• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It really depends on the player, too. I have never been able to click with hunter since the shift away from mana. I find feral druid, ele shaman, ww monk, ret pally all really easy and fun. Disc priest is more fun than shadow IMO, but was a complete blast back when Penance hit harder.

I've never ever understood when people say this.

It's not "mana", it's the lack of aspect of the viper, and instead of switching aspects you just steady shot. That's so much better than constantly aspect twisting throughout a fight it's not even funny.

For all intents and purposes focus IS mana, because it sure isn't energy or rage. Hell you could probably make it back into "mana" tomorrow since replenishment is gone now, and 99% of the people complaining wouldn't even notice the difference other than their bar is blue instead of orange.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
focus is just flavored mana now.

And even this is a little disingenuous.

My Destruction Warlock and Ret Paladin have "mana" but it doesn't work at all like my Druid's "mana". I spend 60,000 mana to cast one ability as a destro lock.

The only difference between pre-cata hunters and now is you don't have dumb mana maintenance, and people don't like that!

Much closer to flavored energy, as many DPS specs don't even really have to pay attention to mana.

It's somewhere in between energy and rage/runepower.

It regens, but slower than like energy for Monks/Rogues.

and you can generate it like rage/runepower, but in much bigger bursts.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
See what a difference punctuation makes?

I meant to say:

Focus is just flavored mana now?

Well you were correct.

We pretty much call the different things 'mana' 'energy' 'rage' 'runes/runepower' and 'focus' just because it's easier and a lot less boring than calling them 'resource'.

Back in pre-cata everyones mana worked generally the same, now mana is as different from class to class and spec to spec as it can be, they might as well be different 'resources'.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I'm a pre cata man. I only stayed long enough to do 1-60 with two new characters and reach level cap with my Mage. What a boring fucking expansion it was at the start for new content.

The old 1-60 stuff was great though.

M.D

What should I take as second spec for druid? My first one is Balance... it feels weak atm :(

What should I consider when taking a second spec? I need gear that is suited for that spec, correct? I'm thinking feral damage because Balance honestly feels weak
There's no aoe damage and the single target damage is not that great atm... I think I should have picked another class.

I had fun with this class when I a trial account a while back, but I think I should have picked something more simple and straight forward

Does it matter what Professions I pick? I picked Mining and Engineering

BearPawB

Banned
Anyone have a link to some impressions of the WoD Raids?

Every video on youtube is a bad quality vid, with too much shit on the screen, and awful music blasting.

iirate

I've never ever understood when people say this.

It's not "mana", it's the lack of aspect of the viper, and instead of switching aspects you just steady shot. That's so much better than constantly aspect twisting throughout a fight it's not even funny.

For all intents and purposes focus IS mana, because it sure isn't energy or rage. Hell you could probably make it back into "mana" tomorrow since replenishment is gone now, and 99% of the people complaining wouldn't even notice the difference other than their bar is blue instead of orange.

Well, I'm not specifically blaming focus. I played a hunter up to the early 40s back during vanilla WoW, and really enjoyed it. When I tried to return to hunters later, I didn't enjoy the class as much. I'm sure it's a great class, and probably a ton more polished than what I played in vanilla, but it doesn't mesh well with how I play WoW. That's all.

strafer

All I remember from playing a Hunter in Vanilla was keeping your pet happy, training your pet, feeding your pet.

And keep your bag full of arrows.

Ultratech

All I remember from playing a Hunter in Vanilla was keeping your pet happy, training your pet, feeding your pet.

Yup...that sounds like the old days.

Always having to keep one type of food on hand to keep your pet happy and not running away.
Having a bag slot solely for ammo...and having to buy such ammo.
(And having to switch said ammo bag depending if you had Arrows or Bullets.)

And the dreaded Dead Zone...*shudder*

I do miss Wing Clip and Raptor Strike a little bit. But only a little bit.

iirate

I really think all of those things helped the class at the time. I was still learning how to play the game, and those early days with all of their unknowns were intrinsically more immersive. As a player, I hadn't seen much yet and wasn't trying to rush through content to level cap. My snow leopard was my trusted ally, so I wanted to keep her fed and happy. Finding a larger ammo pouch was exciting, and carelessly running out of ammo during a fight was a lesson learned.

Also, my highest level character at the time was a 54 shaman, and anything is exciting and fun and new next to vanilla shaman(or paladin) leveling.

vocab

Havent played since I beat siege normal in like November. Did 3 heroic fights, and needed a break. Come back, my baseline ilvl has been upped by 10 ilvls and now i cant raid on my main unless i upgrade two piece of gear a week which will take a month. I just play on my MW now and cry at them probably being garbage in wod. I resubbed for this month to get my lock to 90, but im torn what to play in wod. Ele or lock. Lock is dumb ass brain dead, and i dislike the people who play locks. They are the least humble people in wow right now, and I don't blame them. Wasted my free 90 on druid to give resto a go. It doesn't click with me, it's boring and I hate it compared to MW.

I might play ele cause chain lightning is fucking godlike.

Also, it's impossible to get a Cmode group going, and im not paying gold for cmodes.

/rant

Finished the Deck Your Collection Brawler's Guild thing. All done with that now aside from some stupid side achievements.

But damn do I need a shirt closet. Takes up an inordinate amount of space.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So the next expac is getting rid of guild leveling right? So if I wait until then to come back I can just throw all my alts into my bank character's guild and then buy all the guild only heirlooms that way?

I fucking hate guilds, so this would be awesome if true.

Pixels

WoW is like an old best friend you hang out with every few years. You get all nostalgic but after a few hours you realize it's just not the same.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So the next expac is getting rid of guild leveling right? So if I wait until then to come back I can just throw all my alts into my bank character's guild and then buy all the guild only heirlooms that way?

I fucking hate guilds, so this would be awesome if true.

I'm sure you could also join a leveling guild right now and just buy them and /gquit. It takes about 20 minutes to get honored with a guild these days.

But if you don't want to do that, then yeah I suppose you could get the heirlooms like that, assuming the bonuses aren't tied to a guild achievement or something.

BearPawB

Banned

It can be hard to go back to, especially when you don't have a lot of those social ties anymore.

I log in and my old guild is still all level 85. But i can't leave, incase someone ever comes back!

But, there are still plenty of ways to have fun with WoW. It is just a little tough to get excited about them towards the end of the expansion. That is why I am really hoping for WoD sooner than later.

Or at least a patch with some pre-WoD set up content like they did for Cata.

RPGCrazied

They are showing trolls next, yes? There is only one class I don't have, which is a priest, and I have enough blood elves. I also have a worgen, night elf, undead and a pandaren. I don't want another alliance, and I don't want an orc. So it looks like a troll priest. I hope the males look like the new Vol'jin model!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They are showing trolls next, yes? There is only one class I don't have, which is a priest, and I have enough blood elves. I also have a worgen, night elf, undead and a pandaren. I don't want another alliance, and I don't want an orc. So it looks like a troll priest. I hope the males look like the new Vol'jin model!

Trolls are where I went when I ran out of Blood Elf options. Fun race.

RPGCrazied

Trolls are where I went when I ran out of Blood Elf options. Fun race.

Yeah, blood elves are my favorite race, but having 5 is enough. :p I'm just waiting for all the new updated models to be shown before I decide, but it is looking more an more like I will pick a troll male.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah, blood elves are my favorite race, but having 5 is enough. :p I'm just waiting for all the new updated models to be shown before I decide, but it is looking more an more like I will pick a troll male.

Trolls are cool. And there early leveling experience got so much better after cata.

RPGCrazied

I was going to use my boost on it, but decided to use it on my level 32 druid. I have a full set of heirlooms for my priest anyway. Much as I don't want to level through all of that again, it goes pretty fast.

RPGCrazied

anything 60 or above. Does not matter if you have zero points in the profession so long as it's trained.

Damn. Maybe I should use it on a level 70 something. I have a couple. Only 5 of my classes are 90. 2 of them are 85, but no point using it on those, seems like a waste.

Magnus

You can get a fresh 60 in a day if you really work it.

I still don't know how this is possible. I guess I'm a slow leveller. There's so much non-mounted running around and pre-LFD stuff before 20 that I'd burn 10 hours of play right there.

Never mind that a day /played would still be like 2 weeks or so, real time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
also this if you're a real baller. Wait to drink it until you have to turn in a bunch of quests or get someone who can run you through dungeons real quick+get the quests done. one of these can easily get you 20 levels if you know what you're doing.

KAP151

I stopped playing back when LK was pretty fresh. I absolutely busted my ass to get to 80 and it killed the game for me. I got to that mage city in the sky and havent touched it since, been years literally.

I would love to go back and check out all the older stuff that I missed out on. If I resub and get the free gimped 90, will the gear be able to handle the older stuff, or at least gear I can obtain super quickly without having to do any form of raids etc.

Basically I just want to get a nostalgia fix.

Toon was a lock BTW, if that matters.

vocab

So you rushed to 80, but you didnt see any of the content?

Dude. slow it down next time you play, if you play. Rushing to cap is a waste of time. It's basically a new player trap.

The free 90 can solo pretty much all of vanilla, bc, and most of wrath. I don't think a warlock can solo ICC unless you have some gear.

The gear level they put you at is perfect for gearing up. Already can do lfr as soon as you log in, and timeless isle can get you to siege lfr if you know what you are doing. Of course I get in flexes real easy and shoot my alts up real fast.

I wouldn't recommend it though. If you havent seen any cata content, or even panda content, I would just sub, and go through that manually. I get it, leveling sucks, but take your time. By the time you are done Wod will be out, and youll be on even ground with everyone else. People do old content all the time, so its not hard to join up in a group and just go through it. Though avoid spine of deathwing with randoms.

Alchemy

Any idea when the anniversary stuff is going up? I'm thinking of coming back for it for a month before Warlords hits and I come back for a bigger chunk of time.

Fjordson

Any idea when the anniversary stuff is going up? I'm thinking of coming back for it for a month before Warlords hits and I come back for a bigger chunk of time.
Not until November. The actual 10th anniversary is on November 23 I believe, so near then. Either on the day or earlier that week I'd guess.

Alchemy

Not until November. The actual 10th anniversary is on November 23 I believe, so near then. Either on the day or earlier that week I'd guess.

Was hoping they'd start a little early, try to separate out the anniversary and the expansion launch to get suckers like me to play a little more. Need to somehow resist returning for a few more months.

Fjordson

Was hoping they'd start a little early, try to separate out the anniversary and the expansion launch to get suckers like me to play a little more. Need to somehow resist returning for a few more months.
Hmm, didn't think of the expansion launch. I guess it could come earlier, but I just remember past anniversary stuff coming fairly close to the actual date.

On the other hand, this is the biggest anniversary event they've done recently so maybe they'll put it out earlier.

M.D

I'm trying to do one of the first quests in Eastern Plaguelands, and there's this horde dude just sitting at the place killing alliance players and the mobs.. killed me twice already

he won't leave lol
what a jerk ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom