• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow...somehow I got School of Hard Knocks last year.

Squishy mage, no PvP gear, no PvP experience...I just hit it hard, played it smart and got lucky.

Bizazedo

Wow I'm an idiot, I didn't realize it was immunity. Do you realize how many bladestorms I could have lol'd out of in arena this week!? That's a lot better than frozen power...

(I just started playing again after a pretty size-able break)

Hah, yep. That's why smart warriors don't charge + BS immediately. Gotta set it up properly.

Now, Druids and Paladins, screw them.

1up

Hah, yep. That's why smart warriors don't charge + BS immediately. Gotta set it up properly.

Now, Druids and Paladins, screw them.

I'm SO GLAD they are making it so Warriors can't Intimidating shout + Bladestorm in WoD. If I don't have a trinket up I'm stuck taking the damage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Need 3 runestones. Can't get a single one from wing 3 or 4 of ToT except Lei Shen. I really hope Blizzard moves away from this horeshit in WoD. 'lol let's make everything RNG based'

Now I have to do lfr/flex wing 1 soo if I want my cloak before raid.

StMeph

Need 3 runestones. Can't get a single one from wing 3 or 4 of ToT except Lei Shen. I really hope Blizzard moves away from this horeshit in WoD. 'lol let's make everything RNG based'

Now I have to do lfr/flex wing 1 soo if I want my cloak before raid.

And probably also O2.

I would guess that part of the reason the cloak is almost entirely based on RNG is that it's available for every class/role. And without having to make too much specialized content, the easiest way for one-size-fits-all is RNG. There are some role-specific scenarios and stuff, but they probably wanted not to spend too much time/money on making more of that content to span the entire questline.

That, and the earlier legendaries weren't much more innovative or special. Collect a bunch of high-level mats and wait for a rare raid drop. Collect a bunch of raid drops over the course of months from bosses in the raid. And so on. Legendaries have always been more about time investment than difficulty, and I think you can say that about WoW as a whole.

StayDead

Squishy mage, no PvP gear, no PvP experience...I just hit it hard, played it smart and got lucky.

I found that really easy the year they added that on my druid. I had no PvP gear or anything but most of them you can do as part of a big group and it helped that I was a healer I guess.

The hardest one was the WSG flag thing purely for being in the right place at the right time, but I mean Eye of the Storm you can get the flag by sheer luck of timing and the other ones are a case of timing too.

Then again, thinking about it if the RNG of situations happening in your favour doesn't favour you I can see why you wouldn't be able to get it.

In terms of legendary quests I'm stuck with 0 secrets, haven't had a single one drop this week.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
8 bosses and not a single runestone drop. I seriously might quit playing WoW because of today. It's never been more exposed to me what a hamster wheel this is until this very moment.

8 bosses and not a single runestone drop. I seriously might quit playing WoW because of today. It's never been more exposed to me what a hamster wheel this is until this very moment.

Only for gearing. That's why I rarely ever attempt to gear my toons, especially this late in an expansion. LFR is the most boring shit ever. Stand around and do your spell rotation for 30 minutes straight, or more. Fun...

TheYanger

And on the flipside there were probably weeks where you got 4-6 of them. Cry my a river. OH NO IT MIGHT TAKE AN EXTRA HOUR OF MY TIME NEXT WEEK! The law of averages tells me it's PROBABLY taking you the same amount of time it took anyone else that did it post 5.3. MAYBE one week swing one direction or another.

It's taking you a long time because you're playing catchup, it was designed as a rewarding quest for people who went through the whole expansion, they already have posted numerous times about how they didn't like how parts of it played out (including how hard it could be to catch up, though they did make it about 5 times easier with 5.3), but the simple fact is if you were doing it as it was released you didn't even have to think about it - this stuff was LONG done before it ever moved on to the next step each time. My titan runestones probably took (dead serious) 6 times as long as yours did, and it made no difference because they were still finished before you could do the next part of the quest. Same for the vast majority of the playerbase. So no, it wasn't a hamster wheel, it was just a quest you picked up and largely ignored while you did shit you were doing anyway, which is the intent behind it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
An extra hour of my time? How is that when I'm arbitrary locked out of runestone drops for a week? Is it somehow my fault that Blizzard implemented an overpowered item that is pretty much required for any serious end-game raiding? I sure didn't implement the item. Did you?

Entropia

No One Remembers
An extra hour of my time? How is that when I'm arbitrary locked out of runestone drops for a week? Is it somehow my fault that Blizzard implemented an overpowered item that is pretty much required for any serious end-game raiding? I sure didn't implement the item. Did you?

It's also an item that requires your efforts to get. You can't just... get it.

Yeah the RNG aspect of the questline was shitty and I hope if they do the same thing next expansion that they don't do it... but if you want the item you have to put in the work.

[blank] loot is [blank]

Yeah the RNG aspect of the questline was shitty and I hope if they do the same thing next expansion that they don't do it

The RNG aspect of the questline for a legendary cloak is worse than it has been for any legendary item since Thunderfury. Atiesh/Fangs/Val'anyr/Shadowmourne/ weren't this bad.

TheYanger

The RNG aspect of the questline for a legendary cloak is worse than it has been for any legendary item since Thunderfury. Atiesh/Fangs/Val'anyr/Shadowmourne/ weren't this bad.

Patently false. Not sure what to say about it besides that. Only difference? There are more steps. You need a bunch of relatively high droprate items, with several guaranteed drops sprinkled throughout the zones, as opposed to lower droprate items most of which didn't even have a guarantee from anyone. You could just as easily get nothing for Shadowmourne, and Valanyr could've taken what, 30 weeks? if you had the worst luck in the universe.

No, I didn't. I could care less if the cloak existed or didn't, but it was put in as a nice item for people that went through all of the content. When you come back a year later and want it, EXPECT TO HAVE TO PUT IN SOME WORK. you are still putting in vastly less time than everyone else did, you're just noticing it because it's all at once. And yes, it is an extra hour tops of your time. Yes, you have to wait a week, but you don't have to do jack shit during said week to earn it. I did all of this on my DK when it was current, and I'm telling you it was absolutely not even noticeable beyond the excitement of getting the interim rewards (which, similarly, you basically just 'got' if you were caught up already). I've also done it AFTER 5.3 on 3 other characters. It was easy on all of them. One character might take 1 week more or 1 week less purely due to RNG, but crying that you're going to quit the game because you didnt' get a drop one week is some super dramatic shit. Did you go back to the weeks when you got more than average and go "I'm going to sub an extra month in the future due to my good fortune this week"?
Do you threaten to quit every time you don't get a drop that you want? It's the same shit as always, you're just experiencing a years worth of highs and lows in a period of 2 months because of being freshly back to the game, so give yourself some perspective - Waiting another week will do absolutely nothing negative to you. Yes, the cloaks are powerful, but you've managed thusfar without it, waiting until tuesday will not kill you. The best part is that from your post, you STILL are getting a guaranteed one from Sha of Pride, and if you need more you have 7 other chances in those two wings. So you may not even have to wait, you can opt to invest a bit more time and finish.

Under the current system the absolute worst the runestone step can be is 6 weeks. That's like 1/3 of what it took me to do that step, and the reality is nobody is going to actually take 6 weeks, I'd wager it's been like 3. That really doesnt' seem unreasonable to me for an item that is such a massive gain in power which is ONLY gated by the time it takes to get since it's attainable in LFR.

I mean, I get you're frustrated but "IM GOING TO QUIT THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT" stuff is extreme and silly. Take a step back and breathe man.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It doesn't. That's kind of Dragonzord's point.

A legendary item should take at least 4 months to craft start to finish.

This questline you get 3 gems before you get the cloak. This is the easiest, most rewarding crafted legendary ever.

That cloak is fantastic, it shouldn't be handed to you.

The point is all moot anyway, they're not changing it before 6.0, so why complain?

Patently false. Not sure what to say about it besides that. Only difference? There are more steps. You need a bunch of relatively high droprate items, with several guaranteed drops sprinkled throughout the zones, as opposed to lower droprate items most of which didn't even have a guarantee from anyone. You could just as easily get nothing for Shadowmourne, and Valanyr could've taken what, 30 weeks? if you had the worst luck in the universe.

I earned my cloak before the latest changes to the quest, back when you were guaranteed at most one drop per week and it was a mandatory six week grind for the valor in between.

TheYanger

I earned my cloak before the latest changes to the quest, back when you were guaranteed at most one drop per week and it was a mandatory six week grind for the valor in between.

What does that have to do with anything though? I earned it when there were 0 guaranteed drops per week. (well, finished the quest to wait for the patch anyway). I went over a month with 0 runestones.

The point of all this wasn't to sound overly harsh, which I may have, but merely to say get a friggin grip. This is hardly the end of the world.

sqwarlock

how did it take you 5 years to do out of interest? :eek:

Well I've been playing off and on and off again since vanilla, and it just so happens that a lot of my long-term breaks coincided with the holidays that I hadn't completed. Also sometimes I just forgot about the holidays and wouldn't actively go for their achievements.

What does that have to do with anything though? I earned it when there were 0 guaranteed drops per week. (well, finished the quest to wait for the patch anyway). I went over a month with 0 runestones.

The point of all this wasn't to sound overly harsh, which I may have, but merely to say get a friggin grip. This is hardly the end of the world.

I'm offering my perspective. This is how you have a discussion.

Ultratech

So...who broke Battle.net?

I got stuck in a queue trying to login to the client...so yeah.

Not fun.

Finally get a second 561 trinket and it's Sigil of Rampage which sucks ass for hunters :lol actually a DPS loss compared to my 548 trinket from Siegecrafter.

Eh...it's alright for Survival and maybe Marks, but totally sucks for BM.

Guys, guys, guys...I WAS WRONG!

Grats!

I should be getting mine here either tonight or tomorrow.

Got School of Hard Knocks done last night (amazingly), so I got some easy stuff left.

Biggest pain in the ass was Eye of the Storm.

Capturing that flag is in a practice in insanity on Children's Week.

(Though glyphed Explosive Traps is mad funny when you send a ton of people flying to their death into the abyss.)

PatDH

Talking about Secrets.. started them last week & got 5. Have not been as lucky this week though. Have 4 bosses left & have only got my 2 guaranteed drops so far. Definitely random! Haha. Hope I can get 1 more to drop this week since then ill know ill only have a max of 2 weeks left :)
Pretty excited really as the cape should take me to iLv550 or so.

Oh & randomly decided to try to get my first Spirit Beast yesterday. Got the bear after 15 minutes of waiting!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I literally just had a moment in heroic protectors where, if I had gotten my cloak this week, we wouldn't have wiped. Like 1 % on Rook with the other two casting bond and just barely missing it. Me being the only dps alive.

Though they moved me out and kept wiping after that even with better dps, so I take solace in that.

I literally just had a moment in heroic protectors where, if I had gotten my cloak this week, we wouldn't have wiped. Like 1 % on Rook with the other two casting bond and just barely missing it. Me being the only dps alive.

Though they moved me out and kept wiping after that even with better dps, so I take solace in that.

Heh I know that feeling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Heh I know that feeling.

It's funny because we just had a 'meeting' that was like 14 seconds earlier with the raid lead telling people who was going to sit who's fucking up because we need to progress at a faster rate. Then we(a 10/14H guild) wipe all over the place on the second boss.

Two of the top DPS who are almost always in keep dying too. It's nuts. I turned off my headset, but I can just imagine my raid lead swearing an unholy storm right now.

So...who broke Battle.net?

I got stuck in a queue trying to login to the client...so yeah.

Not fun.

I'm getting constant 'you have been disconnected from Battle.net' messages. It's not kicking me out of the game but it is concerning.

Edit: just as I post that I get booted from the server. Tempted fate.

Zona

I never loved being a Rogue more then when I got to this achievement. I got them all in a day thanks to stealth.

Robin64

PvP sounds appealing again to me in WoD. The notion of loot crates at the end of BGs depending on how well you did and those crates containing easy to get Starter PvP gear is nice. The beginning of PvP in an expansion is always tough if you weren't gearing up right away, so this should help a LOT.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how to post twitter links but just saw the Ashran pic posted by mmo-champion and am amazed at one little snippet.

https://twitter.com/ckaleiki/status/461302157417775104/photo/1

In Ashran, if you kill someone... you get their stuff

It's only Ashran-specific stuff.

They can steal zone-bound items in Ashran. Which is currency, rep, gear etc. Tip: Don't carry too much or you risk losing it all

O_O
As annoying as it could end up being I'm glad to see Blizz trying something new.

Robin64

That IS amazing! If you're scared of losing stuff, don't carry too much of it around. Love it! With the BG loot crates and now this, I can safely say I will definitely return to PvP after a fairly long break of it.

Take Warsong Gulch,for example. If your faction captured at least one flag before the game ended, you’ll get the Bronze Strongbox. Capture a second, and you’ll earn both the Bronze and Silver. And if you capture all three, not only do you win the game, but you’ll also earn all three Strongboxes. We’ll be restructuring the scoring of other Battlegrounds slightly (such as changing Arathi Basin to end at 1,500 points) so it’s easy to figure out what you need for each Strongbox.

Inside those Strongboxes could be any number of rewards: Honor points, Conquest points—even gear. Better Strongboxes can have better rewards, so even if your team is behind in the match, it’s worth keeping up the fight to try to earn the best reward you can.

Hellooooooooooo premades.

ampere

I like that corpse looting... and it's specific to Ashran so if you don't like it don't go to Ashran. And I really like the ilevel floor they are giving for queued PvP. Just hit 100 and have like ilevel 500 somehow? You can still queue for a BG and have a decent time.

But they're on the west coast..

lol the life of a WoW dev. Fans: "why you sleeping I have questions!!!!"

mclem

It's funny because we just had a 'meeting' that was like 14 seconds earlier with the raid lead telling people who was going to sit who's fucking up because we need to progress at a faster rate. Then we(a 10/14H guild) wipe all over the place on the second boss.

While I can't wait for Flex in Warlords, it's going to eat away at me that at some points I'm going to just have to bench people because having them is actively detrimental; the nerfs to boss abilities that come from removing them is more potent than the DPS they bring.

I'm not looking forward to having to make that call... but conversely, I am looking forward to having the ability to make that call. For now I'm ensuring that all the players who I don't believe I can rely on are aware of the fact that it's going to be a factor down the line.

1up

While I can't wait for Flex in Warlords, it's going to eat away at me that at some points I'm going to just have to bench people because having them is actively detrimental; the nerfs to boss abilities that come from removing them is more potent than the DPS they bring.

I'm not looking forward to having to make that call... but conversely, I am looking forward to having the ability to make that call. For now I'm ensuring that all the players who I don't believe I can rely on are aware of the fact that it's going to be a factor down the line.

We had to bench a our holy pally that's been part of the main progression group for a very long time. They just couldn't avoid damage, place the fire, and heal at their best on Blackfuse. It was really obvious too because 2-3 attempts after bringing in a new healer we killed him.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So from some of the rumblings I've been hearing - We will likely be getting a bombshell about WoD raiding today. Specifically - Tier gear will only be available from Flex(Normal) and up. No tier gear in LFR.

Also potentially the Garrison Artcraft today. Possibly tomorrow. Its supposed to be sometime this week either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom