• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

RIP in peace, LFR. Blizzard really seem to not want people in there in WoD.

Well with the 50% chance to get loot from an LFR boss, it looks like Blizzard intends you to only need to run a tier 2 or 3 times on a toon and be fully decked out in LFR gear. I don't see how that's "not wanting people there".

The point is to keep the rewards to the organized raiding to encourage people doing it, and have LFR as a way to see the content and still get some gear quickly. I think the new group finder will be really legit and more people than ever will be able to hop in normal (currently called flex).

Entropia

No One Remembers

LFR is intended for people to just see the content, end of the storyline in that tier, don't want to raid on a schedule, etc.

Who's gonna try for Blizzcon Tickets tonight?! :D

JCizzle

Well with the 50% chance to get loot from an LFR boss, it looks like Blizzard intends you to only need to run a tier 2 or 3 times on a toon and be fully decked out in LFR gear. I don't see how that's "not wanting people there".

The point is to keep the rewards to the organized raiding to encourage people doing it, and have LFR as a way to see the content and still get some gear quickly. I think the new group finder will be really legit and more people than ever will be able to hop in normal (currently called flex).

I have my doubts. 1. I'm not sure I trust the community to police itself; and 2. There are going to be a lot of bad players flooding into that tool being pushed to harder content. LFR can be toxic enough with easy stuff, I'm worried it will be amplified.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Great thing about new expansion is all the returning players. Meaning I ain't pugging shit to raid or get gear to raid. Guild heroic runs all day.

RPGCrazied

Yeah. Sad day. Though I'm loving the wow forums, basically you get nonstop posts about how they hate the LFR change. It wouldn't be so bad though if the LFR gear they showed wasn't plain ugly. Sure you can transmog over it, but that's not the point. LFR isn't easy most of the time, I still see many wipes, even with a full stack of Determination. If they wanted to keep the tier in LFR, just get rid of the buff.

I will never support this change to LFR, regardless of what people may say.

Finished Salty today!

Also bought an Ethereal Soul-Trader for 34k. May or may not be duped but whatevs. A bit disappointed with it already, but it's still fairly cool. At worst I can raise it to level 25 and resell it for a profit or minimal loss.

Does mean I'm down to a little over 200k gold from the 263k I had the other day this week. And I may have to buy challenge modes at some point too. Would rather not go into WoD with less than 200k, preferably more, but I certainly won't let myself get below 100k. But after you have enough to be comfortable and not worry about consumables and the like, I suppose there's not much reason to hoard it besides to buy big ticket vanity items like I just did.

Annoying thing with spending ~60k so quickly is that with the current economy it'll probably take me at least about a month to make that back, and not just passively, but working on it/farming.

StMeph

LFR isn't easy most of the time, I still see many wipes, even with a full stack of Determination.

LFR is bad because people are allowed to be bad. Part of it is carries, but most of it is just that the mechanics are so neutered and the number of people actually needed to beat something so few relative to the total number of players involved that many are able to not pay attention, faceroll, or die without any sense of responsibility or failure and still complete an encounter and get loot.

There's no need to learn how to play a class, or even basic raid awareness, because the boss still ends up dead, and the raid still ends up done. Good riddance.

StayDead

LFR is bad because people are allowed to be bad. Part of it is carries, but most of it is just that the mechanics are so neutered and the number of people actually needed to beat something so few relative to the total number of players involved that many are able to not pay attention, faceroll, or die without any sense of responsibility or failure and still complete an encounter and get loot.

There's no need to learn how to play a class, or even basic raid awareness, because the boss still ends up dead, and the raid still ends up done. Good riddance.

When I did my first "proper" raid after being stuck with LFR for ages I was astounded how much more I had to pay attention again. It was like I was back raiding properly again in TBC. I thought the fights seemed really easy.

I got incredibly confused with Thok's constant silencing though, caught me off guard and I had no idea how to DPS him :p

ampere

I have my doubts. 1. I'm not sure I trust the community to police itself; and 2. There are going to be a lot of bad players flooding into that tool being pushed to harder content. LFR can be toxic enough with easy stuff, I'm worried it will be amplified.

Some players like me will use the system in positive ways, I plan to lead normal runs for fun. I LOVED leading ICC 10 and 25 pugs during Wrath when my server was bustling on Alliance side. Add the entire region pool to the group finder and I will have a field day. Met a lot of great people and I think that'll continue in WoD. You're right that there will be toxic leaders and some less than nice people... but there will be good people and fun to be had. Can't decide if I want to do Mythic on top of that, I'd need to find a new realm and guild.

Also bought an Ethereal Soul-Trader for 34k. May or may not be duped but whatevs. A bit disappointed with it already, but it's still fairly cool. At worst I can raise it to level 25 and resell it for a profit or minimal loss.

Wat
wat
wat...
34k for one of those... the cards cost like $200. Definitely a dupe, but I'm jelly since I'd love to have that pet.

Wat
wat
wat...
34k for one of those... the cards cost like $200. Definitely a dupe, but I'm jelly since I'd love to have that pet.

I don't get "dupes." Will you get banned for buying one on the AH? Will the item disappear? What's the problem? And how do these players dupe things anyway?

StMeph

I don't get "dupes." Will you get banned for buying one on the AH? Will the item disappear? What's the problem? And how do these players dupe things anyway?

Usually the item disappears, so you're out the gold you paid, with no chance of recovering it. No bans that I know of.

No clue how it's done, though.

ampere

Usually the item disappears, so you're out the gold you paid, with no chance of recovering it. No bans that I know of.

Some of my guildies bought Crimson Deathchargers for 20k in Cata, which were obviously duped the guy had tons of them, and they still have them afaik.

I don't think Blizzard punishes the purchaser, but I'm only speculating. Safest thing is to not buy obviously duped items, but sometimes how would you know?

Marven

I bought one yesterday on my AH for 43k and saw a few others around that price. I'm thinking you're right about people dupe'ing those. He's now banned from my guild's raids since everyone kept clicking on him while trying to loot corpses. Poor little guy. My only complaint with him is that if you kill a bunch of mobs at once, he only grabs one soul.

I'm pretty okay with the LFR change. LFR was my only real source of raiding until my (very) recent forays into flex, but essentially having to live there to get the gear to look for a guild who could use my barely last tier gear made that train of thought pretty much pointless.

If the group finder is anywhere as good as they're trying to make it out to be, I think LFR being optional with "normal" being the new standard is a very distinct possibility. And on the topic of appearances, I actually like the LFR gear. Them deciding to go back to parallel PVP/PVE looks was almost disappointing, but if it means we get a new LFR set every tier in addition to distinct normal and mythic tier, with conquest point "tier" being a consolation for those unable to get into a flex group, I'm not worried. PvP sets could very well have some cool set bonuses of their own, now that resilience is dead/not on items anymore

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I've never heard of anyone ever losing an duped item, especially mounts, that they bought from the AH.

Especially since the amount of gold they paid is tracked, there's no way Blizzard has ever done that.

I bought one yesterday on my AH for 43k and saw a few others around that price. I'm thinking you're right about people dupe'ing those. He's now banned from my guild's raids since everyone kept clicking on him while trying to loot corpses. Poor little guy. My only complaint with him is that if you kill a bunch of mobs at once, he only grabs one soul.

Hahaha oh wow.jpg

I'm pretty okay with the LFR change. LFR was my only real source of raiding until my (very) recent forays into flex, but essentially having to live there to get the gear to look for a guild who could use my barely last tier gear made that train of thought pretty much pointless.

If the group finder is anywhere as good as they're trying to make it out to be, I think LFR being optional with "normal" being the new standard is a very distinct possibility. And on the topic of appearances, I actually like the LFR gear. Them deciding to go back to parallel PVP/PVE looks was almost disappointing, but if it means we get a new LFR set every tier in addition to distinct normal and mythic tier, with conquest point "tier" being a consolation for those unable to get into a flex group, I'm not worried. PvP sets could very well have some cool set bonuses of their own, now that resilience is dead/not on items anymore

What does that mean? There's nothing ever distinct about the LFR gear color besides that's just the one they assigned to LFR stats, you're just fooling yourself into not caring about the colors you can't get. I also haven't seen where they said PvP gear is going to look like PvE gear again, If anything it won't be like BC Arena recolors it'll just be like similar designs.

I'd be willing to bet money that the LFR gear will always look the same and just be recolored tier after tier, that would be hilarious.

JSoup

Banned

From what I've seen, Blizz seems to only really care if cash shop items are duped. I've had rare drops accidentally dupe on me, only to have a blue say "That's cool, enjoy."

FUCK.

FUCKING FUCK PROVING GROUNDS.

Getting so close only to fail and have to start over is the most infuriating thing. Got to the end of round 29 once, and 27 after failed attempts that were worse.

Gets pretty difficult.

I don't even care about the title that much, I just want to show off that I can do it, since the skill level required is much higher than the average WoW player could muster. Like no joke, it's harder than more than a handful of heroic raid bosses.

I'll keep trying in my free time I guess, but a long/full attempt takes about a half hour.

ampere

Anyone played WoW or other games on a Surface Pro 2? Thinking about getting one so I can game during work trips. I know a desktop is always better, but I'm really needing portability now.

Any other laptop/tablet recommendations are cool too.

TheYanger

If you learn it it's yours. I've got tons of duped mounts and pets and so do lots of other people I know. It's not like you can be responsible for shit being cheap on the AH (Unless they want to go the arenanet route of banning you and making you apologize for buying things in the game).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If you learn it it's yours. I've got tons of duped mounts and pets and so do lots of other people I know. It's not like you can be responsible for shit being cheap on the AH (Unless they want to go the arenanet route of banning you and making you apologize for buying things in the game).

Man, I wonder why Guild Wars isn't more popular.

On the topic of dupes I bought a Jeweled Onyx Panther for really cheap (I think 35k) and followed up by reporting the seller, as I do with anyone that's selling dupes. A GM replied and thanked me, took away the learned mount, and returned the gold. They suggested I continue reporting but don't buy any I find suspect because they can't always guarantee the gold will be returned.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
On the topic of dupes I bought a Jeweled Onyx Panther for really cheap (I think 35k) and followed up by reporting the seller, as I do with anyone that's selling dupes. A GM replied and thanked me, took away the learned mount, and returned the gold. They suggested I continue reporting but don't buy any I find suspect because they can't always guarantee the gold will be returned.

They can't guarantee, but they also can't prove you're not innocent so they won't punish people who buy the mounts by taking them away. You ruined it for yourself by tattling basically.

They can't guarantee, but they also can't prove you're not innocent so they won't punish people who buy the mounts by taking them away. You ruined it for yourself by tattling basically.

I did it knowing full well that I was likely to lose the mount. I'd rather remove the dupers than get a mount for cheaper than it was meant to be economically within the game.

What is a "dupe" and how are players doing it?

I don't know the process but specific high-cost items are duplicated through some means and are then sold in Trade and the Auction House for much less than they should be. In the Jeweled Onyx Panther's case it was sold to me at around 35k when it requires vendor mats that alone cost around 80k gold. Typically the mount is up in the AH for closer to 100k.

JSoup

Banned
What is a "dupe" and how are players doing it?

For TCG items, faking the codes to get multiple copies of expensive items.
For everything else, I don't know how they are doing it repeatedly, but for my part, I had a few items duped into my bag due to bad timing (or good timing, depending on how you look at it). I basically used an item at the same time I was randomly disconnected. I got the item learned and kept the base item.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gaze of the Black Prince - Increases reputation gained with the Black Prince by 100%. Increases the chances his most hated foes will relinquish their Secrets of the Empire, Sigil of Wisdom, Sigil of Power, or Titan Runestones.

Yeah, add that shit after I get my cloak. Fuck you.

I see new wolf models. Can you please confirm that shamans ghost wolf will use the new wolf model? Please pretty.
#confirmed (holinka)
nice
hmm why not make a tier about summoning elementals for shammies? Every min we can potentially summon 1 if it goes live as is.
Because Shamans aren't a pet class, and we don't want to turn them into one. (Celestalon)

While I get you don't want shamans to be pet classes, you realize fire elemental is huge for Enhance, they basically are pet.
Yes, and we want to tone that down, by moving the damage from that Fire Ele to the Shaman. (Celestalon)
fucking thank you

Fjordson

Any of you guys know if the Pureblood Fire Hawk mount drops from Ragnaros on 10 man normal? I know Alysrazor's mount does, just not sure about Raggy's.

Any of you guys know if the Pureblood Fire Hawk mount drops from Ragnaros on 10 man normal? I know Alysrazor's mount does, just not sure about Raggy's.

From what I read on Wowhead it should still. 1%. Different from the Mimiron's Head/Invincible situation in that it always had a 1% drop chance on normal as well in addition to the 100% heroic chance during its time.

Aiii

So not worth it
You cruel, cruel game!

clipboard01cjyv3.jpg
clipboard02kgl07.jpg

Though I have been getting a lot of lucky drops lately. Onyxia's mount dropped for me two weeks ago after the reset, last week I got Eye of Sulfuras:

So I have not to complain, but still... Darn you!

Well at least I'm increasing my chances of getting Thunderfury by chasing only one half on two characters instead of one I suppose.

Snagged Heroic Terrace of Endless Spring run. Now have "the Fearless" and "the Tranquil Master" titles.

SOOOoo many titles in one day (Salty being the other.)

We'll see if I can get Proven Assailant sometime this week. Stupid thing is still ridiculously hard and keyboard-smash inducing. So easy to get complacent or unlucky with trinket procs and just barely miss a kill on the more difficult rounds.

Also got Shado-Master also queued up, but that'll still take ~20 days or so to do all the dailies with the different companions required.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I'm working on Stormbreaker for my Shaman and possibly Shado-Master for my Monk or Hunter.

Isle of Thunder achievements are a fucking RNG bitch that you only get one shot at a week. Apparently it's one of the rarest titles in the game for that same reason. And it's not like the achievements are going to be easier at 100(except killing the summoned bosses. Of which I can already do at 564)

Milennia

Just a quick update on my situation after returning to the game after quitting for a year after t14 progress ended.

I have now been back about 2 months exactly, am now 2 ilvls off of full bis for fire and 3 for arcane.

I feel that im either going to be a full raider as of tomorrow or they are going to extend my trial another month, im unsure as of now, but believe its either or as i have a meeting with my guilds officers tomorrow.

I have achieved some world ranks and some server rank1s since returning, which is pretty good for being 2 months into content.

I have killed hard mode garry 5 times as of now, got the mount on the second kill as everyone in the guild has had it for a good while (us6th kill) and we didnt have a second buyer for the night.

Overall im happy yet nervous about tomorrow.

Judgment day really.

My character is milenniaa on us-stormrage for the curious.

Quickly became friends with nearly the entire guild, hoping it all works out and i achieve raider rank so i can continue on with them, great group of people as well as some old friends.

PatDH

Just a quick update on my situation after returning to the game after quitting for a year after t14 progress ended.

I have now been back about 2 months exactly, am now 2 ilvls off of full bis for fire and 3 for arcane.

I feel that im either going to be a full raider as of tomorrow or they are going to extend my trial another month, im unsure as of now, but believe its either or as i have a meeting with my guilds officers tomorrow.

I have achieved some world ranks and some server rank1s since returning, which is pretty good for being 2 months into content.

I have killed hard mode garry 5 times as of now, got the mount on the second kill as everyone in the guild has had it for a good while (us6th kill) and we didnt have a second buyer for the night.

Overall im happy yet nervous about tomorrow.

Judgment day really.

My character is milenniaa on us-stormrage for the curious.

Quickly became friends with nearly the entire guild, hoping it all works out and i achieve raider rank so i can continue on with them, great group of people as well as some old friends.

Congrats! Normal mode SoO is for chumps, huh? Haha.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, even if you don't get in, least you got the mount out of it. ;) Sounds like they like you if they're gearing you out that much instead of bringing in alts.

Milennia

Congrats! Normal mode SoO is for chumps, huh? Haha.
Thanks!
I was fortunate enough to have a good few friends in the scene as well as a good raid history and multiple tier 14 (most recent) parses.

I did skip normal soo essentially yeah lol as well as heroic throne.
But i sure paid my dues to the mop gods by progressing on sha of fear, shit, buggy ass fight during progression... OH and lets not forget mr clusterfuck of resets and hell manifest.... Vizier.
Im back for WoD progression really, im very happy with what i see.
But like i said, I'm pretty attached to my guild atm and hope everything works out, tomorrow may very well mark a massive turn of events in my return if i am not accepted.

Im going to stay confident though.
Will update.

Milennia

Well, even if you don't get in, least you got the mount out of it. ;) Sounds like they like you if they're gearing you out that much instead of bringing in alts.

:p dont really like the mount too much :/ i prefer flying mounts from end bosses, but i guess with wod and its no fly zone, it works out lol.

Yeah im relatively confident, but even though my dps is strong, a majority of my time has been spent re-mastering my class over the last few weeks.

I know every fight well enough, but my personal mechanics are lacking.
Some bad blade placement on siegecrafter etc,

Im still learning bit by bit and have maybe a collective 600 pulls less than the rest of my raid on these fights, which they understand, but i really need to step it up now that im comfortable with my dps.

In the end, everyone can do the dps, the mechanics are what makes somebody a good raider during progression, quickly learning.

Dps is second nature, and now that im there, its time for mechanics.

strafer

Anyone interesting in doing ICC 25 Heroic? No achievments or anything, just burn the bosses down, I want the Light of Dawn title. <.<

Robin64

I also haven't seen where they said PvP gear is going to look like PvE gear again, If anything it won't be like BC Arena recolors it'll just be like similar designs.

From an interview on Wowhead:

Art in general will change for PvE and PvP epics--it will be like Burning Crusade, where PvE and PvP gear shared the same artwork but had different colors. LFR and Honor gear will now share one artwork, but different colors. Conquest gear and higher-level raiding gear share a different style of artwork, but different colors. And Mythic and top-level PvP gear will have some additional awesome bonus art.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I wonder if that means like special armor procs like the CM gear has on Mythic gear

Tested soloing the incarnations and ritual summons for the Stormbreaker achievement

Incarnations - easy as hell
Rituals - fuck no. Gonna need at least a healer and another dps

Milennia

so i usually only run with 1 alt... always.

after coming back i decided to bench my boomkin and reroll a shadow priest as my main alt.

ive had like..... 8 priests at levels 60-85... i have always loved them as a dps class, but never actually put in the effort to finish any of the priests because of my druid.

feels weird I'm actually going to have one soon.
recently got her to level 60 in preparation of a boost I'm going to use when i pre order WOD next week.

even got her a heroic boe staff last night =D

went and farmed all that timeless isle stuff that i could before getting bored out of my mind.
im not used to gearing up alts this late in the expac, last expansion my druid was full bis right along with my mage..

trinkets are going to be a pain thats for sure.
i guess i could just run all the lfrs i can/world bosses and get myself into friends flex groups who won't kick me for having a low ilvl or anything like that, essentially get carried a bit lol.
I've carried their alts as well, so i don't see why it would be an issue.
i generally run any flex i can and carry any group just so that i can test out new builds, so i just say yes to everything lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom