• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamando

1. Confirmed to be per-character
2. If you don't want to do it on an alt then... don't?

#2 Depends on what benefits it ends up offering. My alts can ignore the farm easily enough. Ignoring tradeskill specializations, gear, anything that would make me a sub-par raider...much harder.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1. Confirmed to be per-character
2. If you don't want to do it on an alt then... don't?

That's like saying you don't have to do legendary cloaks. Sure, you can ignore it but then if you ever want to take that character seriously, you have to do serious catchup to get to the point of your main if it has any important raiding effect.

Berordn

#2 Depends on what benefits it ends up offering. My alts can ignore the farm easily enough. Ignoring tradeskill specializations, gear, anything that would make me a sub-par raider...much harder.

They've already removed the raiding perks from professions, and all we've heard about garrisons so far is that the bonuses it provides to professions are on par with the Ranch. Everything else about it seems fairly self-contained.

That's like saying you don't have to do legendary cloaks. Sure, you can ignore it but then if you ever want to take that character seriously, you have to do serious catchup to get to the point of your main if it has any important raiding effect.

The cloaks are stupid and I've expressed my discontent with them before, but it doesn't seem to have much similarity with garrisons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's assumed. Given that they're not keeping the 90 CMs in, I doubt they'd scale people down for the 90 Brawlers, and I doubt they'd let you just steamroll it at 100.

And, I assume they'll be replacing it with a more WoDish mount.

TheYanger

I don't assume they'd remove brawlers. CMs are content that isn't remotely unique, taking out brawlers removes a lot of mechanics they've only used there and probably took a fair bit of effort.

Compared to CMs, brawlers guild is already HUGELY trivialized by gear, why would they care if it gets trivialized by level too?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I didn't say they'd take out Brawlers. I said they'd replace it with something new. It would likely reuse some bosses and add some new ones with new rewards.

CM isn't trivialized by gear like Brawlers is? That's completely untrue. There's a reason people can 4 man CMs, and it's not just skill. Go kill Kel'Thuzard at level 80 with heroic ICC gear then go kill Arthas with MSV normal mode gear. And they've even said CMs and Brawlers guild is their 'answer' to PVP's seasons.

StayDead

How about rather than being elitist and saying "you can't have it if you don't put as much time in as me". We leave all the mounts in and let people get them whenever they want to.

Taking stuff out of the game to aid elitism is bad and it really pisses me off, as someone who quit at the end of dragonsoul heroic that there's a few things I'll never be able to get purely because I missed out on a few things, especially in raids due to either being swapped out for a certain encounter or quitting before we did it.

StMeph

How about rather than being elitist and saying "you can't have it if you don't put as much time in as me". We leave all the mounts in and let people get them whenever they want to.

Taking stuff out of the game to aid elitism is bad and it really pisses me off, as someone who quit at the end of dragonsoul heroic that there's a few things I'll never be able to get purely because I missed out on a few things, especially in raids due to either being swapped out for a certain encounter or quitting before we did it.

Why is that bad? The items are the final result/reward for completing content for when they were relevant. Even if they can be out-geared like Brawlers', or trivialized like some other content, there's an additional incentive in that one had to be an active subscriber during a specific expansion to be able to get it. The underlying message from Blizzard is: stay on board, or miss out on stuff.

Why is it important that anyone can go get the limited/removed/unattainable stuff again? I'm never going to get some of the items in this expansion, and then they'll be gone from the game. Why should everything be open to everyone? That's the attitude that gets everything watered down until everyone can have everything and go home with a sticker and medal.

StayDead

Why is that bad? The items are the final result/reward for completing content for when they were relevant. Even if they can be out-geared like Brawlers', or trivialized like some other content, there's an additional incentive in that one had to be an active subscriber during a specific expansion to be able to get it. The underlying message from Blizzard is: stay on board, or miss out on stuff.

Why is it important that anyone can go get the limited/removed/unattainable stuff again? I'm never going to get some of the items in this expansion, and then they'll be gone from the game. Why should everything be open to everyone? That's the attitude that gets everything watered down until everyone can have everything and go home with a sticker and medal.

The best way of doing things is do like they did with previous expansions and make most of the things (outside of the realm first mounts and stuff) a 0.1% droprate or however low it is, atleast then people can still get them, it'll just take a lot of effort.

I've played WoW since the very end of vanilla/very beginning of Burning Crusade and there's been a lot of content I've been there for, and some that I've missed for various reasons and when I realise there's stuff that I've been there to get, but missed out on for a variety of reasons out of my control it somewhat annoys me that they're gone for good, although maybe that's just me.

In other news, the guild I'm in as a social rank after knowing people who moved there when my old guild disbanded have just asked me if I'm interesting in raiding again, but it'd mean I'd have to play balance and I've always been a healer, atleast since mid burning crusade and I've no idea if I want to do it or not.

I used to play Mage as my main to start with and I eventually got bored of DPS so I made my resto druid and outside of levelling in Pandaria and a very small amount of raiding at the end of cataclysm I've always been a healer, it's all I know anymore and in a way it's all I want to know. I really want to raid properly again and I know in a top guild like this who already have some of the best healers in the server I doubt I'd even get in as a healer after the break I had and this is a huge oppurtunity.

gaaaah why does this game do this to me all the time. I have no idea what to do >_<

Slayerx

I just noticed that Nagrand on alpha (although I don't think it will stay as is) is nothing like cool concept art they showed at Blizzcon :/ It looks good but eh. I think the zone is the least finished though and most of it is some new trees superimposed on old Nagrand zone as a placeholder. We will see.

Off-topic. Was doing some cleaning and found Diablo II+LoD keys that came with vanilla collector's edition. So it wasn't on the USB after all :p Anyone want? Diablo thread is icky.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After doing Heroic Immerseus with my new guild, I have to ask... How the fuck did my old guild ever fail on Heroic Immerseus.

I'm looking forward more to Spires than Nagrand, honestly.
Arrak_Landscape_Color.jpg

TheYanger

I didn't say they'd take out Brawlers. I said they'd replace it with something new. It would likely reuse some bosses and add some new ones with new rewards.

CM isn't trivialized by gear like Brawlers is? That's completely untrue. There's a reason people can 4 man CMs, and it's not just skill. Go kill Kel'Thuzard at level 80 with heroic ICC gear then go kill Arthas with MSV normal mode gear. And they've even said CMs and Brawlers guild is their 'answer' to PVP's seasons.

If they're going to just rebalance the bosses, why would they remove the rewards. Brawlers is 100% gear trivial, in fact if they did that, it would probably mean it was HARDER for people who get it at 100 than it is for people who get it right now.

CMs are easier with gear, yes, but it's specific gear not just vague 'higher ilevel gear' aside from sockets being silly. The real reason CMs are easier is because people know how to do them more efficiently and because of class changes to be totally honest.

Shahadan

In Warlords of Draenor, your map will show you where to go to continue the main storyline, along with the locations of bonus objectives.
The bonus objectives no longer have any story text that go with them, just a list of objectives. Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading.

Fuck this shit sideways. The "sidequests" text was the one I liked the most. And this won't make people read quests more, and Blizzard knows it, so it's just annoying.

Kuntz

Fuck this shit sideways. The "sidequests" text was the one I liked the most. And this won't make people read quests more, and Blizzard knows it, so it's just annoying.

So if i understand this correctly (i doubt it), story related quests will have text, side quests will just be "go do this or fetch this or kill this" and that's all?

If that's the case yeah, it's a pity...

ampere

Add another thing to my 'haha stuff i have that won't obtainable in WoD'

Fuck Hexos. The snake wasn't that bad.

Hm? Did they say they are removing the Brawler's Guild rewards? I've been wondering what they'll do with that in WoD.

I hope Garrisons aren't "Optional but feel required" :(

Yeah, hoping that too. They look super cool, but I don't want to have to do it. It can be hard for me to play WoW sometimes without getting too roped into min/maxing stuff.

Well back to Pandaria to fish. Got bored of Grizzly Hills pretty fast haha.

I also found out from the help of a fellow angler that you don't even need the mount for the title x_X

Yup, Accomplished Angler doesn't include Turtles All the Way Down.

I still just need One That Didn't Get Away for the title. I've spent many an hour trying, but alas. The achievement is lying, they did get away!!

TheYanger

Of two minds on the quest text thing:
On the one hand, it reeks of time saver nonsense on their end.
On the other hand: Nobody reads them, and I think merely by having EVERY quest have mountains of text, encourages people not to read the fairly important ones either.
It's kind of a case where it both lets them focus their efforts where it's more important, AND it will cause at least some percentage of players to give more of a shit when it is there.

I enjoy the lore, but I absolutely will not read quests as they have been for 10 years, unless I know ahead of time HEY THIS IS A MAJOR QUEST for some reason, which typically involves spoilers and thus not reading it anyway. If there are like 10 I have to read in a zone I probably will do it. Don't need to know your grandma is dying and needs bear ass stew, but I would like to know that Voljin has been poisoned by an assassin and we think it was Sylvannas or whatever.

frequency

I thought it was just "bonus objectives" that wouldn't have text. I didn't know all side quests were going to be without text too?

Or are they calling all those non-main story quests "bonus objectives" now?

As long as it's not like here is the one main quest, everything else is just objective lists, then I'm fine with it I think.

ampere

I've always thought it was silly that Mr. Pinchy didn't count for that.

Well there's another achievement for Pinchy. Maybe I will try again soon.

Of two minds on the quest text thing:
On the one hand, it reeks of time saver nonsense on their end.
On the other hand: Nobody reads them, and I think merely by having EVERY quest have mountains of text, encourages people not to read the fairly important ones either.
It's kind of a case where it both lets them focus their efforts where it's more important, AND it will cause at least some percentage of players to give more of a shit when it is there.

I enjoy the lore, but I absolutely will not read quests as they have been for 10 years, unless I know ahead of time HEY THIS IS A MAJOR QUEST for some reason, which typically involves spoilers and thus not reading it anyway. If there are like 10 I have to read in a zone I probably will do it. Don't need to know your grandma is dying and needs bear ass stew, but I would like to know that Voljin has been poisoned by an assassin and we think it was Sylvannas or whatever.

I strongly agree with what I bolded. There was so much text 'noise' when every quest had a long message, that sometimes I would skip reading funny/significant ones. I have read a large number of the quests in the game and some of the little fetch quests have great writing... but it's wasted on the small % that read it.

It's a great idea from a development speed PoV and a great idea from a player PoV IMO. Great change all around. This will probably help them feasibly add new quests with content patches too

StayDead

Some guy just ninja'd a direhorn mount from me off of the warbringer. He abused my trust :(

I asked him if he needed or greeded and he said greed so I did the same. Why am I so trustworthy. I should've learnt after RFC 10 years ago when some warrior took a piece of cloth armor I wanted as a mage x_x

RPGCrazied

I thought they upped the drop rate on secrets? Gosh, I'm 15/20 right now. I really hope I can get the cloak. Since WoD isn't coming until Fall, I'm guessing I still have plenty of time.

Dawg

It's been like two weeks since Blizzard announced the alpha, and it's still employee only atm.

I remember receiving a mail for the F&F alpha that they would further contact you when the friends/family alpha access would go live. I also remember expecting that to happen the same day or maybe the next day.

Oh well.

Any day now....

....right?

I actually received another mail with "soon&#8482;", goddamnit blizzard

Dicer

Banned
Some guy just ninja'd a direhorn mount from me off of the warbringer. He abused my trust :(

I asked him if he needed or greeded and he said greed so I did the same. Why am I so trustworthy. I should've learnt after RFC 10 years ago when some warrior took a piece of cloth armor I wanted as a mage x_x

Copy that text to a gm, fuck that guy...

ampere

It's been like two weeks since Blizzard announced the alpha, and it's still employee only atm.

I remember receiving a mail for the F&F alpha that they would further contact you when the friends/family alpha access would go live. I also remember expecting that to happen the same day or maybe the next day.

Oh well.

Any day now....

....right?

I actually received another mail with "soon™", goddamnit blizzard

Well they gave out beta keys at PAX, so I would assume pretty soon. It's already in 'take home alpha' phase for employees, so they are getting data from that for a bit I guess.

Berordn

Well they gave out beta keys at PAX, so I would assume pretty soon. It's already in 'take home alpha' phase for employees, so they are getting data from that for a bit I guess.

They keys they gave out at PAX were intended to be for a future testing phase, if I read it right.

Tamanon

Banned
Alpha updated. More tweaks mainly. DKs get Army of the Dead back and a 20 yard extension for Mind Freeze which is super nice.

PatDH

I thought they upped the drop rate on secrets? Gosh, I'm 15/20 right now. I really hope I can get the cloak. Since WoD isn't coming until Fall, I'm guessing I still have plenty of time.

How many weeks have you been on secrets? I got 7 my first week then 7 again my second week. Only ran first wing of ToT so far this reset so I have 5 to go aswell. Still have my 2 definite drops so hoping I can get secrets done this week :)

Khezu

Improved Frost Nova was reworked - After casting Frost Nova, the cooldown of Blink is reset

Awesome.

It was obviously going to be changed, but fuck them for even thinking that was a good idea.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How quickly my Enhancement can kill Warscouts is about the funniest thing ever. I pop my wolves, FET, run up and stormstrike ascend, stormblast oh it's dead already

The other interesting thing of note in that patch (which very I lightly skimmed) was that there will now be a FoS + Title for having held a realm best (any of them) challenge mode time/title. Suppose that's the best way to solve it.

Fjordson

How quickly my Enhancement can kill Warscouts is about the funniest thing ever. I pop my wolves, FET, run up and stormstrike ascend, stormblast oh it's dead already
:lol damn. Still takes me a while on my hunter.

Speaking of enhancement, I'm very, very close to boosting my 61 enhancement shaman. Not even because of their DPS, they just seem like a lot of fun. And I haven't played a melee class since vanilla.

mclem

Cast Down - High Justicar Vidiya summons a Solar Zealot to grab a player and throw them over the balcony.

It's LK Valks all over again!

Has there been any word on if Garrisons will open up DEing random greens to all? It seems like a logical thing given the ease of "Roll to DE" these days, but on the other hand, it seems like something that's perhaps be a little awkward to implement (Do you only allow BoEs? Quest soulbounds? Allow anything DEed, including things that have seen reasonable use?)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sword_2h_DraenorChallenge_D_01.jpg

That's a cool sword. The filename is marked as "DraenorChallenge", and blizzard did mention that WoD challenge modes would have weapon models this go 'round.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just look at that wonderful human model. Who needs spiky boots to kill someone with a kick when you've got sharp feet?

RPGCrazied

How many weeks have you been on secrets? I got 7 my first week then 7 again my second week. Only ran first wing of ToT so far this reset so I have 5 to go aswell. Still have my 2 definite drops so hoping I can get secrets done this week :)

Spoke to soon. I got 4 last night. lol. Just one more. How much more is left after this?

I'm guessing I got a lot to go.

I'm been trying to farm that damn Tolvir mount, its the only thing that keeps me playing right now. Does anyone know if its better to farm MOP sites and trade them in for Tolvir artifacts or farm Kalimdor and hope for uldum dig sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom