• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

Interesting. My main is a hunter so I'd have to do them as DPS.

It scales down your gear right? My hunter is 574 so his gear is decent, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Sockets don't scale down so gear with more sockets is better.

In WoD the sockets will be disabled so all gear should be equal, stat priorities aside.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i dont play much any more but im reading the changes to the game with WoD and everything seems to be for the better (minus expanding the brackets back out to 10 levels but if gear is going to scale and the problem of even hitting someone 9 levels higher than you is addressed it shouldnt be an issue). When i was looking at the CC changes for the different classes all was good.. 3-9 abilities removed/changed from each. i looked for DK in the list then i remembered they really dont have any CC to remove to begin with. Oh yea lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i dont play much any more but im reading the changes to the game with WoD and everything seems to be for the better (minus expanding the brackets back out to 10 levels but if gear is going to scale and the problem of even hitting someone 9 levels higher than you is addressed it shouldnt be an issue). When i was looking at the CC changes for the different classes all was good.. 3-9 abilities removed/changed from each. i looked for DK in the list then i remembered they really dont have any CC to remove to begin with. Oh yea lol

Don't need no CC when you got Necrotic Strike.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Don't need no CC when you got Necrotic Strike.
i take it NS is still the reason for DK existence then?

edit: Anyway.. havent played for a bit and i wasnt really feeling WoD at first but lately it really has my attention. Definitely the most interest in Wow in years.

Tacitus_

ASDdgfafgsdgfhjdfjfghfgfdgsfhgnffhjfsfdsghjfkgfffghfjghk

TBc2Q9c.jpg

Tacitus_

Now that I'm calmed down. 32 wipes, 5 and a half hours of raiding. We usually raid for only three but decided to fuck it, this guy is going down today.

And I'm totally spent. Fuck HC Garrors learning. Grueling wipes after 9 minutes of by the numbers raiding at the p4 transition or because of the hell roller there.

mclem

And I'm totally spent. Fuck HC Garrors learning. Grueling wipes after 9 minutes of by the numbers raiding at the p4 transition or because of the hell roller there.

Y'know, if they could figure out *how*, I'd certainly approve of some sort of 'jump straight to this phase of the fight for practice purposes, but the kill won't count' mechanic. Would save a lot of frustration.

witness

Played a lot this weekend. Got my monk to 68 now and he's off to northrend now. If I can make it through there I should have no problem hitting 90 on him.

I played a ton of my warlock, I just kind of fell into playing him. Got him so many upgrades and I finally got a Garrosh kill for the first time. Ended up getting a gear token that I used on the helm, so now I have my 4 piece bonus. Destruction just feel incredible, so much more satisfying to me than demonology. Seeing just ridiculous chaos bolt and shadow burn crits does that I guess.

Played a little bit of my DK and hunter but not much. Hoping I can get in on the beta at some point, I was in the WotLK beta and had a great time. It was so exciting doing the DK stuff the first time.

Giggzy

Is the beta a key emailed to you or would it automatically show up on your Blizzard launcher if you got in?

The email address my battle.net account is registered under was terminated many months ago, and I never updated it to my current email ><

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Is the beta a key emailed to you or would it automatically show up on your Blizzard launcher if you got in?

The email address my battle.net account is registered under was terminated many months ago, and I never updated it to my current email ><

I'm pretty certain it'll show up in your launcher.

Peachpies

If you get selected by Blizzard for the beta your account will automatically be flagged and you will get an email about how you got in the beta (but no actual key), and it should show up in the battle.net launcher right away.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is there any other class that has the same repeating element on their armor like rogues do with the three daggers on the shoulders every time? Am I just not seeing it for the other classes? DKs obviously have skulls, and Paladins wear plate skirts, but anything else?

Fjordson

Hey duders, can I go back to 10 man after killing a boss in 25 man?

I killed up to Sha on 10 man normal, then got into a different group and killed up to Thok on 25 man. If I find a 10 man group at Siege or beyond will I be able to get in?

Neverfade

Anyone know where/if there's a direct story continuation from the end of Dominance Offensive line (where bell gets rung and Anduin gets hurt? The only thing I could find was him kickin' it with Wrathion and he mentions getting out alive but banged up. Just curious if there's a chain somewhere with more lore.

Peachpies

Hey duders, can I go back to 10 man after killing a boss in 25 man?

I killed up to Sha on 10 man normal, then got into a different group and killed up to Thok on 25 man. If I find a 10 man group at Siege or beyond will I be able to get in?
aslong as everything was done on normal yes

Y'know, if they could figure out *how*, I'd certainly approve of some sort of 'jump straight to this phase of the fight for practice purposes, but the kill won't count' mechanic. Would save a lot of frustration.

It was intriguing when they put in a substantial buff for wiping on phase 2 Heroic Sha of Fear, presumably to give you an easier time getting back there through the tedium of phase 1. It's strange that they'd give you that ticket on a much shorter, simpler fight but not one with three phase transitions that's 10+ minutes long.

mclem

It was intriguing when they put in a substantial buff for wiping on phase 2 Heroic Sha of Fear, presumably to give you an easier time getting back there through the tedium of phase 1. It's strange that they'd give you that ticket on a much shorter, simpler fight but not one with three phase transitions that's 10+ minutes long.

Oh, yes! While I wasn't at heroic level, I heard about that and I think it's a great idea.

Milennia

i progressed and killed both of these bosses when they were current and at quite a good kill date on a world scale, and heroic sha of fear was about 3 minutes longer of a fight and the wipes were absolutely grueling.
if you wiped in phase 1 you fucked up BAD since the phase was a joke to deal with and set you back so much time, it was basically a waste of a wipe.
a majority of our wipes were sub 20% on a fight that lasted longer than garrosh.

It was also by no means simple, especially when we had 0 guides.
once we worked out all the complexities and had everything up and running, it did eventually become simple, just like any other fight you have down to a science, even heroic ragnaros got there.
sha was always a 2 phase dps race and STILL took a ton of time, yet on garrosh you can literally skip entire phases of the fight with relative ease and a good strat, its pretty boring outside of transition phases until phase 3, or more so the end of phase 3, just a ton of auto pilot. (assuming you don't suck at interrupting, in which case you have 3 chances, if it was up to me i would drop that to an insta 1 shot at 2 chances or even 1)

we currently kill heroic garrosh in 9:20s and it has been possible to kill it at this time for a good bit.

the buff from sha was nice and totally justified and i would love to see it implemented again somewhere, but only on encounters that truly had as many grueling wipes as that guy.

heroic rag current pre geyser for example, where 95% of your wipes were phase 4.

Peachpies

Needing a buff like the sha one is mostly a sign of poor encounter design where you a long and easy first phase that's almost a completely different boss fight, maybe if the first phase of Garrosh was taking 5+ minutes it would be needed.

heroic rag current pre geyser for example, where 95% of your wipes were phase 4.

I wasn't suggesting or trying to suggest it was simple, more that extremely long fights deserve some kind of QoL improvements that should have been in place since T5 at least (Kael wipes being the major pain point then and there). Lei's Hope had the potential of setting an excellent precedent, but unfortunately we haven't had anything like that since. I'd be happy if 10-20 minute bosses went away completely.

Milennia

Needing a buff like the sha one is mostly a sign of poor encounter design where you a long and easy first phase that doesn't have any real effect on the fight, maybe if the first phase of Garrosh was taking 5+ minutes it would be needed.

Its a leftover from normal mode that just didn't work in the heroic version.

The boss just transitioned into his real phase at a specific percent (completely slipped my mind after a year) and everything that happened in said phase meant nothing unless someone died.

A better way of handling this would be having the phase swap on a timer instead, making phase 1 a dps race that would actually affect phase 2 in terms of the bosses health being lower if you pushed hard enough.

Like... damn even your cooldowns, etc reset on the swap, its like phase 1 wasn't even a thing.

Tacitus_

Needing a buff like the sha one is mostly a sign of poor encounter design where you a long and easy first phase that's almost a completely different boss fight, maybe if the first phase of Garrosh was taking 5+ minutes it would be needed.

Once you nail down the first transition (jade temple), Garrosh is 8 minutes on autopilot, then a minute of hectic stuff with all the empowered stuff going on and then you get a brand new phase that has a kiting mechanic where you need to nail down the impact in a 2s window.

Granted, you only need to nail that once and then it's a kill but goddamn do you waste so much time while your kiter learns the feel for the iron star speed & impact range.

Peachpies

Once you nail down the first transition (jade temple), Garrosh is 8 minutes on autopilot, then a minute of hectic stuff with all the empowered stuff going on and then you get a brand new phase that has a kiting mechanic where you need to nail down the impact in a 2s window.

Granted, you only need to nail that once and then it's a kill but goddamn do you waste so much time while your kiter learns the feel for the iron star speed & impact range.
that is because you are doing it at a much higher item level + some nerfs to 10 man garrosh

strafer

haha i fell from a cliff in The Jade Forest so hard I got disconnected.

EDIT: Well...
European online services continue to be impacted by a series of internet anomalies affecting certain service providers that result in high latency and disconnections. These disruption effects have been felt by a portion of our players, impacting their gaming experience.

We continue to closely monitor the situation and would like to thank you again for your continued patience.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

There's no way. Part of it is endurance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just for Ahune's scythe. Probably never use it on my Shaman but whatever.

Any suggestions on what my money making alt should be. It's a Mage, but I'm looking for professions to go with my Shaman who is alch/herb. Mining is a pretty safe bet with my transmutes, so I was thinking of jewelcrafting as well? Herbs sell for shit by themselves on my server

The sha buff was a response to the previous fight with a bonus phase, heroic Rag, where much like with H-Garrosh phases 1-3 were so hard that phase 4 couldn't really be hard on its own, but rather a check to see if you could make a clean transition enough times to learn the phase well enough for a kill. The sha buff made it so that they could actually get away with making phase 2 hard on its own merits rather than a "did you make it here in one piece" check.

The problem with the Sha buff was that it encouraged the weird gameplay of optimizing your comp for phase 1 for the first few pulls until you made a transition and got the buff, then switching people out to get an optimal phase 2 comp since phase 1 was easy now. Any chance of having that kind of buff again died when people started doing that.

It should be noted that the "hard phase->easy phase" fight design where the last phase is basically just a check to see if you can reliably get there with everyone alive isn't exclusive to bonus heroic phases. Razorgore is the first example of this kind of fight, and most of the more highly-regarded fights in the game have done it- Kael'thas, M'uru, Lich King, etc.

Any idea if IGN is getting any more keys for Prime? My game time expires in a few days, and I'd rather mess around in beta than grind LFR if given the choice.

Just for Ahune's scythe. Probably never use it on my Shaman but whatever.

Any suggestions on what my money making alt should be. It's a Mage, but I'm looking for professions to go with my Shaman who is alch/herb. Mining is a pretty safe bet with my transmutes, so I was thinking of jewelcrafting as well? Herbs sell for shit by themselves on my server
I've had pretty good success with Enchanting.

strafer

Oh thank fuck. Finally I can create my own guild and just chill.

What you're seeing in the current build is a change that's mid-implementation. Since the introduction of the guild system in Cataclysm, the nature of guild leveling and guild perks has shifted from being a reward for dedication and collective effort, to effectively being a penalty and barrier to entry for new guilds. We've made it easier to level guilds over the years, allowing low-level quests to count fully towards guild experience, and removing weekly caps on progress. That helps ease the barriers, but it's more of a band-aid than a true solution to the underlying problem.

Our current plan for Warlords is to effectively remove guild leveling (you could also think of it as "all guilds are automatically level 25"). We originally came up with two dozen perks in order to offer something at every guild level, but without the continued need for that granularity, we can streamline the system a bit. Many perks can just be rolled into default behaviors, since a majority of players already had them and the world was designed and tuned around their existence: Flight path taxis can just inherently move 25% faster instead of requiring "Ride Like the Wind"; Honor rewards and item costs can be balanced as if you had "Honorable Mention"; and so forth. For most players, who are in max-level guilds, nothing should perceptibly change.

We still want to incentivize guild membership, aside from the social benefits, so we're keeping conveniences like faster mount speed, instant guild mail, Mass Resurrection, etc., as exclusive benefits to all guilded players. The guild achievement system, and unlocked items and other benefits through completion of guild achievements, will remain as-is. We'd like to emphasize that system a bit more as a yardstick for collective accomplishment, rather than guild level which primarily just reflects individual effort.

The Cash Flow perk is obviously popular, though in most guilds it actually contributes less gold to the guild bank than something like Guild Challenges, since it only applies to looted coins. However, it also fuels some degenerate player behavior: if you've made an alt lately, you've probably noticed that you can't go more than a minute or two without receiving a guild invite - typically from "leaders" who are looking to recruit armies of often-unwitting players to both level guilds for later sale, and to increase the amount of Cash Flow gold that is siphoned into coffers to which only they have access. It can be a meaningful amount of gold for one player's pockets, but for something like a raiding guild, Cash Flow gold barely makes a dent in something like total repair costs. We're removing the Cash Flow perk in Warlords.

We do recognize that it's essential for guilds to have ways of financing their costs, and we will offer alternative, and more lucrative, options for doing so in Warlords (for example, bringing back some Bind on Equip epic drops in raids).

Milennia

The sha buff was a response to the previous fight with a bonus phase, heroic Rag, where much like with H-Garrosh phases 1-3 were so hard that phase 4 couldn't really be hard on its own, but rather a check to see if you could make a clean transition enough times to learn the phase well enough for a kill. The sha buff made it so that they could actually get away with making phase 2 hard on its own merits rather than a "did you make it here in one piece" check.

The problem with the Sha buff was that it encouraged the weird gameplay of optimizing your comp for phase 1 for the first few pulls until you made a transition and got the buff, then switching people out to get an optimal phase 2 comp since phase 1 was easy now. Any chance of having that kind of buff again died when people started doing that.

It should be noted that the "hard phase->easy phase" fight design where the last phase is basically just a check to see if you can reliably get there with everyone alive isn't exclusive to bonus heroic phases. Razorgore is the first example of this kind of fight, and most of the more highly-regarded fights in the game have done it- Kael'thas, M'uru, Lich King, etc.

I agree with all of this.

We would swap around the comp going into phase 2 in 1 shot on the first pull for the buff and wipe.

Eventually it got to a point where we could just 1 shot the boss, but we didn't get many of those considering how short the tier actually was.

I would still like to see more difficult 2 phase encounters, but handled in a different light, especially as an end boss.

Fularu

Banned
Razorgore is the first example of this kind of fight, and most of the more highly-regarded fights in the game have done it- Kael'thas, M'uru, Lich King, etc.

M'uru's burn phase (or Phase 2) is just as hard as Phase 1. I'd say even harder because P1 is a control check and P2 is a DPS/Healing check

In all M'uru was way way harder than KJ and prety much any fight before it (I discard the 4HM since all you needed was 8 warriors with 4/8 DN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom