• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Ya, Pandarian are fucking crazy, their animations are way better then everyone else..

I hope the new models are of similar quality, it would go a long way for the game.

Also, just started actually bothering to do MOP quests, is the farm thing worth the effort?

Demy

Few days late on this but wanna give a big shout out to Orochinagis for sending me a Scroll and re-enabling my addiction.

[/B]
You don't care about battlegrounds and want to play something else than a Horde race or see the exclusive Alliance quests? Is that good enough reasons for you?

Exclusive alliance quests are mostly bad. Worgen and Draenei were non existant in their expansion compared to blood elf and goblin presence. The only feather in our cap was raiding undercity but they took out that quest for whatever reason.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As a Horde player, and even an Orc player of about 5 years... I'm sick of the Orc focus. Garrosh makes me actively despise my race, and I'm worried about how they'll portray two of my favorite lore characters of all time in WoD(Grom and Gul'Dan)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Exclusive alliance quests are mostly bad. Worgen and Draenei were non existant in their expansion compared to blood elf and goblin presence. The only feather in our cap was raiding undercity but they took out that quest for whatever reason.

How exactly are Alliance quests any worse than Horde quests?

How exactly are Alliance quests any worse than Horde quests?

Their story has very little relevance. or a very loosely associated with the main story.

Cataclysm was Thrall's story, and TBC was mostly about discovering about the orc's origin (and thrall, surprise.). Lich King is focused on Tirion but he's never presented as a champion of the alliance, and Garrosh still has some spotlight.

Almost all alliance quests are just random garbage that rarely follows through. Thassarian is the only character I can think of that has shown up in more than two questlines for alliance.

Just look at khadgar, that about sums up Alliance storyline. Also we're returning to draenor and we still don't know what happened to Turyalon or Alleria. Really?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TBC was just as much about the Draenei's origin as it was the Orc's what with the broken and the anchorites and all that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TBC is full of Draenei lore. Shattrath is a Draenei capital city, the Exodar was originally part of Tempest Keep, there are Draenei cities all over Outland, about half of the Alliance towns are Draenei-oriented, and a good portion of Outland lore is dedicated to the Draenei's presence there, even if it is due to the infamous Blizzard retconning technique.

Worgen, though, vanished after their starting zone, aside from a few NPCs here and there and some questlines that mention or briefly involve them. That quest in The Blasted Lands where you put the spirits of the Gilnean shipwreck to rest comes to mind. I feel like Gilneas became more important to the Horde than it did to the Alliance. Its second half is done on the Horde side, in the Undead zone! It makes sense, lore wise, but they really couldn't make it an Alliance quest hub, too? The Goblins got Azshara, and the Worgen got dumped off in Darkshore. Come on.

Ultratech

I grinded this a year ago. I was on a very populated server and I still had trouble getting the materials. I had to find a skinner and hire him to get what I needed. It was very expensive.

Yeah, unless you're a Skinner, I would imagine leveling LW would be very, very painful.
(I was a Skinner when I did it, and it was a major pain in the ass at points.)

Probably the most painful is that LONG stretch to 300 where you need tons of leather from all over the place.

Magnus

I totally just upgraded an old frozen account from years ago (which I created to do 3-boxing RAF back in the day), and it insta-up'd it to Cataclysm. Added MoP for $10, boom.

Now I can toss $40 + a transfer fee at the thing later for a free 90 on my main account. I dig it.

I'm part of the problem.

Fjordson

Yeah, unless you're a Skinner, I would imagine leveling LW would be very, very painful.
(I was a Skinner when I did it, and it was a major pain in the ass at points.)

Probably the most painful is that LONG stretch to 300 where you need tons of leather from all over the place.
I didn't think it was too bad with max skinning. There are some good guides out there that make the farming of leathers manageable. But without skinning? Yeah, probably not worth it. Would cost a fortune on my server.

Rflagg

They'll show on your minimap for mining/herbalism but you'll need an addon to 'remember' nodes you've harvested. Gatherer will also remember nodes your guildies/party members harvest to build out a map of materials.

Thanks that is what I thought, but I wasn't 100%.

Demy

Back to WoW this weekend
and loving it
after about 4 years hiatus, but had a problem with my 70 spriest. Where the blue fuck do I learn vampiric embrace or why can't I find it anywhere in my spells tab?

Most other things I'm getting from blogs or in-game chats. Thanks in advance.

Khezu

Back to WoW this weekend
and loving it
after about 4 years hiatus, but had a problem with my 70 spriest. Where the blue fuck do I learn vampiric embrace or why can't I find it anywhere in my spells tab?

Most other things I'm getting from blogs or in-game chats. Thanks in advance.

Wowhead says you don't get it until 78 now.

It's also different now, its a 3 minute CD and lasts for 15 seconds.

TheYanger

Yeah VE is actually a strong healing CD for a non-healing class. Check out your 'shadow' tab and it'll show you everything you have or will get for being shadow, period. Alphabetical active abilities, alphabetical passive abilities, then unearned abilities by level you'll earn them. It's well sorted.

Salamando

Yeah VE is actually a strong healing CD for a non-healing class. Check out your 'shadow' tab and it'll show you everything you have or will get for being shadow, period. Alphabetical active abilities, alphabetical passive abilities, then unearned abilities by level you'll earn them. It's well sorted.

VE's not bad if your group is small or you're by yourself...Glyph it up, front load it with a Devouring Plague and some Mind Flay Insanity, you can heal yourself up pretty quick. In raid though, the healing is split in so many ways it's definitely more of a "every little bit helps" kind of thing than something that'll save the raid.

Demy

Wowhead says you don't get it until 78 now.

It's also different now, its a 3 minute CD and lasts for 15 seconds.

O ok. Just dinged 74 so no problem.

VE's not bad if your group is small or you're by yourself...Glyph it up, front load it with a Devouring Plague and some Mind Flay Insanity, you can heal yourself up pretty quick. In raid though, the healing is split in so many ways it's definitely more of a "every little bit helps" kind of thing than something that'll save the raid.

That's pretty much the consensus on the WoW forums. I just find it very strange for blizz to make you wait until 78 to use it. I always saw it as the definitive spriest spell.
Almost forgot, thx for the help
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

TheYanger

O ok. Just dinged 74 so no problem.

That's pretty much the consensus on the WoW forums. I just find it very strange for blizz to make you wait until 78 to use it. I always saw it as the definitive spriest spell.
Almost forgot, thx for the help
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Eh, I mean it functions vastly differently than it did in the BC era, it's much more niche and not really 'important' the way it used to be.

Khezu

I was randomly thinking about what Death Knights were like at the launch of WoTLK, where all 3 specs could (sorta) both tank and DPS, and how strict the rotations were.

Part of me misses it, especially Blood DPS.

I haven't gotten around to touching my DK in MoP yet, but I can't imagine they are that different from Cata.

mclem

Time for our third night on Garrosh normal. Any tips? Our biggest problem currently is after the second 'vision' phase, dealing with the empowered whirlwind ability; a combination of the adds going straight for me (as a tank) - but I'm going to counter that by turning off RF at that stage - people being spread out for the add spawns, making it hard to heal and people not *dealing* with the adds rapidly enough meaning we've not regrouped in time for the next weapon/mind control.

(And even as I type that, I've had a brainwave for the adds. Can one person be targetted with adds twice in the same whirlwind, or will each bolt pick a unique target?)

Diodiablo

Banned
Time for our third night on Garrosh normal. Any tips? Our biggest problem currently is after the second 'vision' phase, dealing with the empowered whirlwind ability; a combination of the adds going straight for me (as a tank) - but I'm going to counter that by turning off RF at that stage - people being spread out for the add spawns, making it hard to heal and people not *dealing* with the adds rapidly enough meaning we've not regrouped in time for the next weapon/mind control.

(And even as I type that, I've had a brainwave for the adds. Can one person be targetted with adds twice in the same whirlwind, or will each bolt pick a unique target?)

Starting from the bottom, yes, you can be targeted twice from the bolts. An important thing to remember about the adds is that they are not that big of a deal unless empowered. This means that if you cannot kill them apart from each other, you are better not killing them at all. This does not mean ignore them, but if killing them is going to be in the way of correctly avoiding other mechanics then your DPS have to rethink their priorities. We have the same problem with a paladin tank, as the damage Garrosh does on you is so big that your vengeange skyrockets and you aggro everything with your self heals, do not rush things and remember that you can call a dps with a taunt to move where the ranged are in the less intensive phases and take an add off you. Also your DPS can use stuns and roots to keep the adds apart when they spawn. But if they can't, simply tank the runaway adds, they don't hurt that much unless empowered.

Tacitus_

What we do is DPS spreads, each one picks up an add and kills it away from the rest of the adds. Though our DPS is fairly good so I'm not sure if this'll work for you.

mclem

What we do is DPS spreads, each one picks up an add and kills it away from the rest of the adds. Though our DPS is fairly good so I'm not sure if this'll work for you.

Part of the issue there is that the adds generally make a beeline for me, but I'm hoping the RF change will rectify that. That might actually be the only issue, but it's hard to distinguish between "We can't kill these adds because you're pulling aggro off us" or "We can't react quickly enough to get the adds focussed on us".

Edit: One other thought, should we manage to hit the P3 transition: Does he keep using weapon/MC while he's doing the emoting for the transition? One thing I'm not sure about is quite where his health pool will be when (if) we hit the third vision phase: We're getting through about 50% between first and second, but the scattering and add-killing is going to have an impact, so it'll be touch-and-go if we can burn down a further 40% between the second and third.; if we do get through a third vision, we're going to want to drop him below 10% before he casts the newly-empowered MC.

On that note, I'm thinking that if the third vision does happen, we should keep everyone stacked and treat the weapon like we do in P1, that'll probably maximise our DPS for that short spell.

strafer

That happy moment when you get a mail saying you've been invited to the WoD beta, only not.

Fucking pieces of shit.

Salamando

Part of the issue there is that the adds generally make a beeline for me, but I'm hoping the RF change will rectify that. That might actually be the only issue, but it's hard to distinguish between "We can't kill these adds because you're pulling aggro off us" or "We can't react quickly enough to get the adds focussed on us".

Edit: One other thought, should we manage to hit the P3 transition: Does he keep using weapon/MC while he's doing the emoting for the transition? One thing I'm not sure about is quite where his health pool will be when (if) we hit the third vision phase: We're getting through about 50% between first and second, but the scattering and add-killing is going to have an impact, so it'll be touch-and-go if we can burn down a further 40% between the second and third.; if we do get through a third vision, we're going to want to drop him below 10% before he casts the newly-empowered MC.

On that note, I'm thinking that if the third vision does happen, we should keep everyone stacked and treat the weapon like we do in P1, that'll probably maximise our DPS for that short spell.

Turning off RF will make a noticeable improvement. Our pally tank started doing that last week, made the adds much easier to grab. Still recommend rooting where possible though. As much faith as I have in Mind Blast to get aggro on one, Void Tendril's are much more trustworthy.

For weapons, you have enough room that you can simply move around them once you enter P2. Stand at the edge of one so the desecrates overlap as much as possible, that kind of thing. Maybe DPS one down if it's in a really bad spot.

mclem

Turning off RF will make a noticeable improvement. Our pally tank started doing that last week, made the adds much easier to grab. Still recommend rooting where possible though. As much faith as I have in Mind Blast to get aggro on one, Void Tendril's are much more trustworthy.

For weapons, you have enough room that you can simply move around them once you enter P2. Stand at the edge of one so the desecrates overlap as much as possible, that kind of thing. Maybe DPS one down if it's in a really bad spot.

Oh, I should have said! We're killing them in general in P2 (Move, deal with mind control, blast weapon, repeat), but I'm thinking of the last one specifically, where we may not need to retreat in time for the whirlwind.

Salamando

Oh, I should have said! We're killing them in general in P2 (Move, deal with mind control, blast weapon, repeat), but I'm thinking of the last one specifically, where we may not need to retreat in time for the whirlwind.

Each point of damage done on the weapon is damage not being done to Garrosh. During P1 it's not bad, but you want out of P2 and P3 fast as possible.

What my raid does...if Garrosh's throne is South, we run to the eastern tusk of Garrosh's throne right after the first vision. Weapon drops, we run to the eastern edge. Kill the first weapon. He throws another one, we run east, kill the weapon. At this point we're in the southeast corner, and just stack a bunch of weapons along the eastern wall. After the second vision, we run into the southeast corner, right against the weapon that's there. we then inch along the southern wall in a similar manner.

If a desecrate lands in a real bad spot from a melee running around, then we'll DPS it, but in general we'd rather kill Garrosh quicker.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TBC is full of Draenei lore. Shattrath is a Draenei capital city, the Exodar was originally part of Tempest Keep, there are Draenei cities all over Outland, about half of the Alliance towns are Draenei-oriented, and a good portion of Outland lore is dedicated to the Draenei's presence there, even if it is due to the infamous Blizzard retconning technique.

Worgen, though, vanished after their starting zone, aside from a few NPCs here and there and some questlines that mention or briefly involve them. That quest in The Blasted Lands where you put the spirits of the Gilnean shipwreck to rest comes to mind. I feel like Gilneas became more important to the Horde than it did to the Alliance. Its second half is done on the Horde side, in the Undead zone! It makes sense, lore wise, but they really couldn't make it an Alliance quest hub, too? The Goblins got Azshara, and the Worgen got dumped off in Darkshore. Come on.
Worgen are pretty much the most irrelevant alliance race. Like I see plenty of them, but they're just there. You're better off just associating them with the humans of the Alliance.

It might depend on your server, but the biggest race downfall population-wise on mine has been Tauren. I hardly EVER see Tauren anymore. I used to see them more than any other race until Blood Elves. Now they're the Horde race I see the least of. Trolls and Orcs made a big comeback and Taurens are just wallowing in Mulgore.

I still think if Blizzard could 'redo' any race it would be the Draenei though. I think they know they fucked up with how much retconning and how ridiculous they are, but too many people like them for it to happen. But after that, I think they'd want to redo how they handled Worgen. I can think of about 10 other races that would be better than Worgen.

I was randomly thinking about what Death Knights were like at the launch of WoTLK, where all 3 specs could (sorta) both tank and DPS, and how strict the rotations were.

Part of me misses it, especially Blood DPS.

I haven't gotten around to touching my DK in MoP yet, but I can't imagine they are that different from Cata.

I Frost Tanked and did Blood DPS most of Wrath - Blood with the Armor Penetration stacking ala Warriors. Frost Tank was pretty awesome having Howling Blast for EZ AoE aggro and pulls. That with DnD and you were in great shape. Though I did play each spec in both roles for varying lengths of time. Unholy tank was the least viable though except on Sarth so I only did that a few times. If I think about it anymore more memories/nostalgia than I would know what to do with will come flooding back.

Bisnic

Worgen are pretty much the most irrelevant alliance race. Like I see plenty of them, but they're just there. You're better off just associating them with the humans of the Alliance.

It might depend on your server, but the biggest race downfall population-wise on mine has been Tauren. I hardly EVER see Tauren anymore. I used to see them more than any other race until Blood Elves. Now they're the Horde race I see the least of. Trolls and Orcs made a big comeback and Taurens are just wallowing in Mulgore.

I still think if Blizzard could 'redo' any race it would be the Draenei though. I think they know they fucked up with how much retconning and how ridiculous they are, but too many people like them for it to happen. But after that, I think they'd want to redo how they handled Worgen. I can think of about 10 other races that would be better than Worgen.

Taurens aren't that rare, in fact there was 3 of us the other day in my 5 mans dungeon while lvling my Tauren Hunter.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is so frustrating, my fresh 90 mage in 496 gear, with trash trinkets and weapon can out dps my 522 retpally by over 20k dps.

140k frost vs ~115k retty

It isnt fair ;_;

Draxal

Taurens aren't that rare, in fact there was 3 of us the other day in my 5 mans dungeon while lvling my Tauren Hunter.

Anecdotal is anecdotal? Taurens are kinda rare now as their racials really suck and they lost exclusivity to on druids.

Fjordson

Yeah, I love Taurens. I'll be leveling up a horde character on a friend's server when WoD comes out and it'll probably be a Tauren.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I never played Cataclysm nor most of MoP.

Have Hunters and Warlocks never NOT been top of the DPS food chain? Even when I outgear a hunter or Warlock, they blow my dps up even if I can beat just about every other class. It was the same way during WOTLK too(except the Locks were Aff instead of Destro). I guess Rogues are like that too, but I can top rogues, I can top Monks or come close. It just seems like the most useful soloing class is also the most useful raiding class(es)

Few days late on this but wanna give a big shout out to Orochinagis for sending me a Scroll and re-enabling my addiction.

No prob man, enjoy the game.

This is so frustrating, my fresh 90 mage in 496 gear, with trash trinkets and weapon can out dps my 522 retpally by over 20k dps.

140k frost vs ~115k retty

It isnt fair ;_;

Frost = free instant 80k-120k ice attacks for everyone.

So I never played Cataclysm nor most of MoP.

Have Hunters and Warlocks never NOT been top of the DPS food chain? Even when I outgear a hunter or Warlock, they blow my dps up even if I can beat just about every other class. It was the same way during WOTLK too(except the Locks were Aff instead of Destro). I guess Rogues are like that too, but I can top rogues, I can top Monks or come close. It just seems like the most useful soloing class is also the most useful raiding class(es)

Warlocks have an amazing AOE and fast DPS but Rogues...those dudes are super hard to do good damage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Frost = free instant 80k-120k ice attacks for everyone.

The damage climb for frost is insane, you'll be at the bottom of the meters most of the time while leveling, and then you'll be trash while trying to get free epics from timeless. Hell you'll be worthless for your first LFR run.

But as soon as you get enough int for your ice lance to do at least 100k with fingers of frost, a decent amount of haste and mastery your dps just spikes to insane levels. I hit 90 on my mage on friday night, and was struggling to do 60k dps, but last night in ToT I was doing 140k dps on fights where I could multi dot, and 105k on single target fights.

Frost is a bit of slippery spec though, using alter time is beyond awkward, I feel like I can't reliably use it without frost orb, since I never want to pop it unless I can pop it with icy veins and 2 Finger procs and a brain freeze as well. It is a cool down that almost asks me for the stars to align to get the most out of it, which is weird since I've been so used to "fire and forget" DPS cool downs where you just pop it and do more damage.

On top of that whenever you're not getting any procs and you realize you've been spamming frost bolt for 10 seconds and you're about to refresh living bomb you start to feel like you're screwing up...even though it's basically out of your control.

It's a weird spec that I don't quite feel like I have mastery over, but it's really electrifying to play, really keeps you on your toes with making split second choices and stuff. It's a good time.

Bisnic

The damage climb for frost is insane, you'll be at the bottom of the meters most of the time while leveling, and then you'll be trash while trying to get free epics from timeless. Hell you'll be worthless for your first LFR run.

But as soon as you get enough int for your ice lance to do at least 100k with fingers of frost, a decent amount of haste and mastery your dps just spikes to insane levels. I hit 90 on my mage on friday night, and was struggling to do 60k dps, but last night in ToT I was doing 140k dps on fights where I could multi dot, and 105k on single target fights.

Frost is a bit of slippery spec though, using alter time is beyond awkward, I feel like I can't reliably use it without frost orb, since I never want to pop it unless I can pop it with icy veins and 2 Finger procs and a brain freeze as well. It is a cool down that almost asks me for the stars to align to get the most out of it, which is weird since I've been so used to "fire and forget" DPS cool downs where you just pop it and do more damage.

On top of that whenever you're not getting any procs and you realize you've been spamming frost bolt for 10 seconds and you're about to refresh living bomb you start to feel like you're screwing up...even though it's basically out of your control.

It's a weird spec that I don't quite feel like I have mastery over, but it's really electrifying to play, really keeps you on your toes with making split second choices and stuff. It's a good time.

I use Frost Bomb with my Frost Mage. Its good single and aoe damage and its a free Frostfire Bolt every 5-6 secs or so. So i never spend 10 secs casting Frostbolts if im unlucky with Fingers of Frost lol.

Also, be sure to get the glyph of Ice Lance if you don't already.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I use Frost Bomb with my Frost Mage. Its good single and aoe damage and its a free Frostfire Bolt every 5-6 secs or so. So i never spend 10 secs casting Frostbolts if im unlucky with Fingers of Frost lol.

Also, be sure to get the glyph of Ice Lance if you don't already.

Is glyph of ice lance the one that makes it cleave? Because that one paired with frozen orb is absolutely amazing for aoe.

I experimented with tempest not frost bomb, what was fun about tempest was that I had so many Brain Freeze procs! What was bad about tempest was that it did like half the damage than LB over a long fight and had so many BF procs that they were overwriting each other and I was wasting them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In guild chat today we made a pretty convincing argument for playable Hozen. Since they die so quickly they'd be the first 'roguelike' race. Whenever you die, you return as a new one that just pillaged the loot off the previous one.

Also poo throwing racial

Bisnic

Is glyph of ice lance the one that makes it cleave? Because that one paired with frozen orb is absolutely amazing for aoe.

I experimented with tempest not frost bomb, what was fun about tempest was that I had so many Brain Freeze procs! What was bad about tempest was that it did like half the damage than LB over a long fight and had so many BF procs that they were overwriting each other and I was wasting them.

Yeah, that's the glyph that sends 2 Ice Lance. I use that, Glyph of Icy Veins and Glyph of Evocation.

Dont forget to use Alter Time with all your stacks and icy veins for more hilarious damage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah, that's the glyph that sends 2 Ice Lance. I use that, Glyph of Icy Veins and Glyph of Evocation.

I use the same ones except I run with glyph of water elemental, because it's a huge dps boost when in fights that are really mobile. Also glyph of evo kinda runs weird with invocation, 10% hp every 2.5 seconds has really limited functionality.

Bisnic

I use the same ones except I run with glyph of water elemental, because it's a huge dps boost when in fights that are really mobile. Also glyph of evo kinda runs weird with invocation, 10% hp every 2.5 seconds has really limited functionality.

Considering I have to use Evocation almost every 50-55 secs for the 15% spell buff, its not that bad. And its the only heal mages have when soloing stuff. And I never found the water elemental dps to be even worth mentioning. Anyway, its not like i'm constantly moving in most fights.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Considering I have to use Evocation almost every 50-55 secs for the 15% spell buff, its not that bad. And its the only heal mages have when soloing stuff. And I never found the water elemental dps to be even worth mentioning. Anyway, its not like i'm constantly moving in most fights.

Yeah using evo every minute to refresh the 15% buff would basically mean 10% heal added on top of that, so that's worth considering, I move a lot during bosses in LFR and other stuff I'm sure I could just park my pet some where and have them not move and act like a turret or something but honestly I kinda like how easy the glyph makes dealing with my pet, no need for macros or anything just simple follow + assist.

Also I've always considered my pet dps to be really substantial, mine hits for like 40k or so, hell my pet has outdps'ed people before.

Mothman91

Question for Herbalists/Alchemists, how the fuck do you find Golden Lotuses besides from using the motes to buy 2?

I can't fucking find any to farm and make some flasks. I use to make alot of money off of Flasks in Cata, but now in MoP, I can barely make any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom