• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's upsetting to me how bad Blood Elves look in the CM Warlock gear.

Orcs look like badass demons, Trolls look like badass demons(I actually think them or male dwarves look the best in it), Dwarves look like a Naxx boss who went to Black Temple, Undead look like Undead, Humans look like a Naxx boss, gnomes look ok, goblins look like crazy cultist demons.

Blood elves look like they bought it for some Halloween party.

It's been a month and those damn plate boots from Moroes still haven't dropped for my Draenei Paladin. Only piece I need to complete my transmog. :(

Test of Valor done. Change of Command done.

2k/21k exalted with Black Prince.

Just gotta win my BGs before I can move on to Secrets of the Empire.

Making progress.

Somehow one shot heroic Immerseus for our 3rd kill, spent around an hour and a half on heroic Protectors before killing them, and killed heroic Norushen after about 4 attempts for our first kill.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
7 Shaman kills(flex and normal combined). No treasure chest yet. Sigh. Soon.

Or CM gear. I need to get CM gear and the Dark Shaman gear before WoD. Plenty of time. I'm just worried about finding consistent groups. Got some Ele pieces, so I guess there's always that option.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope WoD brings back the epic gearing of BC appearances
tumblr_n35vmn2ZEI1rp8jmgo2_400.png

new companion pet = new transmog
dasafgwwngu80.jpg

Black Prince to exalted on the Lock. Wasn't too bad, took maybe an hour and a half from revered.

Now I gotta do the ToT and SoO LFR runs - all 6 of them - each week for secrets. Yeah....not really looking forward to that.

ampere

I hope WoD brings back the epic gearing of BC appearances
https://31.media.tumblr.com/978fb35e45d4cf4d00d087ee92fb0c0f/tumblr_n35vmn2ZEI1rp8jmgo2_400.png[IMG]

new companion pet = new transmog
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/dasafgwwngu80.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Son of the animus? You bastard, I'm jealous.

StMeph

Thankfully secrets don't take terribly long anymore. The Runestones though?

I hope you're patient.

There are 20 bosses to get 20 Secrets from, 2 of which are guaranteed. 14 bosses to get 12 Runestones from, 2 of which are guaranteed. If the drop rates are the same, it should be faster to get Runestones.

Anecdotally, both steps took 4 weeks each.

Berordn

There are 20 bosses to get 20 Secrets from, 2 of which are guaranteed. 14 bosses to get 12 Runestones from, 2 of which are guaranteed. If the drop rates are the same, it should be faster to get Runestones.

Anecdotally, both steps took 4 weeks each.

They're not the same droprate, Secrets are more common than Runestones. The two guaranteed drops speed things up immensely, but before they introduced it in ToT some people were going weeks without seeing a single one.

Yep, he has very little health for the final phase. It's still chaotic, but there's a race-against-time aspect at that point. As long as you can keep it together through a few more empowered whirlwinds (while, unfortunately, having less space to work with!), you'll do okay.

Are you also controlling the weapon landing location? A group of three ranged can dictate it if everyone else is in melee, and that allows control of the space a bit better. A lot of Phase 3 has to be played by ear, though, anticipating where the safest spots to move to lie.

Edit: I do hope you're not talking heroic, here! It's just crossed my mind that you might be, and I've got no frame of reference for that, and my advice is almost certainly rubbish!
Sorry, forgot to reply. No, not doing heroic. My guild isn't all that hardcore. They raid weekly for about 8-9 hours over two nights. There's been a fair bit of improvement from when I first ran with them and we did earlier raids but it's still rough at times. But everyone has geared up fairly well and some of the problem players from a year ago now seem to be better with raid mechanics. We still have a few weak links on some fights. One particular person dies early in many fights, heh.

Thanks for the tips. I'll possibly join them again on Friday to try for Garrosh again and hopefully things go a bit better.

mclem

Speaking of raiding anecdotes: Starting heroics this week! Current tentative plans are Immerseus, Norushen and maybe Galakras in the first week, depending on how time dictates (and if the group makeup is advantageous!). There's still enough people who'd benefit from a Garrosh kill that it's at that stage where I have to make tricky time calls to ensure that we complete everything in the week while having a reasonable chunk of time on the new bosses.

StayDead

Just started the Operation Shieldwall stuff after learning about it through the Cloak quests. I love things like this, makes it feel like WC3 <33

Speaking of raiding anecdotes: Starting heroics this week! Current tentative plans are Immerseus, Norushen and maybe Galakras in the first week, depending on how time dictates (and if the group makeup is advantageous!). There's still enough people who'd benefit from a Garrosh kill that it's at that stage where I have to make tricky time calls to ensure that we complete everything in the week while having a reasonable chunk of time on the new bosses.
What sort of DPS should someone be putting out to really consider doing heroics? My ilvl is a bit too low but just kind of curious. I think I'm now ilvl 546.

What sort of DPS should someone be putting out to really consider doing heroics? My ilvl is a bit too low but just kind of curious. I think I'm now ilvl 546.

Quickly checking some logs:

Single target, minimal gimmick dummy (e.g. Malkorok) everyone should probably be doing around 260k-270k on average (some will be higher, some lower) to start progression. Ideally leaning on the higher side of that (280k+ is good). This assumes cloak. No one should pull less than 250k on a fight like that.

Quickly checking some logs:

Single target, minimal gimmick dummy (e.g. Malkorok) everyone should probably be doing around 260k-270k on average (some will be higher, some lower) to start progression. Ideally leaning on the higher side of that (280k+ is good). This assumes cloak. No one should pull less than 250k on a fight like that.
What is the best site to check logs? With me doing Normal I imagine I should have logs available so I'll have to see what it shows I did. I remember doing well on Malkorok. I tend to do best on fights with minimal running around being melee.

What is the best site to check logs? With me doing Normal I imagine I should have logs available so I'll have to see what it shows I did. I remember doing well on Malkorok. I tend to do best on fights with minimal running around being melee.

I was looking at my personal guild's logs on World of Logs. There's also Warcraft Logs which is newer and has some interesting features like replays, where you can see how everyone moves about. Loads a little slow though. Should be details on those sites how to setup and export advanced combat logging to them if you want to record yourself in raids - don't do my own (too lazy :p)

I also like to look at epeen bot to compare progress over time, since it charts your logs each week on a graph. If you don't know where to find your logs on the other two sites, epeen bot will scrape them for you based on your character name/server.

I was looking at my personal guild's logs on World of Logs. There's also Warcraft Logs which is newer and has some interesting features like replays, where you can see how everyone moves about. Loads a little slow though. Should be details on those sites how to setup and export advanced combat logging to them if you want to record yourself in raids - don't do my own (too lazy :p)

I also like to look at epeen bot to compare progress over time, since it charts your logs each week on a graph. If you don't know where to find your logs on the other two sites, epeen bot will scrape them for you based on your character name/server.

I'm guessing logs are only saved if someone in the fight has whatever add-on registers them? I honestly didn't put any thought into how I had logs online in the past but after noticing none of my guildmates are logged either we probably had someone with whatever add-on was required with us last Summer and now they either don't use it or weren't with us. Oh well, guess I won't be looking at my logs. Not super important since I'm not crazy about raiding. Thanks for answering my questions.

Peachpies

You don't need an addon to combat log. The ingame command to start logging is /combatlog it will show a message that it is started/stopped. The log is saved as wowcombatlog.txt in the logs folder in wow directory. And then you can use a client downloaded from the log site you use to upload that file. Also note it's not a personal thing when you do combat logging it will log the whole raid. Also you don't need the advanced logging option in networking enabled and it is probably better if you leave it unchecked. And as far as sites go warcraft logs is a much better option then world of logs although both of their uploading clients have some issues.

You don't need an addon to combat log. The ingame command to start logging is /combatlog it will show a message that it is started/stopped. The log is saved as wowcombatlog.txt in the logs folder in wow directory. And then you can use a client downloaded from the log site you use to upload that file. Also note it's not a personal thing when you do combat logging it will log the whole raid. Also you don't need the advanced logging option in networking enabled and it is probably better if you leave it unchecked. And as far as sites go warcraft logs is a much better option then world of logs although both of their uploading clients have some issues.

Oh, okay, thanks. A bit late now but if I raid with my guild again I'll grab the logs because I'd be curious to see how I stack up where I am now.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I finally crossed the 200k gold mark reliably. I went from 3k to 200k in about two and a half months. The first 30 days I farmed motes on the tillers farm and used those in professions, but the last month and change I've just done daily cd's with occasional AH buying of Sha Crystals for Enchanting when they're low enough. I bowed out of the gem market for a while so that hurt profits, but its still somewhat profitable. Now that I have 7 x-mute alchemists on one server, the gold just rolls in. Belt buckles are still a great way to make money on a large server.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dwarf Shaman and Troll Warlock have got to be the most, 'Why didn't we think of this before' class combos in WoW. They fit perfectly. It's nuts how much the class and race complement each other.

I mean look at this
maxresdefault.jpg

PatDH

Well onto collecting Secrets now. 4 secrets so far with 1 ToT boss I haven't done (Already got the guaranteed 1) and 3 bosses left in the first wing of SoO. Hope I can get 1 more secret this week :)

Westlo

I finally crossed the 200k gold mark reliably. I went from 3k to 200k in about two and a half months. The first 30 days I farmed motes on the tillers farm and used those in professions, but the last month and change I've just done daily cd's with occasional AH buying of Sha Crystals for Enchanting when they're low enough. I bowed out of the gem market for a while so that hurt profits, but its still somewhat profitable. Now that I have 7 x-mute alchemists on one server, the gold just rolls in. Belt buckles are still a great way to make money on a large server.

You going for 1 million? I still kinda wanna hit that figure in Mists but buying shit plus not playing this game for a few months thanks to Football Manager 14 didn't help. Gem prices tanked, MOP blues tanked, crafted gear suckier than before, ore, bar and trillium prices tanked... oh well...

Enchanting is still good, cept Sha Crystals are now higher, Belt Buckles still good.

Just ignore TCG Mounts when grinding to 1 million lol.

mclem

First day on Immerseus HC.

Ouch.

We were genuinely pleased when we got to a point where we lasted over a minute.

It's an interesting juxtaposition between us two tanks. I have no difficulty getting the adds - my cotank struggles with it. Which means I tend to end up with all the adds... even when I'm on Immerseus. I'm taking more damage from adds than the boss!

Part of it is getting our DPS to control output so we don't get too many adds, I think; I'm aiming for around 25 or so each time, but I'm hitting a point where. We have a disc priest, which is good from the cleansing point of view, but bad because that means people don't have a benchmark for how many adds they've generated!

Any good addons to encourage people to maintain control of the quantity of adds in play?

Anyhow, that's it for Immerseus for now. Norushen today, and I gather that's much, much easier.

First day on Immerseus HC.

Ouch.

We were genuinely pleased when we got to a point where we lasted over a minute.

It's an interesting juxtaposition between us two tanks. I have no difficulty getting the adds - my cotank struggles with it. Which means I tend to end up with all the adds... even when I'm on Immerseus. I'm taking more damage from adds than the boss!

Part of it is getting our DPS to control output so we don't get too many adds, I think; I'm aiming for around 25 or so each time, but I'm hitting a point where. We have a disc priest, which is good from the cleansing point of view, but bad because that means people don't have a benchmark for how many adds they've generated!

Any good addons to encourage people to maintain control of the quantity of adds in play?

Anyhow, that's it for Immerseus for now. Norushen today, and I gather that's much, much easier.

We only have one tank get adds. What we do is our add tank tanks boss first and have the normal tank swap. When his buff comes, everyone stacks on the tank and we aoe adds down. Dps need to be smart enough to not kill themselves and get 3-4 stacks, switch to adds until the debuff wears off, then back to boss and repeat. If adds are still up by his 3rd breath, our 2nd tank will just eat it (trinket from Protectors is really nice for this fight). The beginning is kind of a dps race where you need to get him down before he gets a 2nd buff.

The fight becomes easy once everyone gets the hang of it. We one shot it this week for only our 3rd kill. The main thing is everyone has to be aware of where Swirl starts and pop cooldown's if you're gonna get hit.

This week was our first week on heroic Norushen and we killed him in about 4 attempts. It's much more of a dps race than Immerseus but less of one than Protectors.

mclem

Pretty much what we're doing, the problem is that we have a disc priest, hence mass dispel, hence people don't get the trigger of 'four stacks, time to stop attacking!'. I'm wondering if there's another way to get a reasonable benchmark of when individually you should stop going for it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Our Heroic Immerseus attempts were great in my old guild. The tank who left would talk about people not using pets because of how the fight works.

...Then he'd pop Army of the Dead right at the start.

In other news: Got my CM Elemental set together. Just gotta find a group. My guild does CMs on Sunday, but I'm not going to expect anything until I actually see it. Went to practice Elemental rotations. That took like 2 seconds to 'learn'

StayDead

I've got to the part where you need to get 3000 valor points for the cloak chain. What an annoying way to extend the quests. That and the rep grinding are stupid >_<

I've got to the part where you need to get 3000 valor points for the cloak chain. What an annoying way to extend the quests. That and the rep grinding are stupid >_<
The rep is really only a grind when you getting the cloak after all quests are out. When the content was being released over months the rep part of it was negligible since you were bound to get to exalted doing other stuff.

Valor was pretty much the same. It killed the pace but it didn't really slow you down all that much overall.

ampere

In other news: Got my CM Elemental set together. Just gotta find a group. My guild does CMs on Sunday, but I'm not going to expect anything until I actually see it. Went to practice Elemental rotations. That took like 2 seconds to 'learn'

The rotation is super easy and with some cooldown/trinket finesse you will be very strong. I recommend that you get a Flashfrozen Resin Globule. Using that, FE Totem, Ascendance, and Heroism (though this is a group decision at times) at the right times are the main dps decisions you'll be making.

Ancestral Guidance can help your healer a lot in a high incoming damage situation. And Capacitor Totem + Totemic Projection is pretty amazing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've got the Alchemist zen stone and the timeless trinket. The guides I read said those were the best ones.

I love the whole chicken and the egg theory wiht openraid and oq for CMs. How am I supposed to have experience when every CM group requires you to have experience? Glad my guild does CMs.

RPGCrazied

My video card is about to die, so I'm looking for one for about $100. I'm looking at a EVGA GeForce GT 640 DDR3 2gb. Would this card run at least on high settings?

Hixx

So the Alpha for WoD has begun tonight.

I was a bit upset when I saw it was only Alpha given its been 5 months since Blizzcon but Lore on twitter has responded to a similar opinion suggesting it may be a short Alpha phase.

Marven

F&F alpha, like the RoS alpha a while ago?

Because I might be able to get access in that case.

Yep, it's F&F: "One of our goals for this very early stage of the Alpha is to test out some new technology in the wild with employees and friends and family,.."

Hixx

F&F alpha, like the RoS alpha a while ago?

Because I might be able to get access in that case.

"One of our goals for this very early stage of the Alpha is to test out some new technology in the wild with employees and friends and family,"

It would appear so.

I lost contact with my foot in the door, so to speak.

Eh, on the plus side when I wake up tomorrow I'm sure half the expansion's shit will be on the MMO Champ front page.

Nothing hardens my nerd-boner more than a datamined WoW expansion! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom