• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Yea man... Nice that we can mail stuff cross realm, but it's still such a mess. I have an alt with a bank stuffed full of heirlooms.

The toybox will be a nice preview of the heirloom and tabard tabs.
Yeah, I need to clear out one of my alts I'm not using and just make him my dedicated heirloom storage but I never do, too lazy. I just spent like five minutes trying to find a trinket :lol

What are the requirements for the new models and that stuff as far as specs go? I run a pretty solid 50-60 with everything on high not interested in compromising quality and frame rate.
The new models really don't seem to impact performance for me. The game runs as if I was playing the live servers right now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Rösti;119773646 said:
I miss the old system, why can't we have both the old and the new?

warriortalentsk7khn.png

The best build I believe featured some points in Protection, but I used to roll as the above.

Because the new system is the old one.

As many points as you varied between builds, we have that option now, sometimes more.

To be a spec you pretty much had to go down the line a certain way and then choose your optionals anyway, so now we just skip that first step.

People have a hard time getting their minds around how that works for some reason.

Kaper

Because the new system is the old one.

As many points as you varied between builds, we have that option now, sometimes more.

To be a spec you pretty much had to go down the line a certain way and then choose your optionals anyway, so now we just skip that first step.

People have a hard time getting their minds around how that works for some reason.

I think the problem is that the old system felt more transparent and like you were actually getting stronger. (i.e. you had to manually select talents so you knew exactly what you had). Even though the new system is the old one, streamlined, it loses that feeling of control.

In the old system as you leveled you slowly built up power exactly as you saw fit.

The new one just thrusts new effects/abilities in your face.

Edit: To add to this: I still prefer having to train skills. It was always great to look at your trainer and know you were getting a new shadowbolt in 3 levels, and then to buy it was like its own little accomplishment.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think the problem is that the old system felt more transparent and like you were actually getting stronger. (i.e. you had to manually select talents so you knew exactly what you had). Even though the new system is the old one, streamlined, it loses that feeling of control.

In the old system as you leveled you slowly built up power exactly as you saw fit.

The new one just thrusts new effects/abilities in your face.

Edit: To add to this: I still prefer having to train skills. It was always great to look at your trainer and know you were getting a new shadowbolt in 3 levels, and then to buy it was like its own little accomplishment.

I get it I guess, but that's just a dumb psychological trigger that people need to get over. You start out with 71 points, and after you select your spec, you have 6-7 points left over and you get to do boring stuff like make an ability slightly stronger or have less of a cooldown.

Talent/spec system now is way better, people just don't like it because they like clicking 50 buttons and getting their stats up.

Pre

The stat squish isn't as aggressive as I anticipated.

Anyway, I anticipate that WoD will be the last expansion I play, and I'm only going to play it because I'm irrationally hoping that it'll be anywhere near as good as BC was since it's the same planet. I've lost interest in WoW as it's been dumbed down over the years. The game has ultimately fallen victim to Everquest syndrome -- the game is so totally focused on end-game content that Blizzard has neutered everything in between a new character and a raid-ready character. The focus is on the raiding, so the goal of Blizzard's design choices is to get people to maximum level as quickly as possible so they can raid. It gets worse with each expansion.

Honestly, I think the beginning of the downfall of WoW was the introduction of the Dungeon Finder tool. It's awfully convienient, yes, but it is what started the game down the path toward a dead community.

kch

The stat squish isn't as aggressive as I anticipated.

I think it's fine. They kept the high healthpools due to PvP if I understod it right. So people simply cant burst you down in seconds. Everything else is squished quite a bit. Items from lv 100 dungeons seem to have around 70-80 stat boosts? Like +78 INT etc.

I agree that dungeon Finder was the beginning of the end though. It seems like they got the right idea with WoD so I'm gonna give it a chance. Never played MoP so currently leveling up some chars from 85..must say MoP has been alright this far..the setting is nice and awesome music.

Anyway, regarding WoD, I think it's great how they are removing and merging some abilities. Trying to get back to the game now it's sort of ridiculous the amount of skills the classes have. There's no way to fit them all on keybinds. I guess one of those MMO addons to the keyboard is required. Yeh..no thanks. So that plus item squish will be great changes coming IMO.

Peachpies

I think it's fine. They kept the high healthpools due to PvP if I understod it right. So people simply cant burst you down in seconds. Everything else is squished quite a bit. Items from lv 100 dungeons seem to have around 70-80 stat boosts? Like +78 INT etc.
it is closer to 150+ at level 100, at level 90 it is closer to 70 with except for stamina which is twice as much epics here is a comparison between the same set of items on live and on beta at level 90

kch

it is closer to 150+ at level 100, at level 90 it is closer to 70 with except for stamina which is twice as much epics here is a comparison between the same set of items on live and on beta at level 90

Ah okay. Yeh wish it was maybe a bit more but still it's a much needed and acceptable squish.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think they're going to give free appearance changes to all the 90s. I know they said they likely woudn't, but there's a lot of female humans and gnomes that aren't happy with how their face is translating to beta. And even when they put in the adjustments, I still don't think it'll be enough.

Rösti;119773646 said:
I miss the old system, why can't we have both the old and the new?

warriortalentsk7khn.png

The best build I believe featured some points in Protection, but I used to roll as the above.

I miss the old builds, I returned after years away a few months ago and was so confused by how over simplified everything was. It was odd.

witness

So I got my monk to northrend, hit 70 and I was completely burnt out on him. As much as I love the northrend content, I've done it so many times now. I also got burnt out of my warlock. I don't think there's any chance if him being my WoD main.

So I went back and pretty much spent all my weekend time playing on my shaman. Started at 86 Saturday and now I'm 88. I've been switching back and forth between ele and enhance, and it's a lot of fun. Sucks having to get two sets of gear, but that's ok because it's pretty easy to build up two sets through questing. Elemental is a lot of fun in dungeons just chain lightning going off with echo of the elements. There's so much spectacle to it all. He will absolutely hit 90 this week, and then I will faction change him to an Orc because I just love the new Orc models and I want a max level horde character. I also got a brawlers guild invitation from a rare, which I've never gotten so I'm excited to see what that's like.

I did a heroic scenario for the first time last night on my hunter. I felt bad for this poor paladin who died like 4 times while the warlock and myself just had our pets tanking. Anyway, I did get an upgrade out of it with new shoulders.

At this point I can safely say, I probably won't level up another character to 90 after my shaman. I've just done the content too many times. So right now I'm favoring my hunter and shaman as my WoD main, with my DK still being considered but not likely.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
lol, I can't enter that because my sub isn't active so I can't log in to verify my character on wowhead.

th3dude

Subbed for the first time in 2 years this weekend. Decided to start a fresh character on a new server. Started a Hunter (previously my main was a Protection Paladin) and so far having a good time.

It is a little tough moving around so slowly without mounts. And I really was getting frustrated with the pace but was looking forward to level 15 so I could queue in the Dungeon Finder. As soon as I hit 15, I queued and an hour later was up to level 19 by staying with the same group and running dungeons. So much fun!

Can't wait to get leveled up. It's tempting to pre-order WOD and get the 90 boost, but I'd like to level at least one character all the way first. Maybe later I'll use the boost and get a second one up to 90 for before the expansion comes out.

lazygecko

Leveling up has been ridiculously fast since Cataclysm. Even if you just ignore dungeons and go for pure questing, you'll still end up outleveling the zone you're in before you've finished all the important quests.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope we revisit AQ style raids some day again. With the whole Egyptian Old God theme. I know they were supposed to do something with Deepholm, but I just love some of the weapons from AQ. They're incredibly unique compared to the Orc, Undead, Dwarf stuff we've seen.

Kalimdor's Revenge needs an update.

Okay, so since complaining on here about Garnia, she just dropped the pet.

I should have bitched about it sooner. :p I hope the luck rubs off on you too, Ronin!

Did they remove seed of corruption? Because Cataclysm does what seed used to if you soulburned it. Also, Cataclysm still looks like a boss ability on the ground, a problem with the original incarnation of the ability. It absolutely will get melee killed if actually dangerous stuff is on the ground and you can't see it because a lock has covered the ground in fire that doesn't burn you.

Hunters are getting Crippling poison on their auto-shot...that doesn't seem very fair.

Salamando

Did they remove seed of corruption? Because Cataclysm does what seed used to if you soulburned it. Also, Cataclysm still looks like a boss ability on the ground, a problem with the original incarnation of the ability. It absolutely will get melee killed if actually dangerous stuff is on the ground and you can't see it because a lock has covered the ground in fire that doesn't burn you.

Hunters are getting Crippling poison on their auto-shot...that doesn't seem very fair.

Aren't they doing a thing where other players spells aren't as visible than your own? Meaning, melee wouldn't even see the ground fire from this?

I remember them talking about it at some point, but I cannot remember if its something they actually implmenented yet.

Aren't they doing a thing where other players spells aren't as visible than your own? Meaning, melee wouldn't even see the ground fire from this?

I remember them talking about it at some point, but I cannot remember if its something they actually implmenented yet.

There are 'raid graphics settings' to turn down friendly spell effects in a raid setting.
I don't know if the settings apply in 5-mans.

Dinjooh

After playing WoW for almost 10 years I finally bothered to set myself up with Auctioneer, TradeSkillMaster and The Undermine Journal. Why didn't I do this earlier?

Dat steady cashflow.

Anybody ever pay for premium forum membership at Stormspire.net?

Considering doing it sometime for a bit, especially around when WoD releases, there might be some farming/shuffle/etc. info that's not easily picked up on.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No beta key from Wowhead either. But there's the giveaway from mmorpg.com tomorrow, maybe I can get a key from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom