• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelrain

So....Blizz gave me 10 free days and I quit a month after Cata launch.

I have no fucking clue what is going on with warlocks now. So many new awesome abilities that I don't know where to begin or how to play.

Knch

I have no fucking clue what is going on with warlocks now. So many new awesome abilities that I don't know where to begin or how to play.

We actually have far less to play with then we used to...
Open your spell book, check the last two tabs ("What's new/Changed" and "Howto play my class" - Sorry, can't remember the actual names anymore)

Steelrain

We actually have far less to play with then we used to...
Open your spell book, check the last two tabs ("What's new/Changed" and "Howto play my class" - Sorry, can't remember the actual names anymore)

Cool. I'll take a look once realms get back up!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish all the musics were as cool as the one that play near the temple of the White Tiger in Kun-Lai Summit or the new Horde and Alliance ones in Krasarang Wilds.

Can't stand the Vale or the main buiding of the Alliance music anymore. :( Dread Wastes and Townlong Steppes are forgettable and Jade Forest... well i rarely have to go there anymore, sucks because the music is nice there.

I actually like Windsong better than Dancing Steel as a Druid tank, since I don't give a shit about attack power and realistically, our AOE damage output is ridiculous anyway. Haste and Crit help my rage gen and extra Mastery buffs my armor for damage reduction. Seems like a win-win-win.
I've shot for River's Song as a bear. I am so over-itemized in Crit already (I don't adhere to the haste philosophy), my threat is obscene, and my DPS is always the best of the tanks, that I've effectively hit my rage generation wall and have started to focus on mitigating damage through passive means.

Ultratech

Didn't know this was a thing:

LYBGh.png

Pops on the Black Market.

Funny how that came up today, since I was watching Lv90 ETC last night, and wondered if those other guitars actually existed in-game. Wonder if the Troll guitar is there as well...

aristotle

Same here, although I'm a hunter. I "only" started playing WoW back in March or so and stopped playing May. Right now I have no idea what I've missed, where my guildies are, nor how my class plays now. I didn't finish the last set of Heroics because no one in my guild at the time was at the same lvl as me. I come back and now they're a lvl 24-25 guild. Meh.

Honestly I don't know if I should start a new class of pandarians or what. The hunter skills were always a PITA to play properly and now it doesn't seem any better. I just want to go in and kill stuff without dying constantly. I don't really want to tank either since people will look to me to know dungeons and such (which I know nothing about). I don't know what class to start or what my playstyle even is. :(

Number45

Whenever I leave the game for a bit, I start over. Usually so much has changed that it's worth it (as I learn far better as I level), and I actually enjoy starting afresh on a new realm.

Tarazet

I've shot for River's Song as a bear. I am so over-itemized in Crit already (I don't adhere to the haste philosophy), my threat is obscene, and my DPS is always the best of the tanks, that I've effectively hit my rage generation wall and have started to focus on mitigating damage through passive means.

You're right about threat production. It's so silly that I often have to stop attacking completely for tank-swaps, even if the other tank taunted. I actually went fairly conservative on offensive stats, with a lot more gemming and enchanting for Stam and Expertise, and I've still finished Terrace LFR's in the top 3 for overall damage. With the new 12% physical damage reduction in 5.1, I feel a lot more survivable now too. On some encounters it's almost broken.

aristotle

Are the new classes fun though? I liked playing hunter because I could stand back and still do my part. I could try a healer, but I like to thrown in with fights as well. I've been tempted to try out a rogue as well, although I don't know hard they are to manage in a dungeon/raid setting. I'll probably have to play PvE all the way through to 90 before I can even tempt to play with the rest of my guild (if they're even around anymore). I feel bad for being a newbie when a game has been out this long lol.

Number45

If you want to stand back you could try a mage/warlock, and if you want to try a healer and still do some damage you can try a monk or priest (disc spec).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I accepted the quest in the Operation: Shieldwall quest line to travel to Dalaran and
punt the Sunreavers
. After some fiddeling with auto unstuck, I accessed the area below (which cannot be reached if you haven't completed a certain quest). I'll post images if I find anything interesting. The most apparent thing is that the only "landmass" in this instance itself is Dalaran, for Crystalsong Forest is not below, instead there's just water with weird shapes and textures.

You can fish in the fountain, and you can get coins, as well as Fountain Goldfish of course. The guild bank also works. Apart from that, I haven't found anything interesting really. The mobs drop some cooking ingredients (Red Blossom Leek primarily) and Mote of Harmony frequently.

Tip: If you escape the balcony before completing the quest The Fate of Dalaran, there is no portal back to the balcony (as there usually is in The Violet Citadel). I'm currently stuck here with nowhere to go. If you can get back to the balcony via the portal in Lion's Landing I don't know, but I'll look into it.

Are the new classes fun though? I liked playing hunter because I could stand back and still do my part. I could try a healer, but I like to thrown in with fights as well. I've been tempted to try out a rogue as well, although I don't know hard they are to manage in a dungeon/raid setting. I'll probably have to play PvE all the way through to 90 before I can even tempt to play with the rest of my guild (if they're even around anymore). I feel bad for being a newbie when a game has been out this long lol.

Sounds like you should play a mage. Kind of a noob class but still very fun, lots of functionality in spells, ranged dps, three very different specs

aristotle

If you want to stand back you could try a mage/warlock, and if you want to try a healer and still do some damage you can try a monk or priest (disc spec).

Sounds like you should play a mage. Kind of a noob class but still very fun, lots of functionality in spells, ranged dps, three very different specs

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I have a few spots left, I may do several builds. I kind of want to try the monk at least since it's new and probably add in a rogue & a mage. They all sound fun and different from my hunter.

Lost much of my will to play right now. Finished the main Townlong storyline but I feel stupidly weak at lvl 89 (monk), a few adds can seriously ruin my day, and I still have rather good gear for my level (item level 430 I believe). On top of having wasted 18k on the BG invitation on a character I don't want to play right now, I can't find any gear upgrades in the AH, and got no new dungeons or skills or anything at 89. So I have a grind to 90 to look forward to, and then doing it all over AGAIN or spending another 10+k gold to get started on the solo stuff.

Bizazedo

Lost much of my will to play right now. Finished the main Townlong storyline but I feel stupidly weak at lvl 89 (monk), a few adds can seriously ruin my day, and I still have rather good gear for my level (item level 430 I believe). On top of having wasted 18k on the BG invitation on a character I don't want to play right now, I can't find any gear upgrades in the AH, and got no new dungeons or skills or anything at 89. So I have a grind to 90 to look forward to, and then doing it all over AGAIN or spending another 10+k gold to get started on the solo stuff.

You're almost there. Get to Heroics / Sha kills / get VP and it'll change dramatically.

And the opposing mobs get hilariously weak as you ramp up. 430 isn't really great, BUT, as I said, you will grow in power quickly.

ampere

You're right about threat production. It's so silly that I often have to stop attacking completely for tank-swaps, even if the other tank taunted. I actually went fairly conservative on offensive stats, with a lot more gemming and enchanting for Stam and Expertise, and I've still finished Terrace LFR's in the top 3 for overall damage. With the new 12% physical damage reduction in 5.1, I feel a lot more survivable now too. On some encounters it's almost broken.

I'm pretty certain that was hotfixed a long time ago and 5.1 was a tooltip update.

Are you leveling as Windwalker? Use Chi Wave as your level 30 talent and the talent Leg Sweep. Use Chi Wave frequently and Expel Harm when it won't overheal much, and alternate Fists of Fury and Leg Sweep to keep mobs stunned. Enemies in Townlong and Dread Wastes hit pretty hard, but with those abilities your survivability shouldn't be an issue.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw this on MMO-champion.

Patch 5.2 might make the current Lesser Charms less valuable to discourage hoarding and the need to farm them before the patch.

One idea being considered is not allowing upgrades of Patch 5.2 gear until Patch 5.3.

Both of these seem like horrible ideas to me, really hope they don't happen.

Rokam

Tak-Tak seems to know a lot... doesn't bode well for his survival. If you horde haven't been using him to taxi you to the various storyline quests for the Dominance Offensive, for shame!

But, but.

I don't want to be a LFR hero! :(

I want my sparkly new Sha gem to go into a fresh set of normal mode claws of Shek'zeer. I don't even know if anyone on my server has downed her yet, and I'm not raiding normals because my guild decided to add a day to the schedule, which is on my last working day.

Bleah.

But, but.

I don't want to be a LFR hero! :(

I want my sparkly new Sha gem to go into a fresh set of normal mode claws of Shek'zeer. I don't even know if anyone on my server has downed her yet, and I'm not raiding normals because my guild decided to add a day to the schedule, which is on my last working day.

Bleah.

I'm in an identical boat. The largest disappointment for me this expansion is that cross-realm raids aren't implemented for current-tier content. My guild is running raids on weekends and east coast schedules exclusively so all I can do is LFR. Reasons to quit WoW are stacking up quickly.

Ultratech

Uh...why am I getting another update or something?

On top of that, the official forums seem to be down...

The hell is going on?

Working on it. It's AMAZING how many people want to raid on weekdays. I'd think Saturday/Sunday raiding would be more popular.

I prefer weekdays because I'm home and I don't have plans to leave. Weekends I like to go out and do things. I'd imagine its the same for a lot of others too.

I prefer weekdays because I'm home and I don't have plans to leave. Weekends I like to go out and do things. I'd imagine its the same for a lot of others too.

I do too, but I work swing shifts so it just makes my scheduling funky. My server always has absurd crowds on weekends, so I'm still not sure why I've only come across one or two raid guilds (so far) that have a Sat/Sun schedule.

I might have to transfer. :(

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Got Sha down tonight, pretty easy. We did it in 4 attempts, 3 of those were us trying to see if we could 3 heal it. Once we saw that we couldn't, we 2-healed it and got the kill.

Hoplatee

How easy is it to tank as Warrior nowadays? Most importantly - 5 man tanking. I played raid tank for years till mid Wrath when I stopped playing so it's not like I am completely clueless but yeah, looks like you use rage now to protect yourself from harm?

V-Gief

How easy is it to tank as Warrior nowadays? Most importantly - 5 man tanking. I played raid tank for years till mid Wrath when I stopped playing so it's not like I am completely clueless but yeah, looks like you use rage now to protect yourself from harm?
The short version is using the rage for shieldblock vs physical dmg and shield barrier for magical dmg or dmg that low enough to be absorbed completely. Shockwave for the AoE stun and breathing room as well.

EDIT: Oh and tanking 5 mans in general is quite easy, no matter what class you want to tank on. Pretty straight forward if you are somewhat familiar with the tanking role.

Hoplatee

The short version is using the rage for shieldblock vs physical dmg and shield barrier for magical dmg or dmg that low enough to be absorbed completely. Shockwave for the AoE stun and breathing room as well.

EDIT: Oh and tanking 5 mans in general is quite easy, no matter what class you want to tank on. Pretty straight forward if you are somewhat familiar with the tanking role.

Thanks, sounds simple enough then. :)

e) Also have some Resto Druid somewhere. Guess that is pretty easy for 5 mans as well then?

V-Gief

Thanks, sounds simple enough then. :)

e) Also have some Resto Druid somewhere. Guess that is pretty easy for 5 mans as well then?
Pretty much. Keeping bloom and rejuv up, swiftmending when needed and regrowth for when you need the extra oomph. At least for normals. Never bothered to get my resto druid into heroics :)

mclem

Funny how that came up today, since I was watching Lv90 ETC last night, and wondered if those other guitars actually existed in-game. Wonder if the Troll guitar is there as well...

A boss was added to Karazhan for a fortnight prior to Wrath, and he dropped an axe with (what I assume is) that on-use effect.

Ultratech

Male Pandaren are enormous as well, find it particularly evident in raids. The scale is just different from other races.

This is something that always bothered me in BC raids. The NPCs in TK and BT are giants compared to your characters. (I don't have a pic available, but I took a pic with me and Maiev in the Illidan fight, and she's literally twice my size as a Troll.)

A boss was added to Karazhan for a fortnight prior to Wrath, and he dropped an axe with (what I assume is) that on-use effect.

Yup. The Arcanite Ripper. Also in the Black Market as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is something that always bothered me in BC raids. The NPCs in TK and BT are giants compared to your characters. (I don't have a pic available, but I took a pic with me and Maiev in the Illidan fight, and she's literally twice my size as a Troll.)

They said the reason they do that is for gameplay purpose. So that its easier to target and see. It has been like that for a long time, not just with BC. Same reason as to why cities and buildings are so small and not to scale with everything else, for gameplay purposes.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Someone shoot me down on this.. was discussing PvP vs PvE with a work buddy and how one is always effecting the other.

You think it is technically possible to do the following, or would it be way too much work.

Spec Changes

Add a 3rd spec that is a PVP spec only. Make it so that PVP gear does not work unless you are IN this spec and if you PVP in a different one, you are significantly crippled.

This "spec" would also have PVP themed talents.

Gear Changes

Give people starter PVP gear like we get starter PVE gear so they can jump right in at X level. Have PVP based bonuses linked to the spec so that x number of pvp gear slots filled = plus resil/pvp power, all slots pvp gear = more. Also adding bonuses for better PVP iLvl gear as well.

Have PVP based Glyph choices that only are available in the PVP spec.

Spells/Abilities

This is where we stopped arguing about it because my friend thought it was a silly discussion lol.

Spells/abilities would be the hardest part to fiddle with. It would not make sense to change or add spells/abilities for the PVP spec, but the spell/ability could be based off of checks against spec, gear, etc.

Anyway you get the idea.

FYI, he plays a Druid main and a Warlock alt. I play Mage main, rogue alt. If that matters ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom