• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I thought the PVP sets were just going to be recolored PVE sets from now on?

Did they renege on that or did I just misunderstand? Did they mean the pve/pvp sets would follow the same design styles so it won't be such a drastic change between them?

th3dude

So, getting the itch to play a bit again. Haven't played since pre-MOP so my friends and guild are gone at this point. Have an 85 Pally but haven't touched in a long time.

A few questions:

1) Are there any referrals anymore for previous players to get a trial or anything or is the new system for new players only?
2) Is there a GAF guild or anyone that is looking for a noob-ish (but used to know what he was doing) player? I'm looking to roll a new character so server isn't a problem. Just looking for a group to play with and occasionally do content with. I plan on utilizing LFG and LFR but it is of course nicer to have consistent players to play with.

Thanks!

Peachpies

So, getting the itch to play a bit again. Haven't played since pre-MOP so my friends and guild are gone at this point. Have an 85 Pally but haven't touched in a long time.

A few questions:

1) Are there any referrals anymore for previous players to get a trial or anything or is the new system for new players only?
2) Is there a GAF guild or anyone that is looking for a noob-ish (but used to know what he was doing) player? I'm looking to roll a new character so server isn't a problem. Just looking for a group to play with and occasionally do content with. I plan on utilizing LFG and LFR but it is of course nicer to have consistent players to play with.

Thanks!
you can always play the free content (up to level 20) even if you have been subscribed before and stopped, the scroll of resurrection was removed though

strafer

Guess I'm done with the beta.

I've uninstalled three times.
Deleted folders.
Done the "fixes" on the offical forums
Restrting my comptuers.
updatring my flash according blizz..why?

Looks like everyone else is able to update and install again but me.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

Guess I have to go back to live again.

sigh.

sigh

sigh

g
d
f
g
hg
hgf

fsgfh

gh
j

th3dude

you can always play the free content (up to level 20) even if you have been subscribed before and stopped, the scroll of resurrection was removed though

That's a good idea. I could roll a new character up to level 20 for free, which I imagine is pretty quick these days but it would give me time to check things out again.

What about server and guild? Anyone have any suggestions? I should mention that I'm NA.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
strafer, can you post a screenshot of the error message you get?

Also, have you tried any of the following?

• Running the beta via WowT.exe, WowT-64.exe, WowTR.exe or WowTR-64.exe
  • Running as Administrator (check the box under Compatibility)
  • Running in compatibility mode for Windows XX (95 has fixed some of my problems)
  • Only deleting Config.wtf
  • Deleting every WoD beta trace in the Registry (run regedit), and then reinstalling

Peachpies

Guess I'm done with the beta.

I've uninstalled three times.
Deleted folders.
Done the "fixes" on the offical forums
Restrting my comptuers.
updatring my flash according blizz..why?

Looks like everyone else is able to update and install again but me.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

Guess I have to go back to live again.

j
You should check for any previous wow Beta/PTR (not just warlords one) stuff and uninstall and remove them. Also should try temporarily disabling anti-virus, especially if you have kaspersky.

Guess I'm back to Korda Torros camping since Burning Berserkers are too hard to kill on my fresh 90 druid, even at 496 iLvl. Hopefully it doesn't take too many kills, already have 2 or 3 racked up.

Hixx

Shadowmoon Valley is beautiful but sort of feels lifeless (there's so much phasing going on!) and not as dense as it could be. Quests are incredibly standard too. The Dark Portal intro had a nice variety of objectives/methods but so far SMV is kind of disappointing. I know it's beta and all that before anyone starts. I just hope quite a bit of work goes into it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Looking to come back to wow for WOD. Few questions:

1. Cheapest place to pickup WOD
2. Is release any time soon?
3. If there a GAF guild?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NDA or not? Cuz I really want to see Dark Portal.

Shadowmoon Valley is beautiful but sort of feels lifeless (there's so much phasing going on!) and not as dense as it could be. Quests are incredibly standard too. The Dark Portal intro had a nice variety of objectives/methods but so far SMV is kind of disappointing. I know it's beta and all that before anyone starts. I just hope quite a bit of work goes into it.

The first few quests in SMV are all right, but I can already see where the bottlenecks will appear on day one (like the goddamn helicopter bombing run for Alliance players in Mists).

iirate

Okay guys, I'm a vet with a new account, and my first max level character on it. Would someone point me in the right direction for what I should be focusing on at cap right now?

Okay guys, I'm a vet with a new account, and my first max level character on it. Would someone point me in the right direction for what I should be focusing on at cap right now?

Unfortunately the only (and very uninteresting) answer is 'fly to Timeless Isle and grind out enough 496 gear to join LFR/Flex Raids.'

Farm Lesser Charms from Isle rares and then return to the shrine for your 3 bonus roll tokens. Then return to Isle and queue up for a Celestial fight for a shot at tier gear.

From there it's about how much free time you have left. Farming Timeless Isle can take forever but with the constant availability of easy 496 and lottery tickets for 535 (Burdens) it's hard to find a faster way to get geared up if it's your first level 90 character.

If you install Oqueue you can find cross realm groups to make killing the more dangerous mobs on the Isle easier. Look up a guide on how to reach Ordon Sanctuary without the cloak and get in a group that farms the grassy area on the perimeter. Once you have enough rep/coins you can buy a weapon upgrade from the vendors on the Island and a trinket that teleports you there.

RPGCrazied

Wow at Rob Pardo leaving. Ghostcrawler, now him. And these aren't like interns, I don't know how long GC was with blizzard, I'm sure its awhile, but Rob has almost been there 20 years. Who is next to go, Chris Metzen?

Sad times.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well to be fair, Metzen would get hired by another company faster than rogues would ambush-kill mages in vanilla WoW.

Berordn

why the fuck do you want people to loose their jobs..have some respect...shit.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job, but I wouldn't be upset if Metzen decided to step down for whatever the reason.

Nobody in this hypothetical situation is getting fired, culling staff is always awful.

strafer

sure, no doubt but I get furious when someone just blurps out,, ooh I hope he gets fired... or he's next...'

How would you like it if someone just walked up to you and said;

hey you ugly fuck, i hope you get fired today..that's not fucking cool man.

I hope Metzen stays for all eternity.

sorry, im on a bad mood today..it's not working at all for me right now

Yoshichan

hey you ugly fuck, i hope you get fired today..that's not fucking cool man.
I've basically had a couple of people say this to me... ._.

Dawg

Sometimes I'm just standing in Orgrimmar.

Thinking of the good times.

Thinking of the brothers gone.

I used to know everyone on my server.

Now I don't recognize a single face ;_;

I walk away for ONE MINUTE to take a piss, and of course Korda Torros spawns early, and is immediately dead by a warlock.

Sigh.

He better give me these gloves fast. Without them the whole point to leveling the druid right now as a dual gatherer is pretty much dead.

Yoshichan

Sometimes I'm just standing in Orgrimmar.

Thinking of the good times.

Thinking of the brothers gone.

I used to know everyone on my server.

Now I don't recognize a single face ;_;
This was me in Thrall for oh-so-long.

Then I switched to Mal'Ganis.

Ooooooooooooooooooh boy.

antonz

After Death and Taxes broke up before the end of Burning Crusade I have server hopped almost every expansion since. Blackrock, Laughing Skull, Dunemaul and Kil'jaeden have all been various homes.

Laughing Skull was fun because I was Horde at that point and it was always fun coming across Leeroy Jenkins out in the wild. Have a few screenshots stored away of me enjoying life over his corpse. Really nice guy though.

Pandaria never really settled into a guild and when I got into one I was far too talented for them versus the way they wanted to treat me. Id be considered a backup Mage even though I could outdps both their other mages combined so it quickly led me to quitting until a few weeks ago. Back in unguilded but ready to go for WOD as I was a huge burning crusade fan.

I walk away for ONE MINUTE to take a piss, and of course Korda Torros spawns early, and is immediately dead by a warlock.

Sigh.

He better give me these gloves fast. Without them the whole point to leveling the druid right now as a dual gatherer is pretty much dead.

I'm kind of surprised it's harder to kill Burning Berserkers than camp a level 88 rare. Even on my crummy druid I can kite them during Burning Fury and still stay within the safe zone so I don't get charged to heal myself while dots tick. Takes forever to kill them this way but it's safer than trying to panic meld if I catch aggro on the way to Ordos.

Dawg

There's lots of junk on MG though.

I miss the old days :/ LFR / dungeon queues did kill server identity

I miss doing heroics after work (TBC) with my guild and friends. I miss running into the same people over and over on my server. I miss doing PvP and having actual rivals I'd remember.

Nowadays I'm just a member of some random social guild. Nobody knows me. Nobody really talks in the chat. Everyone is just there for the guild bonuses. I do random heroics with people who might as well be ghosts. The same ghosts I do raids with in LFR. And the same ghosts I encounter in PvP. There's no reason to talk beyond some boss instructions or the usual "ready?". I'll never see these people again anyway.

Ultratech

MMORPG.com is dying in anticipation.

Yeah...I thought about trying to get a key from that, but it looks like it's gonna be blown up.

I'm sure there will lots of chances later for a key (that and I'd rather play around with a more stable build).

I miss doing heroics after work (TBC) with my guild and friends. I miss running into the same people over and over on my server. I miss doing PvP and having actual rivals I'd remember.

Nowadays I'm just a member of some random social guild. Nobody knows me. Nobody really talks in the chat. Everyone is just there for the guild bonuses. I do random heroics with people who might as well be ghosts. The same ghosts I do raids with in LFR. And the same ghosts I encounter in PvP. There's no reason to talk beyond some boss instructions or the usual "ready?". I'll never see these people again anyway.

I know how you feel. The guild I've been in is just stagnant at this point, and I'm just in it at this point just for the bonuses.

But yeah, it sucks losing a sense of server identity, or making random friends from people you'd see over and over again.

It was super weird coming back at the end of Cata and my server being seemingly empty with little going on and not knowing anybody.

Yoshichan

There's lots of junk on MG though.

I miss the old days :/ LFR / dungeon queues did kill server identity

With popularity comes trash as well :)

Lren

MMORPG.com is dying in anticipation.

They were not prepared.
That was horrible and I apologize.

While LFG and LFR is pretty convenient, there was a sense of satisfaction of getting a bunch of people from your server to do dungeons / raids. Made a few friends that way too.

iirate

Unfortunately the only (and very uninteresting) answer is 'fly to Timeless Isle and grind out enough 496 gear to join LFR/Flex Raids.'

Farm Lesser Charms from Isle rares and then return to the shrine for your 3 bonus roll tokens. Then return to Isle and queue up for a Celestial fight for a shot at tier gear.

From there it's about how much free time you have left. Farming Timeless Isle can take forever but with the constant availability of easy 496 and lottery tickets for 535 (Burdens) it's hard to find a faster way to get geared up if it's your first level 90 character.

If you install Oqueue you can find cross realm groups to make killing the more dangerous mobs on the Isle easier. Look up a guide on how to reach Ordon Sanctuary without the cloak and get in a group that farms the grassy area on the perimeter. Once you have enough rep/coins you can buy a weapon upgrade from the vendors on the Island and a trinket that teleports you there.

That's what I was afraid of. I might just stick to getting more characters leveled for now.

Thanks.

Join a real guild then instead of one of the faceless monstrosities that exist just to bleed you for Cash Flow. Sure I have alts in some of those kinds of guilds, but that's mainly because there really isn't room in my actual raiding guild with 5 raid teams + other people's alts. Right now if you're not in a dedicated raiding or PvP guild, you're not going to have even a fraction of a real social experience.

Dawg

I know how you feel. The guild I've been in is just stagnant at this point, and I'm just in it at this point just for the bonuses.

But yeah, it sucks losing a sense of server identity, or making random friends from people you'd see over and over again.

It was super weird coming back at the end of Cata and my server being seemingly empty with little going on and not knowing anybody.

That's pretty much me. I quit the game a few months after Cata released. My guild was doing good in the raids but I had enough of the game during that period. Didn't help that cata was quite... bad. When I finally came back several months later, some people had left the guild and the 25 man raids didn't always get filled. Heck, the moment I came online... an experienced druid member and good friend of mine was in the process of leaving. About thirty minutes later, he was gone.

Apparently, some personal shit between the officers (the raid leader was the girlfriend of an officer) messed up everything. I believe they had some issues in their relation IRL and stuff like that _always_ destroys a guild. I've been in many guilds throughout the years and personal issues always destroy a guild. Sometimes it happens slowly... a couple members leave every few weeks... then some vital members leave... perhaps an officer or two... and before you know it, the guild is dead.

Few weeks later, the guild was officially dead. Remember logging in again and nobody was online. Only like 30 members left and most of them were alt accounts or inactive people. It's always sad. I like to think back of the many fun raids and the hilarious ventrilo conversations. But it always happens. Guilds always die. People that were part of your everyday life, people you used to raid with on a daily scale... they suddenly disappear and you never see them again.

To be honest, I hate it. I think that's why I'm hesitant to join a high-end guild again. I must have been in like twenty or thirty high-end guilds throughout my WoW career. Some of them weren't even that pro when I joined them. I witnessed them rise to greatness. But in the end... guilds always die. It is inevitable. It's a really sad aspect of guilds. And while most MMOs suffer from this problem, WoW is the worst example for me because my memories go back ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom