• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

moltenCorgi.jpg

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Anyone have experience trying to start a guild or run a raid guild. Proscons?
I did back in Cata. The pros are that you get to screen your own members, and in doing so, set the tone of your raid or guild. We were really laid back, but I was pretty strict on performance. It ended up paying off whenever we walked into BWD with 7 out of our 10 members being completely fresh to Cata raids and ended up taking out 3 bosses our first night, and then went over to Bastion of Twilight and one-shot Halfus.

The cons are that it can be fucking stressful. People seldom want to join your guild/team to be a backup, but at the same time, if one of your raid members fails to show up, suddenly you're scrambling around trying to find a replacement. If you do find someone, you have to deal with the fact that if they win an item, it's not actually helping the team in the long run, and if you don't find someone, you've wasted both yours and your team's time.

It can be rewarding, definitely, but it was too much for me to handle since I was in the middle of my most difficult semester of my degree and trying to work part-time as well.

Dawg

people are excited over keys they not even going to use.

Sell on ebay for fify million dollars.

It's shameless.

When the hearthstone beta/alpha was out, I randomly received a key... but I already had one.

I sold it for $300.

No shame.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It said 0 the whole time for me. :(

I'm sad the whole thing didn't work.

antonz

So stupid to release a new batch of keys on an old page. All it does is reward botters. Ebay is about to get flooded.

RPGCrazied

What the fuck. They said they would announce the giveaway on twitter, they did not, they even used the old giveaway page.

That's messed up.

Wait so they legit used the old page, didn't tweet about it, and do it the moment I walk away for five minutes?

You crazy website you.

Whatever, maybe I'll get in an upcoming wave or via some other giveaway.

Dawg

The part that makes WoW betas so desirable is that, unlike other betas, you can play it for months. No beta weekends or anything like that, it's just one long beta that only ends a few months before release.

Given the updates and the amount of content, you're essentially getting a free MMO you can play for months because you don't need an active sub. I'm actually surprised Blizzard hasn't made it so you need an active sub to play the beta. Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas though, because I'm enjoying the beta despite my account being frozen for months :p

Of course you lose all of your progress the moment the beta ends, but it's still fun to play during summer.

Peachpies

The part that makes WoW betas so desirable is that, unlike other betas, you can play it for months. No beta weekends or anything like that, it's just one long beta that only ends a few months before release.

Given the updates and the amount of content, you're essentially getting a free MMO you can play for months because you don't need an active sub. I'm actually surprised Blizzard hasn't made it so you need an active sub to play the beta. Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas though, because I'm enjoying the beta despite my account being frozen for months :p

Of course you lose all of your progress the moment the beta ends, but it's still fun to play during summer.
they probably view it as a good way to try and get back people who have canceled their subscription

Lren

Got a key from the MMORPG.com giveaway but I had too many account on my bnet. Just got off with Blizzard's customer support and am now downloading the beta!

RPGCrazied

Have any of the MMORPG admins even said anything about the keys? No Twitter announcements, etc? Seems pretty bizarre.

Don't know if this is real, but someone on mmochamp said they said:

From MMoRPG :

Hello,

We aplogize for the results of the key handout event. We did not anticipate that they traffic to our website from this event would cause the chaos that it did.

We still have been authorized to issue an additional 4,000 keys from Blizzard. The remaining keys will be given out via a random drawing sweepstakes that users will have a full 72 hours or more to enter to win. Winners of this sweepstakes will then be sent their keys in the following 48 hours.

The insane demand for these beta keys is like nothing we have ever encountered before and our webservers just could not handle the load.

vilmer_

Don't know if this is real, but someone on mmochamp said they said:

From MMoRPG :

Hello,

We aplogize for the results of the key handout event. We did not anticipate that they traffic to our website from this event would cause the chaos that it did.

We still have been authorized to issue an additional 4,000 keys from Blizzard. The remaining keys will be given out via a random drawing sweepstakes that users will have a full 72 hours or more to enter to win. Winners of this sweepstakes will then be sent their keys in the following 48 hours.

The insane demand for these beta keys is like nothing we have ever encountered before and our webservers just could not handle the load.

Looks like they will not be doing a first come first serve giveaway any time soon lol. Many people got royally shafted. They're probably not saying anything because they know it was an absolute debacle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know for coverage, but I really think Blizzard should just stick to handing them out to active accounts themselves. Maybe even base it off how active your raiding(any difficulty)/arena(any ranking -- I would say BGs too, but that's bot central) time is since there's less bots that way. Less bots that way.

antonz

If they had done it on a new page it wouldn't have been so bad. Lot of people deliberately setup bots on the old page just in case. I mean hell MMO-Champion mods are openly bragging about the fact their bots were successful.

Someone posted it was up and I clicked immediately and by the time page loaded said 0 keys. And I was only stuck loading 20 seconds max.

Rokam

No Raiding with Leashes Part 3 till a post WoD patch. Lame!
But understandable as it's something to do when there's nothing else to do.

Killed around 30+ Burning Berserkers. No sign of Forager's Gloves, but to rub it in, I got BoE world drop epic cloth gloves, which are you know, worth a Sha Crystal.

Anyway besides that, I've made around 60k gold this week so far, though I've run through nearly all my stock. Part of that was burning up a bunch of Imperial Silk on bags/leg enchants though which is an extra boost to my normal income. Still pretty good though.

Fjordson

Shit, Pardo is gone? I didn't even see the story until just now. Sad times.

At least we have Tigole and Furor back on WoW (I think?).

ampere

I kinda want a beta key, but at the same time I kinda want to chill out a bit on following WoD news. So much iteration it gets exhausting to follow sometimes.

Maybe I'll focus on trying to get a realm best CM time. I'd really like that Mistwalker title.

antonz

DO we know if old Burning crusade content is going to vanish with WOD or will it be around due to the alternate reality thing

Fjordson

Furor is back. I think Tigole is still locked in the Titan dungeon.
I thought I remember reading that he was coming back to work on WoW in some capacity. Since they scaled down the Titan team and I know he was promoted to vice president of Blizzard last year (and "game director"). Might be overseeing all of their projects or something.

Dicer

Banned
Fuck the way they are handling beta, let veteran players in before botters and scammers please.

Also, screw the Corgi, you heard me....

iirate

When the hearthstone beta/alpha was out, I randomly received a key... but I already had one.

I sold it for $300.

No shame.

I got TWO keys during the second wave of the Hearthstone beta(so 2 or 3 days after open beta started). I didn't check prices, and I assumed that the keys would be common since I got multiples so early. I used one for myself, and gave the other to a friend, then found out they were selling for close to a grand each.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since I'm always capping on honor due to having prideful gear, I think Blizzard should employ a 'timeless' style for Honor gear and make it BoA. So I can buy honor sets for my alts instead of having to regrind 5 mans and convert justice to honor

strafer

Yay, I still can't install that piece of shit beta again.

EDIT: Scratch that..it's working now.

I'm downloading the US version.

And I tried that last night too,maybe the servers were hammered.

Also..how will this work, can I use US when I'm EU? Will Blizz ban me?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Realistically speaking, if I'm attempting to make Hand of Rag, and I don't want to buy the hammer and just get the mats, but I don't BS/mine, how much of a pain am I looking into? I don't mind the grind, but I'm not sure how to get Dark Iron Bars unless I can buy them? Would hate to find someone and make them craft all those.

Hixx

Yay, I still can't install that piece of shit beta again.

EDIT: Scratch that..it's working now.

I'm downloading the US version.

And I tried that last night too,maybe the servers were hammered.

Also..how will this work, can I use US when I'm EU? Will Blizz ban me?

Fairly sure you can just go into config.wtf (or whatever it's called) and change every reference of "enUS" to your regions code (so I just changed mine to "enGB" for example), it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom