• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leveling Leatherworking by skinning all your own stuff:

The struggle is real.

And I wouldn't bother generally but I'm doing it on a character stranded on a dead server. Really need to transfer him.

Magnus

At least Mining offers a gold-sink shortcut by letting you Smelt some or most of the way.

Alas, not so for Herbalism or Skinning. :(

Peachpies

If i bought that and went horde for some reason, would i retain it? thats my only question as of now, because i certainly intend on buying it.
the mount is account wide so you could use it on any alliance character you have even if the one you bought it on originally changed to horde

First time I try logging into the beta since the character wipe and nothing is showing up as an available character copy.

What.

nvm an hour later it starts working again.

I'm going to resub for WoD. I didn't play MoP other than getting to max level. Should I resub before WoD to do anything? Or will it be fine just to jump into WoD?

I can't decide if I should stay resto shaman or try Shadow Priest. I've literally never DPSed in a raid in my life and I don't want to completely suck and bring a guild down :( I'm a good healer. Only ever played Shaman
I'm in the same boat. I love my Enh Shaman and Disc Priest but might go Resto/Shadow this xpac. Though I can't decide on a main. I love healing in PvE and never really DPS'd much in Raids, my Shammy was almost a dedicated PvP toon but I want to switch styles for both.

I also haven't played in MoP other than to cap levels and professions. I am trying to level a Warrior and Warlock but just can't bring myself through the grind. Warrior is fun but neither he nor the Lock are as fun to play for me as my Priest or Shaman.

Decisions :(

Hate to break it to you, but I'm in beta on my Shaman, and it's not that much better.
Jesus. I may not continue this guy, then. It tells you something about the devs when you have, technically, a bazillion "burst" cooldowns to manage, Nerf, buff and remove constantly that they cannot get the class in any kind of order.

Spirit Wolves
Stormlash
Fire Else
Ascendance
Bloodlust
Storm Ele
Etc.

There's a lot of fluff that can be removed here. Too many buttons that do a little really diminish the feeling that they do something impactful to turn the tides. Why any of these? Why not just 1 or 2 burst style CDs. Why so many? What is their purpose?

I love my melee but want an alternative.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Jesus. I may not continue this guy, then. It tells you something about the devs when you have, technically, a bazillion "burst" cooldowns to manage, Nerf, buff and remove constantly that they cannot get the class in any kind of order.

Spirit Wolves
Stormlash
Fire Else
Ascendance
Bloodlust
Storm Ele
Etc.

There's a lot of fluff that can be removed here. Too many buttons that do a little really diminish the feeling that they do something impactful to turn the tides. Why any of these? Why not just 1 or 2 burst style CDs. Why so many? What is their purpose?

I love my melee but want an alternative.

Stormlash is being removed at least.

aka_bueno

Haha. reading your guy's responses and non-responses about (Enhance) Shaman totally tells me I picked the wrong class. Dat ability bloat!

I thought I read that quite a few abilities are getting pruned though, and/or some stuff like specific totems tied to other specs?

Will try DK soon then and compare.

Stormlash is being removed at least.
Welp. With the emphasis on greater sustained and less burst in WoD I expected everyone to be left with one or two alternating cooldown burst cooldowns but I guess that's not the case.

I do loathe action bars, tho. Amazing and awesome abilities should have greater impact and higher error cost. I suppose most abilities are "Meh" just because of too much CC. You need to feel like you lost something ahen CCd but that something wasn't too great to lose to begin with because you have 56 more buttons to push.

Ultratech

Leveling Leatherworking by skinning all your own stuff:

The struggle is real.

And I wouldn't bother generally but I'm doing it on a character stranded on a dead server. Really need to transfer him.

Yeah...it's terrible.

It gets easier in some spots, but downright horrible in others.
At least once you hit Wrath levels, you can find some pretty good spots for farming leather.

Doing the Vanilla leatherworking stuff SUCKS since you need a crapton of leather to level it up.
200-300 in particular is very shitty since you need about a good 400+ each of Thick and Rugged Leather just to level up the skill.

After not having friends for years on wow I finally got one to resub, he max level was 80 before he quit. We just rerolled on some random realm Emerald Dream has horde. Leveing togetherr just to 7 was more fun than solo playing for the past few years lol.

aka_bueno

After not having friends for years on wow I finally got one to resub, he max level was 80 before he quit. We just rerolled on some random realm Emerald Dream has horde. Leveing togetherr just to 7 was more fun than solo playing for the past few years lol.

Same for me and a buddy just a few days ago, having a blast. With Recruit a Friend, we're leveling at a crazy rate so that helps too. Doing random dungeons, the leveling rate is insane.

I'm on Vashj (Horde) just sayin' if you want to play with me and my buddy. We're in the 50's as of last night, so it's not like we're max levels either.

So I dropped herbalism this morning, picked up skinning - leveled that to 600 + got nearly all the mats for leatherworking along the way (picked up a little on the AH with the meager gold I have on this server), dropped skinning, and leveled leatherworking to 600.

Oh and because skinning/leatherworking were the last professions I hadn't maxed, I snagged the Master of All achievement.

It took at least an hour of just crafting stuff to go from 0 -> 600 LW.

Would not recommend doing a marathon like that after finishing it all. LW might be the worst profession to level (certainly top 3). Though at the very least it was a different goal to accomplish today rather than just mindlessly grinding gold. Did learn some neat tricks for rapidly acquiring various leathers with skinning that I might put to use in the future.

Hopefully it pays off in Warlords since even if I transfer this guy sooner rather than later, the current LW commodity goods are gated by spirits of harmony, unlike every other profession. Besides perhaps acquiring them via the farm, I'm not grinding spirits on an undergeared character.

Sorry if that got a bit blabby but I'm kind of exhausted now.

uzit88

Any ideas if/when we getting to content like pre expansion patch ? i am itchy to go back, been on a break for a good few months!

Magnus

Sank 5k to grind out Tailoring fast. Already made most of it back selling the byproducts and all the crazy extra amounts of cloth that are dropping for the warlock now. Destro + Cloth Scavenging + Potion of Luck = Farming Heaven.

About to sink cash again into 1-600 Inscription and Mining (the last two primary profs I ever foresee myself doing) for the lock and the warrior.

Everything I've ever heard about Inscription suggests it's a) cheaper to level than others, and b) that you actually make it back and begin profiting since you can sell glyphs for much more than the 1-600 byproducts of other profs.

My only hesitation is that my main and my main alt will then have 4 production profs between them and no gathering profs. Burns me up as I do things on them and keep flying right by ripe mining nodes, etc.

Main: Alch, Ench
Alt: Tailoring, Inscription (maybe)
Alt 2: JC, Mining

OFC after my whole ordeal today I sell a transmog piece on my dead server with the LW guy for 5k while I napped.

At least I'm not straight out of cash there anymore.

Where's the list of awesome tmog greens? Fuck. For all I know, I DE'd one. Lol

First:

TradeSkillMaster (TSM). Addon modules + App. Learn it. Use it. Love it. Some tutorial vids that should help.

Second:

Phat Lewt's Transmog List. Import that into TSM and enjoy.

Also:

Wowuction. (Change to your server/faction under the resources tab.) You really want to log in with whatever and grab a key for the TSM app to get their data as well.

And:

Stormspire (forums) for further info/ideas.

That's primarily what I use.

Should give you a good overview of the process. Leaving out finer details since a) Would take too long to iterate, and b) Proprietary info yo! :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's actually kinda neat that you have to go to the Silken Fields to make Imperial Silk. Immersion-y.

Now to level enchanting on my hunter...

CassSept

Oh wow I missed new login screen music. Pretty decent, though I preferred MoP login screen.

Looking over youtube comments it feels like I was the only one who loved the more asian-themed motifs, like login screen or Vale of Eternal Blossoms music.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh I never did post my Hunter transmog
sadasd2ujti.jpg
The clear race/gender of winner Hunters

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
When i first hit Northrend i was 68 with about 100g. Now im at the very beginning of Icecrown and am 85 with 6500g from just questing and doing the zone dungeons once for the quests/story. Now i guess ill see if i can hit 90 in the Cata zones after i finish up the 130 or so quests left in Icecrown.

Magnus

I'm gonna randomly start that Dwarf toon to scratch an itch. What's a busy Alliance server? Where are you GAF alliance players now?

When i first hit Northrend i was 68 with about 100g. Now im at the very beginning of Icecrown and am 85 with 6500g from just questing and doing the zone dungeons once for the quests/story. Now i guess ill see if i can hit 90 in the Cata zones after i finish up the 130 or so quests left in Icecrown.

I'm always torn between staying in one zone to finish the questlines and see what happens, and moving to new zones as soon as I can for greater efficiency (more xp and gold and better rewards for the same time invested)

As a result, I don't think I've actually ever finished a zone. So I've probably actually missed out on tons of cool quests and all of the big chain ending quests for the most part.

On the other hand, it means that there's still surprises everywhere for me. I just discovered for example the Rolling quest on the Great Wall while trying to quickly grind out Lotus rep to honored for an alt. Amazing! lol

Oh wow I missed new login screen music. Pretty decent, though I preferred MoP login screen.

Looking over youtube comments it feels like I was the only one who loved the more asian-themed motifs, like login screen or Vale of Eternal Blossoms music.

Nope, you are not alone! Love love love MOP's soundtrack. My favourite in WoW so far. Nothing gets me like the login screen and Way of the Monk do. They really worked some magic this expansion.

Really wish professions/garrisons weren't in such a state of flux in beta. Really want to know which ones will be worth having more than one copy of. Whether that's inscription early on, or something else. I have a handful of professions slots that I'm not currently using waiting to be leveled when I find out what will be best. Ideally I won't have to level all my characters to 100 to get at least some new benefit out of them all.

Magnus

First:

TradeSkillMaster (TSM). Addon modules + App. Learn it. Use it. Love it. Some tutorial vids that should help.

Second:

Phat Lewt's Transmog List. Import that into TSM and enjoy.

Also:

Wowuction. (Change to your server/faction under the resources tab.) You really want to log in with whatever and grab a key for the TSM app to get their data as well.

And:

Stormspire (forums) for further info/ideas.

That's primarily what I use.

Should give you a good overview of the process. Leaving out finer details since a) Would take too long to iterate, and b) Proprietary info yo! :p

It's taken a little while to wrap my head around all of this. Wow. Thanks!

I'd already been using TSM for some basic functions - auto-undercutting for 1c, smart shopping (to find the lowest per item price for stuff, instead of wasting time manually eyeballing page after page in the normal UI), etc.

Operations scare the fuck out of me. I feel like I may set things up incorrectly, and then accidentally click something that suddenly dumps all 17k gold I have into purchases that I can't flip or re-sell. LOL.

If I understand correctly, what's happening with this TSM list from Phat Lewtz is that he's set up Operations to automatically scan for valuable XMog Greens at specific price threshholds, and then set up Operations to automatically re-post them according to global price trends in the hope that they'll sell at those higher prices.

My confusion though, is: wouldn't each realm only be able to withstand so many people doing this? I feel like every AH must be totally cleared out of valuable underpriced XMog greens by even just 2 or 3 savvy players who are already doing this. What hope do I have? lol

Kintaco

Would not recommend doing a marathon like that after finishing it all. LW might be the worst profession to level (certainly top 3). Though at the very least it was a different goal to accomplish today rather than just mindlessly grinding gold. Did learn some neat tricks for rapidly acquiring various leathers with skinning that I might put to use in the future.
Please share as I'm currently leveling LW on my Rogue and just about to hit the Thick Leather part. /shudder.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I leveled every profession back in the day up to...WLK max and the worst one by far was JC before Outland. So few things you could do, so many hard to get resources you needed. I take it they never really fixed that if people are still complaining about old world Leathercrafting, which was easily second worst.

Great way to make money though with your alts, level them up skinning until 60 and sell that shit whenever an expac drops and people decide they want to get new shiny leather shit without realizing what a fucking awful grind it is.

2k of 3k for Test of Valor, having to wait for a reset to finish this has been annoying. Especially seeing you cap out quite fast doing raids/dailies. Hoping the rest of the chain goes faster.

Please share as I'm currently leveling LW on my Rogue and just about to hit the Thick Leather part. /shudder.

Thick Leather by far the best spot is BRD: http://www.wow-professions.com/farming/thick-leather-farming

I've done that Badlands spot before and it isn't nearly as good (stupid hilly terrain is stupid). Just make sure you're not dumb like me and use a pet/totem to kill the rounded up dogs, since if you don't tag them yourself they'll rapidly despawn and you won't be able to skin them. Nets ~50 leather a run.

For Rugged Leather, best by far is Onyxia's Lair. Just kill the 4 trash dudes in there and reset. Goes really quick. 30-40 leather or so per run (though they give you hides instead frequently enough to be annoying). Note that you do need to have 435 skinning here which is higher than it would take to farm Rugged Leather elsewhere. But oh, so worth it.

Knothide Leather I did Karazhan as described here: http://www.wow-professions.com/farming/knothide-leather-farming. Pretty damn fast. Not sure how the other spots hold up - didn't need to go to Outland at all besides for the Fel Scales needed.

Borean Leather I'm not sure - ended up buying most of it. The wow-professions site recommends Gundrak but I didn't get to try it out. Not the longest grind anyway no matter where you farm.

For Savage Leather - the last grindy one (you need like 500+), there's Zul'Gurub which is supposed to be good, but I didn't try that out since my guy isn't very geared (and I would have had to get myself over there - maybe if you're Alliance it's more convenient.) Anyway, I mostly followed this comment's method after getting frustrated with how slow it was at Tol Barad and elsewhere. Ended up being pretty fast, even when having issues with the crocs. There's also this way which I didn't try because I was going to be dropping skinning anyway and didn't want to drop the effort into getting the quest chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom