• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
About two months ago I came into this thread asking for help to remember how to tank after not having played warrior in 4 years and getting ROF'd to 80.

I'm not ready to start tanking LFR. I can do heroics with my eyes closed, but I'm still so scared. Someone hold me.

Start with the LFRs you overgear. Read up on the wing you queue for, talk to the other tank. Don't be afraid to rerun it even if it's for 45 valor instead of 90, just to get practice.

Pure rage when your alts get more gear than your main.

Well I'm trying to get gear for my alts mostly right now. Celestials and Ordos have nothing for my main (and hell, even reg SoO doesn't really have anything either besides sidegrades unless they're Warforged). Mage who I dinged yesterday is up to like 491 now. Unfortunately didn't get anything off Celestials or Ordos for him which would have been a huge boon.

Tendo

Start with the LFRs you overgear. Read up on the wing you queue for, talk to the other tank. Don't be afraid to rerun it even if it's for 45 valor instead of 90, just to get practice.

That has been my mindset too. I'm in no rush to hit SoO. I want to learn mechanics, awareness, and enjoy the content. I want to be an asset not a burden - that is why I love being a tank. Going to try it out tomorrow and see how it goes!

ampere

I like the War CM set, but never found a shield or weapon to go with it. Poor Warrior is still rocking 463s

Thanks for all the great advice I got a few pages back! I managed to pull through Hellfire and Zangrarmarsh (horrible by all means) and get myself to Nagrand which was absolutely beautiful. I then ran some dungeons mixed with questing and it went way faster than before. I just reached Howling Fjord, and it's stunning. By far the most hyped I've ever been for a zone before, so really looking forward to questing there. The boat ride from Menethil was gorgeous.

Glad you liked Nagrand, awesome. I could stare at that skybox for a long time.

Welp. Due to low attendance from people "winding down" after we got our normal Garrosh kill, the current guild has suspended 25-man raiding until WoD. Looks like I'll be looking for a new guild in the mean time since I'm interested in pushing at least some heroics. Shame since I otherwise have enjoyed the guild, so I hope we can part amicably.

Touchdown

Banned
Anyone have an easy strat for Garrosh 10man normal for 2nd phase? My team is getting through phase 1 fine but phase 2 is a mess. We have 2 healer setup (holy pally / disc priest).

Rokam

Welp. Due to low attendance from people "winding down" after we got our normal Garrosh kill, the current guild has suspended 25-man raiding until WoD. Looks like I'll be looking for a new guild in the mean time since I'm interested in pushing at least some heroics. Shame since I otherwise have enjoyed the guild, so I hope we can part amicably.

I'm sure there are some like minded people in your guild that you could try to do 10 mans with!

potam

Banned
Man, the itch is starting to come back. What is the current gearing up path to take? If I do come back I'll be leveling up some fresh characters and maybe doing some casual PvP.

And there aren't any free gametime promos floating around are there?

Man, the itch is starting to come back. What is the current gearing up path to take? If I do come back I'll be leveling up some fresh characters and maybe doing some casual PvP.

And there aren't any free gametime promos floating around are there?

If you're starting completely fresh with a new account you get a month of game time with the battle chest, I'm pretty certain. And if you're doing that you should have someone send you a recruit-a-friend for the bonuses that come with that. I wouldn't mind sending you a Recruit-a-Friend e-mail if that's the path you're taking.

As for gearing up once you hit 90 (or some classes I think go even earlier) you generally just go to the Timeless Isle where there's a high chance of getting random high level gear from finding chests and killing monsters. And then that leads into raiding.

potam

Banned
If you're starting completely fresh with a new account you get a month of game time with the battle chest, I'm pretty certain. And if you're doing that you should have someone send you a recruit-a-friend for the bonuses that come with that. I wouldn't mind sending you a Recruit-a-Friend e-mail if that's the path you're taking.

As for gearing up once you hit 90 (or some classes I think go even earlier) you generally just go to the Timeless Isle where there's a high chance of getting random high level gear from finding chests and killing monsters. And then that leads into raiding.

I'm using my old account. I just meant that I want to do the 1-90 grind on a new character. I still haven't capped a warlock or warrior, so I'd probably go with that. I'm just wary that one of two things will happen: either I'll resub and go crazy again, ignoring every other game for the next six months, or I'll resub and realize I'm completely done with the game and be $15 out of pocket.

I'm using my old account. I just meant that I want to do the 1-90 grind on a new character. I still haven't capped a warlock or warrior, so I'd probably go with that. I'm just wary that one of two things will happen: either I'll resub and go crazy again, ignoring every other game for the next six months, or I'll resub and realize I'm completely done with the game and be $15 out of pocket.

When was the last time you played? There's a ton of content and if you haven't done the Cataclysm leveling process from 1-60 that'll be a treat for an older player coming back since it's mostly all improved and has some pretty good story bits in particular zones. Odds are if you feel like you need to move on it'll be when repeating content going through Outlands or maybe Wrath if you're overly familiar with the zones.

Mists of Pandaria is commonly agreed to be excellent so once you get to that content it could really suck you in.

potam

Banned
When was the last time you played? There's a ton of content and if you haven't done the Cataclysm leveling process from 1-60 that'll be a treat for an older player coming back since it's mostly all improved and has some pretty good story bits in particular zones. Odds are if you feel like you need to move on it'll be when repeating content going through Outlands or maybe Wrath if you're overly familiar with the zones.

Mists of Pandaria is commonly agreed to be excellent so once you get to that content it could really suck you in.

I've done MoP. Never got into raiding aside from LFR, but I've got 4 or 5 90s. I should probably just wait for WoD to release or until like a month out.

Spent all night wiping on heroic Immerseus. We finally got one good attempt in late, but then I fucked up and didn't ice block during phase 2 when I soaked a puddle away from everyone >_<.

I'm sure there are some like minded people in your guild that you could try to do 10 mans with!

I'm not really into 10s too much.

Luckily there seem to be a couple guilds recruiting that might fit, albeit some have late (for me) raid times. And like 2 of the 3 guilds I'm looking at are weekend ones which I've never had a great taste for, but we'll see.

Rokam

Pure rage when your alts get more gear than your main.

My scumbag rogue that I just use for LW has done the first part of SoO LFR twice, and the 2nd part once, 2 weapons, 2 trinkets, meanwhile Ordos has coughed up nearly every piece of agility gear for him. I'm sitting at 542 ilvl (no cloak) and just did the 3rd part of Siege tonight. Meanwhile my mage cannot get the trinket off of Shaman to save his life, have gotten 3 necks though.

1up

Finally got H Blackfuse down after about 160+ attempts. It's nice to be able to do a different fight but looking at Paragons and it seems like it might be another month of struggling before we get it down.

scoobs

Finally got H Blackfuse down after about 160+ attempts. It's nice to be able to do a different fight but looking at Paragons and it seems like it might be another month of struggling before we get it down.

you and me both friend... its a grind

Well I submitted my app for a new guild. Has multiple raid teams but the one I'm going for does 12-3 AM EST Fridays and Saturdays. Bit late, but since it's the weekend not too bad. Can always sleep in on those days without having to worry about missing a class or anything.

The raid team I'm applying for just wrapped Garrosh 25 a week or two ago as well, so it should be a good fit, starting heroics with them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well I submitted my app for a new guild. Has multiple raid teams but the one I'm going for does 12-3 AM EST Fridays and Saturdays. Bit late, but since it's the weekend not too bad. Can always sleep in on those days without having to worry about missing a class or anything.

The raid team I'm applying for just wrapped Garrosh 25 a week or two ago as well, so it should be a good fit, starting heroics with them.
Nice. If you get accepted, you'll have a good foundation for Mythic as well.

Khezu

Playing Diablo 3 being reminded why I hate this game, the series, and all its clone.

That said, Demon Hunter is a cool class, and has a lot of things I want WoW hunters to get, like Dual Crossbows, and caultraps, and more arrow attacks.

Also one of our level 100 talents is just a copy past of a demon hunter skill heh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Playing Diablo 3 being reminded why I hate this game, the series, and all its clone.

That said, Demon Hunter is a cool class, and has a lot of things I want WoW hunters to get, like Dual Crossbows, and caultraps, and more arrow attacks.

Also one of our level 100 talents is just a copy past of a demon hunter skill heh.

Diablo III 2.0 is awesome, but ok. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Starting to see why they want to remove some skills in WoD

Do we really need Magma Totem AND Fire Nova? I thought when they got rid of Fire Nova totem they were just getting rid of it, but they just turned it into an ability instead.

ampere

Starting to see why they want to remove some skills in WoD

Do we really need Magma Totem AND Fire Nova? I thought when they got rid of Fire Nova totem they were just getting rid of it, but they just turned it into an ability instead.

Yeah Fire Nova never disappeared completely. They need to get rid of Magma and Searing Totems though. Fire Elemental should be the only fire totem.

It was never that fun to re-drop Searing. It'd be cool if they ditch it and give Ele and Enhance something cool to do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't want to lose searing totem because it's such a cool part of what being a shaman is, but it's so ineffective with the way WoW works now with the emphasis on mobility.

I guess it would be OP, but I'd like to see the following happen to searing.
•All threat it generates is directed to the caster, so you don't have to worry about losing it so often.
OR
•Take it off the GCD.

That's the big problem is that it's just awkward to cast constantly.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the fire totems as they stand right now either. Magma especially is extremely awkward as Elemental unless you take the talent for repositioning totems and even then, I don't think it's really worth the GCDs over just more Chain Lightning spam.

And the fact that you REALLY need to set up a WeakAura (or similar) just to keep track of searing totem is just bad design at this point.

At worst I see them condensing magma and searing into one ability, possibly just removing both altogether.

And speaking of totems in general, dear god is there bloat there now. TBH the previous system (at least when you could drop 4 at once) was better than the absurd amount niche totems there are to keep track of now.

We'll definitely seeing them be trimmed if not outright gutted, especially when Shamans have as much of a kit as any other class besides.

Healing stream, for one will almost certainly be gone, in favor of just having healing tide as a major CD.

Rokam

Rogue's first Malygos kill and I get Azure Drake. Hooray don't need to do EoE anymore. Slowly whittling down the instances I need to run.

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks for all the great advice I got a few pages back! I managed to pull through Hellfire and Zangrarmarsh (horrible by all means) and get myself to Nagrand which was absolutely beautiful. I then ran some dungeons mixed with questing and it went way faster than before. I just reached Howling Fjord, and it's stunning. By far the most hyped I've ever been for a zone before, so really looking forward to questing there. The boat ride from Menethil was gorgeous.

Northrend in general is probably my single favorite place in all of gaming in audio-visual terms. You're in for a treat the whole through.

ampere

I don't want to lose searing totem because it's such a cool part of what being a shaman is, but it's so ineffective with the way WoW works now with the emphasis on mobility.

I guess it would be OP, but I'd like to see the following happen to searing.
&#8226;All threat it generates is directed to the caster, so you don't have to worry about losing it so often.
OR
&#8226;Take it off the GCD.

That's the big problem is that it's just awkward to cast constantly.
Off GCD would be kind of nice, but then you could just macro it to something.

I'd like to see them make it feel better to use if it stays in the game. I do agree that it looks cool.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the fire totems as they stand right now either. Magma especially is extremely awkward as Elemental unless you take the talent for repositioning totems and even then, I don't think it's really worth the GCDs over just more Chain Lightning spam.

And the fact that you REALLY need to set up a WeakAura (or similar) just to keep track of searing totem is just bad design at this point.

At worst I see them condensing magma and searing into one ability, possibly just removing both altogether.

And speaking of totems in general, dear god is there bloat there now. TBH the previous system (at least when you could drop 4 at once) was better than the absurd amount niche totems there are to keep track of now.

We'll definitely seeing them be trimmed if not outright gutted, especially when Shamans have as much of a kit as any other class besides.

Healing stream, for one will almost certainly be gone, in favor of just having healing tide as a major CD.

Agree about totems in general. In BC I had like 40 totems but it was mostly about picking the 4 I needed at the time, only the Fire/Earth Elementals had CDs IIRC.

Healing Stream is a huge part of Resto Shaman's healing kit right now. I'd personally be really surprised if they cut it.

Rogue's first Malygos kill and I get Azure Drake. Hooray don't need to do EoE anymore. Slowly whittling down the instances I need to run.
You aware Malygos drops two mounts? Also drops the blue drake. Might be that you only want the azure, though.

Off GCD would be kind of nice, but then you could just macro it to something.

I'd like to see them make it feel better to use if it stays in the game. I do agree that it looks cool.
Taking searing totem off the GCD would remove any thought at all to using it. I really like having to time the refresh when I have a small break in cooldowns lining up between all my abilities to optimize as best as possible.

If they were to remove a fire totem I would expect magma to be the one to go. Searing has its use for building stacks for flame lash. Magma is just flat aoe dps and doesn't really add much that couldn't be handled by bumping up aoe damage with other abilities.

I seem to recall that when the T16 bonuses were first shown for shamans they talked about the 4p bonus being a bit of a test in improving enhance shaman aoe abilities so perhaps something like that 4p bonus could be fitted into a baseline ability which would improve aoe and then lessen the need for the magma totem.

I hate the magma totem. I tend to forget it and just stick to searing even when it's a big aoe pull.

I expect wind and earth totems will see the most changes. Hell, I think it'd be pretty awesome if each element had three totems, one of which was elemental. Just need wind and our own water elemental!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Healing Stream is a huge part of Resto Shaman's healing kit right now. I'd personally be really surprised if they cut it.

I think Blizzard wants to get rid of the 'set and forget' type of spells like HST is. I'm surprised if they get rid of it in favor of using HTT as a raid healing CD.

Got that way back in Wrath when they added the bag to Occulus.
You lucky duck. That's my last solo-able dungeon and raid mount so Malygos dies at my hand every week. This week wasn't successful, of course.

Guess they have to give me some reason to be excited to log on every Tuesday!

ampere

I hate the magma totem. I tend to forget it and just stick to searing even when it's a big aoe pull.

I expect wind and earth totems will see the most changes. Hell, I think it'd be pretty awesome if each element had three totems, one of which was elemental. Just need wind and our own water elemental!

Yeah Magma plain sucks and can get wrapped into Searing. Hoping that happens at least.

I think Blizzard wants to get rid of the 'set and forget' type of spells like HST is. I'm surprised if they get rid of it in favor of using HTT as a raid healing CD.
Ya, true. I like the gameplay of using HST and glyphed recall to get all the mana back, but to be fair I never really raided on my Shaman this expac so I'm not sure how other Resto mains feel about the totem. Monks are losing Healing Sphere which I was kind of shocked about so I could be wrong with HST.

Totems do seem like the big place for potential ability cuts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Female pandaren idle animation facial expressions pretty much sums up my feelings when certain people on vent talk too much.

Matchew

I'm starting WoW for the very first time with the starter edition to see if I like it. Whats the best range class? Any tricks I should know?

Matchew

Mages are always a safe bet.

Even though they think they're not for some reason.

ummm..it's still installing so I haven't check it out but is there a good range class with bows? I know nothing about WoW going in blind. As mostly a solo player would mage be best or a range class that uses bows?

I'm starting WoW for the very first time with the starter edition to see if I like it. Whats the best range class? Any tricks I should know?

Warlocks are the easiest to level. Hunters are after that. Mages can be hard at lower levels until you get more defensive cooldowns. Balance Druids are surprisingly easy. It's nearly impossible to die as a Discipline Priest once you get Atonement, but Shadow is a little faster. Elemental Shaman are pretty meh.

Think I covered everything.

Edit: Hunters are the only class that uses bows.

Jag

ummm..it's still installing so I haven't check it out but is there a good range class with bows? I know nothing about WoW going in blind. As mostly a solo player would mage be best or a range class that uses bows?

Hunters are by far the easiest class to learn. You also get a pet that can attack the bad guy while you attack at range. It is also probably the most common class, but a good one to start with. I'm still playing my same hunter I rolled when the game first launched.

I've played every class in the game, most to max level, but I always go back to my hunter.

Fjordson

ummm..it's still installing so I haven't check it out but is there a good range class with bows?
Yeah, hunters use bows (and guns and crossbows). Pretty solid all-around class I think, been my main for the last four years. You also get a pet which helps a ton when solo'ing content. The pet can act as a tank while you sit back and DPS your target from afar.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Mmm. Got mage above 496 and getting carried through SoO LFR. Purified Bindings of Immerseus on bonus roll. So good.

6ovi8N4.gif

flex and lfr immerseus every week on my lock and still nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom