• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerx

These new models look amazing. I just hope there will be more than one face option, or everyone will look the same.

I really can't wait to see the human male/ night elf male and blood elf male.

Well, it will be one face but all vanilla models right now are one face. It was much easier to hide it with different textures before but the faces are so detailed now that its very difficult to accomplish the same effect. I guess the new facial structure and animations are to blame for this to some extent.

This degree of difference is about the best we can realistically hope for right now.

wod_gnome_female.jpg

wod_dwarf_female.jpg

But at least it gives us a glimpse into animations/expressiveness in Titan when it comes out in 2020 and we may even have different faces :p

Edit: also these new faces pretty much mirror the existing ones like they said.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
New Tauren looks a LOT like Beast from the Disney movie in the face

The fact that they used Female Draenei as an April 1st prank makes me somewhat confident that they're working on them for launch.

I mean, that fake model has to be based off of something, right?

It's not like Blizzard doesn't make mockups that go to excruciating detail just for a joke. Also, it really didn't look that good quality-wise not even aesthetics. It looked pretty poor compared to the female Orc as if they took the old Draneei model and mocked it up quickly for a joke.

Slayerx

They already confirmed that they are working on the real Draenei artcraft (today) so yes it was based on the new model.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is going to start a fight between those that do and those that don't, but I hope Blizzard keeps removing stuff like they're doing with CMs and the Kor'kron wolf. Not EVERYTHING, but they need to have that stuff that you have to be there for to make it special.

The Amani War Bear is one of my favorite mounts in the whole game. I have the Battle Bear, and it's just not the same. I don't have the War Bear, but it's still one of my favorites. It's because it has that luster, that exclusivity shine. That, 'hey you worked hard and heres your reward.'

I do think it's fucking stupid that they sell it on the BMAH though. Cut that shit out. And them taking away the Realm best titles is dumb too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is going to start a fight between those that do and those that don't, but I hope Blizzard keeps removing stuff like they're doing with CMs and the Kor'kron wolf. Not EVERYTHING, but they need to have that stuff that you have to be there for to make it special.

The Amani War Bear is one of my favorite mounts in the whole game. I have the Battle Bear, and it's just not the same. I don't have the War Bear, but it's still one of my favorites. It's because it has that luster, that exclusivity shine. That, 'hey you worked hard and heres your reward.'

I do think it's fucking stupid that they sell it on the BMAH though. Cut that shit out. And them taking away the Realm best titles is dumb too.

The Battle Bear is offensive. It literally looks like they chose the ugliest, shitty washed out color scheme possible just to say "lol too bad you didn't get the REAL one". Like the decision was made to bring the war bear back, but someone at blizzard was so butthurt over it that they managed to get their concession in, that it look like fucking shit. They even already fucking had a decent looking alternate color scheme in the game (the greenish one) but no, that won't do. Gotta make sure we make the new one a god damn abomination.

Imad.

Berordn

They should NOT be removing anything. Removing things is bad.

Removing content is bad. Gutting the challenge modes is a no in my book, however gimped they may be with the 6.0 changes.

Removing totally cosmetic rewards is... Different. I can recognize both sides of it, as someone who could very likely miss out on challenge mode rewards that its better for the game if these things have a life expectancy.

StMeph

I'd be fine with keeping hit rating if they removed it from about half the gear and lowered the rating required for hit cap.

The problem with something like Hit and Expertise is that there is a cap. Lowering the cap doesn't change the impacts that it has. It's both absolutely necessary to have -- which makes low-geared characters weak by not meeting it, or needing to steer other "fun" secondaries away toward it -- and utterly useless to get more once you hit the cap, which happens on high-end gear by virtue of the huge stat budgets of high ilevel items. It's what makes the Arcane Reforger necessary.

So what are the options? Make Hit/Exp roll over into something else, like Crit/Mastery, respectively, after meeting the cap. That would be one way to do it, but it's not intuitive, and difficult to convey in-game without outside knowledge. Or just eliminate it altogether, and allow people to stack secondary stats.

Eliminating Hit/Exp is good in that it smooths out everyone's gear curve a little more. No more constant reforging when getting a single item upgrade, just to re-calibrate to meet caps.

The problem with something like Hit and Expertise is that there is a cap. Lowering the cap doesn't change the impacts that it has. It's both absolutely necessary to have -- which makes low-geared characters weak by not meeting it, or needing to steer other "fun" secondaries away toward it -- and utterly useless to get more once you hit the cap, which happens on high-end gear by virtue of the huge stat budgets of high ilevel items. It's what makes the Arcane Reforger necessary.

So what are the options? Make Hit/Exp roll over into something else, like Crit/Mastery, respectively, after meeting the cap. That would be one way to do it, but it's not intuitive, and difficult to convey in-game without outside knowledge. Or just eliminate it altogether, and allow people to stack secondary stats.

Eliminating Hit/Exp is good in that it smooths out everyone's gear curve a little more. No more constant reforging when getting a single item upgrade, just to re-calibrate to meet caps.

People are still gonna reforge almost everything to get their 1st and 2nd best stats.

StMeph

People are still gonna reforge almost everything to get their 1st and 2nd best stats.

Well, yes. But you don't have to constantly rebalance it to meet caps. When you replace a piece with Hit or Expertise, you have to re-balance your gear to meet the cap, but not by too much. When you get a piece with Haste/Crit/Mastery/Multistrike/etc, you reforge it once, and then you're done.

Plus, reforging is not sticking around in WoD either, so that won't even be an option.

Couldn't be bothered/get around to doing all the necessary LFRs this week for secrets on my Lock. Still got 2 from ToT 4 though.

Only an alt, so being delayed a week isn't that terrible a fate.

vilmer_

Warriors/Hunters/Monks.

This is all I'm seeing in battlegrounds. I hope Mages scale well with this pvp gear because right now I'm getting slaughtered, even with the 4 piece bonus. Feels so different not being able to just toy with people anymore. Monks are just ridiculous.

Ultratech

Damn, that new Tauren model is pretty amazing.

Also, this was a very interesting note in today's hotfixes:
Each World of Warcraft account can now create a maximum of 10 instances per hour (up from 5).

ampere

Damn, that new Tauren model is pretty amazing.

Also, this was a very interesting note in today's hotfixes:
Each World of Warcraft account can now create a maximum of 10 instances per hour (up from 5).

Glad they finally did this. It'll be very difficult to hit 10 in an hour in most circumstances, 5 seemed to happen often enough to be irritating.

You could still hit 10 if you put 10 toons outside Onyxia's lair and did each of them one after another, but c'mon that'd be your own fault :p

Glad they finally did this. It'll be very difficult to hit 10 in an hour in most circumstances, 5 seemed to happen often enough to be irritating.

You could still hit 10 if you put 10 toons outside Onyxia's lair and did each of them one after another, but c'mon that'd be your own fault :p

If you farm some mounts that's really easy to hit. I was doing Slabhide runs in Stonecore averaging around two minutes and forty-five seconds. Even rounded up to three minutes that's twenty runs an hour. And that's my time including zoning out and resetting the instance. In-and-out of Vortex Pinnacle was closer to a little under five minutes so that's rough twelve or thirteen times an hour if that were possible.

So yeah, these are really nice changes for mount collectors. Probably good for some specific Transmog stuff, too. And frostweave farming in Naxx.

ampere

If you farm some mounts that's really easy to hit. I was doing Slabhide runs in Stonecore averaging around two minutes and forty-five seconds. Even rounded up to three minutes that's twenty runs an hour. And that's my time including zoning out and resetting the instance. In-and-out of Vortex Pinnacle was closer to a little under five minutes so that's rough twelve or thirteen times an hour if that were possible.

So yeah, these are really nice changes for mount collectors. Probably good for some specific Transmog stuff, too. And frostweave farming in Naxx.

I forgot about stuff like the Stonecore mount, that is a super quick run. I could never handle more than a few in a row anyway or I'd get bored. Never did get that mount ;p

Either way they said they won't take off the limit entirely so yea 10 is a much better compromise

Westlo

any way I can see how much valor I have for test of valor? I have two characters in that quest and would like to focus on the one further in.

also servers going down tonight or just reset?

CassSept

any way I can see how much valor I have for test of valor? I have two characters in that quest and would like to focus on the one further in.

also servers going down tonight or just reset?

You have to check the achievement "A Test of Valor", it's in Quests category near the bottom of the list.

ch0mp

Warriors/Hunters/Monks.

This is all I'm seeing in battlegrounds. I hope Mages scale well with this pvp gear because right now I'm getting slaughtered, even with the 4 piece bonus. Feels so different not being able to just toy with people anymore. Monks are just ridiculous.
Mages are the best caster and second dps, with only warriors ahead of them. Squishy yes but so many tools to handle melee.

I'm really curious to see how the massive CC changes effect casters in PvP. With almost everything sharing DR it's going to be much harder for casters to kite melee.

Alpha/sand box stream on mmo-champion right now. Karabor looks amazing. Think I'm going to hang around the waterfalls or the amphitheatre the whole expansion :p

StayDead

The ears look horrible there, I hope that's not real o_O

EDIT: Found the spectral fisherman today and got my charm, thought I'd log in when I first woke up and there he was :>

StayDead

Well before I started my uni work I thought I'd look for the barrel of bannana infused rum and found it after killing the rare. Today's been my lucky day of rare spawns.

Hixx

The problem with the ears is that they hang (no other word is coming to my mind atm :p) too low in comparison to the old model. They are almost horizontal.

That Shadowmoon Burial Grounds dungeon. That cave with the water and the glowy thingies is the most beautiful cave I've seen in WoW.

Berordn

Fnelf looks pretty good with hair, I think. The absurd ears are much closer to their artwork than the old model was.

She's pretty clearly a WIP anyway.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Sounds like someone did that!!

Also, Bruins? really?!?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Damn, Tanann jungle is my shit.

Guess you guys didn't play Warcraft III. Night Elves have always had sharp canines!

Dark_Night_by_SpyroandCynder.jpg

edit: boner time @ that art. god I loved those box covers

I like that unofficial Night Elf preview, but the vampire teeth are a bit surprising.

In WC3 they were introduced as the more feral, primeval version of the high elves known in the Eastern Kingdoms so I'm not that taken aback by their teef. Their fangs are visible on the Night Elf variant of the boxart.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I dislike those new ears; they're too droopy.

The general consensus is that they likely have some (unfinished) animation to them and thats why they look weird now. Kind of how tauren looked funky in general back during the t-pose preview we got a few months back.

StMeph

So what all are they taking OUT of the game for the new expansion? Not stuff like hit and all that, but mounts, challenges etc?

Current set of Challenge Mode for Heroics, and that means the corresponding transmog sets, Pandaren phoenix mount, and title/achievements.

Some achievements for clearing SoO on Normal and Heroic 10/25 are only available before the expansion.

Mount drops from SoO will no longer be guaranteed, and will be similar to other raid mount drop rates.

Professions no longer grant combat-relevant bonuses

Berordn

So what all are they taking OUT of the game for the new expansion? Not stuff like hit and all that, but mounts, challenges etc?

The 5.0 challenge modes are being gutted entirely, AFAIK. The cosmetic awards associated with them will no longer be obtainable for anyone who hasn't earned them, but otherwise unaffected.

The Kor'kron war wolf awarded with the Garrosh FoS will remain but the FoS is unobtainable. The Kor'kron Demolisher will get the typical 1% drop adjustment.

I think that's all they've announced so far.

Robin64

Wondering how they'll deal with the Brawler's Guild. Will the current stuff as 90 for everyone to stomp when they are 100 with a whole new fuckload of bosses?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Edit: I assume you mean the wolf will still be usable. Because you won't be able to get it anymore when WoD is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom