• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Now I can finally play WoW on my N-gage. Yay.

Seriously, it looks like runescape. When is the WoW android/iOS client coming?

I decided to try this again(only briefly tried ages ago) after starting to realize how shallow ff14 really is. It's a lot more interesting now that I'm understanding how MMOs work. I'm playing a sneaky rogue. I have no idea if they suck or not, but I'm having fun =P

JSoup

Banned
Having just finished War Crimes, my first thought is as follows:

Christie Golden has taken a strong liking to the word "impotent".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One last birthday present. The TBD Shaman Draenor Perk... Now "Unleash Elements also increases movement speed by 30% for 4sec." (Celestalon)

Been hoping they would do this and make it permanent. Looks like they are

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah i mentioned that in one of my responses in the last page.

You were just referencing ele's g ain of it though. Didn't know it was for enhancement. Honestly, unless things drastically changed, Elemental should never be using UE. And I doubt Lava Burst or LB will be changing, so it seems pretty useless for Elemental outside of PVP. Where as it's perfect for Enhancement because it makes UE a better closer since Enh doesn't have any closers.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Having just finished War Crimes, my first thought is as follows:

Christie Golden has taken a strong liking to the word "impotent".

It was good, but hardly the best Christie Golden novel so far.

It was an impressive amount of wowitsfuckingnothing.gif going on until the very last two chapters.

It's the first time I've actually read a "clip show".

JSoup

Banned
It was good, but hardly the best Christie Golden novel so far.

It was an impressive amount of wowitsfuckingnothing.gif going on until the very last two chapters.

It's the first time I've actually read a "clip show".

It bugged me right from the get go that about 30%+ of the book is either rehashing old material or directly lifting whole pages from past material. I also feel like it didn't really help to set anything up. Prelude to Cataclysm acted as a forward to coming events. Tides of War helped preface motivations going into Pandaria. This....pretty much did nothing. Some people are now more understanding, the pissed off people are now more pissed off, the obvious jerk-asses are, surprise!, still jerk-asses.....and now Garrosh is in a past Draenor and, oh yeah, all that crap I just said will be forgotten within 10 minutes of the expansion starting because "war lol".

Milennia

You were just referencing ele's g ain of it though. Didn't know it was for enhancement. Honestly, unless things drastically changed, Elemental should never be using UE. And I doubt Lava Burst or LB will be changing, so it seems pretty useless for Elemental outside of PVP. Where as it's perfect for Enhancement because it makes UE a better closer since Enh doesn't have any closers.

uF is the best overall talent for elemental shamans as of this tier.
They use UE on cd currently, and even if it wasnt part of their overall priority, if it has a movement speed increase attatched to it, they will be pressing it each time they move regardless, the damage bonus would just be icing.

Since they are removing LBs ability to be cast whilst moving, this is one of their ways of balancing that, meaning it will be buffed to accommodate the change on its own, even without UF being the best talent.

Im sure more will be done to ele to help make up for the change, but this is first thing announced so far.
Personally, i consider it button bloat unless its actually buffed fairly well on its own, ghost wolf exists, as well as SG, even though UE movement would be used a good bit more in an encounter for stutter stepping and its lower CD, whereas SG is often used for a guaranteed-uninterrupted ascendance.

Additive movement speed increases should also help, stacking with ghost wolf.
So it would be UE into wolf and a LB when you get to where your going.

Velcro Fly

Got my 100k HKs achievement/title tonight while playing WSG on my free account. Not sure I'll ever seriously play again. It was probably the last thing I ever wanted to do in game and now I've done it.

CassSept

Darn it Rosti. I was already amazed when I first saw your work, back during Christmas event, but you somehow keep upping the ante. Keep doing the good work man.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
uF is the best overall talent for elemental shamans as of this tier.
They use UE on cd currently, and even if it wasnt part of their overall priority, if it has a movement speed increase attatched to it, they will be pressing it each time they move regardless, the damage bonus would just be icing.

Since they are removing LBs ability to be cast whilst moving, this is one of their ways of balancing that, meaning it will be buffed to accommodate the change on its own, even without UF being the best talent.

Im sure more will be done to ele to help make up for the change, but this is first thing announced so far.
Personally, i consider it button bloat unless its actually buffed fairly well on its own, ghost wolf exists, as well as SG, even though UE movement would be used a good bit more in an encounter for stutter stepping and its lower CD, whereas SG is often used for a guaranteed-uninterrupted ascendance.

That's what I'm saying is that it's an extra button that really doesn't need to be there. At least with ENhancement you can spirit walk+ghost wolf when you need to close the distance on a mob. You rarely need to close the distance as Elemental. Especially with them increasing the range of almost every Elemental spell sometime after WOTLK.

Milennia

That's what I'm saying is that it's an extra button that really doesn't need to be there. At least with ENhancement you can spirit walk+ghost wolf when you need to close the distance on a mob. You rarely need to close the distance as Elemental. Especially with them increasing the range of almost every Elemental spell sometime after WOTLK.

Oh yeah, in terms of actual benefit, its a good buff to enhancement.
Its just a QoL for ele and one of the small things they will do to compensate for their loss of LB on the move.

Like blazing speed basically, but better now that we have additive bonuses.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Female Orc stance in dresses is so bad right now that I have to do this to avoid bow leg
yWsC2DF.jpg

Implement the new Orc models already, Blizz. Ignore people having to keep their ugly old model, they should know by now that it's Orccraft.

Ark

I haven't played WoW since I quit when Cata came out and unfortunately WoD has my curiosity. I only have a couple of questions, how vastly different is the game now from WoTLK? Obviously talents are different and the stats are all ridiculously inflated, but I don't want to spend forever re-learning the game.

Secondly, do I need an active subscription/game time to use the MoP 10-day trial thing?

CassSept

Depends on the class, Rogues are roughly the same but some classes like warlocks or hunters underwent drastic design changes since then so I guess they can be quite different from the way they played in WotLK

Milennia

^ that

However, when i pick up a class i have never played before, i can still learn it in about a weeks time.
Nothing is super complicated really, sure the classes are different, but that doesn't mean they are difficult to pick up or anything, (assuming non demo lock and DOC feral).

Cant really respond to that mop question.

Lockouts are the same outside of flex, which is a pre made tier in between normal and lfr.

Lfr was introduced at the end of cata and is basically LFD but for raids, the bosses provide personal loot, so there isn't any rolling or needing etc (thank fuck they dropped that).

Theres a good bit, but nothing drastic, I'm sure any specific questions you may have can be answered here.
You've pretty much skipped the daily requirement era, so things should be relatively simple and easy for you to ease back in.

However WoD isn't for a good 5-? Months, so take your time.

One more thing, you can now boost any character to level 90 for 60$ and you get 1 free boost when you pre order WoD.
If you boost a character thats level 60 and up, you get 2 maxed out professions and all flying licenses, as well as a full set of 486 gear? Around that ilvl i cant remember.

Ark

One more thing, you can now boost any character to level 90 for 60$ and you get 1 free boost when you pre order WoD.
If you boost a character thats level 60 and up, you get 2 maxed out professions and all flying licenses, as well as a full set of 486 gear? Around that ilvl i cant remember.

Oh wow that's insanely pricey, and very tempting. Is 486 gear decent enough to jump into dungeons and not be a burden?

Did they ever make the dungeons more difficult? In TBC you used to need to think in each instance but in Wrath, even on heroic, it was just pull & spam. LFR sounds pretty cool, not sure I have the time to dedicate myself to a raiding schedule anymore.

How different are Warlocks? I mained a holy pally for 3 years and if I go back I'm thinking of either jumping on my resto shaman or warlock. I probably won't resub for a month or two yet, need to work through my backlog first.

Milennia

Oh wow that's insanely pricey, and very tempting. Is 486 gear decent enough to jump into dungeons and not be a burden?

Did they ever make the dungeons more difficult? In TBC you used to need to think in each instance but in Wrath, even on heroic, it was just pull & spam. LFR sounds pretty cool, not sure I have the time to dedicate myself to a raiding schedule anymore.

How different are Warlocks? I mained a holy pally for 3 years and if I go back I'm thinking of either jumping on my resto shaman or warlock. I probably won't resub for a month or two yet, need to work through my backlog first.

In terms of damage... Warlocks are untouchable and overpowered at the same time.
Gods right now, and have been for some time.
Obviously WoD tuning will deal with it (or not lol).

In terms of relearning a warlock, you shouldn't have too much of a hard time with destro and affliction (especially destro), all of the specs are viable however, so choose whichever you'd like, generally destro is preferred however affliction is great on some fights.

Some of our locks just run affliction the entire time, because it really doesn't matter at this point.

The class is more difficult to master than others, but if you put in the time, you should be fine.
The big thing now is a passive they have called pandemic.
Pandemic allows you to clip dots and add that remaining amount of time onto the refreshed dot (something every class will be getting in WoD). (I explained this awfully, so any guide you read should fill in the blanks)

And snapshotting, the big deal here... Snapshotting basically means refreshing dots so that they will essentially snapshot your current buffs so that your buffs benefit from them.. In layman's terms at least.

This whole snapshotting deal is going away with WoD, so you wont have to worry about it for too much longer, as well as a good amount of other things... WoD is simplifying A TON of personal class mechanics and game mechanics, simplified rotations/priorities.. Everything.

Mmo champion has solid class and spec guides on their forums, check those out and then once you get a grasp on how they play, read into the WoD changes to see how they WILL play or at least what blizzard is currently going for in the current stage of the closed testing for the new expansion.

Oh, resto shaman are ok, they are always pretty good in the final tier of an expansion... Almost a tradition lol, they aren't disc priests in terms of numbers, but they fill their niche.

I would read up on which of the 2 classes interests you more currently and then read up on their upcoming changes afterwards.
Healing in particular is getting a massive overhaul come WoD.

In terms of damage... Warlocks are untouchable and overpowered at the same time.

Oh, resto shaman are ok, they are always pretty good in the final tier of an expansion... Almost a tradition lol, they aren't disc priests in terms of numbers, but they fill their niche

I wouldn't say untouchable, In aoe maybe, but you and elemental shamans come pretty close. In single target I consistently out Dps warlocks on my enhancement shaman, and do pretty well on aoe. As for healing resto shaman is arguably the best healing class in in game for normal and heroic content. Druid lagging just behind.

Milennia

I wouldn't say untouchable, In aoe maybe, but you and elemental shamans come pretty close. In single target I consistently out Dps warlocks on my enhancement shaman, and do pretty well on aoe. As for healing resto shaman is arguably the best healing class in in game for normal and heroic content. Druid lagging just behind.

In terms of mumbers, disc priests are uneblievable, unless your speaking of just pure, cut and dry healing, in which case, yeah they are what they are.

With most of the encounters in the instance being cleave fests, warlocks shine on every fight in my raid.
That doesnt mean they are ontop for each encounter, our enhancement shaman holds most fights quite highly above his head, but they are extremely consistent, much more so than any other class in the game, as well as have a strong showing on every encounter in the 14 boss instance.

My main class (mage) shines on some encounters as well, but no matter what i put out or what type of rng i have, our 3 warlocks are always sitting quite pretty up there.
Now i do raid in a top 5 us enviornment, so these are very good warlocks, as well as every other player in our raid (im just coming back from a years hiatus as of 2 months ago).

I can win out on some fights if i really get a streak going, such as malkorok-spoils-protectors- came close on garry once... Some others i think i can possibly do..
Oh i was top damage on siegecrafter as well in the last week with 465k due to a 105k combustion spread to a bunch of mines.

Came pretty close on dark shamans last week, but i would never compare the damage of a fire mage to a warlock.
Consistency rules and when a class can do that every single week without fail, damn.

Our enhancement shaman kills it though, they are strong thats for sure.

Milennia

Double post

I am currently watching someone progress on heroic garrosh whilst clicking every ability.

Even clicks ghost wolf.

Oh shit, he only has one hand... This is totally interesting then, he turns the camera whilst clicking etc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Double post

I am currently watching someone progress on heroic garrosh whilst clicking every ability.

Even clicks ghost wolf.

Oh shit, he only has one hand... This is totally interesting then, he turns the camera whilst clicking etc.

At first I was like "Wow, how does he even get to H Garrosh"
But that's cool! I remember some guy that posted on IGN years ago who played with one arm and he was pretty good.

StMeph

Is 486 gear decent enough to jump into dungeons and not be a burden?

No. But everyone is so overgeared that no one will really care, and you can be carried without much fuss.

You'll want to go to Timeless Isle and get a set of 496 gear by looting chests first

Timeless Isle is kind of random, and only 496. I'm not a huge fan of it, but a lot of the stuff from the island is quite nice, and it's a good way to grind up some lesser charms, which I've found I don't have enough of on alts, and way too many on my main, as an aside.

Do the Celestials, a world boss on Timeless Isle, which drops Normal-quality tier gear (553), as well as several pieces of current PvP gear (550). PvPing will also net much better gear than Timeless stuff. Honor has no cap, and earns 522 gear, and Conquest will get you 550.

It doesn't matter how difficult they are, or aren't. It's the tail end of an expansion. Everyone is way overgeared for dungeons. And LFRs. And everything.

LFR doesn't require a raiding schedule, that's the point of LFR. You just queue up. Flex is the next step up, and that also doesn't require a schedule either, so long as you use OpenRaid or oQueue to find PUGs.

Green fire. Just do it for that. And do it with as few gear upgrades as possible.

Even clicks ghost wolf.

Pro stuff. Too bad it gives clickers elsewhere hope.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Pet Battles are actually kinda fun.

I don't mind them. Though over the past few months I've been casually trying to capture most of the pets ... it really sucks when you get like 5 misses in a row despite the fact that your chance to capture goes up by 25% every miss.

Touch

been playing a lot of demonology warlock lately. its really a fun challenging spec. im getting more consistent with my dmg which is nice. still need to work on the basic fundamentals of pet classes (im terrible at controlling pets) and remembering to snapshot dots with out of brain melting and totally messing up my rotation.

any demo players know if the minor glyph of shadow bolt is still a thing?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Will the 470 pvp gear ever be added into MoP? The fist weapon matches the dark shaman transmog perfectly. I don't recall them taking out season weapons before.

Bizazedo

Pro stuff. Too bad it gives clickers elsewhere hope.

Clicking is totally feasible in PvE (possibly dependant on class, though). Almost everything is predictable for the most part so you can anticipate what comes next and get used to when your buttons are ready.

Additionally, Blizzard has it where if you click a button prior to it being ready, it can still queue it and go off when it is ready. Has to be almost ready, though, can't be like on 1 minute left.

It's not like it's something hard like PvP :).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Clicking is totally feasible in PvE (possibly dependant on class, though). Almost everything is predictable for the most part so you can anticipate what comes next and get used to when your buttons are ready.

Additionally, Blizzard has it where if you click a button prior to it being ready, it can still queue it and go off when it is ready. Has to be almost ready, though, can't be like on 1 minute left.

It's not like it's something hard like PvP :).

You can't click your way through CMs or heroic raids. There's too many times you have to run while dpsing and switch to utility

strafer

Holy shit, I'm so sick of hearing about no flying in WoD. Shit.

MMOC is full of whiny little...

It's like they never played vanilla.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People give CM Shaman set too much criticism. It's a little weird, but that's why I like it. It's flashy as fuck, and you notice new details all the time. Like I just discovered the teeth chatter on the shoulders whenever you cast.

Dark Shaman set is awesome, but it has zero flash. For a reason, I assume. Dark Shaman's problem is there are NO fist weapons that match it.

StayDead

Finally after about 2 months and farming before that I managed to get the orb of sindorei on my main. Got it on my mage when she was my main but that was in TBC. Been try ing to get it ever since I switched to my druid X_X

Ark

I would read up on which of the 2 classes interests you more currently and then read up on their upcoming changes afterwards.
Healing in particular is getting a massive overhaul come WoD.

I certainly will, thanks for your help, and to the other's that replied too.

Holy shit, I'm so sick of hearing about no flying in WoD. Shit.

MMOC is full of whiny little...

It's like they never played vanilla.

Is there no flying at all? Not even after hitting level 100 and buying an overpriced flying license?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there no flying at all? Not even after hitting level 100 and buying an overpriced flying license?

The most likely theory is that they straight up didn't even model Draenor for flying like how vanilla used to be. They don't want it in there at all.

Berordn

At the moment no, and the plan is that they won't introduce said license until 6.1 at the earliest.

That could all change, but that's the story that they're publicly sticking to for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom