• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I remember when Wowhead started out, shortly before BC was out. It was nice and simple and was much ahead of the design curve compared to Thottbot and Alakhazam. Now, they just ruined their site ;'-(

There isn't any real competition though. I know that Curse has the Wowdb off-shoot of Mmo-Champion but the site layout is garbage.

strafer

Come on weekly reset, i've got shit to do.

reset3fkm8.jpg

Slayerx

Blizzard Entertainment expects to launch World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor™, which is already one of the fastest selling expansions in the franchise’s history based on pre-sales
They only lost 200k subs I am shocked.

CassSept

Only 200k subs lost, I'm honestly surprised once again. Still didn't dip under 7.5kk. Nice.

Rösti;110824231 said:
Nintendo's earnings release (for full FY 2013) ain't til tomorrow (with the investor meeting on May 8). Electronic Arts has its Q4 2014 Earnings Conference Call today however (02:00 p.m. PT).

Well, time zones, I've meant Blizz tonight and Nintendo in the morning :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Wow this is horrible. You think Blizzard could pony up for a decent fantasy writer.

I didn't read the excerpt since I'm gonna get it later today, but Christie Golden is the best author to release Warcraft books.

Metzen has done some meh written, but interesting stories, and Richard Knaak doesn't know how to write a cohesive story to save his life, the Malfurion novel was so poorly paced and written it felt like 4 different people wrote it.

The Arthas book was really really good though.

JSoup

Banned
Stormrage isn't a good example of Knaak at his best (and if I'm being honest, anything non- Dragonlance is a bad example of Knaak's writing). That was basically 300 pages of waiting for Malfurion to charge the spirit bomb with the odd cut to other goings on around Namek.

I feel that his best contribution to WoW was the War of the Ancients Trilogy. Everything following that was somewhere between ok and meh. Dawn of the Aspects just droned on and on.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Stormrage isn't a good example of Knaak at his best (and if I'm being honest, anything non- Dragonlance is a bad example of Knaak's writing). That was basically 300 pages of waiting for Malfurion to charge the spirit bomb with the odd cut to other goings on around Namek.

I feel that his best contribution to WoW was the War of the Ancients Trilogy. Everything following that was somewhere between ok and meh. Dawn of the Aspects just droned on and on.

I'm gonna chalk up War of the Ancients to a fluke. The amount of times people jumped in and out of the emerald dream in Stormrage was ridiculous, the story was a mess.

After how big a subscriber exodus they had over the course of MoP it's not too surprising that the numbers have mostly stabilized.

If a similar pattern of sub spike -> 2 years of attrition continues though this game will be at 6M subs by 2016, which is what they had before TBC launched. I wonder where the point of inflection is between them spending resources on big WoW expansions and letting Azeroth coast while Titan ramps up is, or if we're already there.

I enjoy WoW/Warcraft lore a lot more by NOT reading the books

It's a constant source of frustration for me. When Cata launched and Magni was just there under the throne turned for stone I said 'what the fuck' and had to google what happened to him. To say nothing of what they did to other world leaders in Mists. They put all this effort into world events like the Undead Invasion, the re-taking of Gnomeregan/Echo Isles and then we're supposed to read a goddamn comic book or cheap paperback novel to fill in the rest. Every expansion I take my time to do every single quest that's offered and I feel robbed by the many dozens of 'go kill x things, loot y baubles and click z doodads' quests that don't reward me with satisfying lore explaining the state of the game. No, I have to pay more for that. The last time they properly put all the required lore in the game and gave it to you via gameplay was Wrath of the Lich King. Ugh.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's a constant source of frustration for me. When Cata launched and Magni was just there under the throne turned for stone I said 'what the fuck' and had to google what happened to him. To say nothing of what they did to other world leaders in Mists. They put all this effort into world events like the Undead Invasion, the re-taking of Gnomeregan/Echo Isles and then we're supposed to read a goddamn comic book or cheap paperback novel to fill in the rest. Every expansion I take my time to do every single quest that's offered and I feel robbed by the many dozens of 'go kill x things, loot y baubles and click z doodads' quests that don't reward me with satisfying lore explaining the state of the game. No, I have to pay more for that. The last time they properly put all the required lore in the game and gave it to you via gameplay was Wrath of the Lich King. Ugh.

I just check the wikis. They're typically a better written explanation of the crappy books.

Finally got my last fucking Runestone for my Shaman. Just gotta kill Lei Shen again and then I'm off to celestials

Ultratech

I remember when Wowhead started out, shortly before BC was out. It was nice and simple and was much ahead of the design curve compared to Thottbot and Alakhazam. Now, they just ruined their site ;'-(

There isn't any real competition though. I know that Curse has the Wowdb off-shoot of Mmo-Champion but the site layout is garbage.

I remember using Thottbot for a lot of stuff back in the day.
Helped me out quite a bit.

But yeah, Wowdb isn't that great looking, and I really don't like the new Wowhead design.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yep 4 weeks. 4 bosses on heroic each week. 4 gold every time

Now that I have my cloak when I ascend and use my herb haste buff with lust I look like I'm glitching out

ampere

Been farming the Simian Sphere all day, got nearly 3k gold and still have more to sell doing it too.

Seen that drop twice, didn't win it tho.

Wonder if that kind of trinket will go in the account wide 'toybox' in 6.0. Would make it more desirable for sure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I got my cloak and two heroic rings this week. Not so bad. I'm really not going to ask to go on any fights after Galakras until I've got the majority of what I need from wing 1 and Galakras. Juggernaut is a bitch, and I don't want my undergeared self in there until I'm able to blow it up.

The rogue had been waiting since SoO heroic started for them to get the Immerseus neck, and he finally got it. Which means that it will obviously drop every week from now on. Hoping to get me a piece of that action. Cloak has gotten me up to 280k on fights, and 300k on Sha. Even bursted 700k at one point. Gonna be interesting to see what I'm doing with these rings and when I can finally get Heroic Fist weapons

Well that's the first time I've had 2 high priests of ordos and archie pulled onto my ordos group on a pve server.

This is certainly a great world boss design.

TheYanger

Well that's the first time I've had 2 high priests of ordos and archie pulled onto my ordos group on a pve server.

This is certainly a great world boss design.

I'm honestly surrpised you've never seen that before.

Well, I got my cloak and two heroic rings this week. Not so bad. I'm really not going to ask to go on any fights after Galakras until I've got the majority of what I need from wing 1 and Galakras. Juggernaut is a bitch, and I don't want my undergeared self in there until I'm able to blow it up.

The rogue had been waiting since SoO heroic started for them to get the Immerseus neck, and he finally got it. Which means that it will obviously drop every week from now on. Hoping to get me a piece of that action. Cloak has gotten me up to 280k on fights, and 300k on Sha. Even bursted 700k at one point. Gonna be interesting to see what I'm doing with these rings and when I can finally get Heroic Fist weapons

Grats :)

Acidote

Are you an enh shaman or a rogue? If you're a shaman like I am you'll be bursting over a million easily once you get your weapons and a bit more of gear. And you'll learn to love the Juggernaut because you will DESTROY it. I actually have fun with it by being a greedy mf trying to damage him while he is bombarding the whole place, dodging mortars over and over instead of being packed with the rest of the roster at the end of the place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I'm enhancement. One of our healers is the best healers on the server, so I'm not sure what they were struggling with last night. I do like juggernaut just for being a big /flex fight for dps.

Acidote

Yeah, I'm enhancement. One of our healers is the best healers on the server, so I'm not sure what they were struggling with last night. I do like juggernaut just for being a big /flex fight for dps.

Try to be there even if you feel you're undergeared. You'll learn when to pop your cds, when to save them, etc. I always start with everything and save the second ascendance for the end of the mortar phase. Get your timing right, spam your cds as much as you can without waiting for trinkets to trigger or anything and try to have those sames cds available when the RL calls for the bloodlust/heroism. And don't be greedy: two agi potions every try. One right before the pull and one for the bloodlust. They're cheap and worth it specially for a burst heavy class like ours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I pre-pot. Do you run Primal Elementalists? Because I know that's usually the recommended talent for most fights, but I don't have the 4 piece bonus, so I'm wondering if I lose DPS by having that without the 4 piece lava lash procs when fire elemental is up. I might need to simcraft. Which I did, ran 3 with primal and 3 with unleash and got pretty much the same results.

I really need to figure out my lightning bolt filler. Some places have told me, 'do it when nothing's up' others have said, 'do it with at least 1 maelstrom rpoc with nothing off cd' and my friend who's 14/14H on his enhance says to do it when i have at least 3 up with nothing else off cd.

Acidote

I always use lb when I have the instant proc. If there are 3 or more objectives, use CL instead. If the encounter is heavy on ads, glyph your CL to hit four objectives and your lash to distribute the flame shock. I don't like wasting white damage on casting LB even if it's a short cast. If you read some sort of log of your fights you will find white damage as one of your main sources. What your friend told you is actually the best answer, I just don't like casting and whenever I tried it that way the edge was so small that I just played my way because you will see your charges pretty much jump from zero to proc. And once you gear yourself enough you will always have something to do instead. You will always be using flame shock, lava lash, stormstrike, LB whenever the proc shows, earth shock in the meantime and renewing your fire totem. There isn't much time left in between.

And prioritice lava lash over pretty much anything. If it's on cd and you have flame shock applied, use it. If the cd resets it again and you have the flame shock applied, use it.

I go with Primal, but Unleashed Fury works fine too. I feel Primal has a small edge the more you gear up and learn when to drop your elemental.

And yes, the set bonuses are always important for shamans. Back in Cataclysm they actually fixed or broke the class through those bonuses.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
OK! So you just helped me out. I was wondering if LB was fucking up my white damage. It is then? Great, I may just start only casting it when it's an instant proc. So it's better with 0 maelstrom to just have white damage instead of LB filler. I prioritize lava lash a lot, but I don't get as many searing 5 stacks because of not having the 4 piece bonus.

I think Primal is better when you have more Mastery though I have 75% now. But my friend has 85% so who knows.

Robin64

Blizzard said:
While there will be Normal quality and eventually Heroic quality items available from [Garrisons], a hardcore Mythic raider shouldn't find this gear relevant by the time it's available. There's some initial time involved in first leveling up the Garrison, similar to how crafting epics aren't available immediately due to crafting cooldowns. But for players who aren't raiding Mythic, periodically getting Normal and Heroic quality items from Garrisons provides an alternative way to get some gear that's higher than LFR quality without raiding.

RIP in peace, LFR. Blizzard really seem to not want people in there in WoD.

Acidote

OK! So you just helped me out. I was wondering if LB was fucking up my white damage. It is then? Great, I may just start only casting it when it's an instant proc. So it's better with 0 maelstrom to just have white damage instead of LB filler. I prioritize lava lash a lot, but I don't get as many searing 5 stacks because of not having the 4 piece bonus.

I think Primal is better when you have more Mastery though I have 75% now. But my friend has 85% so who knows.

It does affect white damage but after a certain point on your character progression it is negligible, that's why your friend's answer is the best way to do it. I just don't like it.

The bolded part is absolutely right though. You should never be casting zero charges LBs. Try to cast a zero charge LB on a target dummy and watch your white damage while you cast it.

Lava lash is big even without the stacks, but forget to renew your totem for ten seconds and you will notice it by watching your skada meter drop hard.

Get your 4 piece bonus. Do LFR, Flex, steal, rob or murder for it. But you go get it. The bonus is probably more important than having any better specific item on a set slot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I have shockandawe to keep my eye on my totems/fire elemental. I wouldn't mind getting my 4 piece, but I don't know how my guild feels about clearing normals after our progression. They did it last week, so it may become more normal. Our guild has real bad luck getting Protector tokens to drop. Still haven't gotten one off Sha or Nazgrim.

I'm not pugging though. I'm done pugging anything that's remotely challenging.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish there was 3 things non-raid to bonus roll on so my alts stop capping on seals. Only so many times I cna roll Ordos and Celestials

strafer

So..it's only one of the celestial bosses on TI that drops something on weekly reset and not all four right?

So if something drops on one drop there isn't going to be more drops this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom