• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

I understood the references except for the Paladins..

That being said, Molten Core makes me feel nostalgic about the Classic days. I still have fond memories of the Ragnaros encounter with the guild. We cleared MC, Onyxia, AQ20, and ZG, but struggled with BWL :(

I'm guessing something with pallys doing nothing else but renewing blessings the entire fight.

I'm guessing something with pallys doing nothing else but renewing blessings the entire fight.
I thought pallys have typically been associated with easy to play - so much so that you could literally be drunk and do just fine if not better than most in healing, damage dealing, and tanking.

CassSept

I thought pallys have typically been associated with easy to play - so much so that you could literally be drunk and do just fine if not better than most in healing, damage dealing, and tanking.

That would work post-3.0, but I doubt it's that when we're talking about raiding in classic. Fact is, in vanilla blessings only lasted 5 minutes and there were no greater blessings, so with 40 raid members they could barely do anything outside of rebuffing the entire raid constantly.

Robin64

But people want Vanilla servers again! Where Paladins are just raid buffers, shaman can only heal (oh and those are Alliance/Horde exclusive), mages can't be fire (loads of raids have immunity) and everything is a hunter item.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I'm just going to bring my Shaman and my Hunter into WoD.

I keep thinking I'd like to level and play a rogue again since I did that a lot in BC, but it's got to be one of the most unfun classes to level. You kill stuff quick, but the combo system with how quick stuff dies is just no fun. If there was ever a class I would pay for a boost... Except, I wouldn't. I would want to pay for a boost and a full set of grievous gear, so I don't have to grind that shit since I don't plan on PVEing on the thing.

glaurung

I currently have a casual goblin hunter as my main. I will probably grind him to lv100 first.

But then I will roll a new orc hunter and level him through the entire content again. I haven't done a full leveling experience since Cataclysm. And later on I will roll an undead mage or priest as a mainstay tailor.

I keep thinking I'd like to level and play a rogue again since I did that a lot in BC, but it's got to be one of the most unfun classes to level. You kill stuff quick, but the combo system with how quick stuff dies is just no fun. If there was ever a class I would pay for a boost... Except, I wouldn't. I would want to pay for a boost and a full set of grievous gear, so I don't have to grind that shit since I don't plan on PVEing on the thing.

Rogue's are so easy to level now. Of the 90's I have so far it was by far the quickest from 85-90 while only having Cata blues when Mists came out.

Robin64

In the latest beta build, you can build a Hearthstone area and sometimes you'll get follower missions to recruit Hearthstone players to populate it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Robin64

A Hearthstone addon in WoW would be pretty cool, but I can't see it ever happening.

Remember the Peggle and Bejeweled ones? They were really cool! They really worked them into feeling like part of WoW.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
A Hearthstone addon in WoW would be pretty cool, but I can't see it ever happening.

Remember the Peggle and Bejeweled ones? They were really cool! They really worked them into feeling like part of WoW.

I don't think it'll ever happen, considering a lot of the magic is all the sounds and effects the cards do.

They'd essentially have to put a cut down boring version of the game into a game.

strafer

here they are

CharTitle #406 - ..., Warlord of Draenor
CharTitle #407 - ... the Butcher
CharTitle #408 - Orcslayer ...
CharTitle #409 - ... the Deathstalker
CharTitle #410 - ..., Killer of Kezan
CharTitle #411 - Troll Hunter ...
CharTitle #412 - ..., Slayer of Sin'dorei
CharTitle #413 - ..., Huojin's Fall
CharTitle #414 - Stable Master ...
CharTitle #415 - Talon King ...
CharTitle #416 - Talon Queen ...

That would work post-3.0, but I doubt it's that when we're talking about raiding in classic. Fact is, in vanilla blessings only lasted 5 minutes and there were no greater blessings, so with 40 raid members they could barely do anything outside of rebuffing the entire raid constantly.
Ahh good point.

iirate

But people want Vanilla servers again! Where Paladins are just raid buffers, shaman can only heal (oh and those are Alliance/Horde exclusive), mages can't be fire (loads of raids have immunity) and everything is a hunter item.

If by heal you mean "bring Mana Tide for the priests", then yeah, we healed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Fire was the best build though!

In Naxx!

Which almost no one did because it was too fucking hard! (I spent the rest of the time respecing ice when I needed to raid and fire when I actually wanted to goof around.)

Hixx

here they are

CharTitle #406 - ..., Warlord of Draenor
CharTitle #407 - ... the Butcher
CharTitle #408 - Orcslayer ...
CharTitle #409 - ... the Deathstalker
CharTitle #410 - ..., Killer of Kezan
CharTitle #411 - Troll Hunter ...
CharTitle #412 - ..., Slayer of Sin'dorei
CharTitle #413 - ..., Huojin's Fall
CharTitle #414 - Stable Master ...
CharTitle #415 - Talon King ...
CharTitle #416 - Talon Queen ...

I think the only title that will actually be in game and attainable is Warlord of Draenor as it's what you get for completing the new Brawler's Guild equivalent, it seems. There's no way they'd dish out titles for every one you defeat, surely?

Robin64

If by heal you mean "bring Mana Tide for the priests", then yeah, we healed.

Sorry, I
played Alliance back then
. Shhh.

I think the only title that will actually be in game and attainable is Warlord of Draenor as it's what you get for completing the new Brawler's Guild equivalent, it seems. There's no way they'd dish out titles for every one you defeat, surely?

The Arena you can get for your Garrison has really changed since it was first announced. Now, you get daily/weekly quests from it to go out into the world and slay specific race/class combos. There is a currency to be had from this, too. The titles will doubtless come from this mechanic.

Salamando

You may mock priest racials, but damn if they weren't a cool idea with a flawed execution. Modern WoW could use more race-based flavors (apart from Druids, who are already good on that front)

strafer

What do Druids think about the form changes in that it changes depending on where you are?

If you can fly - Bird
No flying - Travel Form

ampere

Bbbbut Fear Ward (being a Dwarf priest-only ability at the time, IIRC.)

Yeah there was a Priest I used to play with who talked about how many guilds wanted her for Onyxia because she was level 60 and had Fear Ward.

You may mock priest racials, but damn if they weren't a cool idea with a flawed execution. Modern WoW could use more race-based flavors (apart from Druids, who are already good on that front)

Oh the idea was absolutely cool. Only problem is it's the kinda of thing that isn't really tolerated in modern game design. At the time when that type of thing was OK it was a neat way to add variety

Boogdud

I'm kind of in a similar boat, I've played rogue since 1.0 but I don't mind leveling so much as end game. It was great doing end game stuff with the rogue in both 1.0 and tbc but after that the game just seems to punish melee dps for even trying. I mean 1.0 had a lot of requirements for rogues in end game (hit, position, uptime on skills, etc.) it actually required quite a bit of skill to play one really well at end game. But lately and especially with MoP it's like being a melee dps in a raid feels like you're just punishing yourself. Especially after playing the other ranged dps-only classes in raids. The only thing you're buying by being a melee dps in a raid is twice the risk, with zero reward.

I love my rogue, but it just feels like I'm punishing myself trying to play one. I wonder if they'll be doing anything to ease that pain in WoD because it really felt like they were just asking you to give up on the idea of the class in the past couple expansions.

Meanwhile my hunter or warlock just feel so good leveling and in raids/dungeons. It's like a different game.

Will GAF have a guild for WoD when it comes out? My long-time guild has sworn off WoW forever and I need a new home. Hopefully something on the higher end of casual. I want to do more than just flex raids but can't commit to a rough schedule.

witness

But lately and especially with MoP it's like being a melee dps in a raid feels like you're just punishing yourself. Especially after playing the other ranged dps-only classes in raids. The only thing you're buying by being a melee dps in a raid is twice the risk, with zero reward.

Meanwhile my hunter or warlock just feel so good leveling and in raids/dungeons. It's like a different game.

That's exactly how I feel whenever I play my shaman, pally, or DK in a group or raid. It feels like I'm constantly struggling to keep up and having to work harder to stay alive. I get on my hunter or warlock and everything is just so much easier.

mclem

Its tied to an achievement. Everyone in the raid gets it. I can't wait for the Baron Geddon boss fight again. "You're the bomb!" Run! Run!! Gosh, the memories.

I'm wondering how many people will be convinced to 'look through the window behind Golemagg to see Ragnaros!'.

ampere

Will GAF have a guild for WoD when it comes out? My long-time guild has sworn off WoW forever and I need a new home. Hopefully something on the higher end of casual. I want to do more than just flex raids but can't commit to a rough schedule.

I would not count on it since everyone is on different realms. However, we could try to organize weekly runs for Normal/Heroics/Dungeons/Old Raids since they are all cross-realm. Depending on my schedule when WoD comes out I might be up for that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Now, that's not accurate.

We had to cleanse, too.

Buffing 40 people every 5 mins. That was fun. By the time you would finish the first peoples buffs were expiring and the buffing cycle started over :/

Why I switched to a Mage then. Making water was less painful.

I would not count on it since everyone is on different realms. However, we could try to organize weekly runs for Normal/Heroics/Dungeons/Old Raids since they are all cross-realm. Depending on my schedule when WoD comes out I might be up for that.

I think that'd be a great idea. I doubt I'll be able to make the commitment it takes to do heroic/mythic content but I don't want to be stuck doing Flex raids either.

Also: Does anyone have any youtube vid that's not ridiculously long in which I can get caught up on the story starting from Vanilla -> WoD?

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think that'd be a great idea. I doubt I'll be able to make the commitment it takes to do heroic/mythic content but I don't want to be stuck doing Flex raids either.

Mythic content won't be available cross-realm so it's all good.

Here's a breakdown of what the current dungeon level is called and what it will be in WoD

LFR -> LFR (Cross-realm, flexible raid size)
Flex -> Normal (Cross-realm. flexible raid size)
Normal -> Heroic (Cross-realm, flexible raid size)
Heroic -> Mythic (Single realm, 20 man raid size)

So yeah, GAF could definitely do LFR/Flex/Normal together for raids or just do DUngeons and such. There is a google doc in the OP with people's battletags.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Buffing 40 people every 5 mins. That was fun. By the time you would finish the first peoples buffs were expiring and the buffing cycle started over :/

Why I switched to a Mage then. Making water was less painful.

Remove cursing could be a pain in certain fights. Your best bet, despite all of the HUNTARD LEWT jokes going around back then for minimum pain was Hunter.

Ultratech

Remove cursing could be a pain in certain fights. Your best bet, despite all of the HUNTARD LEWT jokes going around back then for minimum pain was Hunter.

Until you had to do Tranq Shot on a boss that required it...and missed causing the Raid to wipe because the boss was under Berserk/Enrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom