• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

So I went to the Timeless Isle for the first timelast night and... died.

A lot.

I also managed to sneak around and loot mossy chests (that contained epics?). Then I killed a few rare mobs.

What's the actual deal here though? I take it some of this stuff is group work because some of these baddies almost 2 shot me.
If you're not geared then it can be tough at first. Almost every mob hits fairly hard.

Unless you mean you died to other players using the censer (item that flags you for PvP against your own faction). That's always there regardless of gear :lol

Magnus

Folks, after nearly a decade of playing the game (casual mostly for the last 4 years) and only occasionally dabbling in PvP (Arathi Basin back in Vanilla, Alterac Valley for a bit, and like, 10 Arena matches ever), I want to really give PvP a go on some of my characters. It feels like a whole half of the game I haven't even embraced.

Where the hell do I start? Is there a good primer to how PvP works in the game today?

My knowledge is definitely outdated. Last I knew, there was Resilience on gear which I think nerfed damage all around so that players wouldn't one-shot each other, but now there's PvP Power?

If I had to boil down all of my concerns to one question, it would be: What should be my first steps if I'm coming into this purely with PvE-oriented gear?

(and as a Priest, which of the specs is currently the most fun and useful in PvP? I'm more or less comfortable with all three, but am best-geared for Shadow)

Fucking dope! Love that...staff?

Thanks! Indeed - The Apostle of Argus. I fell in love with it way back in Tier 5 and haven't stopped loving.

The 3D model on Armory and Wowhead is a bit borked for it - ignore the way it kind of repeatedly cycles through a quarter-turn. The staff actually just rotates slowly, fully 360, beautifully.

There's a red variant in one of the Tier 5 PVP weapons (not sure which season that is), but I know that it became unavailable for awhile. Gladiator's War Baton or War Staff or something like that. I always wanted to get it purely for XMog purposes with red/purple/orange-oriented outfits.

I really wish XMog would permit color dyes and changes like that to armor, but it'll never happen since color differences make the variety of armor quadruple, and are one of the primary ways Blizzard categorizes tiers, hahaha.

Fjordson

Thanks! Indeed - The Apostle of Argus. I fell in love with it way back in Tier 5 and haven't stopped loving.

The 3D model on Armory and Wowhead is a bit borked for it - ignore the way it kind of repeatedly cycles through a quarter-turn. The staff actually just rotates slowly, fully 360, beautifully.

There's a red variant in one of the Tier 5 PVP weapons (not sure which season that is), but I know that it became unavailable for awhile. Gladiator's War Baton or War Staff or something like that. I always wanted to get it purely for XMog purposes with red/purple/orange-oriented outfits.

I really wish XMog would permit color dyes and changes like that to armor, but it'll never happen since color differences make the variety of armor quadruple, and are one of the primary ways Blizzard categorizes tiers, hahaha.
That's awesome. Actually not sure if I've ever seen that staff before on my server.

Magnus

That's awesome. Actually not sure if I've ever seen that staff before on my server.

Dropped off Archimonde. As a WC3 fan, he was always one of my favourites, too. And man was that fight ever fun and brutal. Loved raiding right around then. BC was so intense.

When I switched mains, I made it my mission to get the staff again. I went on so many Hyjal runs hoping it would drop, and whenever it did, I would offer to buy it off whoever won the roll. I was rejected once or twice, but someone conceded for 1k gold. Was worth it to me, lol

q4qA7xm.png

Thank god I got this today. This dungeon always took way too long to get to and then you have to run through it entirely to get to the end of it, ugh. But that's in the past now!

On one hand, fucking congrats, man. on the other, go fuck yourself. lol I'm at almost 400 kills. It's driving me nuts. lol

Folks, after nearly a decade of playing the game (casual mostly for the last 4 years) and only occasionally dabbling in PvP (Arathi Basin back in Vanilla, Alterac Valley for a bit, and like, 10 Arena matches ever), I want to really give PvP a go on some of my characters. It feels like a whole half of the game I haven't even embraced.

Where the hell do I start? Is there a good primer to how PvP works in the game today?

My knowledge is definitely outdated. Last I knew, there was Resilience on gear which I think nerfed damage all around so that players wouldn't one-shot each other, but now there's PvP Power?

If I had to boil down all of my concerns to one question, it would be: What should be my first steps if I'm coming into this purely with PvE-oriented gear?

(and as a Priest, which of the specs is currently the most fun and useful in PvP? I'm more or less comfortable with all three, but am best-geared for Shadow)

There's a read one, isn't there?

Magnus

Here's a XMog I was using for awhile - the asian-influenced MoP hat went so nicely with this Sunwell healer cloth set:

There's a read one, isn't there?

:p

ampere

My old account is inactive, and I'm starting fresh on a new one. I haven't finished the transmog for any of my new characters yet, but here's the armory cap of my old shaman:

3daQodF.png

I'm almost done with my new monk's set, so I'll be sure to post it soon.

Those looks like the Pauldrons of Bursting Mana. Man. I remember having those on my Shaman in BC before I quit playing. Good memories.

On one hand, fucking congrats, man. on the other, go fuck yourself. lol I'm at almost 400 kills. It's driving me nuts. lol

Before mounts got unified, I got the deathcharger twice. One took 3 tries on my NE druid, the other took 30 on my DK.

This was back in Wrath when it was almost a challenge on my druid, and a cakewalk on my DK (seriously, soloing old content as a DK was hilariously easy).

I've since gotten my Phoenix mount too, it's so gaudy I hardly use it though. Still need my onyxian drake.

Tacitus_

Since we're posting mogs, here's mine.
I've also got my warrior wearing the pvp armor that the kor'kron dudes wear (last cata pvp tier) since warrior tier is so fugly. Oh and for his tanking set I'm just missing one piece from the paladin set so I can look like a goblin paladin.

Magnus

Suddenly having so many alts to play with is throwing me for a loop. I literally log in sometimes, and, if I don't want to get things done on my main (like the continuing legendary cloak questline), I just stare at my alts and go, "what do I do".

What's a blast to play these days? I almost don't care about how they rank competitively in PvE; I've always believed skill can eclipse the small variances in target dummy ratings, which seem to change all the time anyway from patch to patch.

Here's my current list:

90 Priest
90 Mage
90 Paladin
90 Warlock

Shaman and Warrior are close to cap. And I have Hunter, Druid and Death Knight in the BC/WOTLK zone.

Rest are lower. I'll boost one of them.

Death Knights have always intrigued me, and I dig being a strong solo-er. (Warlocks the same, which is I why I just boosted one, also out of the desire to have a capped pet class, since I dig pets so much).

Tacitus_

I'm biased, but warlocks are awesome. Destruction has a nice rotation and you get Big numbers when you get chaos bolts off with +dmg buffs.

lazygecko

I have never actually played a warlock beyond level 6. Last time I tried, I died during the imp quest.

Pet classes just aren't my thing. Ironically I wouldn't mind enhancement shamans having permanent feral spirit wolves.

Magnus

I'm biased, but warlocks are awesome. Destruction has a nice rotation and you get Big numbers when you get chaos bolts off with +dmg buffs.

I went with Destro as soon as I boosted the lock.

I dig it, but it feels so much like a fire mage to me. The class homogenization feels strong here, in other words. Though I suppose having the pet changes things up a bit. It's super nice to be able to solo stuff with a Void Lord taking the brunt, and not having to jump around like I do on my mage. Pew pew from afar.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Enhancement Shaman are fun to level but not to play at end-game.
Elemental Shaman are incredibly dull to play, as someone who plays one pretty regularly. The good thing is that they're incredibly useful.

I don't think any of the classes currently are any more fun to play at end game, tbh.

Magnus

Elemental Shaman are incredibly dull to play, as someone who plays one pretty regularly. The good thing is that they're incredibly useful.

I don't think any of the classes currently are any more fun to play at end game, tbh.

What's the healing situation like these days?

I find playing a Holy Priest (and to some extent a Disc Priest) super satisfying for healing. I love all the tools I have to play with.

I just hate how mana-inefficient it feels.

I have all the healing classes (save for Monk) at cap or close to it. Which one rocks these days, and/or is poised to rock in 6.0?

I leveled mine towards the end of Cata but I have the complete opposite feelings for enhance. I didn't enjoy leveling mine all that much. It got much better around level 65 or whenever you could put three points into Maelstrom Weapon (which with the talent changes you now get around that same level?) but even then it wasn't until I was max level that I really felt like I came into power and really started enjoying what enhance can do.

RPGCrazied

Here is my hunter, just need the shoulders to complete it. Yes its a shaman set. :p So I look pretty unique in it, not many hunters with it.

Wo_WScrn_Shot_110913_083026.jpg

scoobs

Hate to do this to you but I've got to. I got it after about 10 runs, then it dropped again when i was leveling another alt... i won it and deleted it because I already had it. Sorry.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When's WoW going to add a new ranged dps class instead of melee dps/tank/heals? I want my Necromancer.

And not locks. I want something more 'hordes of pets' based, expendable units like the Witch Doctor in Diablo 3's kamikaze guys. I can't stand playing melee dps anymore, so DK is out of the question.

Hate to do this to you but I've got to. I got it after about 10 runs, then it dropped again when i was leveling another alt... i won it and deleted it because I already had it. Sorry.

I've had Onyxia drop twice in around ten runs. The second time was when I went with RPGCrazied I believe it was after helping him get the Twilight Drake and just offering if he wanted help with a quick Onyxia kill.

And I had Flametalon of Alysrazor drop twice in around 15 runs. The second time was running with...someone here. I can't recall. We were trying to finish the Alysrazor achievement for the meta and while I gave bad advice requiring a second week to finish it he did get Flametalon so it turned out to be a good run.

I've had four Azure Drakes from Malygos now. Still no Blue Drake. That's been around 45 kills or something.

iirate

Those looks like the Pauldrons of Bursting Mana. Man. I remember having those on my Shaman in BC before I quit playing. Good memories.

Surging Mana ;)

I had them when BC first came out as well and liked them enough to make an entire set around them.

scoobs

I'm still trying to get Rag mount, ulduar yogg mount, and Invincible .... every week and no mount for months :-( hate these long stretches, but its gonna make the first lucky drop seem even sweeter

Fjordson

I've had Onyxia drop twice in around ten runs. The second time was when I went with RPGCrazied I believe it was after helping him get the Twilight Drake and just offering if he wanted help with a quick Onyxia kill.

And I had Flametalon of Alysrazor drop twice in around 15 runs. The second time was running with...someone here. I can't recall. We were trying to finish the Alysrazor achievement for the meta and while I gave bad advice requiring a second week to finish it he did get Flametalon so it turned out to be a good run.

I've had four Azure Drakes from Malygos now. Still no Blue Drake. That's been around 45 kills or something.
Two Alysrazor mounts in 15 kills?? That's awesome. I haven't seen one yet, but I'm only up to about 29 kills. Luckily I can solo her on two characters so hopefully it'll drop sometime before WoD. And getting in there and killing her only takes like 3-4 minutes so it's not too bad.

Magnus

Melee/tanking is brutal to wrap my head around in WoW, even after years of trying it and levelling alts.

It's all to do with the hit boxes. Due to the fact that there's no real hit detection per se, and that in melee you can float in and out of enemies, I always feel a bit lost trying to position myself, etc. In raids or even in 5-mans, forget it - you're right in the middle of the chaos and can't make out anything.

I think that's why I've always gravitated toward ranged and healing. I can far more easily visualize and participate in what's happening because I can see myself and where my healing and projectiles/spells are going.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

On the topic of mounts, I really do feel happy and content with my Ashes. I told myself (and others) that I'd die happy in WoW if I landed that mount, and lo and behold, I'm happy. I definitely go "ooh" at new mounts that show up, especially that crazy-ass new one with two heads and rockets attached to its wings, haha, but man do I ever love my Phoenix. The gorgeous neon trails sell it.

Two Alysrazor mounts in 15 kills?? That's awesome. I haven't seen one yet, but I'm only up to about 29 kills. Luckily I can solo her on two characters so hopefully it'll drop sometime before WoD. And getting in there and killing her only takes like 3-4 minutes so it's not too bad.

And really it was roughly two back-to-back kills. Same with the Onyxia. I didn't really go back in after I got my mounts on both. I think Alysrazor I may have helped one or two other people with a kill following the point when I got my mount.

Alysrazor isn't too bad but the time it takes to get to the raid, run through without triggering mobs, clearing the field in front of Alysrazor (which I died to frequently when I first did the runs at a lower ilvl) and then the actual fight with Alysrazor? You're spending 10+ minutes. It's not the worst one by far but it's still an annoyance. And at lower ilvls with possible deaths on the pull in front and not being able to kill Alysrazor in a single flight phase and having to live through the transition? It was much worse.

Sounds like the bit people have talked about in here with WoD that doing pre-MoP raids will be an absolute breeze. I'm really looking forward to that. I'll start working on Ulduar and ICC for Mimiron and Invincible. And perhaps some others.

Edit:
Melee/tanking is brutal to wrap my head around in WoW, even after years of trying it and levelling alts.

It's all to do with the hit boxes. Due to the fact that there's no real hit detection per se, and that in melee you can float in and out of enemies, I always feel a bit lost trying to position myself, etc. In raids or even in 5-mans, forget it - you're right in the middle of the chaos and can't make out anything.

I think that's why I've always gravitated toward ranged and healing. I can far more easily visualize and participate in what's happening because I can see myself and where my healing and projectiles/spells are going.

I tanked from BC to some very early stuff in Cata as a paladin and I understand a bit what you're talking about. There were definitely some large bosses that were stressful because I couldn't see shit and just had to go by intuition that I had things faced correctly. And I recall there was a patch somewhere in that period that fixed mob movement because early on mobs had a habit of shifting forward and would then angle themselves oddly so you'd walk backwards to get them facing you but once you stopped they could jiggle and suddenly one enemy in a pack twists a bit and is facing an odd direction. I hated that.

But as a tank the enemies are right on you so there's not a whole lot of concern in terms of ranging. I've been enhance shaman since Cata to now and range can certainly be something to be careful about. I try to stay as far back as my abilities allow so I keep my eye on the abilities to make sure they're lit up properly and going on cooldown instead of me just mashing the button and assuming I used the ability. It's mostly a juggling act between looking at the fight, looking at my abilities, and keeping an eye on health bars to see if there's an area I could possibly help or if there's a healing/defensive cooldown I could use to make things smoother.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Currently after Mimmiron's Head, Vicious Skeletal Horse, and Juggernaut. Supposedly getting my Juggernaut this week, not really THAT into it, but I want to get it while it's current.

Milennia

This week sucked lol, 2 of our 4 buyers didn't show, but we got a decent deposit so meh.

This obviously made it a parse week up until garrosh, it also meant shit rng week woot.
At least i got every item that was changed on my bis list recently in a single week after not getting any drops for about a month, the hwf neck from noru and the hwf wand from spoils (have every hwf weapon in the instance now lol)

Magnus

I miss the challenge of raiding so much, but just can't guarantee I'd make a 3x/week raiding schedule anymore. Life's just gotten too unpredictable/busy.

I'm hoping the advent of Flex across most difficulties means that a raiding guild could still take on semi-casuals like me whenever I happen to be free on their raid nights? Like, going from 12 to 13 people should scale everything up appropriately, si?

Tamanon

Banned
It feels like Gaze of the Black Prince is actually working better now. I remember when it first came out, I would still get lowish sigil drops, but now it's almost every boss.

antonz

It feels like Gaze of the Black Prince is actually working better now. I remember when it first came out, I would still get lowish sigil drops, but now it's almost every boss.

I think they stealth buffed drops in general before the gaze. People talk about how they would get 2-3 a week on secrets and such. I managed 9 my first week. Week 2 with the buff managed 10. sucks to end 1 short.

I think they stealth buffed drops in general before the gaze. People talk about how they would get 2-3 a week on secrets and such. I managed 9 my first week. Week 2 with the buff managed 10. sucks to end 1 short.

Lies, I got 3 drops last lockout from all the bosses that can drop them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Frostfire Ridge as Alliance, doing some quests.

frostfireridge1j7kl6.png

frostfireridge5k2j1j.png

frostfireridge4fcj2c.png

frostfireridge3cmj7k.png

frostfireridge2uhkqx.png

frostfireridge6ips8e.png

I also did some exploration in Highmaul (the area, not the raid). Will be up later today (EU time).

:(

So did like 4 hours of PVP today just trying to get the two wins for the fucking cloak. Think I'm about done. No one listens, no one wants to do shit, and people are afraid of fighting in fucking PVP. I don't know why in the FUCK Blizzard added pvp to a pve quest. This is absolute bullshit. If I can't get it in the next day or two I'm just going to unsub until the expansion. Getting the cloak is the only reason I'm still logging in.

And Wibble, that was me you helped. Thanks! lol

Got stuck at heroic Iron Juggernaut again with the guild I've raided the last 2 weeks with. We just don't have the heals for it. 2 of the healers don't have their legendary cape and one of them has a flex weapon. Was a good run for me though winning the staff from heroic Sha of Pride with a bonus roll and also won a ring from heroic Galakras.

JCizzle

On the topic of mounts, I really do feel happy and content with my Ashes. I told myself (and others) that I'd die happy in WoW if I landed that mount, and lo and behold, I'm happy. I definitely go "ooh" at new mounts that show up, especially that crazy-ass new one with two heads and rockets attached to its wings, haha, but man do I ever love my Phoenix. The gorgeous neon trails sell it.

Ha, I'm the opposite. I play a enhance shaman, with rogue, warrior and paladin alts haha. I just dislike DOT snapshotting, which seems to impact most ranged classes. Not a fan of hunter since they're the most played class by far.

Magnus

I killed 5 rares last night on the Isle of Thunder in pursuit of a Sealed Tome for my fresh Warlock. It took like 2 fucking hours just for those.

I need to install some kind of tracker or npcscan eh? Because I imagine I'll have to kill many more before I see that thing drop.

And I don't fancy spending 7k. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom