• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn 90 boosts. Quality of LFR people has dropped to insane levels of sucking. The DPS has become so abysmally low that even ToT fails :(

Haha the legendary questline just got 100% harder for people not in 25 man raiding guilds. I'm even dreading queueing for Celestial/Ordos groups on my alts now.

RPGCrazied

I want to do the same, but it keeps giving me an error when I try to play Hearthstone. I guess D3 will suffice for now...

My Play button is greyed out after updating. I guess they are getting lots of traffic, to be expected I guess.

Just watched the trailer for it, did they scrape the blue/red version, for alliance and horde? I only saw the blue one, even a troll riding on the blue one. I guess no faction colors.

Robin64

My Play button is greyed out after updating. I guess they are getting lots of traffic, to be expected I guess.

Just watched the trailer for it, did they scrape the blue/red version, for alliance and horde? I only saw the blue one, even a troll riding on the blue one. I guess no faction colors.

Yeah, seems we only get the blue one at the moment. I wonder if the red one will be another promotion at a later time.

ViGaojS.jpg

Berordn

Yeah, seems we only get the blue one at the moment. I wonder if the red one will be another promotion at a later time.

Probably just another example of them making more colors than they intend to make available for players, i.e. Heavenly Cloud Serpents and Water Striders.

just wasted an hour+ putting a fucking flex 2 group together only to have people in the group be god fucking awful. had people start the event when my friends and i were outside the instance loooking for a tank because the tank we had decided he wanted to afk for 20 fucking mins as soon as we got in. and then he came back and started it. took like 10 mins for them to wipe cause the healers kept healing for some fucking reason. what a colossal waste of fucking time. jesus christ.

Oh man I was worried about losing in Heartsone like in the close beta but the recent influx of players brings new lambs to the slaughter, ICE TANKING slaughter.

Ultratech

Probably. I personally like the Blue one anyways.

Or we may never see it much like that Green Fire Hawk.

Oh man I was worried about losing in Heartsone like in the close beta but the recent influx of players brings new lambs to the slaughter, ICE TANKING slaughter.

Yeah, it took me like 5 matches to get the mount.

Was using my Hunter deck, but I ran out of cards in my hand like a dumbass and got stomped.

Especially in one match where I pretty much had it won, then promptly blew it.

mclem

AT BLOODY LAST.

Garrosh down. Not heroic; just normal Garrosh.

It's been something like three months, although the Christmas break shook that up a bit. And the whole ordeal's taught me a few useful things about raid leading, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it.

My big skill as a raid leader has been adapting strategies to fit our group; sometimes they're perhaps a little out-there, but I can usually coax a strategy into something that's sufficiently effective to work around our weaker players. It's a necessary skill; since our guild skews old with many members with real-life responsibilities, we don't have the liberty to guarantee a consistent group; some players will have to take multiple weeks off as they shift to night shifts, my cotank can't do the final raid day of the week at all, that sort of thing.

The problem is that our weaker players... are very weak. Their DPS is acceptable; that's not the issue. The awareness, though, that's pretty poor. I've seen people charge *into* the cone attack in the shadow realm, I've seen people keep running during the empowered whirlwind without taking responsibility for their adds, we've got players who don't realise that they need to turn to attack things sometimes, and we've got players who don't swap to DPSing the weapon for the last second. I've taken to announcing everything over vent in so far as I can, but the extra workload can lead to foolish mistakes when it comes to carrying out my own responsibilities.

The better players have - understandably - been getting increasingly frustrated, and I don't blame them for that. Today there was a situation where I had the option to bring in a good guildie alt and his partner over a few poorer players who've been in on a regular basis; not a pleasant decision (Although there wasn't as much complaining as I thought there would be), but... our first go that night, we got to the empowered whirlwinds. Our second go, we were in phase 3 for our first time. Then... it was just a matter of refinement.

So, yes. Instead of tailoring the strategy to fit the group, today we tailored the group to fit the strategy. Not entirely; this was the final raid day of the week, so I took the decision to single-tank it and accept the extra healer that gives us rather than the more conventional 2/2 attempt - still working the strategy to fit the group - but being able to not have to think about compensating for the weak players, taking out that complication, allowed us the freedom to fit to the more standard strategy, and it worked.

Food for thought for WoD, down the line, though. The nature of Flex raiding is that suddenly it's *not* worth taking a person to fill the remaining spot. I'm going to have to be tougher at booting people who aren't performing to the standards of the rest of the team, and I suspect there's going to be some fireworks over that. Flex allows us to take as many people as we wish - but that's both a blessing and a curse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Raiding makes me so angry. Galakras normal goes smooth, everyone gave out the instructions.

First guy gets Flames, runs to the side. Second guy gets flame,s run to the side. Wipe.

darksagus

So the day after the dread raven gets released I finally got the ground raven mount after 250+ kills, and another person in my guild got it also. Coincidence?

sqwarlock

Flex 4 tonight was rough. Not sure if it's because we had a few new players or what, but we had three Siegecrafter wipes, none on Paragons, and then 6 or 7 on Garrosh before we got him down.

On the plus side I got tier shoulders off Blackfuse and that gave me my hunter 4pc. Also, tonight was my sixth flex Garrosh kill and still no 'looms.

Killed heroic Immerseus and got an hour of attempts on heroic Protectors tonight. Annoyed that the trinket dropped and our shaman won it who heals on any fight we need 3 healers (which also then causes us to not have spell haste). I got the token that let's you upgrade a trash piece at least and upgraded my gloves.

PatDH

Well I had a good couple of hours tonight. Raised iLvl from 502 to 516 (Picking up Assurance of Consequence on the way, pretty stoked with that) and also 2 Sigils of Wisdom & 1 SoP. Only went through Wing 1 of lfr SoO :)
I was dreading lfr tonight seeing as there could be alot of boosted 90s but surprisingly it was the smoothest it had ever been for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe because it's 'new' to me, but what I was worried about happening is happening.
I'm enjoying Enhance a lot more than Windwalker. It just feels more satisfying and more versatile, esp with the big CDs and healing rains and whatnot. Makes some sense as Shaman was always my favorite class back to WOTLK, but it was always as elemental.

Edit: What I'd really like for WoW to do, and I doubt they ever would just for the sake of making you play more. I'd love to set an Alt specialization in loot. So let's say I'm on my 551 monk and I'm doing LFR for my sigils. Since nothing there's an upgrade for my main or alt spec, I can set it to my Shaman and if something drops, it shows up in his mailbox when I log on. Still have it where if I kill Immerseus on my monk and I did that, I get no loot, but if I went on the Shaman I could get something extra for the week as well. Let it effect bonus rolls too. SWTOR kind of has a similar way of gearing alts, and that way you get more geared people in LFR/Flex.

ampere

AT BLOODY LAST.

Garrosh down. Not heroic; just normal Garrosh.

-snip-

Food for thought for WoD, down the line, though. The nature of Flex raiding is that suddenly it's *not* worth taking a person to fill the remaining spot. I'm going to have to be tougher at booting people who aren't performing to the standards of the rest of the team, and I suspect there's going to be some fireworks over that. Flex allows us to take as many people as we wish - but that's both a blessing and a curse.

Congrats. You have a lot of patience, man.

I disagree about flex though. The policy we had when we were running it was you could bring a friend who wasn't a good player as long as you were willing to go on your main to offset the low dps/healing. I think flex is the perfect way for those less skilled players to still get to hang out and raid with everyone. It's worth taking them if you want to play with them :)

Finished paladin's last week, and rogue this week. Just in time for LFRageddon, phew.

http://abload.de/img/cloaksz3rcu.jpg[IMG]

OK NO MORE CLOAKS.[/QUOTE]

You're nuts lol. I made 3 cloaks and it burned me out pretty bad haha. Too much ToT...

RPGCrazied

Man, the difficulty in Hearthstone between beta/open beta and live is staggering. I lost like 5 games in a row last night. All I want is the mount. :/

mclem

Congrats. You have a lot of patience, man.

I like these folks. I want to help them succeed.

This is my hardmode. And it's infinitely tougher than that nonsense Method do :)

I disagree about flex though. The policy we had when we were running it was you could bring a friend who wasn't a good player as long as you were willing to go on your main to offset the low dps/healing. I think flex is the perfect way for those less skilled players to still get to hang out and raid with everyone. It's worth taking them if you want to play with them :)

I think you're misunderstanding me - current flex (and what will be normal flex in WoD), we'd absolutely do that for. It's heroic flex in WoD - equivalent to current normals, but flexible-sized - where the difficult decisions come in, because it's no longer a choice between person A or person B - and if there's no person B available, person A would get in by default - now it's a choice between taking person A or not, and assuming we don't drop below ten regular raiders, there's always a situation where there's definitely a temptation to dump 'em if they're actively detrimental. And I can pretty much guarantee there will be pressure from some quarters to do so, too.

The difficulty with that dumping that needs to be kept in mind - from a raid leader point of view - is that it can get *too* easy to kick people out without giving them the opportunities to improve, and then that segues into not taking them at all, and then we lose a player who might just need time to learn things. That's going to be a tough balance to strike, because we absolutely won't benefit from ending up with an elitist raidpool who never takes the time to get fresh blood in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Always find it funny that LFR/Flex makes sure to wipe all your buffs once you're out. But never debuffsl ike bonecracker or the fire dot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HAhaa wow never had this happen before. So if you're down in front of Megaera and someone pulls trash it will port you back up there so you can die. One by one. It doesn't even do like a group port to let you try and kill it together.

ampere

I like these folks. I want to help them succeed.

This is my hardmode. And it's infinitely tougher than that nonsense Method do :)

I think you're misunderstanding me - current flex (and what will be normal flex in WoD), we'd absolutely do that for. It's heroic flex in WoD - equivalent to current normals, but flexible-sized - where the difficult decisions come in, because it's no longer a choice between person A or person B - and if there's no person B available, person A would get in by default - now it's a choice between taking person A or not, and assuming we don't drop below ten regular raiders, there's always a situation where there's definitely a temptation to dump 'em if they're actively detrimental. And I can pretty much guarantee there will be pressure from some quarters to do so, too.

The difficulty with that dumping that needs to be kept in mind - from a raid leader point of view - is that it can get *too* easy to kick people out without giving them the opportunities to improve, and then that segues into not taking them at all, and then we lose a player who might just need time to learn things. That's going to be a tough balance to strike, because we absolutely won't benefit from ending up with an elitist raidpool who never takes the time to get fresh blood in.

Multiple difficulties really are a great thing.

Mm. Yeah I misunderstood. The difficulty name changes will be causing confusion for a good while. I see what you are saying. Another thing is that since Flexible Normal and Flexible Heroic are both cross realm in WoD it will probably be hard to keep people sticking with one group when they can so easily look for another one without transferring realms. It always comes back to the question of how do you motivate people in a totally optional recreational activity? There's not always an easy answer.

Mythic's logistics are another challenge I am thinking about. If I try to do it I probably have to faction transfer or realm transfer. My realm's Alliance side had no more raiding active raiding guilds left when we 'broke up' in January, and we were a 10 man so Mythic was out of reach anyway. I don't know if the mergers helped boost the Alliance pop enough. I'm definitely done trying to lead heroic progression, but being a part of it can be very fun. Leading always has the 'too many cooks in the kitchen' problem where everyone wants to give their input and sometimes it leads to arguing and extended periods of time with of no attempts.

I might just stick with the two flexible modes for convenience.

RPGCrazied

Can you play against a friend on your b.net list for the mount up achievement? I just can't seem to win on casual play in play mode. All I have is the mage starter deck. I also really hate how my Elite Tauren Chieftain card benefits the other player as well. I thought it was suppose to be for blizzcon attendees and watchers of the stream. Not even worth using now, despite being flashy.

Robin64

Can you play against a friend on your b.net list for the mount up achievement? I just can't seem to win on casual play in play mode. All I have is the mage starter deck. I also really hate how my Elite Tauren Chieftain card benefits the other player as well. I thought it was suppose to be for blizzcon attendees and watchers of the stream. Not even worth using now, despite being flashy.

I heard it works, but haven't confirmed it myself.

For what it's worth, you can win in Play mode with the mage starter deck.

StMeph

I also really hate how my Elite Tauren Chieftain card benefits the other player as well. I thought it was suppose to be for blizzcon attendees and watchers of the stream. Not even worth using now, despite being flashy.

It is an in-game reward for attendees/pass buyers, but that doesn't mean it is automatically good.

StMeph

I mean, when I use it, the other player gets the special cards, regardless if he went/watched blizzcon.

That's the effect of the card. King Mukla does something similar. And ETC gives BOTH players its unique cards, if I recall correctly.

Can you buy multiple boosts yet? Don't really feel like going through mists content again.

I saw it available on the Accounts Management page, but didn't try to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom