• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMeph

Spoke to soon. I got 4 last night. lol. Just one more. How much more is left after this?

I'm guessing I got a lot to go.

Heart of Lei Shen and 12 Titan Runestones from T3-4 and O1-2. Then just some personal Scenarios/questing and killing all four Celestials on Timeless Isle, all of which can be done in a single day.

You're basically done after Runestones, but they have a lower drop rate than Secrets.

RPGCrazied

Heart of Lei Shen and 12 Titan Runestones from T3-4 and O1-2. Then just some personal Scenarios/questing and killing all four Celestials on Timeless Isle, all of which can be done in a single day.

You're basically done after Runestones, but they have a lower drop rate than Secrets.

Ugh. I'm already tired of Throne of Thunder. I have to keep farming for a new drop? Already came this far, might as well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Ugh. I'm already tired of Throne of Thunder. I have to keep farming for a new drop? Already came this far, might as well.

Yeah it's pretty lame. The Runestones drop from the last 2 wings of ToT and the first 2 wings of SoO.

Remember you are guaranteed one from Sha of Pride and Lei Shen.

My guild H Malkorok last night and we're onto Spoils. Fight seems like a pain i nthe ass. :(

TheYanger

spoils is pretty easy, I'd say it's a very obvious gradient from nazgrim to malk to spoils to thok. with a bit more of a wall for siege probably.

Honestly, as long as you open shit fast enough and people dps the correct targets, there's nothing special to spoils though.

1up

I'm been trying to farm that damn Tolvir mount, its the only thing that keeps me playing right now. Does anyone know if its better to farm MOP sites and trade them in for Tolvir artifacts or farm Kalimdor and hope for uldum dig sites?

Way better off getting the collector achievements in Pandaria and using the solves for Tol'vir artifacts. It sucks because its still SUPER low doing it that way. I've done 80+ solves that way.

Robin64

GarrisonMapShadowmoon3A.png

garrisonmapfrostfire3h.png

Fjordson

I'm been trying to farm that damn Tolvir mount, its the only thing that keeps me playing right now. Does anyone know if its better to farm MOP sites and trade them in for Tolvir artifacts or farm Kalimdor and hope for uldum dig sites?
I would say trading MoP solves for Tol'vir fragments. And I use the Mantid Sonic Locator or whatever it's called so every dig site is mantid. Only have to fly between Dread Wastes and Townlong Steppes so it goes a little quicker.

I'm over 230 solves and still don't have the damn thing, though =[

Robin64

Yeah, the Horde one right now is just a screenshot taken from slightly above (hence the walls being untextured) with a filter on, as a placeholder. I guess they'll draw over it in a bit.

Confirmed they are only in Frostfire and Shadowmoon though.

Dawg

I'm pretty sure the garrisons are gonna be a huge timesink for me, it'll be battle pets all over again.

Actually... I have a feeling it'll be worse.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yeah, the Horde one right now is just a screenshot taken from slightly above (hence the walls being untextured) with a filter on, as a placeholder. I guess they'll draw over it in a bit.

Confirmed they are only in Frostfire and Shadowmoon though.

Once again confirming that I'm making the right choice by focusing blueside in WoD. God Shadowmoon looks so good from what we've seen. Dat skybox <3

RPGCrazied

On timeless isle? They're world bosses.

Edit: Oh, sorry, seen the rest of the conversation. I suspect he means OQ, but I could be wrong.

Maybe he did mean something else. I led to believe you could que for those bosses in the LFR window. I'm guessing you can't for this. Which kinda sucks, cause nobody really kills them on my server, not even alliance.

ampere

We posting screenshots? :p I have a somewhat funny one.

Bug during MoP beta where Blood Elf males had messed up armor textures and were bugged to randomly dance and be stuck standing on mounts. I was using the Orb of Sindorei.

Fjordson

Guys, I want to pull the trigger on this 90 boost on my shaman. Should I do it? Or is shaman the worst class ever and I just don't know it? Enhance seems really fun and I can offspec resto if I ever feel like healing.

Dicer

Banned
Just watched the "Azeroth chopper" episode, cringe worthy....

As I see it going down, horde will get their free bike, and shortchange alliance once again...should be a solid way to piss people off even more.

It sucks because i love everything about this expansion coming up so far, but then they pull a lame stunt like that, and leave a bad taste.

Touch

mother fucker i just accidentally deleted my authenticator from my phone and I don't have any of the info to get it back. fml

Dawg

Garrisons a goldsink huh? Not good :( I barely have 20k.

Meanwhile my brother is swimming in millions and won't even give me a tiny bit of gold ;_;

Guys, I want to pull the trigger on this 90 boost on my shaman. Should I do it? Or is shaman the worst class ever and I just don't know it? Enhance seems really fun and I can offspec resto if I ever feel like healing.
I've been playing enhancement for over two years and love it. And I didn't think I'd really get into anything other than tanking after doing that for four or five years nearly exclusively prior to starting an enhancement shaman.

With WoD changes this could be different then but the amount of versatility shamans have is pretty great and we do wonderful burst damage which can be really fun. In terms of what I do recall from the WoD alpha patch notes most everything is changing for the better for enhancement shamans so if that's the spec you have in mind things are looking good.

Couple things to note. We've very weapon dependent so if you're having bad luck on weapon drops it can get annoying. Also, and this really fits any dps, it takes some effort to actually play the class well. I've seen some drastic dps differences between myself and other enhance shamans despite being close in ilvl and odds are it's because they're not using every ability as well as they could.

Also, I wish we could solo as well as some other classes but we can still have fairly squishy moments. There's a decent amount of stuff to help keep us alive but I do still miss the survivability of being a tank at time when I'm trying to solo something silly.

CassSept

We posting screenshots? :p I have a somewhat funny one.

Bug during MoP beta where Blood Elf males had messed up armor textures and were bugged to randomly dance and be stuck standing on mounts. I was using the Orb of Sindorei.

I remember in early Cata beta the game thought every mount was multi-passenger mount. Thus if you mounted someone else's mount you'd be stuck standing on the give mount's head :)

Also in early WotLK (unless they didn't fix it yet, it was definitely in live back in 3.0) during this quest in Grizzly Hills in which you mounted a red proto-drake the quest wouldn't dismount you, so you'd be mounted on your mount, WHICH in turn would be mounted on the red proto. Amani Bear on red proto looked ridiculously awesome!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The most recent alpha build (18156) added a very interesting console variable - ffxAntiAliasingMode. Now, this build appears to have multisampling not modifiable via the settings menu, as shown by this screenshot:

wod_18156_settingsdif5y.png

Changing multisampling (gxMultisample) via the console appears to be not working/disabled. Changing gxMultisample on the retail login screen works fine.

You can however change multisampling via this new console variable (which is bound by shaders, namely ffx). And this is where I found a peculiar detail, name a new AA mode (I believe WoW natively supports fast approximate anti-aliasing at the moment). Example (not that good) of ffxAntiAliasingMode (at level 3) looks:

wod_18156_settings_ulp4jcb.png

Everything on Ultra, ffxAntiAliasingMode 2 (ought to be FXAA)

Anyway, this new AA mode is introduced at the fourth level of ffxAntiAliasingMode. The levels are as following:

Name: ffxAntiAliasingMode
Help [Command]: ffxAntiAliasingMode Anti Aliasing Mode

ffxAntiAliasingMode 0
FFX: Anti Aliasing Mode disabled

ffxAntiAliasingMode 1
FFX: Anti Aliasing Mode set to FXAA - Quality Level 0

ffxAntiAliasingMode 2
FFX: Anti Aliasing Mode set to FXAA - Quality Level 1

ffxAntiAliasingMode 3
FFX: CMAA Anti Aliasing Mode not available - AA Disabled
Why it's unavailable I don't know, may be because of my GPU or because it hasn't been enabled yet in the software. Anyway, CMAA stands for Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing. Intel has an article on it here; this following excerpt describes the mode well:

Currently two of the most popular PPAA (post-process anti-aliasing) algorithms are:

1. SMAA is an algorithm based on MLAA but with a number of innovations and improvements, and with a number of quality/performance presets. It implements advanced pattern recognition and local contrast adaptation, and the more expensive variations use temporal super-sampling to reduce temporal instability and improve quality. The SMAA algorithm version referenced in this document is the latest public code v2.7.

2. FXAA is a much faster effect. However, FXAA has simpler colour discontinuity shape detection, causing substantial (frequently unwanted) image blurring. It also has fairly limited kernel size by default, so it doesn't sufficiently anti-alias longer edge shapes, while increasing the kernel size impacts performance significantly. FXAA algorithm version referenced in this document is latest public code v3.8.

In this sample we introduce a new technique called Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing (CMAA). CMAA addresses two requirements that are currently not addressed by existing techniques:

1. To run efficiently on low-medium range GPU hardware, such as integrated GPUs, while providing a quality anti-aliasing solution. A budget under 3ms was used as a guide when developing the technique at a resolution of 1600x900 running on a 15watt, 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processor.

2.To be minimally invasive so it can be acceptable as a replacement to 2xMSAA in a wide range of applications, including worst case scenarios such as text, repeating patterns, certain geometries (power lines, mesh fences, foliage), and moving images.

CMAA is positioned between FXAA and SMAA 1x in computation cost (1.0-1.2x the cost of default FXAA 3.8 and 0.55-0.75x the cost of SMAA 1x). Compared to FXAA 3.8, CMAA provides significantly better image quality and temporal stability as it correctly handles edge lines up to 64 pixels long and is based on an algorithm that only handles symmetrical discontinuities in order to avoid unwanted blurring (thus being more conservative). When compared to SMAA 1x it will provide less anti-aliasing as it handles fewer shape types but also causes less blurring, shape distortion, and has more temporal stability (is less affected by small frame-to-frame image changes).

CMAA has four basic logical steps (not necessarily matching the order in the implementation):
1. Image analysis for colour discontinuities (afterwards stored in a local compressed 'edge' buffer). The method used is not unique to CMAA.
2. Extracting locally dominant edges with a small kernel. (Unique variation of existing algorithms).
3. Handling of simple shapes. Not particularly unique.
4. Handling of symmetrical long edge shape. (Unique take on the original MLAA shape Handling algorithm.)
Much more at the link.

As I haven't got access to alpha testing, I can't provide any greater details on performance with this. Nevertheless, it's nice that they are improving on this, even though I don't like that it's shader bound (I play with all shaders disabled).

RPGCrazied

I hope they add the multisampling setting back. I play at 8x and everything looks great. I'd hate to have the image look worse in WoD.

Ultratech

I've been playing enhancement for over two years and love it. And I didn't think I'd really get into anything other than tanking after doing that for four or five years nearly exclusively prior to starting an enhancement shaman.

With WoD changes this could be different then but the amount of versatility shamans have is pretty great and we do wonderful burst damage which can be really fun. In terms of what I do recall from the WoD alpha patch notes most everything is changing for the better for enhancement shamans so if that's the spec you have in mind things are looking good.

Couple things to note. We've very weapon dependent so if you're having bad luck on weapon drops it can get annoying. Also, and this really fits any dps, it takes some effort to actually play the class well. I've seen some drastic dps differences between myself and other enhance shamans despite being close in ilvl and odds are it's because they're not using every ability as well as they could.

I remember doing ToT once and we had some Heroic-geared Enhance Shaman with us, and they were putting out crazy damage.
Like they were easily putting out over 300k+ DPS on just about every boss.
(This kinda sold me on Enhancement, plus it sounds pretty fun.)

They got some crazy burst when played right.
I still need to make one...though I haven't been motivated to play lately.

(That'll change next week when I make a mad attempt to get Noblegarden and Children's Week achievements completed for the Purple Proto-Drake.)

I remember doing ToT once and we had some Heroic-geared Enhance Shaman with us, and they were putting out crazy damage.
Like they were easily putting out over 300k+ DPS on just about every boss.
(This kinda sold me on Enhancement, plus it sounds pretty fun.)

They got some crazy burst when played right.
I still need to make one...though I haven't been motivated to play lately.

(That'll change next week when I make a mad attempt to get Noblegarden and Children's Week achievements completed for the Purple Proto-Drake.)
I'm not super great geared, ilvl at 546, and I can easily burst 400-500k and can go higher than that occasionally. It's fun stuff.

I think enhance is great fun and I'll keep to it. I don't even play alts and still don't get tired of playing the character.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's so much shit to do in WoW, I'm starting to think I won't touch my Hunter in WoD.

I just now started doing PVP, that's a whole other time sink especially with RBGs. Then there's Heroic raiding and practicing for that. Achievements. I can't imagine what a timesink Garrisons will be as well

StayDead

Fished up Old Ironjaw then finally went and got my Kael'thas Sunstrider gold coin to finish off that achievement set.

All that's left is the fishing contest and mr pinchy. BRING ON THE SALTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom