• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just realized that this is the 2nd time this year that both a ME3 SP DLC and a WoW patch release the same day. Why do you do this to me Bioware & Blizzard? :(

I'm not sure what both of these developpers are trying to tell me, but i'm just going to assume that when they announce the next ME3 SP DLC release date, that the WoW patch 5.2 will also release the same day.

Rokam

God, Orgrimmar is horrible these days.

Get like 5 fps.

Time to move I guess.

Speaking of FPS, I'm on a shitty machine. Integrated grahpics, only 2 gigs of ram, it's amazing the only time I lag is on Elegon. My fps drops from 30 to like 5-10, so terrible. Every other fight I'm perfectly fine. Wish I could just disable all the sparkly graphics of his platform. Also for some reason I lag in the old world if there's a lot of trees, I know they changed them and whatever it did my computer does not like it!

lordmrw

I really wanted to believe this.

And then I did RF and got two drops in five weeks. Having been in a 25 man raid guild in Wrath might have spoiled me, but god. I know it's RNG, but it feels like I'm going nowhere.

This past week ended a six week streak of nothing but gold from mogushan, heart of fear, and sha of anger. Even during my worst bouts of luck with LFR Dragon Soul I still usually wound up with one piece of loot even if I didn't need it.

lordmrw

I started playing this 2 days ago. There was a sale on the game and expansions. $5 for battle chest, $10 for Cataclysm, and $20 for Mists of Pandaria.

I ordered online thinking I would play the Starter Edition (free trial) while I wait for it to ship. That was a mistake. Leveling is incredibly fast. I won't get my shipment until Thursday at the earliest (highly unlikely). It'll probably arrive next week. The trial limits you to level 20. I got level 20 in 2 days.

Having nothing to do, I went to try Deadmines. I was able to solo/duo it with just green quest equipment without any issues. A NeoGAF member I was playing with joined me part way through so maybe there would be issues soloing later, but I was never even close to being in trouble and never had to use any of my emergency buttons. I like that. I hope I can continue to do these solo/mostly solo for most of my leveling. I don't want to use the Dungeon Finder because I think most people playing now are long-time players who already know the dungeons and have much better equipment. It won't be fun for me and it might be annoying for them. So I think I'll just stay out of there.

I'm excited to play more but I hope the leveling slows down a bit. This next week of waiting for my shipment is going to be really hard...

Don't avoid dungeon finder. The bad stories you hear are basically the extreme, on average its usually quiet and cordial. Your story reminded me of when I first started playing in December 2008. I was anti social so I did everything alone. When I hit level 22 r so I decided to go into the Deadmines to complete the quests I had. Luckily I came across a fury warrior who had the same idea and we grouped together to totally faceroll Deadmines as a duo.

3 hours later we made it to the ship. Yes, 3 hours. By that point we came across someone just as dumb as us who was about to do the same thing so we managed to finish it as a trio. Some really cool dudes and some of the first friends I made in WOW.Moral of the story: don't be an antisocial dumb ass.

mclem

You don't need that rep for the achievement though :

zLxTN.png

You're (or at least, that screenshot is) alliance. Huojin panderen are the horde equivalent of Tushui pandaren.

mclem

Welp, back to the grind. Guild is currently on Elegon.

*Finally* downed him last night - in, as seems to be inadvertent guild tradition, the final pull of the night. 130 wipes!

Annoyingly, we could probably have done it sooner but we've suffered from lack of reliability from members - I think last night's run happened to be the first one where we've had *everyone* in the raid having had prior experience of the fight. It made a difference, clearly!

Hoping we can get some time on WotE tonight, although it's up in the air whether we have a second tank at the moment. If not, I'm sure we can dive into first boss HoF instead.

frequency

Don't avoid dungeon finder. The bad stories you hear are basically the extreme, on average its usually quiet and cordial. Your story reminded me of when I first started playing in December 2008. I was anti social so I did everything alone. When I hit level 22 r so I decided to go into the Deadmines to complete the quests I had. Luckily I came across a fury warrior who had the same idea and we grouped together to totally faceroll Deadmines as a duo.

3 hours later we made it to the ship. Yes, 3 hours. By that point we came across someone just as dumb as us who was about to do the same thing so we managed to finish it as a trio. Some really cool dudes and some of the first friends I made in WOW.Moral of the story: don't be an antisocial dumb ass.

Thank you for the advice but I'm not being antisocial. I just don't want to bother veteran players. I don't want to go into dungeon finder and be a burden on everyone because I don't know the encounters and have significantly worse gear - especially because I'm a tank.

I am playing with another NeoGAF member. We did Deadmines at 20 in like 30 minutes with no issues. I soloed partway through it with no issues too. I think it's much easier now than 2008.

I look to be part of social events on the realm (Earthen Ring). They have weekly/bi-weekly public events since it's an RP server. I'm not playing an MMO as a single player game. I just acknowledge that I'm a new player amongst veterans. I don't want to be a burden on people.

I'll use the Dungeon Finder when I'm in Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria content where there won't be such a huge gap in gear and experience/knowledge.

Kenai

God, Orgrimmar is horrible these days.

Get like 5 fps.

Time to move I guess.

Shrine of Two Moons/Seven Stars is pretty awesome and since it's restricted to high level toons the lag is less prevalent. It's missing an AH (unless you are an Engineer) but it's got just about everything else, and portals to every major city if you do need the AH.

Thank you for the advice but I'm not being antisocial. I just don't want to bother veteran players. I don't want to go into dungeon finder and be a burden on everyone because I don't know the encounters and have significantly worse gear - especially because I'm a tank.

I am playing with another NeoGAF member. We did Deadmines at 20 in like 30 minutes with no issues. I soloed partway through it with no issues too. I think it's much easier now than 2008.

I look to be part of social events on the realm (Earthen Ring). They have weekly/bi-weekly public events since it's an RP server. I'm not playing an MMO as a single player game. I just acknowledge that I'm a new player amongst veterans. I don't want to be a burden on people.

I'll use the Dungeon Finder when I'm in Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria content where there won't be such a huge gap in gear and experience/knowledge.

There really should not be this giant gear gap while doing leveling content. Even if there is it is not like the content is hard at all. I can see not wanting to do the tank think while you are fresh though.

Ultratech

Speaking of FPS, I'm on a shitty machine. Integrated grahpics, only 2 gigs of ram, it's amazing the only time I lag is on Elegon. My fps drops from 30 to like 5-10, so terrible. Every other fight I'm perfectly fine. Wish I could just disable all the sparkly graphics of his platform. Also for some reason I lag in the old world if there's a lot of trees, I know they changed them and whatever it did my computer does not like it!

Yeah, I'm having similar issues on my laptop.

If I get into like LFR and start wailing away on a boss, the FPS drops pretty dramatically.

Funny enough, I didn't have a lot of issues before the expansion (except for really "busy" places like Dragon Soul for example), but Pandaria really drops my FPS in spots.

And yeah, I have the tree issue too. Like if I try and fly up in Felwood or Feralas and hit the treeline, FPS goes to crap until I get out of it. (Trees, Trees everywhere!)

You probably won't be that much of a burden, if at all. For the most part, if you have some semblance of what to do (and you have good heals!), you'll be fine.

Hell, there's even a Dungeon Journal that has maps and tells you what all the bosses can do, as well as what they drop. And more often than not, the Dungeon Quests give you pretty good stuff for your level.

And if you're doing Quests close to your level, gear shouldn't be an issue. (Don't forget to take advantage of Dual Spec! You can utilize a Tank spec and a DPS spec!)

Dungeons are really pretty straight forward early on, and they're pretty easy nowadays.

Even for the more confusing stuff, people are likely to point you in the right direction unless they're being impatient.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You're (or at least, that screenshot is) alliance. Huojin panderen are the horde equivalent of Tushui pandaren.

Oh, i thought it was those monkeys from Jade Forest where exalted is pretty much pointless, just like the fish people with Alliance.

Just put their tabard and run dungeons, should be fast enough.

frequency

There really should not be this giant gear gap while doing leveling content. Even if there is it is not like the content is hard at all. I can see not wanting to do the tank think while you are fresh though.

Oh. I thought Heirloom stuff was way better than quest gear.

You probably won't be that much of a burden, if at all. For the most part, if you have some semblance of what to do (and you have good heals!), you'll be fine.

Hell, there's even a Dungeon Journal that has maps and tells you what all the bosses can do, as well as what they drop. And more often than not, the Dungeon Quests give you pretty good stuff for your level.

And if you're doing Quests close to your level, gear shouldn't be an issue. (Don't forget to take advantage of Dual Spec! You can utilize a Tank spec and a DPS spec!)

Dungeons are really pretty straight forward early on, and they're pretty easy nowadays.

Even for the more confusing stuff, people are likely to point you in the right direction unless they're being impatient.

Oh maybe I should go with a DPS or Healing spec and see how it goes. I can go back to tank if I'm comfortable with the fights and feel I am not lagging behind the Heirloom people.

Ezio

So, I've been trying to find the changes for rep in 5.1 but I'm too websensed at work. Can anyone briefly explain to me to changes? I'm just about to hit 90 on my monk so if they made the rep grind easier that'd be nice.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, I've been trying to find the changes for rep in 5.1 but I'm too websensed at work. Can anyone briefly explain to me to changes? I'm just about to hit 90 on my monk so if they made the rep grind easier that'd be nice.

When you hit revered you can buy some items (I assume you use them) that will grant 100% increased rep gains with that faction on all characters on your account. So it's made a bit easier but you still have to do dailies. It's just a matter of getting the rep grinds done earlier. Still think it's silly. :\

At least with wearing a tabard and dungeon grinding you could kill multiple birds with 1 stone (gear, rep and VP). Grinding dailies only gives a small amount of VP and rep.

Berordn

On reaching revered with the Pandaria daily factions, you'll be able to buy a special grand commendation that doubles rep gain for that faction on your entire account, for every character.

Applicable factions are... The Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Shado-Pan, The August Celestials, The Anglers, The Tillers, Order of the Cloud Serpent and the new Operation: Shieldwall and Dominance Offensive.

Kenai

When you hit revered you can buy some items (I assume you use them) that will grant 100% increased rep gains with that faction on all characters on your account. So it's made a bit easier but you still have to do dailies. It's just a matter of getting the rep grinds done earlier. Still think it's silly. :\

At least with wearing a tabard and dungeon grinding you could kill multiple birds with 1 stone (gear, rep and VP). Grinding dailies only gives a small amount of VP and rep.

Blizzard thought that was too easy and was also part of the reason why no one left town after the LFD system happened.

For the record, I liked tabards too and find the way Valor rewards have been working right now to not be that great (and Justice Points are just stupid), but I'm pretty sure GC said they are never going to make it that easy to get rep again at the expansion's start, though it might change from now. I don't mind the initial grind that much, but it's absolutely killed my interest at leveling alts in a timely fashion, especially since most of them are healers and a large part of dailys are "Kill _____".

I'm sure I will get more toons at 90 eventually, but I'm not doing these dailies en masse again, no way.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
5.1?

no ty, maybe another day

Ezio

So, the patch is really only helping alt characters for the most part? Also for when you hit revered. That kinda sucks, I have yet to do the rep grind in MOP as I re-rolled a monk as my main, but from what I've heard it's going to suck the life outta me.

Krogan

So our raid leader/main tank and one of our healers are taking a WoW break and the raid surprisingly nominates me as new raid leader. This is going to be fun...

Berordn

So, the patch is really only helping alt characters for the most part? Also for when you hit revered. That kinda sucks, I have yet to do the rep grind in MOP as I re-rolled a monk as my main, but from what I've heard it's going to suck the life outta me.

Not at all. There's a new faction/daily hub (that's also part of the next step of the legendary questline), the new brawler's club guild, three new scenarios per faction, and item upgrades. It's got a little sumfin' for everyone.

The extra rep with the grand commendations is a nice perk, but hardly the main draw.

The rep boost is also useful for making Revered -> Exalted easier on your main if you're into that kind of thing (and I am). Didn't finish Klaxxi and Golden Lotus yet for a reason. Though if you were really going about it hardcore, you could be exalted with everyone by now anyway.

Not at all. There's a new faction/daily hub (that's also part of the next step of the legendary questline), the new brawler's club guild, three new scenarios per faction, and item upgrades. It's got a little sumfin' for everyone.

The extra rep with the grand commendations is a nice perk, but hardly the main draw.

Although in the end it seems like the new daily hub will be the main lasting content from this patch for a big chunk of players. I will be curious when 5.2 comes out of the gate since I assume that is when we will see new raids and dungeons.

Ezio

The rep boost is also useful for making Revered -> Exalted easier on your main if you're into that kind of thing (and I am). Didn't finish Klaxxi and Golden Lotus yet for a reason. Though if you were really going about it hardcore, you could be exalted with everyone by now anyway.

Sadly with a teething 7 mouth old at home, I'm no where close to being hardcore. Hence why my monk is still 89.

Berordn

Although in the end it seems like the new daily hub will be the main lasting content from this patch for a big chunk of players. I will be curious when 5.2 comes out of the gate since I assume that is when we will see new raids and dungeons.

I'm sure the Brawler's Guild will only get more popular as time goes on and more people are able to get into it, but for the most part the Pandaria Campaign will probably be the biggest part of the patch, yeah.

Slayerx

I wonder how much invites will go for on the first day.

Also apparently eating meat is as bad as bestiality, I must be a terrible person. :( That thread.....

I know this is old to anyone who started a new Panda and went Horde... but holy crap. Had I been a new player (or just playing Horde for the first time) I would have been like... who in the fuck did I align myself with? I cringed listening to Garrosh and I've been playing Horde for the past eight years.

I know this is old to anyone who started a new Panda and went Horde... but holy crap. Had I been a new player (or just playing Horde for the first time) I would have been like... who in the fuck did I align myself with? I cringed listening to Garrosh and I've been playing Horde for the past eight years.

My buddy convinced me to roll on an Ally server and after 7 years as a member of the Horde, it didn't take much work on his part. Garrosh is a douche incarnate.

Bizazedo

Garrosh isn't the hero we want. He's the hero we need.

Bizazedo

...to die.

:).

On a serious note and not the jokey Garrosh is the man tirade, it is interesting to watch his arc, what they intended, and then the course change when they decided to finish him / bowed to public opinion.

It also helps that Vol'jin is such a badass.

Berordn

:).

On a serious note and not the jokey Garrosh is the man tirade, it is interesting to watch his arc, what they intended, and then the course change when they decided to finish him / bowed to public opinion.

It also helps that Vol'jin is such a badass.

I'm not even sure what they intended with Garrosh anymore. Obviously they needed someone to replace Thrall so he could go off and be green Jesus (and a fat lot of good that did), but as early as Wrath he was being set up to be absolutely incompetent, and everybody knew it.

Should've been Vol'jin from the start. Someone who knows how to act when the going gets rough, but isn't stupid enough to ignore diplomacy and truces.

It's going to be Aggra isn't it.

daedalius

Welp got Pandas for my wife and I for $20 each today, felt like it was a pretty decent deal.

Looking forward to seeing the new art in-game.

ZenaxPure

Also for some reason I lag in the old world if there's a lot of trees, I know they changed them and whatever it did my computer does not like it!

Do you have shadow detail cranked up? Shadows from trees in dense zones like STV and duskwood can be absolutely brutal on a lot of machines. I had the same problem so I just turned my shadows down a bit and it was like night and day, frame rate tripled in those zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom