• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When's Blizzard going to get off their asses and stop with the 'derr not working on low level pvp' and fix the balance issues? Fine if you don't like twinks, but this just happened.

Me: 41 Mage. Full PVE heirlooms
Them: 41 Warrior. Full PVE heirlooms

Warrior Shield Slam Hit you 2924 Physical critical (of 3262 hp)
You died

No hyperbole. That is what actually happened. What's the point of World PVP and their desire to push it when stuff like that and the ridiculous Dispatch(which I personally use on my rogue because it's so busted) are still the way they are?

Acidote

I'm so tired of dealing with people not showing up. We've given Paragons two hours of trys in the last two weeks because people doesn't show up when it's time to wipe for a while.

Tacitus_

that is because you are doing it at a much higher item level + some nerfs to 10 man garrosh

Nah, p2 was a joke outside of the heart phases even prenerf/buff. Only thing those made us do is hit <20% before the 2nd heart phase so we can just regen mana and chill during it.

TheYanger

The sha buff was a response to the previous fight with a bonus phase, heroic Rag, where much like with H-Garrosh phases 1-3 were so hard that phase 4 couldn't really be hard on its own, but rather a check to see if you could make a clean transition enough times to learn the phase well enough for a kill. The sha buff made it so that they could actually get away with making phase 2 hard on its own merits rather than a "did you make it here in one piece" check.

The problem with the Sha buff was that it encouraged the weird gameplay of optimizing your comp for phase 1 for the first few pulls until you made a transition and got the buff, then switching people out to get an optimal phase 2 comp since phase 1 was easy now. Any chance of having that kind of buff again died when people started doing that.

It should be noted that the "hard phase->easy phase" fight design where the last phase is basically just a check to see if you can reliably get there with everyone alive isn't exclusive to bonus heroic phases. Razorgore is the first example of this kind of fight, and most of the more highly-regarded fights in the game have done it- Kael'thas, M'uru, Lich King, etc.

To be fair Suzu, Heroic Rag with his INTENDED mechanic would've been a much more complex phase than what we all did, and would've certainly stressed having 3 healers to the max. Plus, I would just patently disagree about M'uru (Phase 2 was absolutely the harder part of that fight). As much as the last phases of Kael and Lich King have really interesting and complex mechanics, I won't try to justify them as being harder than the preceding phases though.

Re:Garrosh, P2 was always easy, but the dps check was real enough through all phases of the fight. Not 'burn' level DPS like H Rag P3 dps hard, but Baleroc 'consistent high dps requirement' hard. The difference being of course that in a longer multiminute phase or fight you can have a high dps check that doesn't seem as punishing because it's very consistently going to be either doable for your group or not. You're not likely to be RNG teetering on the edge there searching for minute optimizations.

To me the biggest issue with Sha was that even though it was a two phase fight, phase 1 was snooze inducing, and phase 2 might as well have been split into two sub-phases: The part where it's difficult, and the part hwere it's not. I REALLY liked the mechanics of that boss, but holy shit was it boring for like 75% of the encounter. I would happily wipe after 10 minutes of a Rag pull where I was playing intensely than after 10 minutes of Sha where I was fucking sleepwalking for the first 8 minutes. Bosses that require constant attention will do a much better job of keeping your raid on point imo, and I certainly don't think it's 'intended' that the final phases are easier, it just happens to work out that way. Garrosh P4 is pretty damn complex when you're going itno it blind beyond datamining, it's easy now because it's been dissected and we know how you can trivially handle malice, iron stars, bombardments, etc. Plus DPS makes it total jokes in terms of how many times you deal with the 'bad' bombardments and malices in a kill.

M'uru's burn phase (or Phase 2) is just as hard as Phase 1. I'd say even harder because P1 is a control check and P2 is a DPS/Healing check

In all M'uru was way way harder than KJ and prety much any fight before it (I discard the 4HM since all you needed was 8 warriors with 4/8 DN)

Funny thing is, the 8 warrior 4/8 Dreadnaught thing is a super common misconception. I wasn't in Jugg at the time, but I know for instance that they killed it with like half druid tanks because there weren't that many warriors to even have in your guild, let alone with 4/8 and Nat Pagle's trinkets. The actual tank damage on that fight wasn't anything astounding, you just needed people that could rotate and taunt correctly (which druids could do since they had caster gear available at no real survivability loss).

Now I'm all nostalgic, waiting for wildstar servers to come up from patch day, There are a lot of shitty fights in wow, but the REALLY good fights will always stick out to me and remain super fun. I could go fight HLK right now like it was progression again and have a blast. Ditto two dozen other super well designed bosses of yesteryear.

Edit 5: Thinking about Sha again, P2 suffered from the same bullshit as spine, where the problem wasn't how the fight mechanics worked - they were cool enough and challenging, it was that it starts at a difficulty of 0 and slowly ramps all the way up. It needed to start at like a 5 or 6 bare minimum. IE: Sha starting at like, 4 add spawns, and having half the hp? Would've been beautiful. Spine starting on Plate 2 or something would have been much less tedious.

Found this:
http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/1876942
twenty fucking minutes. And I don't even look mildly interested in what's going on until like 15 minutes in. Complete trashcan shit jesus christ.

Hixx

Got a pre-purchase box today, you get some Hearthstone cards and a double-sided poster in the box. Panicked a bit because while you get a card with the Hearthstone (and WoW guest pass) key on it, the WoD key is just on a sticker below the disc-holder. And it took me far too long to spot it, whoops.

Reckon I'll resub ~1 month before WoD drops and sort out the free 90 with gold and proffs before it releases. Hopefully I can get a beta key somewhere, got an itch for WoW but it's not enough to be subbing to it and WildStar at the same time.

RPGCrazied

All the bad changes lately coming to WoD, at least for me, I can say I love this change. My server for horde is pretty sad, hopefully no more 500g quest greens in the AH. You should see some of the pets, if they are blue, they go for thousands of gold, doesn't matter the pet. Don't even get me started on materials. I hope prices come down on a lot of things.

Rokam

Not allowing gnome paladins is Blizzard's greatest mistake. Ever. The End.

I'd give Blizzard money for gnome pallies.

Anyone know where/if there's a direct story continuation from the end of Dominance Offensive line (where bell gets rung and Anduin gets hurt? The only thing I could find was him kickin' it with Wrathion and he mentions getting out alive but banged up. Just curious if there's a chain somewhere with more lore.

I'm also curious about this.

Fularu

Banned
Funny thing is, the 8 warrior 4/8 Dreadnaught thing is a super common misconception. I wasn't in Jugg at the time, but I know for instance that they killed it with like half druid tanks because there weren't that many warriors to even have in your guild, let alone with 4/8 and Nat Pagle's trinkets. The actual tank damage on that fight wasn't anything astounding, you just needed people that could rotate and taunt correctly (which druids could do since they had caster gear available at no real survivability loss).

Now I'm all nostalgic, waiting for wildstar servers to come up from patch day, There are a lot of shitty fights in wow, but the REALLY good fights will always stick out to me and remain super fun. I could go fight HLK right now like it was progression again and have a blast. Ditto two dozen other super well designed bosses of yesteryear.
My point still stands, the hard part of 4HM was to coordonate the tanking rotation and have perfect taunting during the fight. Once you could taunt reliably and rotate your tanks correctly, the fight would become much easier. We would wipe more often on other fights (hello Heigan) than on 4 HM.

Tritroid

Hilarious thing happened last night involving a world boss on Beta:

Somebody spotted a world boss named Enchida, technically in the Spires of Arak, from the very edge of Shadowmoon.

Since Spires of Arak is currently closed, and any players who try to cross over get ported to SW, it was possible to kite him into Shadowmoon with a hunter pet.

The boss had 50 million health, and is obviously meant to be a lvl 100 encounter...never the less an entire zone full of 90s attempted to take him down, by dragging him towards Karabor.

1 hour and 30 minutes in, he was at 35% health remaining, when the server crashed and he reset. Still, what a blast. I love Betas for this reason ^-^

strafer

Is Loque'nahak still hard to tame these days?

harkoa.jpg

Peachpies

Nah, p2 was a joke outside of the heart phases even prenerf/buff. Only thing those made us do is hit <20% before the 2nd heart phase so we can just regen mana and chill during it.
you weren't doing him before they nerfed him and you are coming in with much higher gear levels like i already said, of course the fight is a joke when you way out-gear it, that is true for any fight

Tacitus_

you weren't doing him before they nerfed him and you are coming in with much higher gear levels like i already said, of course the fight is a joke when you way out-gear it, that is true for any fight

We were. We just had to stop progress raids on him because of irl shit since we had barely enough people for raiding before our MT snapped his ankle and had to be in a hospital for surgeries for over a month and then summer happened. That's why there were two guilds in that screenshot, we're combining for WoD mythics and this is a try out.

P2 was a joke when we managed to make it past the first heart phase. We hardly ever wiped in it (ofc, sometimes it happened when both healers got MCd and tank had bad avoidance rolls etc), it was the 2nd heart phase that did us in.
I think we clocked in like 150+ wipes prenerf on him.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
That damn link was leaked on MMO-Champion before announced on the GameSpot stream. I did not get a key.

Ultratech

Finally got that silly Durumu achievement done.

Works out pretty well when you got a group that isn't stupid. :D

Also picked this up from one of the snails:
Gastropod Shell

Pretty fun little item. You get to control a little Snail that can apparently attack stuff and devour Companion Pets.

Also leaves a little slime trail you can sorta draw stuff with.

Finally got that silly Durumu achievement done.

Works out pretty well when you got a group that isn't stupid. :D

Also picked this up from one of the snails:
Gastropod Shell

Pretty fun little item. You get to control a little Snail that can apparently attack stuff and devour Companion Pets.

Also leaves a little slime trail you can sorta draw stuff with.
I've only seen this drop once and I gasped and rolled need on it. Some people were grumpy that a couple of us did (instead of greed) but in my opinion, if you didn't have it... it IS a need. :p

RPGCrazied

Anyone on beta tell me if they took out the multisample option and added an anti-aliasing option? I read a rumor about it. I really hope not, cause if its anything like their other games its just a simple FXAA one. Doesn't look that good. I could easily play WoW with 8x multisample and it looks great.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone on beta tell me if they took out the multisample option and added an anti-aliasing option? I read a rumor about it. I really hope not, cause if its anything like their other games its just a simple FXAA one. Doesn't look that good. I could easily play WoW with 8x multisample and it looks great.
As far as I know you can currently choose between FXAA and CMAA.

Fjordson

Is Loque'nahak still hard to tame these days?

harkoa.jpg
Can be a real pain because of cross-realm zones. Depends on the time, though. I went really late one night with NPC scan and just kept doing a loop of the spawn points. Popped after about a half hour.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

RPGCrazied

Rösti;119161526 said:
I wrote about this a while ago here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108643077&postcount=6844

Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing (CMAA) anyway provides significantly better image quality and temporal stability than FXAA (3.8 at least, I don't know what WoW uses).

Intel's page on CMAA, as also linked via my earlier post: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/conservative-morphological-anti-aliasing-cmaa

Thanks. How do you change it? In your screens I don't even see the option for it. I sure hope later on you can force multisample, cause I got the best image quality with that.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. How do you change it? In your screens I don't even see the option for it. I sure hope later on you can force multisample, cause I got the best image quality with that.
That's an old screen from when CMAA couldn't be enabled via the menu. But I think you should be able to change it in the upper right corner of the settings menu, the frame there.

Edit: It appears the CMAA has been temporarily disabled. It was there yesterday or the day before If I remember correctly. It was then under Anti-Aliasing.
Potentially, you could enable it via the console slash command /console ffxAntiAliasingMode 3. It tells me that CMAA isn't available, but I think this is due to my graphics card. Perhaps you have better luck.

Edit 2: Seems that it's not available in the menu if you haven't got the hardware for it. Or may simple be if the graphics settings menu is toggled at the login screen, though that seems strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom