• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Well I'm back playing WoW again. Got my 10 free days and decided its time to finally buy Pandaria and get my DK or Pally from 85-90. I will resub once the free time is up for at least a month or two and I'm highly considering preordering the new expansion to get a free level 90. Leaning towards boosting my Monk to 90, I just love the new Pandarian animations.

Anyway, the good feels are back. I forgot how much I adore this game. It's just insane for me to think about how much this game has changed since I first played it in 2007.

Ark

The most likely theory is that they straight up didn't even model Draenor for flying like how vanilla used to be. They don't want it in there at all.

Have they stated a reason for this? Other than the "we don't want people flying over our content" line they were using way back during Wrath release.

At the moment no, and the plan is that they won't introduce said license until 6.1 at the earliest.

That could all change, but that's the story that they're publicly sticking to for now.

That sounds like a solid strategy to me. Gives the player base long enough to 'appreciate' the work Blizzard has put into the new areas before letting them stare at tree tops forever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have they stated a reason for this? Other than the "we don't want people flying over our content" line they were using way back during Wrath release.

Why would they use a reason other than the one that it is? Wouldn't you hate to work all day on a world just for everyone to fly over? Not to mention how much flying makes the zones look less populated than they actually are. Compare Timeless Isle with 100 people to Kun-Lai with 100 people.

Milennia

no flying really doesn't bother me either way.

some of my favorite mounts are flying, but honestly, i don't even consider it remotely a big deal.
my ground mounts could use a workout, guess thats why garry drops the juggernaut and not a flying juggernaut instead =p

Neverfade

Are there additional ways to get more Domination Offensive rep other than the daily 5?

Also, FUCK Culling of Stratholm. I've been running that thing for almost three weeks to get the Crest of Lordaeron for transmog and haven't seen shit.

Tamanon

Banned
Are there additional ways to get more Domination Offensive rep other than the daily 5?

Also, FUCK Culling of Stratholm. I've been running that thing for almost three weeks to get the Crest of Lordaeron for transmog and haven't seen shit.

Should be a Work Order for your farm if you've maxed Tillers. And you can champion the rep for Heroics/Scenarios. Also at certain points in the rep you get extra quests that advance the story and give some good rep.

Ark

Why would they use a reason other than the one that it is? Wouldn't you hate to work all day on a world just for everyone to fly over? Not to mention how much flying makes the zones look less populated than they actually are. Compare Timeless Isle with 100 people to Kun-Lai with 100 people.

I've never had a problem with no flying, I was kinda sad they let you fly around Azeroth in Cata.

Just started playing again after awhile. I never even touched Mists.

Me and my brother did the recruit a friend thing and lvld to 60 in like 2 days and then bought Warlords.

I am now overwhelmed at the amount of spells Druids have. Never really played a druid before until now.

I feel like I need to have every damn spell on my action bar.

Resto.

ampere

Do tank warriors go hard on their expertise? Go over %7.5?

I'd recommend you do the hardcap. 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. Gives a ton more damage and makes sure you don't have misses.

The most likely theory is that they straight up didn't even model Draenor for flying like how vanilla used to be. They don't want it in there at all.

lol @ that "theory". Watch the Spires of Arak development video, the way they develop zones is different from vanilla.

It's a gameplay decision. Obviously a controversial one... we'll see how it works out, but I'm optimistic.

Ultratech

At the moment no, and the plan is that they won't introduce said license until 6.1 at the earliest.

That could all change, but that's the story that they're publicly sticking to for now.

Judging from what they've said about it so far, I really wouldn't be surprised if they just don't add it at all for Draenor.

Granted, I don't really care so long as I can scoot around easily or whatever.

Based on the design of Mists flightpaths I'm not optimistic at all.

Yeah, some of those Pandaria FPs were just damn stupid.

"How about instead of a straight line, we'll do a circle around this zone and scoot off the beaten path a bit?"
"No."

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Leveling up to max can be done much quicker now than any other expac, so instead of limiting by that, they're going to give you a little time to explore the world and level up without a bunch of people flying around you.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol @ that "theory". Watch the Spires of Arak development video, the way they develop zones is different from vanilla.

It's a gameplay decision. Obviously a controversial one... we'll see how it works out, but I'm optimistic.

Of course it's different. But that still doesn't mean that flying would even be possible in its current state. Not like they just have a flying=0 code put in the game. Straight up, it's not in there. The sky isn't modeled for it. Otherwise they wouldn't be so cagey about their answer to flight requests. It's not in there. And it won't be possible at launch even on private servers

TheYanger

Yeah no, they're nto designing zones that can never be flied in again. There's nothing to do with 'the sky' or anything. It's actually to do with the ground. When it comes to a single disconnected continent like Draenor? They just put fatigue water around it and it's done as long as there are no holes between the zones or anything. Which there won't be.

Their reasoning has been stated a thousand times, and some people (like ghostcrawler) didn't want you to be able to fly in any number of previous xpacs, their reasoning is right too. It just encourages you to fly over everything and makes 90% of the content creation process meaningless. They have to put quest mobs at the back end of caves and shit if they want you to fight anything if they allow flying.

It saves them like 0 time in creating new zones for them to be flyable, it literally *IS* 'allowflying=1' to enable it, anywhere in the game even now. They could let you fly in silvermoon city, you'd just see all sorts of fucked up geometry from above, so they don't.

Peachpies

what, you can look at the maps or the pictures/video from the WoD sandbox there is nothing about it preventing flying , they are being cagey because its still possible flying wont be allowed until much later then people originally though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I just want them to have as much reason as possible to never have flying on Draenor. Hate what ti's done to the game.

Fjordson

I kinda like the idea of no flying to be honest. There's something neat about having to travel on the ground everywhere and not being able to just zip up out of a location. And it'll naturally make for more appreciation of the new zones. At least for me personally.

Salamando

I'll just enjoy that people will have to work harder to gank me. No more groups of horde descending from the sky, landing on a doodad out of range and blowing my crap up.

Though I'd be pretty miffed if I bought a mount and can only use its walking animation now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They are considering never allowing it, which I'd be fine with. Game is balanced with or without it so who cares.

The problem is they never dove in and fully committed to it, instead they neuter it because not many people have flying.

For the longest time Epic Flying cost so much, even up into WotLK it wasn't the majority of players having it.

You can't design a zone that requires a flying mount and then charge so much gold for flying. You can't design one that requires flying and then expect people to quest in it at max level when you can fly.

Zones that are huge, that are vertical, that aren't fun to walk around in but are fun to fly around in, Icecrown, Storm Peaks, to a lesser extent Area 52. Those zones work with flying, you can't really see the whole thing without it.

The problem is getting that sweet spot between a fun zone to level in on the ground and then a reason to go back and fly around in it.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I just want them to have as much reason as possible to never have flying on Draenor. Hate what ti's done to the game.

You are wrong, the Z axis is everywhere in the game and technically flying has been in the game since Vanilla. Flying, mechanically speaking, is just swimming super fast. You think that's air you're breathing?

TheYanger

What? They've NEVER neutered flying thinking people didn't have it. In storm peaks and icecrown they give you pity mounts if somehow you couldn't afford it, you're right you cAN"T navigate storm peaks without it - that's why they give one to you. It's just slow.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What? They've NEVER neutered flying thinking people didn't have it. In storm peaks and icecrown they give you pity mounts if somehow you couldn't afford it, you're right you cAN"T navigate storm peaks without it - that's why they give one to you. It's just slow.

I've actually never been there without one, unless you're talking about the mount you get when you're dead?

They have places that are for flying only, but it's all max level. Besides Cata, they never let us level up while flying. And even the Cata zones you can complete them without a flying mount.

I'm talking the 95% of the game they design and make that make it accessible for ground mounts has smothered any chance for the ability to fly to truly shine while leveling.

TheYanger

I've actually never been there without one, unless you're talking about the mount you get when you're dead?

They have places that are for flying only, but it's all max level. Besides Cata, they never let us level up while flying. And even the Cata zones you can complete them without a flying mount.

I'm talking the 95% of the game they design and make that make it accessible for ground mounts has smothered any chance for the ability to fly to truly shine while leveling.

Yes, you get a pity flying mount in either of those zones because they're impossible not to fly in. Not the ghost ones.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can WoW add gold automatically looting as soon as things die and a filter to only show corpses lootable if it has a quest item on it? Sure would make dungeons a lot quicker, especially for tanks who are bouncing from one pack to another.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can WoW add gold automatically looting as soon as things die and a filter to only show corpses lootable if it has a quest item on it? Sure would make dungeons a lot quicker, especially for tanks who are bouncing from one pack to another.

They could, at least if Timeless Isle is anything to go by. It just goes "You've been rewarded [Blabla]" after you die and there you go.

mclem

Well, you might regard it an offshoot of "we don't want people flying over our content", but they've stated that flying trivialises open-world questing; far too easy to pull off a surgical strike on key enemies.

Well, you might regard it an offshoot of "we don't want people flying over our content", but they've stated that flying trivialises open-world questing; far too easy to pull off a surgical strike on key enemies.

Rather than working your way through an area you just scout it from above and drop to a ledge behind the target mob and pull him away from everything. What would have been a 10 minue quest is now 90 seconds.

StayDead

I like flying too much to want to see it gone.

I'm happy with some areas = no flying, but when you're max level and you just want to move around after you've seen everything no flying can be incredibly annoying.

The "flying over content" thing is such a cop out as well, since my best screenshots have been taken while flying around enjoying the sites.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I should get back to trying to solo Ulduar since I figured out the Thorim trick for Enhancement. Might wait until I'm 570+ though just for how rough Yogg can be

Jag

I don't mind not flying my first time through, but once I hit max, I'd like to fly on that character. I typically max out a full stable of alts. I don't mind leveling them on the ground, but I want to fly once they are done.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Evil idea, Blizzard should do a 50% race change sale again right before the new models come out. So everyone does it then the new models come out, and they decide that their person looks better as a different race with the newer model.

StMeph

I hate the idea of no flying on paper, just because it's what we've had since TBC and are used to, but I also honestly never felt like I needed or missed flying in MoP's added no-fly zones like Timeless Isle, Isle of Thunder, or Isle of Giants.

I do think that flying should eventually be put in, but maybe toward the middle/end of an expansion, mostly for convenience, and mostly FOR content sniping, because we'll have done it hundreds of times by then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lore-wise requests that won't get met in WoD. I would like to see....

Lots of Ogre lore(we will likely get this), specifically stuff with Gruul.

A female troll leader. Female Trolls have no presence in WoW. They ought to fix this. Vanira would be a good candidate that would give a Shaman representative in the game that's not Orc Jesus.

A male undead lore character. Who was the last one, Putress? Sick of Sylvanas, and that one female Undead 'hero' just seemed like an unlikeable flop. Would be nice to see Blightcaller playing a major role. Maybe make him a more honorable Forsaken leader.

Aethas. I think he's one of the few Blood Elves who's got a unique viewpoint on the world. And he needs to go kill Jaina or something.

A new Orc faction leader. I'm really disappointed in Nazgrim being killed off as he would be perfect for this.

A new Tauren hero. Dezco didn't do enough ,and I doubt we'll even see him in WoD. Baine is too passive. I wouldn't mind seeing a more aggressive Tauren warrior(but not comically aggressive) to be the new Horde-side warrior representative to replace Garrosh.

A cool Pandaren hero for each side would be nice. Not Ji or whoever the Alliance version is. Taran won't leave Pandaria, and Chen's neutral, so they'd have to come up with something new. Mainly I just don't want the Worgen thing of them being completely forgotten about

I don't really care about the Alliance, and I feel like everyone else got decent representation on the Horde.

frequency

I like no flying just because of how flying changes the world design.

I'm mostly thinking about places like Nagrand (stupid big cliffs in the middle of the map making ground navigation really annoying) and some of Northrend and Cataclysm areas.

I'm hoping that without flying the areas would be designed to be relatively flatter and less annoying to navigate normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom