• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wonder if Greater Charms will be possible to get in WoD? Justice will be gone, right? You could fill up in the Palace of Lei Shen, but maybe they'll take the keys away in WoD? Seems like you could get a lot of gold real quick in Lei Shen at 100.

Mainly want to know for World Boss mounts.

strafer

VP capped again.

Sigh.

It goes so fast these days.

Wish you would get extra gold from dailies instead of wasting those 5 VP you get.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rad looking
warlords-of-draenor-frostfire0007-full.jpg

StayDead

Killed mr smite, camped him until he spawned again and rather than tagging him I had my bar set to my mount bar so I missed out.

NOOO! X_X

I did get the wolvar brew from my first bottle though.

I've been trying to get these Forager's Gloves off a mob in Kun-Lai for about 2 days now. Must've killed him at least 5-6 times by now. Still no item. Supposedly it's a 10% drop rate but you'd figure I'd have it already.

Ultratech

I've been trying to get these Forager's Gloves off a mob in Kun-Lai for about 2 days now. Must've killed him at least 5-6 times by now. Still no item. Supposedly it's a 10% drop rate but you'd figure I'd have it already.

Eh, you'd prolly be better off killing those Ordon dudes around where Huolon shows up.

They have a small chance to drop from them, but I've gotten at least 2 of them to drop.
Plus, you're getting rep and other stuff done at the same time.

Touchdown

Banned
I've been on a transmog kick lately with my druid main and I had to go through the entire Booty Bay questline for some damn pants lol. But it was the first time I've seen those quests as I've only really lvld my toons through instances. I enjoyed it though! I think I'm going to go back and do more old questlines to quell my boredom till new expansion.

I would do the Timeless Isle method, but they're BoP and I need them on my mining warrior who's pretty poorly geared. Would take too long for him to kill those elites, besides being susceptible to censors.

Rizific

So, where I can level up faster 85 to 90?

I cant find those worms in the intemporal island

heres my crude illustration. the numbers represent the number of groups of worms. so the 3 means there are 3 packs of worms there. they spawn on the ground in the middle of some small trees. the number 1 worms spawn by the corner of the house.

daedalius

So I plan on getting Glenn Rane to sign my Art of Blizzard book tommorrow. I was pretty pumped when I saw he was going to be at Spectrum. Too bad more Blizzard artists aren't there!

I don't think I can carry all of my WoW art books too (not that he'd want to sign all of them either)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Both our resto shamans have taken hiatus at the same time. So now we only have potentially 2 healers.

Might need to seriously consider talking to my friend's 14/14H Aussie guild if this keeps up.

Milennia

Both our resto shamans have taken hiatus at the same time. So now we only have potentially 2 healers.

Might need to seriously consider talking to my friend's 14/14H Aussie guild if this keeps up.

Whats your current progress?

Sometimes jumping ahead too far wont take you where you want it to when it comes to wow.

My advice would be to stick to your current progress whether it be with another guild or not (by the sounds of it, i would suggest the latter) , the general rule of thumb being- never reprogress, meaning look for other guilds with your current progress or slightly above, but never less.

Going from 3/14h for instance, to 8-14h will be quite jarring and the expectations of said guild may be much higher than what you would have originally expected.
Guilds that have cleared content, are currently building their mythic rosters, which is the key thought here, either cutting 5 or recruiting 10.
Meaning expectations are at an all time high, especially with the thought of 7 or so months of current content left before wod.

Just a friendly warning, if you feel your up for a leap like that, and are confident in your abilities, go for it.

Ive seen many success stories, but ive seen many non-successful stories as well, everyone has to start somewhere, and truth is.. If your good at what you do, they want you, regardless of experience.

However a big thing that many people don't actually consider or realize, the skill difference between a normal, average player and a top 20 or so world raider, is actually quite large.

A ton of people say "yeah i can outdps etc. that guy, i should be there", that is by far, not the only factor to take into consideration, there are tons of variables that go into what makes a player solid.
The amount of people I've seen fail trial within 2 weeks time who felt they had what it takes is astonishing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The guild is 10/14H, but I'm 5/14H. I'm not that worried about it, it's just annoying to have them both quit at the same time.

Colossal WoW failure -- There's a lookalike for tier 14 Warlock that I want for my Shadow Priest. But there is no lookalike for the shoulders or gloves. The only lookalikes are in Heroic MSV. Which are the wrong color

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's just this huge gap between the female orc legs that make them look ridiculous in any kind of 'dress' legs. If you preview the new models in Dark Shaman set, it's world of difference. Even though the whole body is mostly covered, just the way she stands has so much better posture.

I think I'm just bringing my Shaman and Hunter to 100. I really don't care about leveling my monk, warrior, or warlock. And with garrisons not being account-bound, I'm not gonna waste all that money. I'm running 3s on my Shaman for hte PVP wolf, but I'm kind of thinking about going with the skeletal warhorse. That thing makes Attunemen look like a gameboy mount or something

strafer

Yeah you've got to win Silvershard Mines and Battle of Kormogu. I luckily did Silvershard in one but my friends stuck on 3 characters trying to win it.

I hate when Blizzard forces you to do PvP.

That's one of the reasons why I won't ever get my Violet Proto Drake from the World Events achievment, School of Hard Knocks. Been stuck on that for the past four years.

I can't PvP. I don't wanna PvP. I hate PvP.

Why Blizzard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PVP with gear and with friends - tons of fun. Even when losing
PVP by yourself with no gear - terrible, soul crushing. Even when winning

I guess I started on Stormbreaker at the worst time for my /bow achievement because Kroshik is STILL sacrificed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you ever want to find out your dps with raid buffs, just do Terrace LFR. I just tunneled Sha of Fear the entire time and came out with 308k.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Whoops double post.

I can already tell what a huge problem in WoD is going to be. Blizzard has done a great job this entire expansion of scaring away melee dos from any serious raiding through poorly thought out bosses that make it very hard for a raid leader to bring anything but a top melee dps who is also incredibly good at their class. But WoD is taking away maneuverability for casters, so melee will likely be very, very good in Blackrock Foundry again.

The problem I already foresee is that so many heroic raiders will have switched from their melee dps role to a ranged during MoP to have a higher chance at finding a guild, and Mythic guilds will have trouble finding the melee raiders they need for when they start that. I'm already seeing several guilds on forums just now realizing 'Oh shit, we need melee' and putting up recruitment for WoD, but I just wonder if Blizzard did any permanent damage to the playstyle.

My current guild did 4 melee dps for the first 5 bosses in heroic the other day, and it went fine. But it was also 4 melee dps, tooting my own horn, with raid awareness. And I just wonder how much of those there will be in the first tier of WoD.

Milennia

Whoops double post.

I can already tell what a huge problem in WoD is going to be. Blizzard has done a great job this entire expansion of scaring away melee dos from any serious raiding through poorly thought out bosses that make it very hard for a raid leader to bring anything but a top melee dps who is also incredibly good at their class. But WoD is taking away maneuverability for casters, so melee will likely be very, very good in Blackrock Foundry again.

The problem I already foresee is that so many heroic raiders will have switched from their melee dps role to a ranged during MoP to have a higher chance at finding a guild, and Mythic guilds will have trouble finding the melee raiders they need for when they start that. I'm already seeing several guilds on forums just now realizing 'Oh shit, we need melee' and putting up recruitment for WoD, but I just wonder if Blizzard did any permanent damage to the playstyle.

My current guild did 4 melee dps for the first 5 bosses in heroic the other day, and it went fine. But it was also 4 melee dps, tooting my own horn, with raid awareness. And I just wonder how much of those there will be in the first tier of WoD.

This isnt an issue for good guilds, the players swap back amd forth between all specs depending on how well a class performs in beta and is projected to perform on after the final notes are out.

For more casual guilds, ranged will still be just fine and even dominant once again just like they have been since cata launch, the only thing i can see happening that would change that, is blizzard implementing ranged-punishing, melee friendly specific mechanics purposely, which they have done maybe a collective.. 3 times in the last 2 entire expansions.

The problem is also just flat out damage is lower, even on encounter were melee just tunnel the boss and ignore all mechanics 85% of the time, such as heroic garrosh.
They would need to buff melee damage raw for them to become over viable.

Arcane mages in cataclysm and beyond.. No movement dps outside of coc and orb, still a dominant spec in the expansion as it was balanced around said lack of movement.
Same deal for ranged in warlords as well.

I even see some ranged becoming much MORE viable due to specific changes in wod, such as shadow priests single target issue (same movement issues they have had forever are staying, yet the spec was still dominant in cataclysm, however suffers due to scaling in mop) and fire mages getting even better movement than before due to scorch giving you a 30% movent speed increase, arcane mages are still turrets, i simply do not see enough change here to actually affect the ranged meta, especially since they are balancing ranged around lack of movement even more so than previously judging from their statements.
Warlocks will be tuned (hopefully hard lol) around KJ cunning etc.

Ele lose lightning bolt, but gain a 30% movement speed increase via UE and still have wolf (still a massive hit, but they will be balanced around it).
Good players adapt, and its simply much easier to adapt as a ranged, there are many stationary specs in the game that get their movement damage out via procs, that wont change, those specs are the same, some are even better.

The biggest ranged difference here being the ele shaman, which was never a dominant spec for any tier in the last 2 expansions in terms of damage, even with lightning bolt on the move.
All of our main raid shaman are enhancement anyway.

Either way, if your worth your salt as a raider, you can play any of your specs without question.
Of course many people need to reread up on a spec they haven't played in quite some time, that is something even top players do.
However going into a new expansion, your gear is worthless outside of leveling, everyone can start fresh as whatever they choose, just play whatever's good in beta and whatever the final notes project.

(Trinkets like dbw would be a nice start :p)
(Or even tiny abom ret paladins from icc, gear has been a decent badaid fix for melee damage in previous cases)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They're making casters, including healers, stand still much more often and hard cast stuff. Instant casts will be few and far between.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how the classes are designed, it's just a boss per boss basis. Wotlk was melee -> ranged -> melee -> ranged every tier.

Milennia

They're making casters, including healers, stand still much more often and hard cast stuff. Instant casts will be few and far between.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how the classes are designed, it's just a boss per boss basis. Wotlk was melee -> ranged -> melee -> ranged every tier.

Obviously encounter design will play a big part, which is why i stated that.

The casters that currently run on instant casts have little to no changes outside of hardcasted FFB and the warlock instant, which was never a big deal to begin with, unless i have missed something? Please list specifics if i have, i would like to know if i missed something, Im speaking in terms of damage specs.

The only change would be proc chance, which we know little to nothing about currently.

Regardless, ranged will be balanced around all of their changes, they have really beat that into everybody's heads at this point.
However my current spec that i play on live has received nothing but a movement buff, that spec being fire.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They are actively going to be taking out maneuverability from casters because that's been a big issue why ranged outperforms melee in every role. They got too out of control with it, and they've been saying pretty much everyone but hunters is going to be more turret-based.

Like Kil'Jaeden's cunning is either going to be completely gone or completely reworked. Like I was saying though, the people I'm talking abuot are lapsed WoW players who could be heroic players but were too freaked out by all the ranged dps requests. Obviously someone who raids regularly on a heroic level can still perform most boss fights, but it does require having a raid leader who is experienced enough in the content to know what they can bring.

Milennia

They are actively going to be taking out maneuverability from casters because that's been a big issue why ranged outperforms melee in every role. They got too out of control with it, and they've been saying pretty much everyone but hunters is going to be more turret-based.

Like Kil'Jaeden's cunning is either going to be completely gone or completely reworked. Like I was saying though, the people I'm talking abuot are lapsed WoW players who could be heroic players but were too freaked out by all the ranged dps requests. Obviously someone who raids regularly on a heroic level can still perform most boss fights, but it does require having a raid leader who is experienced enough in the content to know what they can bring.

As it stands right now until further changes are made over the course of testing, ranged is just as strong currently, however... I would actually compare current warlords ranged specs to cataclysm ranged specs as a whole (pre lightning bolt glyph).
The turret specs in cataclysm were balanced quite nicely imo, and most of the ranged were just that.

In fact... Im quite happy with that comparison.

(Until legendarys come into play, in which case the only specs in the game were boomkins-fire/arcane-rogues-warlocks and spriests)
Quite a large bit of the single target turret balancing was due to the legendary actually, which was bad for casual players as a whole.
Arcane in particular has 2 items it needed to actually be viable over fire at all in t13 in particular due to balancing and scaling, those being wOT and shard of woe.

Also going to give a quick example of how simple encounter design affects the choice of melee-ranged, heroic grand vizier during progress is a huge one.
We brought 0 melee to that encounter, as well as heroic garajal in particular... Not for any FU melee mechanics... But for the simple fact that they weren't a ranged dot class, pretty specific.

(Theres a ton i cant remember since quitting and coming back after progress but yeah, our warriors etc. didn't see the light of day for a while,we preferred rogues as our melee if any, however the brought warriors in for sha of fear and some other as well, few and far between, those banners were actually a big reason, an example of a great melee fight was garalon for the extra damage and the bosses movement pattern, we stacked rogues and warriors basically)
Personally... Im so used to playing movement impaired ranged specs, that not having movement as a ranged means absolutely nothing to me.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
uglycraftvadmf.png

In this edition of Uglycraft, we take a look at the effects of setting the console variable shadowMode to a negative value. It's not as interesting as the various mipmap settings available, but it's progress nonetheless. shadowMode controls dynamic shadows in-game, with the following normal settings:

• 0 | Off. This leaves the 'blob' type shadow only.
  • 1 | Precomputed terrain shadows, dynamic shadows near player.
  • 2 | Static environment shadows, dynamic shadows near player.
  • 3 | Full dynamic shadows.
If you attempt to change the setting to a negative value while in-game, the program will crash and you will be met with an error message prompting you to tell Blizzard what went wrong. If you however set a negative value to shadowMode via config.wtf (like SET shadowMode "-1") before starting up the game, the program won't crash and you will instead see the following:

Shrine of Seven Stars/Vale of Eternal Blossoms

wow_shadowmode_38ed4b.png

wow_shadowmode_1ogfag.png

wow_shadowmode_2oxeim.png

wow_shadowmode_169fdg7.png

wow_shadowmode_17glf22.png

wow_shadowmode_18pbcbk.png

Stormwind/Goldshire

wow_shadowmode_54bfw2.png

wow_shadowmode_6ubdr4.png

wow_shadowmode_7bnekq.png

wow_shadowmode_84rcpl.png

wow_shadowmode_90sf4z.png

Dalaran

wow_shadowmode_1104elp.png

wow_shadowmode_4zlfys.png

wow_shadowmode_10s6dps.png

Icecrown Citadel (at the entrance)

wow_shadowmode_12fgiqz.png

wow_shadowmode_13peda9.png

Sholazar Basin

wow_shadowmode_144efuf.png

wow_shadowmode_15ivfh1.png

This "effect" changes depending on the camera angle. In certain angles, everything is fine. In other angles, certain textures are either completely black or look as if in 256 color mode. Or the changes are quite small with surfaces becoming either brighter or darker. It appears to only work outdoors for whatever reason.

I've only tested this with a negative value of 1. Going lower might provide other results. Performance did not improve with this enabled, in fact it seemed to decrease very slightly (frame rate dropped 1-2).

That's what I have for this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom