• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
smart heals have no place in the game and should be removed completely not just nerfed. same with absorbs and dps-healing.

There has to be some at least semi-smart heals, otherwise things like chain heal would be pretty worthless.

Peachpies

Smart heals, hybrid heals and absorption have every place in a game with combat that guarantees X-amount of damage per second to players, with enough spike damage that can kill a player at any moment.

If they do good on their promise to get rid of the latter, we can talk about removing the former.
did you read the blog post today? And they absolutely do not, what does it matter if someone is taking x-amount of damage per second why cant you heal them normally? what spike damage can kill someone at any moment? Or do you mean spike damage can kill someone before a bad healer can heal them so we need smart heals, absorbs and atonement/eminence so everyone can pretend to be good. And stuff like chain heal you have to atleast target someone and it has a more limited jump range.

ampere

Remember when they tried this in Cata?!?!

I loved healing at the start of Cata... :p. Actually had to pick the right spell, help interrupt, dispel quickly.

It was probably too hard in general though.

smart heals have no place in the game and should be removed completely not just nerfed. same with absorbs and dps-healing.

I disagree. I think smart heals have a place, but they have to be weaker than player controlled heals or intelligent decision making goes out the window. Dumbing down smart heals to pick injured players rather than the most injured player will help a lot.

Berordn

did you read the blog post today?

Yes. And they've talked like this before, going into both Cata and MoP where healing ends up feeling awful because they made these drastic changes to healing without going over the encounter design. Healing is more than just filling bars anyway, it's about ensuring suitability in the group. Absorption and the myriad of cooldowns at a healer's disposal go a long way for that.

Peachpies

if you have one set of heals that is strong and one set of heals that is weak you take the stronger one you dont do some kind of compromise. If they keep stuff like atonement and absorbs you are only going to see 1-2 types of healers in mythic raids.

Berordn

if you have one set of heals that is strong and one set of heals that is weak you take the stronger one you dont do some kind of compromise. If they keep stuff like atonement and absorbs you are only going to see 1-2 types of healers in mythic raids.

Or they could properly balance it to keep the variety without removing the viability. The two can coexist, just balance the cost of the heal appropriately without removing viability from other heals as well.

Peachpies

you cant though, there isnt some magic value at which a heal is worse then other heals but still worth using over the other better heal.

ampere

Well, they said the goal is that people will be sitting between 0 and 100% at a lot more, so direct heals will have a place and absorbs will have a place.

Also, absorbs are losing potency and smart heals are losing intelligence and efficiency. I think these changes will go a long way to balance healing types.

I certainly agree that player controlled direct healing should be the most powerful and efficient if used intelligently.

Berordn

you cant though, there isnt some magic value at which a heal is worse then other heals but still worth using over the other better heal.

Yes, you can and all healers should do this - it's all judgement calls based on outgoing damage, mana pools and the state of the encounter. Just because Divine Light is a better heal than Holy Light doesn't mean I'm going to start spamming it, because there's other factors involved.

There's some complexity when you get to something like Atonement because it's *too* good in regards to how it works with Discipline's other passive effects. There's ways to address it that would allow you to keep it in the game without removing all of its viability, i.e. altering its interactions with Aigis or modifying traditional casts.

ampere

Yeah the reason Atonement is too good right now (though not as good as it was earlier in the expac) is because it heals the lowest health player automatically, it's mana efficient, and it does damage.

The changes mean it heals a random player missing HP and isn't as mana efficient. You'd still do Atonement during periods of low incoming damage or if you have excess mana to burn, but you wouldn't just spam it like you could during parts of MoP.

Berordn

Yeah the reason Atonement is too good right now (though not as good as it was earlier in the expac) is because it heals the lowest health player automatically, it's mana efficient, and it does damage.

The changes mean it heals a random player missing HP and isn't as mana efficient. You'd still do Atonement during periods of low incoming damage or if you have excess mana to burn, but you wouldn't just spam it like you could during parts of MoP.

It works in both directions though, as the only reason to even consider using Light of Dawn as it is on live is the smart healing in the event multiple players are on the verge of death, as it's otherwise a waste of the GCD and HP where you could be healing them with Eternal Flame instead. If they keep it as it is and add the cast time I'll never use it.

I'm not too into healing but I'm curious as to how they'll make it so you're sitting in the middle of your health pool more often. I mean they can't have Anub'arak-esque mechanics on every fight can they?

Otherwise it seems like it would take some miraculous tuning that'd fall apart after a tier or so anyway.

ampere

It works in both directions though, as the only reason to even consider using Light of Dawn as it is on live is the smart healing in the event multiple players are on the verge of death, as it's otherwise a waste of the GCD and HP where you could be healing them with Eternal Flame instead. If they keep it as it is and add the cast time I'll never use it.

Yeah, fair enough. Make AoE heals too dumb and why ever use them.

There will obviously be a lot of iteration on these changes, needless to say I am hyped to try them out in beta.

I'm not too into healing but I'm curious as to how they'll make it so you're sitting in the middle of your health pool more often. I mean they can't have Anub'arak-esque mechanics on every fight can they?

Otherwise it seems like it would take some miraculous tuning that'd fall apart after a tier or so anyway.

Hmm let me try to come up with a scenario: They could conceivably have AoE damage go out that hits everyone for 50% every 2 minutes, then softer AoE for a while, and if people had to spread out due to another mechanic they'd have to get healed up with single target heals. Perhaps a situation like that?

Also, they did say that heals will heal for less % of max HP, so it won't be so quick to heal everyone back to full, therefore more time spent at lower %.

Berordn

Why does all monk gear have to look awful.

I like all three monk tiers so far :(

T15 helm is kinda out there, admittedly. T16 is a bit plain but so is every other class's set.

Plus, dat S13:

S13-Monk-Horde.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they're going to make life harder for heals, they should make it harder for everyone.

Make tanking way harder instead of threat basically just being given to you like how it used to be.

ampere

If they're going to make life harder for heals, they should make it harder for everyone.

Make tanking way harder instead of threat basically just being given to you like how it used to be.

They said the goal was not to make healing harder, but more about intelligent decision making than reaction time.

See two Watcher (encounter designer) tweets to clarify intent.

The did make tanking a lot harder from Cata -> MoP. Also a lot better. It does not need another revamp, just some vengeance changes which they are making. Threat was never very difficult, and now tanking is about using active mitigation intelligently to mitigate spike damage, and absorb and heal.

Khezu

Watching a WoD video that showed the hunter talent tree.

Lynx rush is gone and replaced with Stampede....ok.

Bola shot, with or with out you, and snipe are gone.

Now we have Flaming Shots, which make our auto shots do 80% weapon damage as fire damage.

Focusing shot, which is basically snipe, 3 second cast and does 100% weapon damage, and generates 75 focus. Lower damage then snipe, but gives 15 more focus.

Versatility, basically the BM portion of with or with out you, 70% combat experience, and you get all pet abilities regardless of spec.

Man, I liked the idea of Bola, shame to see it go.

EDIT: Actually with or with out your might still be in, since he was BM when he was selecting talents.
Also Aspect of the Iron Hawk, is just called Iron Hawk now, so maybe aspects are gone?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In my stride to make the game as ugly as possible, for frame rate purposes, I today noticed a peculiar difference between the two following console variables:

Code:
baseMip 1

basemip <1

Mipmaps are used for speeding up rendering times, improving the texture quality and reducing stress on GPU. Anyway, the difference between the values above is quite major. Here are some comparisons:

basemip 1

wow_basemip_209rjoz.png

basemip <1 (here 0.99)

wow_basemip_21dkof9.png

basemip 1

wow_basemip_22t6qot.png

basemip <1 (here 0.99)

wow_basemip_23meo10.png

basemip 1

wow_basemip_24jlpza.png

basemip <1 (here 0.99)

wow_basemip_25k6o87.png

basemip 1

wow_basemip_x3c3jtn.png

basemip <1 (here 0.99)

wow_basemip_x4zkkop.png

And here are some random screenshots I've taken, with basemip set to 1. The two first have been scaled from 640x480 to 1280x960 to better show how this looks in fullscreen. The consecutive images however are in 640x480.

wow_basemip_14jj8t.png

wow_basemip_2v4ksp.png

wow_basemip_3ptk3v.png

wow_basemip_4v6krg.png

wow_basemip_5wmksx.png

wow_basemip_6p6jxi.png

wow_basemip_7ewj9p.png

wow_basemip_8z2ja6.png

wow_basemip_9yektt.png

wow_basemip_x067k4s.png

wow_basemip_x1xnkun.png

wow_basemip_x21mjvv.png

wow_basemip_x575jtk.png

wow_basemip_x6tbkcy.png

wow_basemip_x7bnkyr.png

wow_basemip_x8pyjff.png

wow_basemip_x96bk18.png

Probably of little use to most people, but interesting still that there's such a major difference between these values.

basemip appears to have a maximum of 1 (lowest texture quality) and a minimum of 0.01 (best texture quality).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Got my Dwarf Hunter to 90. It's funny, I made him to goof around, with no intention of ever playing him past maybe level 20 or so. Now he's my third 90. Go figure.

Great so I guess viable Atonement Disc healing is dead again. Was fun while it lasted I guesss ;(

I hope they make an exception for Atonement, it was a really interesting variation on healing and if they want healers to have to make interesting decisions then removing the lynchpin of Atonement's mechanic really runs counter to that.

Fjordson

Do you die or not make enrage? Ret Paladins have much better self healing than hunters so no reason to feel bad. There are prob some good video guides for hunters on youtube, check em out! Here is one I found with a lot of views.
I've never stayed alive long enough to make enrage :lol I always die.

I think I just need to get better at a) managing adds and b) line of sighting the boss when he casts that one spell that can one shot you (can't remember what it's called).

Ultratech

Rösti;103541369 said:
In my stride to make the game as ugly as possible, for frame rate purposes, I today noticed a peculiar difference between the two following console variables:

Mipmaps are used for speeding up rendering times, improving the texture quality and reducing stress on GPU. Anyway, the difference between the values above is quite major. Here are some comparisons:

Good lord, it's hideous.

Like looking back at a PS1/N64 era game.

Rokam

I've never stayed alive long enough to make enrage :lol I always die.

I think I just need to get better at a) managing adds and b) line of sighting the boss when he casts that one spell that can one shot you (can't remember what it's called).

Hunter solo this guy explains how he did it in the video description. I wish you luck!

As an enhance shaman I got a warbringer down to 500k (on one of three attempts). It's always the fear portion that puts me at most risk and often leads to me dying. A little more practice, maybe a tiny bit more gear, and I can start solo farming them for the mounts. Kind of excited about that.

I got the agility trinket in LFR tonight. I think it's Assurance of Consequences? It's the one the lowers cooldowns. I haven't spent much time with it to really test how different it feels and which abilities of mine it affects. I'm going to assume it's Unleash Elements, Lava Lash, Stormstrike, and maybe the three shocks? Or maybe just earth and fire shocks and then something else? I really should check, heh.

Rokam

I got the agility trinket in LFR tonight. I think it's Assurance of Consequences? It's the one the lowers cooldowns. I haven't spent much time with it to really test how different it feels and which abilities of mine it affects. I'm going to assume it's Unleash Elements, Lava Lash, Stormstrike, and maybe the three shocks? Or maybe just earth and fire shocks and then something else? I really should check, heh.

Fire Elemental, Feral Spirit, Ascendance, Spiritwalker's Grace, & Shamanistic Rage. Just the cooldowns, not rotational abilities. Love it on ret, makes Divine Protection (40% reduced spell damage or glyphed 20/20 spell/physical) a 22 second cooldown.

Fire Elemental, Feral Spirit, Ascendance, Spiritwalker's Grace, & Shamanistic Rage. Just the cooldowns, not rotational abilities. Love it on ret, makes Divine Protection (40% reduced spell damage or glyphed 20/20 spell/physical) a 22 second cooldown.

Oh awesome, no wonder I didn't notice it since I was trying to pay attention to rotational abilities, heh.

And looked it up. Also does Earth Elemental for enhancement. I never use Spiritwalker's Grace. Would anybody as enhance use Spiritwalker's Grace? They really should drop that and give us a Stormlash Totem cooldown or something (but that is raid-wide so I can understand that).

Edit: Just realized how much of a DPS boost that trinket is. Popping elementals and ascendance that much more often? Yes, please.

Downed H: Immerseus again with new guild tonight. Unfortunately no trinkets for any casters. One pull on H: Galakras but Lor'themar died lol.

And cleared through Malkorok, got Warforged Boots and Pants. Can't use them right now though since I need weapons for dual wield which is what those are for, but it's nice to have them for when I make the switch. Only other non-weapon slot I need is tier shoulders. Have an unused flex token for shoulders I can use if I need to I suppose, but I'll try and snag a normal pair tomorrow if I can.

Unfortunately no weapons off Norushen, even with a coin roll, so it's gonna be at least another week before I can switch.

Little bit disappointed in my performance tonight, hopefully it doesn't look too bad, but from what I can tell I outgear a decent portion of the raid by a bit and am mostly only doing middling to upper third DPS. Did top on Shaman though. But Nazgrim my computer froze for about 20 seconds during the pull which completely tanked my DPS. Wasn't able to say anything about it since the whole computer froze, not just the WoW app. Oh well.

Though it seem upon reviewing the logs I did parse higher this week on nearly everything but fuckup with Nazgrim, so steady progress like that is a good sign.

I know there's no magic number but what sort of average DPS should I pull before looking to get into Flex raids and Normal raids? I know it doesn't say much but I tend to be somewhere in the top three depending on the group in LFR. I should probably consider grabbing one of those raid forming add-ons and start looking for Flex groups or even push for Normal though I'll be on the lower end compared to people who have been gearing up through normal runs for awhile.

Yep I still hate progression. Spent all of Tuesday wiping on heroic Immerseus and spent an hour and a half on him tonight before just doing normal and clearing what we could before the raid ended. Stopped after Iron Juggernaut. We're gonna try to finish it on Monday but I'm not sure how many people will show up.

scoobs

Yep I still hate progression. Spent all of Tuesday wiping on heroic Immerseus and spent an hour and a half on him tonight before just doing normal and clearing what we could before the raid ended. Stopped after Iron Juggernaut. We're gonna try to finish it on Monday but I'm not sure how many people will show up.
If you hate progression and you don't think people will show up maybe it's best your guild just sticks to normals?

Well, ask yourself this... are you making any progress? You think Immerseus is bad..protectors is really much worse. Have you tried killing H Norushen yet? Hes the easiest one with Nazgrim/Galakras not too far behind.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Rosti every time you post in this thread I want to kill myself

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I didnt know it was possible to make the already outdated vanilla models any uglier... grats Rosti you did it.

I didnt know it was possible to make the already outdated vanilla models any uglier... grats Rosti you did it.

Now it's just funny. I don't even care anymore if there's a legitimate need. I say keep up the good work. If you can get WoW to run in wireframe (on live servers)... I'll PayPal you 20$.

Did some Flex for the first time today. Guildmates pick on me now and then since I do pretty decent DPS but don't raid with them regularly and only talk about it so I finally agreed to wake up early for an early Saturday Flex that they apparently have done for the past month.

Got a new weapon out of it which is a great upgrade from my ToT LFR weapon. Still leaves me with one upgraded 510 weapon but once I replace that I'll be set for weapons since I won't be aiming for normal mode drops or anything. I think I'm up to ilvl 539 with that weapon.

We only did the first and third wings. They explained to me ahead of time that mechanically it's much more like normal mode than LFR but with less damage than normal modes. I didn't really get that impression as every fight was how I did LFR but there was a greater chance of dying. I'm guessing maybe only a few are drastically different in Flex vs. LFR? Oh, suppose there was more corruption maintenance with Norushen? Otherwise everything felt the same.

Oh, and last night another player and I killed about fifteen Warbringers and not a single mount dropped. Damn. Soloing them is still really rough for me if they have fear but I'll keep working on it and after being successful once I know I can manage it and just need to work on cooldown timing.

Did some Flex for the first time today. Guildmates pick on me now and then since I do pretty decent DPS but don't raid with them regularly and only talk about it so I finally agreed to wake up early for an early Saturday Flex that they apparently have done for the past month.

Got a new weapon out of it which is a great upgrade from my ToT LFR weapon. Still leaves me with one upgraded 510 weapon but once I replace that I'll be set for weapons since I won't be aiming for normal mode drops or anything. I think I'm up to ilvl 539 with that weapon.

We only did the first and third wings. They explained to me ahead of time that mechanically it's much more like normal mode than LFR but with less damage than normal modes. I didn't really get that impression as every fight was how I did LFR but there was a greater chance of dying. I'm guessing maybe only a few are drastically different in Flex vs. LFR? Oh, suppose there was more corruption maintenance with Norushen? Otherwise everything felt the same.

Oh, and last night another player and I killed about fifteen Warbringers and not a single mount dropped. Damn. Soloing them is still really rough for me if they have fear but I'll keep working on it and after being successful once I know I can manage it and just need to work on cooldown timing.

Norushen is really the only somewhat different fight from LFR to flex of those 2 wings besides Sha of Pride for tanks. This is the way I've noticed the differences between flex and normal:

Something avoidable that 1 shot's you in normal? 90% chance it'll one shot you on flex too.

Something that's unavoidable that does a lot of damage in normal? About 30% less damage in flex.

Health of mobs in normal 10 man is equalish to 14 people in flex.

Berordn

Wing 1 and Wing 3 are actually pretty well preserved in LFR. In Wing 1 Norushen's not automatic and you have to watch out on that, but besides that they're all just about the same. In Wing 3, Spoils has additional Pandaren crates to help players in certain specs help keep the DPS up to make up for the reduced berserk timers and Thok doesn't change phases based on a timer but instead on health percentage. Minor changes, but ones that require a coordinated group to handle.

Man I don't know what it is for sure, but occasionally I find myself in Unholy Presence during Garrosh. Not sure if it's me fat-fingering something or the mind control switching for me and not noticing, which is a massive DPS loss if I don't catch it. Just to make sure it doesn't happen again I made sure my presences have no keybinds and made a TellMeWhen aura that pops up a huge marker in the center of my screen if I'm not in frost.

Noticed it this past kill at the end of the fight. Could have been I forgot during the runback, but usually I remember to switch if I changed for that. Shouldn't happen again though with the adjustments I've made.

Unfortunately no heirloom for me this week. Did get shoulders off Siegecrafter though which completes my 5-piece and helps quite a bit in terms of general stat balance. Not way over hit cap now. Besides weapons, the only thing I'm missing would be a Warforged Devilfang Band from Thok (as both my current rings are WF). Really frustrating that the only strength one hander that dropped this week was off Paragons which isn't even worth taking. Only snagged gold on my bonus rolls too. The hard thing will be if I do get 2 weapons next week since I won't have enough Valor to upgrade both them and the 3 other pieces in my bags I need to swap out for DW. So I'd be taking a bit of an iLevel hit for a week or two.

Anyway that's it for now, but rambly I'm sorry.

Rokam

Man I don't know what it is for sure, but occasionally I find myself in Unholy Presence during Garrosh. Not sure if it's me fat-fingering something or the mind control switching for me and not noticing, which is a massive DPS loss if I don't catch it. Just to make sure it doesn't happen again I made sure my presences have no keybinds and made a TellMeWhen aura that pops up a huge marker in the center of my screen if I'm not in frost.

Noticed it this past kill at the end of the fight. Could have been I forgot during the runback, but usually I remember to switch if I changed for that. Shouldn't happen again though with the adjustments I've made.

MC almost always switches presence/stances/priest armor buff.

Fjordson

Wow, I'm having strangely good luck on these Warbringers. Just got the Jade Direhorn mount to drop to go along with the Slate one and the Cobalt one (from Oondasta).

ampere

The new Warlords of Draenor: Wish You Were Here trailer is pretty cool. The new model actually makes me like Gnomes! And guessing from the trailer, pre-purchase for WoD coming pretty soon.

Yeah I had a laugh at that.

Wow, I'm having strangely good luck on these Warbringers. Just got the Jade Direhorn mount to drop to go along with the Slate one and the Cobalt one (from Oondasta).

I remember getting over 20 jade mounts before getting all of them. We'd have a group of 3 or 4 people and we'd honestly try to get a 5th before killing another jade because we figured it'd probably drop again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom