• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the topic of guilds came up, If anyone is looking for an actual guild for heroic-level raiding and or social, check out the guild I'm in on US Ner'zhul if interested. Turbo Cyborg Ninjas

Holy shit I'm on your server. Only thing is I'm horde and kill your guild on site (even though I suck at PvP).

Heroic (Mythic in WoD) will not be. But Normal (Heroic in WoD) and everything below will be.

Not mythic I believe.

I see. Thanks.

To follow up on that, then: have they mentioned much about how these renamed difficulties will be tuned? Will Normal = Current Flex, and Heroic = Current Normal, almost exactly?

And also, how well does Flex work? I've never had the opportunity to try it out, myself, but how does it handle an abundance of a certain role?

Entropia

No One Remembers
I see. Thanks.

To follow up on that, then: have they mentioned much about how these renamed difficulties will be tuned? Will Normal = Current Flex, and Heroic = Current Normal, almost exactly?

And also, how well does Flex work? I've never had the opportunity to try it out, myself, but how does it handle an abundance of a certain role?

Current name / WoD name
LFR = LFR (though will have 'Flex technology if the raid isn't full)
Flex = Normal (raid size is flexible, cross-realm)
Normal = Heroic (raid size is flexible, cross-realm)
Heroic = Mythic (raid size is static at 20, not cross realm)

Fjordson

It doesn't automate anything as far as roles go, so it's still up to players to bring tanks, healers and DPS. But it just makes it easier to have people slip in and out. I've done it with 11, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21, etc. Goes up to 25. And it scales based on the number of people in the raid. So it scales slightly down when someone leaves, up when someone joins. All automatically.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So apparently the guild is likely going to be halting heroic progression in favor of normals for a while. There's just too many people getting frustrated, and they'd rather just spend time gearing alts who they know will stick around and farm stuff like Heroic Norushen. The goal now seems to be to prepare for WoD and learn the class to start piecing together a WoD team.

And I'm ok with that. I'd like to get my Shaman geared, and I never expected to kill Heroic Garrosh. We'll have a much better chance in WoD Mythic when raiders come back, but there's just too many people on hiatus. There's also talks we might just merge group 1 and 2 into a 25 man, but I've got my doubts about that for a number of reasons.

I just wanna gear my Shaman and Monk and have fun though. Going to work on Challenge Modes this weekend.

hahahahahahahah :B what did we ever do to piss you off????

i'm Zierkka. I'm the guy that laughs at you before I kill shot and you die.

I've had a few alts camped and they always seem to be the ones coin farming on timeless isle.

My main is Yunsen, although I don't leave shrine all that often.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with digital pre-orders through Gamestop?

The pre-order press release says:
"Pre-purchase the Digital Standard Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition from GameStop in the U.S. or (coming soon) EB Games in Canada (paid in full at the time of pre-purchase). You’ll receive a code redeemable on Battle.net that will unlock your level-90 boost immediately* and also unlock a copy of the expansion pack when it releases."
But when I stopped in yesterday to use up some gift credit I had, the only thing they had in the system was the retail release, or at least, that's how the cashier understood it when she checked.

Finally leveled my Warlock to 90. They're pretty fun to play as. Just need to learn some more about Destruction. I ended up doing a solo Sunwell run for some sweet transmog gear and managed to get all but one of the pieces I needed to complete my look.

ALdCczU.jpg

Also picked up the Green Fire quest. Got my ass handed to me by Kanrethed.
Also, does anyone know what's going on with digital pre-orders through Gamestop?

The pre-order press release says:
But when I stopped in yesterday to use up some gift credit I had, the only thing they had in the system was the retail release, or at least, that's how the cashier understood it when she checked.
Sounds like they weren't told about it. Even their website has nothing about WoD. You'll probably have to wait a while until then.

aesop

Best quest in the game. I've done it on 2 warlocks, it's quite a thrill when you kill him.

Absolutely agree. It was extremely rewarding. I think it took me about 60 attempts when I did it. I had an attempt where I almost killed him but lots of coffee + no breakfast + excitement = shaky hands and I mashed the wrong key and died. When I finally got him down I was ecstatic. Took lots of screenshots.

Giggzy

that moment when your alt has a higher item level than your main.

I don't even know what a main is. I'm an Alt-o-holic and have 7 level 90s and I play them all >=|

I really need to stop and pick one for a main. Every time I jump around all my characters I end up burning out and quitting the game for months because I'm running the same content over and over again on every char.

My problem is I have a bad case of "the grass is greener on the other side" :( so I keep switching.

Berordn

I really need to stop and pick one for a main. Every time I jump around all my characters I end up burning out and quitting the game for months because I'm running the same content over and over again on every char.

You'll be better off for it, if you do. Just have one character to say "okay, he gets the cloak, he gets the mounts, he gets to raid" and be done with it and you'll marvel at how much more you enjoy the game when suddenly it doesn't matter if you've valor capped seven times.

I've still got a few other characters around to play when I feel the itch, but for the most part it's all Paladin all the time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You'll be better off for it, if you do. Just have one character to say "okay, he gets the cloak, he gets the mounts, he gets to raid" and be done with it and you'll marvel at how much more you enjoy the game when suddenly it doesn't matter if you've valor capped seven times.

I've still got a few other characters around to play when I feel the itch, but for the most part it's all Paladin all the time.
That's my plan with the Shaman come WoD. Get him to 100. Be done with it.

Best quest in the game. I've done it on 2 warlocks, it's quite a thrill when you kill him.

Absolutely agree. It was extremely rewarding. I think it took me about 60 attempts when I did it. I had an attempt where I almost killed him but lots of coffee + no breakfast + excitement = shaky hands and I mashed the wrong key and died. When I finally got him down I was ecstatic. Took lots of screenshots.
It's quite a hectic fight. Farthest I've gotten is the first felhunter phase. I keep forgetting to Havoc the first then Chaos Bolt the second. I can never seem to get them positioned right to not see the Pit Lord either. Seems like something that'll take me at least a week or two to get down as I'm slow with my reaction timing.

I'm getting a little better every try though so that's something.

I might switch mains come WoD, too early to say for sure, but the only reason to really level multiple characters to max for me (at least early in an expac) is professions/gold-making. Probably wouldn't do it otherwise.

Still, I might not switch mains since one big thing important to me, reputation, is still not account-wide. Would be more than an absolute pain in the ass to redo all those, besides ones like the old ZG rep which are unavailable now.

Giggzy

Yeah, I understand that. I really need to pick one soon.

Out of the characters I have at 90, it'll most likely be between my Shaman, Mage, or Pally. I've been trying to get into healing because I've always been DPS, and I don't want to tank. I tried healing on a a mistweaver monk but I wasn't really enjoying their mechanics. I've tried out Holy for pally the last couple days and find it much more enjoyable. Do you happen to be holy and can offer any help? :D

Dot50Cal

Banned
Heroic Malk is whipping our ass right now. Between tank deaths in P2, to people missing pools its rough. It doesn't help that we have 5 melee including the tanks. We did get him to enrage, but that was with three healers and we realized that we didn't have the dps to push him far enough with that setup. This ones gonna be a pain.

Prologue

Surprised Blizz didn't give an option to pick what level to get boosted to instead of giving an instant 90. Wouldn't mind be able to skip BC content and play everything else, even if the $60 stayed the same.

Wonder why they didn't go that route.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Anyone have experience doing GDKP runs? Thinking about joining one for Normal SoO.

They fell out of favor recently haven't seen any

If you have a lot of gold or don't want gear you can make a bit/get a lot of gold

But you need a couple people with a lot of gold otherwise it all goes for the minimum price whatever it might be.

Could be a waste of time depending if the gear people want even drops. 25 would be better probably, too.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I ventured further in my quest to make the game as ugly as possible, and I discovered that the vanilla gryphons (both doodad and mount) are affected greatly by certain low values of certain console variables.

The last image is one I took after I had decreased texture resolution even further, thus why the gryphon looks a bit different than the rest.

gryphon010euy6.png

gryphon02icu94.png

gryphon039xu8f.png

gryphon04fpuez.png

gryphon056yuz3.png

gryphon06oduyp.png

gryphon079bu13.png

I also noticed via the console that there are many console variables undocumented on wowpedia.org, and many variables listed on that page aren't listed in the console (under the help section). I wonder if there's a whole bunch of variables "hidden"; so far I haven't seen anything juicy in any LUA files though. But I looked into this wireframe thing and it seems that the WoW Machinima tool, in which you can enable wireframe mode, works by simply changing certain values (and it's perfectly legal according to Blizzard). But there might be some C involved, I don't know. Regardless, there's gotta be a way.

Ultratech

Anyone have experience doing GDKP runs? Thinking about joining one for Normal SoO.

Haven't done one myself, although a guild on my group of servers frequently does a 25-man run every week with a bunch of people.

I hear it's a good way to get some money and gear, though you usually need quite a bit of gold to enter (like the one I mentioned above, you need a minimum 30k to sign up).
Rösti;104406603 said:
I ventured further in my quest to make the game as ugly as possible, and I discovered that the vanilla gryphons (both doodad and mount) are affected greatly by certain low values of certain console variables.

The last image is one I took after I had decreased texture resolution even further, thus why the gryphon looks a bit different than the rest.

GA04kSY.png

I haven't done GDKPs since ICC, but they can be pretty interesting either as a way to acquire gear and/or gold. There's a couple that run on my server for SoO, but I haven't partaken because they seem to fill up pretty fast, setting a roster like a week in a advance, besides the fact that I've been in guilds raiding during the same time.

Fjordson

Hmm, that GDKP stuff sounds interesting. Found out there's a guild on my server who does them a decent amount.

Also, it looks like said guild (Midwinter) is one of the best 25 man guilds in the world. Seen some of their players around the server, but I had no idea they were that good. I should try to apply
lol

Tears... holy shit. My favorite posts today.

Rösti;104406603 said:
I also noticed via the console that there are many console variables undocumented on wowpedia.org, and many variables listed on that page aren't listed in the console (under the help section). I wonder if there's a whole bunch of variables "hidden"; so far I haven't seen anything juicy in any LUA files though. But I looked into this wireframe thing and it seems that the WoW Machinima tool, in which you can enable wireframe mode, works by simply changing certain values (and it's perfectly legal according to Blizzard). But there might be some C involved, I don't know. Regardless, there's gotta be a way.
Oh snap, I didn't catch this right away but that's pretty interesting. I look forward to future developments!

At this point I'm still not even sure what I'm going to use my 90 boost on. I'm going to wait it out until 6.0 drops and I can see the new character models in action. I'm sort of leaning towards an Orc Mage.

Enosh

was only doing CMs with my guild group on Fridays or Saturdays, usually got like 1 done per day (sometimes not even that), had 3 still to do so didn't think anything, but were done with brewery in only like 3 pulls, so then we decided to do temple also and once that one was done fast too we went and did SM for the last one, so finished the CMs on my pala tank alt :p
now decided I also want to do it on my main

wowscrnshot031514005441.jpg

Salamando

How easy are CM's nowadays? I have a Pally Tank/DPS I've been wanting to do them on. I'm more comfortable with my shadow Priest, but that set sucks.

How easy are CM's nowadays? I have a Pally Tank/DPS I've been wanting to do them on. I'm more comfortable with my shadow Priest, but that set sucks.

I think they're pretty challenging. You really have to get creative if you don't have the faceroll comps that get it all done in 6-7 minutes apiece. The teamwork required to keep the pull tempo up to preserve gold is not to be taken lightly.

Man when your raid starts at midnight, the anticipation can be a bit killer.

I usually get jitters before a scheduled raid anyway, but this schedule makes it way worse, since I have to make sure I'm awake enough at the time to perform.

Think it's not so bad for others if they're on the West Coast since it's not nearly as odd a schedule for them.

JSoup

Banned
Also picked up the Green Fire quest. Got my ass handed to me by Kanrethed.

There is a really good strategy on wowhead about that encounter. It's kicked my ass a few times, but I get a little closer with each try. It's a really interesting fight, totally one of those "get into the zone" type of things.

Enosh

they are easier now from what i understand due to all the sockets on gear etc
but you still can't faceroll them, need to know when to pop CDs, when to pull, how much to pull, what to skip etc plus some decent dps to make the timers

overall I'd say about normal raiding bosses difficulty give or take
but that's just my impression doing them for the first time on an alt, with a not optimal group set up

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, as much as I hate some of the tier designs in MoP.
pNBcjGf.jpg
Challenge-Mode-Shaman-Windfury.jpg
The last tier really fucking nailed it for 'offset' tiers.

These look like shaman. Not elemental warriors or whatever but some mofoing Shaman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom