• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Ordinarily I don't do betas in general - preferring to be surprised by the finished product - but I'm rather curious about the effect the reduced self-healing will have on my survival as tank, and how I need to adapt to it.

Also, I'm pretty much on 1M health in-game, and I'd be amused to find out what that translates to in the new world order :)

Edit: Oh, and how many bag spaces I can expect to regain from the toybox!

Fjordson

Has anyone gotten the Bone-White raptor from farming the bones on isle of giants? I want the mount, but I'm not sure how insane the grind will be. Especially if it's basically just me doing it solo.

Beta starts today. How convenient. And this time they are sending invites to WoW veterans first. What does that mean? High end guilds, or people that have been playing a long time? Been playing since 2005. Hope I'm included.
Eh, don't think it means much. Still a total crapshoot. I'm still on the account I've had since Christmas '04 and I haven't gotten in =[

But this is just the first wave so maybe eventually.

Measley

No Beta for me yet, but great that they're finally getting up and running with it!

Yeah. I'm pretty surprised it took this long to begin. Post Blizzcon I thought they'd start beta in late Winter.

Guess this means release will be in November/December?

Bizazedo

Ordinarily I don't do betas in general - preferring to be surprised by the finished product - but I'm rather curious about the effect the reduced self-healing will have on my survival as tank, and how I need to adapt to it.

Also, I'm pretty much on 1M health in-game, and I'd be amused to find out what that translates to in the new world order :)

Edit: Oh, and how many bag spaces I can expect to regain from the toybox!

Same. I had just hit 1.1M health raid buffed as a tank when my guild asploded, so curious to see what that means in WoD tonight.

I needed to log back into WoW anyways, so it's a good time.

As to the veteran thing, I've been here since WoW vanilla Beta, so /shrug.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I got into the beta. That's pretty cool I guess.
Nice, I'm hoping to get an invite too. Haven't been able to find anyone interested in testing the stuff I want to test, cvars, graphics settings, memory etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Friend is saying you have to click the toys one by one to add to toy box. and that things that were trinkets, like Orb of Deception, are now not trinkets in the toy box.

ampere

Some of you got beta invites? Lucky nerds!!

I really want to test what mclem was talking about, tank self-sustainability. I know it's significantly reduced, but I want to know how it compares across the tanks now vs 6.0. If Monks lose out big time to DKs I might want to play DK.

Friend is saying you have to click the toys one by one to add to toy box. and that things that were trinkets, like Orb of Deception, are now not trinkets in the toy box.

Yeah I heard that too. So you do need to currently have the item and it gets turned into an account wide 'spell'.

Bizazedo

Yeah I heard that too. So you do need to currently have the item and it gets turned into an account wide 'spell'.
That's one of the reasons I kept everything and my bank is full, I figured that's how it'd work.

As for the tanks thing.....is the squish "active" in the old zones or is it just in WoD? Weren't people getting one shot in MoP when they went there by f'ng Yaungol's?

ampere

As for the tanks thing.....is the squish "active" in the old zones or is it just in WoD? Weren't people getting one shot in MoP when they went there by f'ng Yaungol's?

You're the one with beta, test test test! :p

I know they said they weren't gonna squish old stuff immediately on alpha, no idea if it happened yet. Mione was still soloing Cata raid bosses anyway...

Btw now that beta is out I predict another September launch.

mclem

Some of you got beta invites? Lucky nerds!!

I really want to test what mclem was talking about, tank self-sustainability. I know it's significantly reduced, but I want to know how it compares across the tanks now vs 6.0. If Monks lose out big time to DKs I might want to play DK.

At the moment all I think you'll have to go on is a generalised 'feel', given that it's still in an environment of constant iteration. Actually, possibly the best test would be me attempting to single-tank Garrosh, which is something I'm currently capable of in the Mists ruleset... but convincing beta players that they want to plough through Normal (or I guess, Heroic in the new paradigm) Siege of Orgrimmar might be a challenge!

Bizazedo

You're the one with beta, test test test! :p

I know they said they weren't gonna squish old stuff immediately on alpha, no idea if it happened yet. Mione was still soloing Cata raid bosses anyway

/whine

I'm at work....!!

At the moment all I think you'll have to go on is a generalised 'feel', given that it's still in an environment of constant iteration. Actually, possibly the best test would be me attempting to single-tank Garrosh, which is something I'm currently capable of in the Mists ruleset... but convincing beta players that they want to plough through Normal (or I guess, Heroic in the new paradigm) Siege of Orgrimmar might be a challenge!

I'd go with ya. I've also single tanked / switched to dps when guildmate wanted to single tank Garrosh. Not as thrilling as single healing, but yeah.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some information about the new console variables that got added in the most recent build (18482).

Now, this isn't that much in terms of information available, but the amount of new console variables is quite high.

Help means the help text available in the console.

New variables

OutlineEngineMode
Help: Mode for the OutlineBuffer for the engine

Whether this is simply a new name for outlineMode or entirely I do not know, but it's seems reasonable that's simply a new name.

raidsettingsinit
Help: Raid Settings have been set once

Unsure what this does as I haven't access to the alpha/beta.

DepthBasedOpacity
Help: Enable/Disable Soft Edge Effect

Kinda strange name for such an effect.

raidGraphicsQuality
Help: save for Raid Graphics Quality Selection

As for raidsettingsinit, I'm unsure what this does but it seems to be separate graphics settings for raid environments?

raidTerrainMipLevel
Terrain blend map mip level

Seems to be simply a raid environment specific variable regarding mipmaps.

raidgroundEffectfade
Raid Ground effect fade

Same as above, but for ground effects (flowers, grass, rocks) and at which distance they will begin to fade. The term groundEffectFade is new, previously there's only been groundEffectDensity and groundEffectDist (which works like fade).

New variables without help text

All of these already exist in the game but without the "raid" prefix. These do not have a help text but seem to operate under their own rules as value for most can be set outside the regular boundaries.

raidComponentTextureLevel
raidRefraction
raidParticleDensity
raidSunShafts
raidRippleDetail
raidReflectionMode
raidShadowTextureSize (value can be set outside the normal 1024/2048)
raidProjectedTextures
raidTextureFilteringMode
raidWorldBaseMip (value can be set outside 0-2)
raidWmoLodDist
raidTerrainTextureLod
raidshadowMode
raidgroundEffectDist
raidgroundEffectDensity
raidSSAOBlur
raidSSAO
raidWaterDetail
raidfarclip

If this is for testing only or if Blizzard intends to work on raid specific settings I don't know, but the latter seems likely considering the sheer amount of variables.

I'm excited to test all these and more in the beta.

Got a beta invite this morning, copied my live toon over. On live I logged out flying high above stormwind, when I logged into the beta I wasn't on my mount and fell to my doom, was hitting my flight form keybind out of panic even though they aren't copied over of course. =\

strafer

Rösti;118492106 said:
Some information about the new console variables that got added in the most recent build (18482).

Now, this isn't that much in terms of information available, but the amount of new console variables is quite high.

Help means the help text available in the console.

New variables

OutlineEngineMode
Help: Mode for the OutlineBuffer for the engine

Whether this is simply a new name for outlineMode or entirely I do not know, but it's seems reasonable that's simply a new name.

raidsettingsinit
Help: Raid Settings have been set once

Unsure what this does as I haven't access to the alpha/beta.

DepthBasedOpacity
Help: Enable/Disable Soft Edge Effect

Kinda strange name for such an effect.

raidGraphicsQuality
Help: save for Raid Graphics Quality Selection

As for raidsettingsinit, I'm unsure what this does but it seems to be separate graphics settings for raid environments?

raidTerrainMipLevel
Terrain blend map mip level

Seems to be simply a raid environment specific variable regarding mipmaps.

raidgroundEffectfade
Raid Ground effect fade

Same as above, but for ground effects (flowers, grass, rocks) and at which distance they will begin to fade. The term groundEffectFade is new, previously there's only been groundEffectDensity and groundEffectDist (which works like fade).

New variables without help text

All of these already exist in the game but without the "raid" prefix. These do not have a help text but seem to operate under their own rules as value for most can be set outside the regular boundaries.

raidComponentTextureLevel
raidRefraction
raidParticleDensity
raidSunShafts
raidRippleDetail
raidReflectionMode
raidShadowTextureSize (value can be set outside the normal 1024/2048)
raidProjectedTextures
raidTextureFilteringMode
raidWorldBaseMip (value can be set outside 0-2)
raidWmoLodDist
raidTerrainTextureLod
raidshadowMode
raidgroundEffectDist
raidgroundEffectDensity
raidSSAOBlur
raidSSAO
raidWaterDetail
raidfarclip

If this is for testing only or if Blizzard intends to work on raid specific settings I don't know, but the latter seems likely considering the sheer amount of variables.

I'm excited to test all these and more in the beta.

What does all this mean?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Rosti, do you think the new changes will enable you to play WoW in Picasso mode, or is it more like Salvador Dali?
Hard to say, but I think there might be room for both sides. I intend to suggest to Blizzard that they change minimum value of several cvars, as WoD will certainly be more taxing on low-tier systems. For example, Wowedit (the engine) allows for a negative value of draw distance (farclip), but currently the minimum value is 200 (decreased to 0 in Cataclysm, but since changed). Having more control of draw distance can make a huge difference in performance, I believe I would be able to see an FPS above 200 if I could have farclip at let's say 10-25; I did it on the 4.2 PTR.

There's also some stuff regarding mipmapping for both components (player) and terrain (world) that needs to be addressed.

The seemingly alt-unfriendliness of garrisons and how closely they currently appear to be tied to professions in Warlords is worrying.

I want my alt army to make gold for me without having to put in TOO much time on them.

So Karabor and Bladespire are no longer faction capitals for the expansion.

EDIT: Looks like I should have scrolled up. lol

But yeah. I don't want Shrines 2.0. I was really looking forward to using Karabor and Bladespire as capital cities. Really feels like they're rushing this.

Robin64

ybmHYv3.jpg

Rokam

Glad we won't have flying mounts at max level so we can instead use portals to jump from the capital city to the main land.

witness

Today was a good day. My wife didn't go to work because she's sick so I stayed at home with her just because I can. So because of that I got to play a fuck load of WoW.

Monk up to 64 without touching a single quest in zanger and just going straight to Nagrand. I upgraded his justice heirlooms to level 85, so he's good to go.

Now the good stuff. So I still needed a ranged weapon from SoO on my hunter and I finally got one. Went straight to the third wing of SoO and the first boss dropped the gun. I didn't even have to use a bonus roll, I just had a feeling that I would get it. For me, he feels amazing now. I love it.

My warlock continues to be the luckiest character I've ever had. So I needed a few upgrades from the second wing of SoO. I was pulled into a group on the third boss, shaman boss I think. I needed either the neck or trinket, and on the auto roll I got the neck and I said fuck it, let's roll to see if I can get the trinket also. It popped up that I won the trinket as well. I was so surprised and happy. I also regemmed him after looking at mr robot, and it made a huge difference.

My two mains feel great right now.

xXJonoXx

IGN right now has a Beta key if you sign up for their IGN Prime service. I signed up for $6.95 for one month and could redeem the key immediately on battle.net

Cancelled the recurring billing after I claimed it.

Tamanon

Banned
IGN right now has a Beta key if you sign up for their IGN Prime service. I signed up for $6.95 for one month and could redeem the key immediately on battle.net

Cancelled the recurring billing after I claimed it.

That's actually pretty disgusting that they are selling Beta keys.

xXJonoXx

They aren't selling the keys, they are selling the IGN Prime service. Getting the key is just a perk of having a subscription. No different than PlayStation Plus.

There are other betas available with IGN Prime right now too.

Yeah there's no way I'm paying a subscription to get access to a beta key.

That's not to say I didn't actually think about doing it. I was quite tempted at first. lol

xXJonoXx

Well you only have to pay for one month to get the beta key for Warlords. You can cancel afterwards and not pay anything else if you want but still get access to the service for a whole month (they might have other giveaways or exclusives during this month.) I'm actually liking what they are offering with this IGN Prime. Not a bad service. I may stay signed up for a couple months. Gotta do something while this 27GB is downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom