaper is wrecking some LFR pugs. Managed to one shot my groups, but guildmates reporting having to slowly and bluntly explain the fight by just saying "if you get transformed, only hit one. Hit 2 if he casts".

Just so bummed out. Imagine running Mogushan LFR every week since it launched and having recieved nothing (Other than 6 Sigisl). Yeah, what a fantastic fucking system now.
Nevermind, re-read your specific situation. Yeah, that sucks.

Wubby

Given the gear is "crap", I don't know why the loot chance isn't a lot higher than it is.

I'm betting they up the loot chance at some point. The beginning of these expansions always seem to have some bad teething problems then smooth out a bit after the first major patch. That's why I'm not even bothering with gearing at all now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Same issue with me, except not even that many pieces. Tier Chest and weapon off Amber Shaper are the only upgrades possible for my tank spec.

Which is awesome as Amber Shaper is wrecking some LFR pugs. Managed to one shot my groups, but guildmates reporting having to slowly and bluntly explain the fight by just saying "if you get transformed, only hit one. Hit 2 if he casts".

I'm confused, do all of you guys want guaranteed loot or something?

VP gear is still higher ilvl than this stuff + if you got guaranteed loot, people would finish quicker.

And it's still a heck of a lot faster loot acquisition than in the history of this game.

The problem isn't wanting guaranteed loot, it's more a psychological thing.

Before, you saw what dropped and had a chance at winning that item. Now, all you see is that you received a bag of gold. Seeing the loot drop that you can roll for gives you a higher impression that you could receive loot rather than just seeing nothing.

Bizazedo

Before, you saw what dropped and had a chance at winning that item. Now, all you see is that you received a bag of gold. Seeing the loot drop that you can roll for gives you a higher impression that you could receive loot rather than just seeing nothing.

...yeah, pretty good analysis. Makes the rage in the raids last night at "YAY MORE GOLD" make sense.

Macattk15

LFR will be the death of WoW.

Mark my words.

Why would LFR be the death of WoW? Lol.

It's for people that can't get in a guild to even run 10 mans. Or for people to gear up to run normals.

There is a reason it is SO damn easy and the gear ilvl is the lowest.

You don't HAVE to do LFR. Get a guild and run 10 man normals or if you have a guild just do it with them.

I had about the same luck getting items to drop in Heroics (I ran Siege of Nizuao so many fucking times for a trinket that dropped twice and I lost roll both times) that I wanted as I do getting useful loot in LFR.

I'd rather get a damn bag of gold than NOTHING when my item that I wanted from said boss did NOT drop. It is purely a psychological thing as Entropia said.

People cry about everything.

Ultratech

Honestly, I think it wouldn't had been so bad if they had did a better job at fixing the old system. Make it to where most everything is Unique, and people can't roll if they have the item being rolled on. (Not sure how that would work with Tier tokens though...)

But you are right. It is a psychological thing. For most people, winning that bag of gold equates to essentially getting nothing.

I'm betting they up the loot chance at some point. The beginning of these expansions always seem to have some bad teething problems then smooth out a bit after the first major patch. That's why I'm not even bothering with gearing at all now.

Or you could wait a few content patches, wait until some new dungeons get released with Epics that completely overpower most of what's in the 1st tier of raiding. (By which time, there will be more raids.) :D

They're probably not going to do that again (feedback from raiders over dragon soul dungeons was ... not positive at all). They want progression to be through lfr and not through dungeons. Then again this is Blizz, there's always a chance they flip flop.

Well, they've already done it twice with the Frozen Halls in Wrath (equivalent or better gear than Ulduar) and Hour of Twilight in Cata (equivalent to Normal FL). Granted, those were towards the end of their respective expansions.

Draxal

Or you could wait a few content patches, wait until some new dungeons get released with Epics that completely overpower most of what's in the 1st tier of raiding. (By which time, there will be more raids.) :D

They're probably not going to do that again (feedback from raiders over dragon soul dungeons was ... not positive at all). They want progression to be through lfr and not through dungeons. Then again this is Blizz, there's always a chance they flip flop.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grats Marza! (Sorry I'm late)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
LFR will be the death of WoW.

Mark my words.
On the contrary... as a long long long time raider (from vanilla.. first raid logged 2005), LFR is exactly what is going to SUPPORT the longevity of the game. It's an entire play style once locked away from the majority of the players, now opened up. Of course there are problems with it... But I imagine WoW's numbers would have fallen off a lot worse over the last year without LFR.

As for the complaints on drop rates............. As someone who raided in 2005... In 40-man (you know, all that existed), and having to HOPE that the Shaman piece dropped (because it was locked out by CLASS), and double and triple checking the guild site to see where you stood on DKP, and hoping that the 2 or 3 guys above you didn't show tonight... all of that, when added together, meant you could run WEEKS without a drop. Maybe even a month or two. Not a side grade. Not a "uggh, I crafted better last week". Nope... dungeon blues for you, and hope you like them, because it's the gear you are going to be looking at for months to come.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If WoW doesn't bring out 40 man raids, hardcore difficulty like vanilla, the horrible designed talent trees and the economy to how it was back in 2005, this game is gonna die.

DIE, I TELL YOU! Heed my warnings, Blizzard!

RAWR I'm a dinosaur!

Entropia

No One Remembers
If WoW doesn't bring out 40 man raids, hardcore difficulty like vanilla, the horrible designed talent trees and the economy to how it was back in 2005, this game is gonna die.

DIE, I TELL YOU! Heed my warnings, Blizzard!

RAWR I'm a dinosaur!

dramatic_yoshi_o.gif

mclem

I'm curious how effective it'd be to introduce an "LFR Heroic" - for want of a better name - being an LFR with the difficulty level (and rewards) of a normal raid.

The average LFR member wouldn't be up to the requirements of it, and that's fine; I'm thinking of it more from the standpoint of opening up the *challenge* of raiding to those who can't make a long-term *commitment* to it... and a nice side-effect is that it could expose such people to prospective guilds who might wish to recruit them.

For my guild, finding competent members is difficult; our server doesn't have a great player pool, and the best players have been snapped up by guilds superior to ours. I think there's players out there of *our* level who would fit well with us but it's a matter of *finding* them, and this sort of mechanic could help us greatly.

Yoshichan

Yay! Apparently I ranked second best resto druid on (normal) Will of Emperor last night :3 Haven't ranked since DS, feels pretty good.

Trickster

Why would LFR be the death of WoW? Lol.

It's for people that can't get in a guild to even run 10 mans. Or for people to gear up to run normals.

There is a reason it is SO damn easy and the gear ilvl is the lowest.

You don't HAVE to do LFR. Get a guild and run 10 man normals or if you have a guild just do it with them.

I had about the same luck getting items to drop in Heroics (I ran Siege of Nizuao so many fucking times for a trinket that dropped twice and I lost roll both times) that I wanted as I do getting useful loot in LFR.

I'd rather get a damn bag of gold than NOTHING when my item that I wanted from said boss did NOT drop. It is purely a psychological thing as Entropia said.

People cry about everything.

unless you raid with an extremely casual guild, I'm pretty certain that any raiding would expect/demand their raiders do lfr in order to get as good gear as possible.

Tarazet

I'm curious how effective it'd be to introduce an "LFR Heroic" - for want of a better name - being an LFR with the difficulty level (and rewards) of a normal raid.

The average LFR member wouldn't be up to the requirements of it, and that's fine; I'm thinking of it more from the standpoint of opening up the *challenge* of raiding to those who can't make a long-term *commitment* to it... and a nice side-effect is that it could expose such people to prospective guilds who might wish to recruit them.

For my guild, finding competent members is difficult; our server doesn't have a great player pool, and the best players have been snapped up by guilds superior to ours. I think there's players out there of *our* level who would fit well with us but it's a matter of *finding* them, and this sort of mechanic could help us greatly.

SW:ToR tried this, and they implemented it really well. They made a system that rewards players for queueing for normal mode raids on a weekly basis with currency they could trade in for better gear than was available to them, even in that raid. Normally guilds would put together a core group of tanks + healers, then pug the DPS.

This is, of course, possible only when most people have outgeared the content already. Let's say most active players are around ilevel 480 - at that point you could let people queue for a normal MSV. It also helped the progression that ToR is set up so that you can get epic gear from 4-man dungeons, with the final boss dropping better loot than the rest of the dungeon.

ToR has a lot of good ideas. Too bad the content wasn't there to support them.

Berordn

Has Blizzard mentioned any plans of rolling the "port to vale" spells into the actual teleport list in 5.1?

They acknowledged it was a bug when it launched and that it'd be fixed in a patch, but now I can't find where they said that.

They had better, is all I have to say.

This is, of course, possible only when most people have outgeared the content already. Let's say most active players are around ilevel 480 - at that point you could let people queue for a normal MSV. It also helped the progression that ToR is set up so that you can get epic gear from 4-man dungeons, with the final boss dropping better loot than the rest of the dungeon.

WoW used to do this in BC and Wrath heroics, but I don't think you could get a full set from that. I also remember a lot of bitching about welfare epics when that rolled out.

Yoshichan

7500g

Keep dropping, baby

borghe

unless you raid with an extremely casual guild, I'm pretty certain that any raiding would expect/demand their raiders do lfr in order to get as good gear as possible.

eh... I am going to move your comment one step back. "...certain that any raiding would expect/demand their raiders ... get as good gear as possible."

This has ALWAYS been true of raiding guilds. "Have you run dungeon finder to get your wand yet?" "Why aren't you gemmed and enchanted?" "Do you have stacks of food for tonight?" "Potions? Flasks? etc"

LFR is just another tool to get geared up. It's not a fault or detriment of LFR. Back in 2005 it was running Scholo, UD Strat, and UBRS 5 bajillion times while slowly working your way through MC.

I do agree with Tarazet... Heroic (final) bosses dropping 476 loot... that WAS a good mechanic from SWTOR. However... honestly normal mode MSV at 460+ ilevel actually isn't that hard. It's mechanics more than anything else. Yes higher ilevel will mitigate that, but honestly 10-man once you've exhausted gear from heroics is able to be cleared with relative ease once you have the mechanics down.

Irnbru

eh... I am going to move your comment one step back. "...certain that any raiding would expect/demand their raiders ... get as good gear as possible."

This has ALWAYS been true of raiding guilds. "Have you run dungeon finder to get your wand yet?" "Why aren't you gemmed and enchanted?" "Do you have stacks of food for tonight?" "Potions? Flasks? etc"

LFR is just another tool to get geared up. It's not a fault or detriment of LFR. Back in 2005 it was running Scholo, UD Strat, and UBRS 5 bajillion times while slowly working your way through MC.

I do agree with Tarazet... Heroic (final) bosses dropping 476 loot... that WAS a good mechanic from SWTOR. However... honestly normal mode MSV at 460+ ilevel actually isn't that hard. It's mechanics more than anything else. Yes higher ilevel will mitigate that, but honestly 10-man once you've exhausted gear from heroics is able to be cleared with relative ease once you have the mechanics down.

Pretty much, hell since we now have a geared team we 2 heal all of MSV now. It was all mechanics, which I loved so much more then DS already

Trickster

I think we agree.

You definitely don't have to have lfr gear, in order to be able to clear msv normal.

But you still HAVE to do lfr, in the sense that you're not gonna get into any kind of even semi serious guild, if you say you don't wanna do lfr because of whatever reason you have.

Mothman91

I'm literally about to get back into this game.

Who wants to scroll of resurrection me? Have never done it, but I think it has its perks.

Yoshichan

Can you add just a little bit more context to your posts?
It would be easier if you actually tried following the posts. And no, this isn't the first time you're an ass so I'm not going to bother giving you "context".

Yoshichan

I think you are confusing me with someone else.
Mm, I doubt it but I guess to your defense, there are a lot of krogans out there.

I was talking about the Royal Satchel price that's been decreasing every day (from 60k and now down to less than 10k).

borghe

Who wants to scroll of resurrection me? Have never done it, but I think it has its perks.

I can if no one else does, though I've already gotten my mount. The benefits to you though? Hell yeah. Instant 80 on one character (only restrictions are no monks, and pandas have to get to level 10 first). Free cata upgrade (if you were WOTLK or lower). Free server transfer to buddy's realm.

Definitely do not come back in without a SoR. With that being said, if someone doesn't reply to you in enough time, PM me your email address and I'll send one out.

Yoshichan

^Enjoy being in that list again. This time I won't forget :)

Are you on US? I'll send one to you :3

Bizazedo

Mm, I doubt it but I guess to your defense, there are a lot of krogans out there.

I was talking about the Royal Satchel price that's been decreasing every day (from 60k and now down to less than 10k).

Yeah, you got the wrong Krogan.

And I don't remember the posts from you about Royal Satchel price, either, so his question was valid.

Macattk15

^Enjoy being in that list again. This time I won't forget :)

Are you on US? I'll send one to you :3

I don't care.

As I said, you're insufferable. I'd prefer to be on whatever list that prevented you from interacting with me on any basis.

I could just ignore you ... but there really isn't any fun in that.

Yoshichan

What the heck did I just find? Hahaha

Nice upgrade!

QEKRw.png

Macattk15

Yeah, you got the wrong Krogan.

And I don't remember the posts from you about Royal Satchel price, either, so his question was valid.

Dude.

You didn't know?

(11-13-2012, 02:36 AM)

I love you tailors, for finally realizing that the Royal Satchel isn't worth 50k!

5 days ago: 60k
4 days ago: 50k
3 days ago: 40k
2 days ago: 30k
1 day ago: 20
today: 14,5k

Keep dropping that price! I'll buy x3 @10k

You're supposed to remember all of Yoshi's posts dating back to TWO entire days ago where he briefly mentioned prices of Royal Satchel's.

Yet someone is called an asshole asking about context.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

Irnbru

Feels like a wow forum in here, jimmies be rustling.

Can't wait to get more HOF done! Need me some tier gear! Im just 485 gear'd right now, I NEED MORE GEARZ.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
To change the topic completely.. are there any really powerful emotional quests in Mists of Pandaria? i remember being taken completely by surprise with the Honoring the Dead quest at Taurajo. A combination of the music and the looters in the backgrounds makes seeing the spirits reaction both devastating and infuriating. i thought it capped off perfectly with the flight master realizing he is dead then mounting a wyvern and taking off into the sky.

Bizazedo

To change the topic completely.. are there any really powerful emotional quests in Mists of Pandaria? i remember being taken completely by surprise with the Honoring the Dead quest at Taurajo. A combination of the music and the looters in the backgrounds makes seeing the spirits reaction both devastating and infuriating. i thought it capped off perfectly with the flight master realizing he is dead then mounting a wyvern and taking off into the sky.

Yes.

Krasarang has them.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
If I want to heal, then should I go resto druid? I already have a priest, but I really like healing. Otherwise, I guess I may level some dps up to 80 using the scroll of resurrection.

Garryk

Dread Wastes with Chen Stormstout has some good stuff.

Irnbru

Not really emotional, but I loved the kung fu training quests in four winds. Felt like Black Mamba or something, only quests I really paused for and enjoyed very throughly.

Ultratech

There's also one or two questlines in Townlong that are pretty interesting like that.

The first is part-way through some of the Yaungol stuff where you have to break out some Shado-Pan dudes only to find one guy pretty much gone. His wife/lover sees this and gets emotional and vows revenge. Sometime later, you stop at a Yaungol village which has been totally decimated by its inhabitants who were possessed by the Sha. Sure enough after some quests, you find that the guy's wife had been camping up in the village and ends up possessed by the Sha of Hatred and you have to put her down.

The second is something to do with this swamp dude and his buddies. The Yaungol are messing with the swamp, so you do some quests to help him and his buddies get back to full health and take on the main guy tormenting them. Though the dude ends up being much stronger than expected and kills them off except for the guy you found to begin with. Eventually, you kill the Yaungol dude, the swamp dude gives you a reward and fades away...he died. :(

Edit: Fixed location for accuracy.

ch0mp

Pretty much all of my guilds recruits come from pugs. We've struggled for numbers since the release of MoP, so instead of not raiding we pug the 1-2 we need. Half of them end up asking to join the guild.

Sometimes WoW quests make me feel substantially less than 'heroic.' I remember a questline in Kun'Lai where I'm asked to clear out a Yaungol encampment because they're being aggressive or something, and as I kill their leader he emotes 'We only do what we do to survive.'

What the fuck did I just do? :(

Irnbru

Sometimes WoW quests make me feel substantially less than 'heroic.' I remember a questline in Kun'Lai where I'm asked to clear out a Yaungol encampment because they're being aggressive or something, and as I kill their leader he emotes 'We only do what we do to survive.'

What the fuck did I just do? :(

Yeah that one hurt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom