• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So how convoluted is the Enhancement Shaman rotation/priority system these days? I really enjoy Enhance in BC/Wrath but kinda scared to jump back in and find out that it's not fun to play.

Mostly just use shit on cooldown. Stormstrike on cooldown, Lava lash on cooldown, lightning bolt when maelstrom is at 5 stacks.

Resto shaman from TBC until the revamp had several utility choices to look at when filling in their tree, not to mention the crazy niche specs. Is there no one else that *hates* the fact that respecing is just something that happens every five minutes now?

I don't consider changing my spec multiple times a day to exactly be great design or fun, unless I'm specifically trying new things out. I had a spec back then, something that had choices which reflected my own personal preferences and style, and couldn't be math'd out for each scenario. Glyphs do this to an extent now, and that's great.

I'm not someone that complains a great deal about the game, but the new talent system is one of the most disappointing things I've seen them do, especially considering that there were older trees that proved the old system could work.

When it came out, I was optimistic, but eventually I wondered if it was just a interim system before they went to something more meaningful. Then, Blizzcon hit, and I realized that we're stuck with it.

You are in the minority.

JCizzle

So how convoluted is the Enhancement Shaman rotation/priority system these days? I really enjoyed Enhance in BC/Wrath but kinda scared to jump back in and find out that it's not fun to play.

I love it, you have so many damage sources and it really feels like you're weaving the elements. The rotation isn't bad at all IMO.

Ultratech

Looks like my nearly endless Warbringer hunting finally got me one of those damn mounts!
(Got the Slate one. Just two more now!)

They're getting easier and easier to kill with my Hunter.

Hell, I've just about got it down to a science now killing them solo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So after a mostly successful day of 'dual boxing' one guy is at 36 and the other's at 33. Still don't even know what I want to use the granted levels on, but I know I want to try to Balance Druids and just starfire everything to death

Dot50Cal

Banned
Is anyone else getting this? I'm speaking about the "cast end" animation playing over and over, complete with the cast sound? I don't know when this started but its very frustrating and distracting. I sometimes think I casted by hitting a wrong key or something.

When I'm channeling Malefic Grasp you can see my toon casting the animation a LOT, and even later in the video I just stand there and my toon continues to cast phantom casts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MpB7vleJ0&feature=youtu.be

Fjordson

What's the thing with shamans where like...they transform into a human model? It's hard to describe, but it seems like a "proc" of some sort. Like their character model transforms completely into some weird looking guy in robes or something. Pretty sure I've seen it on elemental and enhancement shamans. Looks pretty bad ass.

Salamando

What's the thing with shamans where like...they transform into a human model? It's hard to describe, but it seems like a "proc" of some sort. Like their character model transforms completely into some weird looking guy in robes or something. Pretty sure I've seen it on elemental and enhancement shamans. Looks pretty bad ass.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=114049/

Got H Galakras down...now 3/14H. Also filled in my last sub-553 slot. At his rate, WoD can't come soon enough

Cipherr

I have my Disc priest at 551 ilvl or so. So Ive been working on my druid lately. Hit 90 and managed to quickly get to 496 ilvl so I could clear SOO LFR this week. I have to say, in comparison of the two when healing, Disc is alot 'easier'. Feels like less skills overall to manage. Very condensed and straightforward playstyle. On resto I have more keybinds, but in exchange, the fucking toolkit is massive. And jesus Christ at Efflo, unreal.

The only downside so far in comparison is that I find Balance as a dps offspec (for questing) HORRIBLE. What an assy terrible feeling spec man. Maybe it will get better with gear, but it sucks so far.

Resto shaman from TBC until the revamp had several utility choices to look at when filling in their tree, not to mention the crazy niche specs. Is there no one else that *hates* the fact that respecing is just something that happens every five minutes now?

I don't consider changing my spec multiple times a day to exactly be great design or fun, unless I'm specifically trying new things out. I had a spec back then, something that had choices which reflected my own personal preferences and style, and couldn't be math'd out for each scenario. Glyphs do this to an extent now, and that's great.

I'm not someone that complains a great deal about the game, but the new talent system is one of the most disappointing things I've seen them do, especially considering that there were older trees that proved the old system could work.

When it came out, I was optimistic, but eventually I wondered if it was just a interim system before they went to something more meaningful. Then, Blizzcon hit, and I realized that we're stuck with it.

Sorry man, you are alone on that one. I recall putting points in stuff to increase my damage by % per point. That stuff was boring and worthless. You HAD to take them. Your real 'choices' boiled down to 6 or so points here and there. And now you still get 6 choices, and will get more in the future.

The old system was the very definition of fluff. Im glad its gone. Glyphs + new talents >>>>>> the old long ass talent trees. I get more choices and more variety now then I ever did.

TheYanger

I have my Disc priest at 551 ilvl or so. So Ive been working on my druid lately. Hit 90 and managed to quickly get to 496 ilvl so I could clear SOO LFR this week. I have to say, in comparison of the two when healing, Disc is alot 'easier'. Feels like less skills overall to manage. Very condensed and straightforward playstyle. On resto I have more keybinds, but in exchange, the fucking toolkit is massive. And jesus Christ at Efflo, unreal.

The only downside so far in comparison is that I find Balance as a dps offspec (for questing) HORRIBLE. What an assy terrible feeling spec man. Maybe it will get better with gear, but it sucks so far.

Sorry man, you are alone on that one. I recall putting points in stuff to increase my damage by % per point. That stuff was boring and worthless. You HAD to take them. Your real 'choices' boiled down to 6 or so points here and there. And now you still get 6 choices, and will get more in the future.

The old system was the very definition of fluff. Im glad its gone. Glyphs + new talents >>>>>> the old long ass talent trees. I get more choices and more variety now then I ever did.

This.

If I needed a specific utility talent back then, I had to go to my trainer and get a summon back. It was strictly worse. The other 45 points I spent were a matter of fact that were in fact mathed out strictly, in fact now there's barely math to do for most classes, how do I math out Gorefiend's Grasp vs Remorseless Winter? You don't, you decide which one is more helpful for what you're doing. Does it mean I respec often? Yes, yes it does. I probably would do it less if I couldn't just do it in the field, but if something is truly important all that meant before was sitting there and summoning me back while I sat there clicking talents over and over and wasting 50 gold.

The math line is really confusing. You literally DID math out everything before, because 90% of the talents were number changes. Now they all DO things.

Blizzards choice for talents is actually pretty intelligent. I was playing swtor a few weeks ago and was amazed at how shitty going back to talent trees felt. There was an optimum build and that was it. You didn't start getting the interesting shit for a long time.

And I was one of the people who whined about the change blizzard made. After going back to a game that had talent trees the way WoW did, I really think blizzard made the right choice. Your choices of talents feel like actual choices based on how you want to play.

I really think for a lot of people what they miss is the illusion of choice that talent trees presented. There's all those things you can put points into, and because there are so many it feels like you have choices. But you really don't.

CassSept

/.../

Maybe it was like that for resto shamans*, but honestly respecing took about as much time as now only it cost more, for the most part you just went on autopilot selecting same talents over and over again.

At first I was pretty shocked, sure. After my distaste of Cata I thought they're killing the game for good, but the new iteration of talent system turned to be amazing and I'm happy that they 're staying with it.

*on my prot pala alt I remember having some wiggle room, but on rogues there was never any real meaningful choice unless you wanted to play a terribad terribad spec or the short period of the ridiculously op Honor Among Thieves during 3.0.

I spent three hours in Gates LFR last night and I've come to the conclusion that after I get my last four Titan stones, I'm never touching it again. I'll flex Garrosh if I need to. The amount of negativity has just gotten to be too much. I wish I could blame it on the holidays but I'm not sure that's the case...

Jag

I spent three hours in Gates LFR last night and I've come to the conclusion that after I get my last four Titan stones, I'm never touching it again. I'll flex Garrosh if I need to. The amount of negativity has just gotten to be too much. I wish I could blame it on the holidays but I'm not sure that's the case...

It really is so bad. When I was raiding, I spent so many hours in raid that the stones wouldn't be an issue, but trying to do it as a casual in LFR really sucks.

My warrior is now equiped with 496 gear from timeless isle, but whats missing is a 2h weapon.

Whats the best way to get one? Im not keen on spending 20k on one from the auction house.

My warrior is now equiped with 496 gear from timeless isle, but whats missing is a 2h weapon.

Whats the best way to get one? Im not keen on spending 20k on one from the auction house.

do lfr.

Before you do that, do a key run on timeless isle to get elder charms. Just loot all the chests in the first room. This gives you an extra roll and some gold.

vocab

do lfr.

Before you do that, do a key run on timeless isle to get elder charms. Just loot all the chests in the first room. This gives you an extra roll and some gold.

Charms is a waste of time unless you are suggesting to him to stock charms for old weapons.

Could grind for honor or conquest points for a PvP weapon that's guaranteed. Otherwise, do LFR and hope you get it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd love to meet the chucklefucks who said 'no i want my low level zones ALIVE so i can wait in line for quest mobs to spawn and make everything a fucking pain!' that blizzard listened to. I don't mean letting people cross realm party. I mean the zones where it just sort of shoves multiple servers into it.

Because I never want to level another character again because of this shit.

Shadowburn battlegroup is SHIT for Alliance. Played like half a dozen low-level BGs now and haven't won a single one. :/

Not even gonna bother anymore unless I can get AV.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd love to meet the chucklefucks who said 'no i want my low level zones ALIVE so i can wait in line for quest mobs to spawn and make everything a fucking pain!' that blizzard listened to. I don't mean letting people cross realm party. I mean the zones where it just sort of shoves multiple servers into it.

Welcome to MMOS? Same thing will happen during the first days/weeks of WoD in Draenor.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Eh, I've never seen it be really bad. And honestly I'd rather have a populated zone than a dead one. More interesting than never seeing a soul out in the world while leveling.

Yeah, its never that bad, i've been lvling a Tauren Hunter and Dwarf Shaman lately, and at worst i have to wait 2 mins if someone just killed a unique quest monster, they respawn rather fast.

Fjordson

Eh, I've never seen it be really bad. And honestly I'd rather have a populated zone than a dead one. More interesting than never seeing a soul out in the world while leveling.
Absolutely. I love packed zones personally, though I may be in the minority there. Cross-realm zones have reminded me of why I've been on a PvP server since vanilla. Makes the world so much more interesting.

Also - just broke down and renewed my main account.

While I'll probably spend more time playing alts, as someone who hasn't played their max level characters since 5.0, wat do?

I know Timeless Isle, LFR, I guess, but anything more specific?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Also - just broke down and renewed my main account.

While I'll probably spend more time playing alts, as someone who hasn't played their max level characters since 5.0, wat do?

I know Timeless Isle, LFR, I guess, but anything more specific?
Look for treasure chests that are scattered around Timeless Isle. That's what I did - they're full of epics that should get you to a high enough ilvl to do LFR. If you want, you can queue up for heroics while you're looking for chests - by the time you're done, more chests will have respawned, and you might find higher ilvl gear in the heroics anyway. Plus, it gives you Valor Points, which you can also spend on higher level gear.

Once you can LFR, just keep doing that.

Ugh, I have so many high-level alts that I'm so dazzled by all the abilities and random crap in the bags.

Hard enough dealing with max level characters, but the high-level alts are probably worse in terms of dealing with them. For example - knew I had a Grand Staff of Jordan somewhere, couldn't figure out where. Turns out it was on a character 2 servers ago.

Deleted a few characters, one level 13 Warlock since I'd rather reroll fresh if I'm going to do that, and some name placeholder alts.

SO. MUCH. TO DO.

Not to mention addons, but I was able to import the settings from the basic set I was using with the alt account, so that's nice. Otherwise it's at least an hour or so setting that up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
These guys should be tameable
172824.jpg

Fjordson

Goddamn, the set bonuses for hunters this tier are so good that I'm actually having to hold off on 567 Warforged gear in favor of 548 tier gear. It would actually be a DPS loss despite the 19 additional item levels on the Warforged stuff.

Boogdud

Goddamn, the set bonuses for hunters this tier are so good that I'm actually having to hold off on 567 Warforged gear in favor of 548 tier gear. It would actually be a DPS loss despite the 19 additional item levels on the Warforged stuff.

Explosive shot! Explosive shot! Explosive shot! Explosive shot! X like, 100

it's beautimus.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am really having issue keeping up with a main. Not because I hate them, but because I like them all so much.

Elemental Shaman
+Have tons of experience playing
+I like ranged
+I like shooting lightning as if I were Palpatine, and I like how Chain Lightning is strictly AOE now though I wish Lightning Bolt would get a new spell effect
+Sweet Pandaren casting animations.
-Done it before
-They use staffs frequently now and it kind of takes away the 'iconic' mace and shield look that I liked for Shaman. I like shields.

Windwalker Monk
+Reminds me of a way more complex/versatile rogue from when I played combat in BC(I'm sure rogue rotations are way crazier now)
+I know I'm going to want to play him more when WoD models hit for Orcs especially as an Orc-centric expansion.
+I really dig how it plays. The rotations are fun, and I kind of love that they have like WOTLK level of cooldown management for WW.
+It has a ton of buttons
-It has a ton of buttons
-melee dps, fine in 5-mans and soloing, but I just keep thinking of all those Cinderlord deaths on my DK

Marksman Hunter
+I like seeing and tameing new pets.
+FemGoblins are awesome
+FemGoblins are awesome as hunters. Especially with /laugh during BGs
+High end bows and guns look visually awesome. Hunters have some of the best transmog gear.
+Really useful for soloing dungeons for mount runs
-Rocket pack isn't needed with disengage on such a short timer
-Most her racials suck
-Lots of Hunters playing, as usual even if they do seem kind of in demand in raiding guilds(but not as much as WW or Elemental). On my server at least.

Protection Warrior
+Again, sweet Pandaren model. You don't see a ton of Pandaren warriors, and it's too bad because they can look awesome
+I like shields. I like whacking stuff with shields
+Epicurean. Period.
+Bouncy. Period.
+I'm a control freak, and that's kind of the tank's role in a 5-man
-Not confident enough to tank anything.
-Seems hard to find raiding guilds due to them already having tanks. And I'd rather not flex as a tank if I can help it.

Played my mage for the first time in MoP. Got to 87, some random thoughts.

Frost orb is amazing, way better then flame orb. Though I don't think they had to remove flame orb, just could have kept it exclusive to fire. It was a neat looking spell, and I will miss it.

Mage talent tree is the worst in the game, very boring and bleh choices. The 90 talents seem more frustrating then fun to use.

Alter time is underwhelming, I would imagine it's actually a pretty good CD, but it's just very flat.

Icicle mastery seems a lot worse then the old frost mastery, but I think it looks awesome, it reminds me of that one cutscene from FF8, which is why I have always liked ice magic so much.

I will miss blastwave.

The new glyphs to change the appearance and size of the water elemental are very welcome, that thing has not aged well.

Also, can a 90 mage solo heroic End Time? I don't really have a concept of how powerful 90's are yet.

Wait till you see your armor sets and special meta gems, booooring as hell.

But still your best skill for massive damage is your Alter time sadly, you can get 5 more secs of special buffs.

OH GOD WHAT DO ALL THESE BUTTONS DO WAIT THIS IS A NEW MOUSE THAT OLD PALM BUTTON WHICH WAS A REFLEX FOR REVENGE IS GONE OH GOD

Lots to get used to. Easier just playing fresh alts :/

And this is just my Warrior - don't even want to touch my (former?) main DK yet. 70 Rogue, 75 Priest, and 70 Mage are less helpful than fun in this scenario...

Not to mention figuring out what professions I need all the alts to be.

Ultratech

Did a ToT "fun run" earlier.

It actually went fairly well until we hit Dark Animus.

Nobody could put together a good strategy for it and we kept wiping continuously.
Think we wiped like 14-15 times. :(

On the funny side, Jin'rokh went down like a punk. We had him dead before he could get off his first Lightning storm.
Think I had like nearly 400k on him, it was so hilarious.

Explosive shot! Explosive shot! Explosive shot! Explosive shot! X like, 100

it's beautimus.

Yeah, that 4-set bonus is friggin' bonkers. I've read stuff were people have gotten like crazy chains of Explosive Shots.

Touch

Killed Ordos on my Priest and got a helm. Decided to roll anyway and got the other helm. :D Not sure if want but decent luck I suppose.

Dot50Cal

Banned
God help me, We're raiding Sunday and Monday and only Paragons stand between us and mega-wipe 2000 on Garrosh.

We've been at him now for around 4 weeks and its just such a wipe fest. 6 hours (3 each night), I don't think my fragile psyche can handle this.

strafer

I am really having issue keeping up with a main. Not because I hate them, but because I like them all so much.

Elemental Shaman
+Have tons of experience playing
+I like ranged
+I like shooting lightning as if I were Palpatine, and I like how Chain Lightning is strictly AOE now though I wish Lightning Bolt would get a new spell effect
+Sweet Pandaren casting animations.
-Done it before
-They use staffs frequently now and it kind of takes away the 'iconic' mace and shield look that I liked for Shaman. I like shields.

Windwalker Monk
+Reminds me of a way more complex/versatile rogue from when I played combat in BC(I'm sure rogue rotations are way crazier now)
+I know I'm going to want to play him more when WoD models hit for Orcs especially as an Orc-centric expansion.
+I really dig how it plays. The rotations are fun, and I kind of love that they have like WOTLK level of cooldown management for WW.
+It has a ton of buttons
-It has a ton of buttons
-melee dps, fine in 5-mans and soloing, but I just keep thinking of all those Cinderlord deaths on my DK

Marksman Hunter
+I like seeing and tameing new pets.
+FemGoblins are awesome
+FemGoblins are awesome as hunters. Especially with /laugh during BGs
+High end bows and guns look visually awesome. Hunters have some of the best transmog gear.
+Really useful for soloing dungeons for mount runs
-Rocket pack isn't needed with disengage on such a short timer
-Most her racials suck
-Lots of Hunters playing, as usual even if they do seem kind of in demand in raiding guilds(but not as much as WW or Elemental). On my server at least.

Protection Warrior
+Again, sweet Pandaren model. You don't see a ton of Pandaren warriors, and it's too bad because they can look awesome
+I like shields. I like whacking stuff with shields
+Epicurean. Period.
+Bouncy. Period.
+I'm a control freak, and that's kind of the tank's role in a 5-man
-Not confident enough to tank anything.
-Seems hard to find raiding guilds due to them already having tanks. And I'd rather not flex as a tank if I can help it.

This is totally me. But I'm sticking with my new Shaman now.

:p

Cipherr

Try doing it on Tuesday. Its a hot mess the later in the week you wait to do it.

I hear you. I just leveled my Druid and I was shocked. My server is jam packed with alliance, but you could still do leveling easy prior to the realm merges. But its jampacked in every leveling zone now. Even stuff people normally skip like Netherstorm and Icecrown have people all over the quest mobs.

And dont even try the zones everyone uses, like Hellfire Dragonblight or The Hinterlands. Its been so long since WoW has has really populated leveling zones that I had forgotten how that felt. So much competition for mobs its crazy.

Yeah I hear you. It bothered me mainly though only when I came across a quest where respawn timers were obviously not adjusted upwards for the 20 of us in the area waiting on monsters. They need to really go back and fix spawn times to address that with these new server merges.

Salamando

I really need to figure out what I want to do in this game. My main can't do much outside of raids right now, so I'm left with a small army of alts...do I continue gearing my Paladin as Prot so that I can eventually acquire the Tusks of Mannoroth off Garrosh Normal (currently only 510 ilvl)...or do I multibox some Mages using RAF and use the grantable levels on my Lock, thus giving me one of every class at >80 once everything's done?

Fjordson

Man, Leatherworking is pretty awesome. Can make easy money from the leg enchants on my server and I just got the pattern for the 553 hunter legs. Big upgrade over my current raid finder ones!

Also, anyone use SpartanUI here? My friend uses it and sent me a few screens, it looks great. Is it hard to set up?

ZenaxPure

The Bear and the Lady Fair does not exist. So sick of running scenarios.

This was my luck getting the Darkmoon Fair one, finally got it a couple days ago though. I think the only ones I need now are the fishing one, the farming one, and the Tol'vir one.

I suspect the Tol'vir one will be the worst thing ever.

strafer

Indirect Flight Paths
Ok Blizzard. Please create direct flight paths. Seriously stop wasting our time with connecting flights and slow flight path speeds. This isn't real life, you aren't losing money every time a flight path takes off half empty... PLEASE PLEASE just make direct flights and speed this [fluffy bunny] up. Your just wasting our time on these 5 min flights. That is why people stop playing, poor customer design and input.

Blizz
We've said it in the past, but I'll repeat it here. If there are bad flight paths that just don't make sense, let us know. We can always take a look at them. We also plan to make sure the flight paths and transportation in Warlords of Draenor is as convenient as possible as well. We don't plan to remove the feeling of traveling feeling like traveling still though.

Yes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I made a Mage as an alt for recruit a friend, instead of a Druid or Shaman like I had planned. Did I make a mistake? I see a lot of Mage hate/disinterest these days.

I made a Mage as an alt for recruit a friend, instead of a Druid or Shaman like I had planned. Did I make a mistake? I see a lot of Mage hate/disinterest these days.

Mages are hard to be loved compared for the other classes, I am looking at you Hunters and your sexy bonus everything.

JCizzle

Nah, I think Mage seem pretty cool other than the level 90 talents that seem like shit to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom