• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

The more important question is where is the Beta? This is lookinglike a December release more and more. Sure hope it doesn't get delayed into early 2015.

I'm torn. On the one hand I'd love WoD soon. On the other, we're starting to make some reasonable headway into heroic SoO, and I'm on holiday at the start of October so if it hits then, I'm not really going to be able to play for a few weeks and I'll be stuck a bit behind my guild when I do return. Add to the fact that I like to enjoy levelling rather than powering through it and my guild might even be making their first steps into raiding before I hit 100.

I don't really care when it comes out. On one hand, I've pretty much exhausted most everything there is to do in Pandaria. Not gonna bother getting a cloak/gearing on any additional alts, etc. And I'm working on 7th/8th 90s which is a pretty grindy exercise (somewhat dreading raising all my 90s to 100).

On the other hand, I really want get HC Garrosh down with my current raid group. We're not bad, but at 6 hours a week, even with extends every other week, it's a very limited schedule. I anticipate it taking no less than 3-4 months from now to get there, let alone down him, sitting at 9/14H now (which should be 10/14H at least this week or next). Our biggest enemy is time.

And it's not just about the mount. The mount/title I can get carried/buy for (relatively) cheap from one of the other teams in my guild before the expac is out. It's for the prestige

ampere

The Undead male looks so damn good. Like a true zombie. Pretty creepy though.

I kinda want to race change my Monk to Blood Elf for the AoE Silence and 1% Crit, maybe I will depending on how they look when updated.

So I just read on MMOChampion that Method is wiping in 5-mans.

>.<

So...? It's alpha, nothing is tuned well and there's tons of bugs.

Most 5 mans will continue to be easy with Challenge Mode available for a difficulty step up.

witness

Frustrations with my hunter continue. I've never had a character with such shitty luck on boss drops, not items I don't want but just anything. Anyway, going to take a break from him for a few days and hop back on my warlock.

Still not sure who will be my main though for WoD. Warlock, Hunter, and DK capped currently and my monk might be next if I stick with him. I think I'm done with my paladin and shaman though, 87 and 86, who were my two mains that I raided with in TBC. I just don't enjoy them anymore, pretty sad. I'm not going to level multiple classes at the same time, I want to go all in on one first. I'll probably have to wait for 6.0 and see how I feel about the class changes before I can decide.

Monk continues to be awesome, got another 3 levels last night in about 1 1/2 hours last night. He's at 62 now and I've barely touched the quests in hellfire. Might just go to zangermarsh because I just hate the look of hellfire. It's such a fun class that continues to just get better.

I can totally see WoD being a January release just like TBC. There's not even a beta yet and I remember I got into the beta in July before WotLK which was a November release. Can the beta really begin in the next month?

lazygecko

Speaking of old dungeons, were there any more classic dungeons slated for redesign for the next expansion? I am honestly not a big fan of the Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery redesigns. They suffer too much from being retrofitted into the extremly linear and narrow modern designs. It just made them feel more like rollercoaster rides rather than actual places people lived in.

rallaren

Speaking of old dungeons, were there any more classic dungeons slated for redesign for the next expansion? I am honestly not a big fan of the Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery redesigns. They suffer too much from being retrofitted into the extremly linear and narrow modern designs. It just made them feel more like rollercoaster rides rather than actual places people lived in.
Big gripe for me. I did not want to go there again after a runthrough.

Giggzy

Obviously MMO's are in constant need of balance due to the scale of the genre, but have any of you quit a toon because they're underpowered? Or do you believe a skilled players can overcome the weakness?

I'd like to start playing my ret pally again but reading the class forums is discouraging me from coming back LOL. I like to PvE and PvP equally. I don't care about being overpowered or underpowered as long as its not a huge gulf between the two.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Obviously MMO's are in constant need of balance due to the scale of the genre, but have any of you quit a toon because they're underpowered? Or do you believe a skilled players can overcome the weakness?

I'd like to start playing my ret pally again but reading the class forums is discouraging me from coming back LOL. I like to PvE and PvP equally. I don't care about being overpowered or underpowered as long as its not a huge gulf between the two.

Stop right there.

lazygecko

I'm moreso concerned about classes having good unique playstyles. I stuck with my shaman from the vanilla days and went through the balance rollercoasting of being considered one of the best and worst classes for all kinds of things. But the playstyle has remained mostly consistent since TBC and I'm fairly happy with that.

Paladins on the other hand used to be one of my favorite classes but find them too boring to play now after the numerous design overhauls. Retribution and Protection barely feels any different from playing the warrior equivalents these days and I hate that. They may be more balanced than before, but it just wasn't worth the sacrifice from a design standpoint you ask me. I loved the "feel" of paladin tanking throughout TBC and even WOTLK.

Giggzy

Hahaha, I know. I haven't played in awhile so I visited the forums as there are usually good guides stickied at the top. Just a quick glance down showed nothing but complaining so it put doubt in my mind :p

Regarding professions, combat buffs are getting removed in WoD correct? Min/maxing engineering and blacksmithing(or tailoring?) won't be the way to go anymore? Should I not worry about leveling two crafting professions then if I don't have another character on this server to feed him ore?

Fjordson

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the forums. There's so much negativity and complaining there, it's crazy.

In my nine years with the game I've never ever quit a class because they were too underpowered, nor have I ever had a friend or someone I knew in game drop a class because of that. Now if we're talking like world first heroic raiding, then there may be situations where a class is undervalued compared to others because of a nerf or something. But for everyone else? Nah. Every class is viable with gear and competency.

And for what it's worth, my brother has a ret/prot pally. Loves it and does fine in normal and heroic SoO.

Edit: should mention I'm mostly speaking from the PvE side of things, I don't PvP much. But still, I wouldn't sweat any negativity on the forums too much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish there was a glyph or something to make Frost Nova behave like the Water Elementals Freeze. Mages having so many AOEs that require you to be near the mob(when in PVE, you never are) is just so awkward.

I can't imagine being Arcane in WoD and your only static AOE requiring you to run up to the mobs.

Dawg

1403793213831gdjwc.gif

So I just read on MMOChampion that Method is wiping in 5-mans.

>.<

People have always wiped in 5-mans. Takes a few weeks of gearing for them to become trivial, assuming blizzard doesn't listen to whiners who don't want to put CC on their action bars.

Method's not some godlike group of people that trivializes content just because of who they are. Present them with a new challenge they can't spend/alt their way through and they die just like anybody else.

ampere

Hahaha, I know. I haven't played in awhile so I visited the forums as there are usually good guides stickied at the top. Just a quick glance down showed nothing but complaining so it put doubt in my mind :p

Yeah don't let the negative nancys sway you. Ret is pretty darn fun and class balance has never been better. There are outliers, like Warlocks, but mostly things are good.

I wish there was a glyph or something to make Frost Nova behave like the Water Elementals Freeze. Mages having so many AOEs that require you to be near the mob(when in PVE, you never are) is just so awkward.

I can't imagine being Arcane in WoD and your only static AOE requiring you to run up to the mobs.

Well technically they also have Nether Tempest and Arcane Barrage can cleave, but mostly yes. Maybe go a different spec for a heavy AoE fight.

That's so gross and it's a good thing. They look so creepy now, I might have to roll more undead toons

ch0mp

People have always wiped in 5-mans. Takes a few weeks of gearing for them to become trivial, assuming blizzard doesn't listen to whiners who don't want to put CC on their action bars.

Method's not some godlike group of people that trivializes content just because of who they are. Present them with a new challenge they can't spend/alt their way through and they die just like anybody else.
I'm guessing you weren't here for the start of MoP? They were a joke even in levelling gear.

Druid to 85, 40% of the way through 86.

Still torn on how to handle professions with him, taking into account the no-flying in WoD, + general leveling order. If I give him mining I'd like to drop it on my warrior, but I don't know if I'll level the Druid as one of my earlier toons, so having both gathering profs on one character could be a detriment, especially with no inherent advantage from the flight form. If I keep mining on my warrior for now, then I'm not making use of a profession slot.

I'm guessing you weren't here for the start of MoP? They were a joke even in levelling gear.

MoP was the exception, they stared out undertuned for difficult to grasp reasons. I definitely saw wipes in Cata/WotLK and almost certainly TBC 5 mans, leveling and heroics until the gear curve outpaced their tuning.

And Karabor and Bladespire won't be our hubs, but some shitty outpost on the outskirts of Ashran.

Are you kidding me? Portals and vendors will only be at Ashran. Well, good way to make Karabor and Bladespire empty Blizz, great job. Guess they really want to push Ashran PvP.

naamloos9ijsw.png

Does Blizzard have certain flags they use to qualify accounts for Beta? I guess they don't want to turn them into a "hand us money for beta access!" thing, but it does irk me that I've been playing on and off since Vanilla and have pre-ordered all the expansions, yet have never gotten a beta invite.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
And Karabor and Bladespire won't be our hubs, but some shitty outpost on the outskirts of Ashran.

Are you kidding me? Portals and vendors will only be at Ashran. Well, good way to make Karabor and Bladespire empty Blizz, great job. Guess they really want to push Ashran PvP.

naamloos9ijsw.png

Saw this early, it surprised me to say the least. Wonder what the plans for the two other places are now.

I wish they'd quit separating Horde and Alliance hubs. Having them in one place, like in Dalaran or Shattrath, helps keep things feeling lively on low-pop realms, or during non-peak hours.

Fjordson

I wish they'd quit separating Horde and Alliance hubs. Having them in one place, like in Dalaran or Shattrath, helps keep things feeling lively on low-pop realms, or during non-peak hours.
I sort of agree. I mean I don't mind separate ones, but I loved Shatt and Dal. It's cool when both factions are hanging out in the same city.

I've never gotten into a Blizzard beta and I probably never will.

Still hope they make Karabor/Bladespire our main hubs. Just put a portal to Ashram there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wish I could have traded my HotS alpha access for a WoD one. Would actually do something with that, especially with the premade 90s going up soon.

strafer

So question regarding these so called wow veterans...do one have to have stayed subbed since vanilla until now or can you have some unsubbing in your closet?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got upgraded to core raider in my guild. Which is cool, but I still haven't killed Garrosh due to people from the original team needing their mounts. Which is fine, I get in for the majority of fights, and I've opted out of Siegecrafter and Paragons until I've got my Elemental set together because fuck those fights as melee.

GM's a little intense during raid time, but I guess you have to be. Hopefully I can go with this team into WoD.

Robin64

oh look, no invite.

lol its just for wow veterans...lol blizz.. what the fuck

okay...wait a minute

Nah, I've been subbed since day 1 with no breaks and don't have an invite. And if past betas are anything to go by, I won't get one. Never had one, ever.

mclem

So question regarding these so called wow veterans...do one have to have stayed subbed since vanilla until now or can you have some unsubbing in your closet?

I was unsubbed for about nine months during Vanilla, and I have one. Constant sub since, though.

And, if it's a factor, I've never been selected for a Beta before (other than the automatic Annual Pass one)

RPGCrazied

Beta starts today. How convenient. And this time they are sending invites to WoW veterans first. What does that mean? High end guilds, or people that have been playing a long time? Been playing since 2005. Hope I'm included.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone on the forums came up with this
tumblr_n7ron45wC51r70tw6o1_500.jpg

Not really sure why Blizzard gives the female models fairly realistic proportions, but the men all look like a Rob Liefeld prototype.

RPGCrazied

Someone on the forums came up with this
tumblr_n7ron45wC51r70tw6o1_500.jpg

Not really sure why Blizzard gives the female models fairly realistic proportions, but the men all look like a Rob Liefeld prototype.

Better! Now shorten the arms just a tad, and rid of all the body hair, or at least make it optional.

No beta invite for me (yet). Though I've never gotten into a WoW beta before, just other games. Hopefully I can get in or snag a key from a contest or something before it's out - really feeling the need to test garrisons/professions more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom